• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogdud

They seriously need to figure out what the hell is going on with security forces just randomly turning on you. It happens to me EVERY time I'm bounty hunting (which is a lot). I'll be racking up a good 100-200k in bounties and all of a sudden, without me hitting them even once, or even bumping into a security force ship, they suddenly become red and start chirping about 'lining up for kill' and start firing on me. If I supercruise out and then come right back in they'll either be gone or reset to friendly. It's driving me nuts.

Also, I had to kill Leto Atreides and Lonestar in the same night. Two of my favorite sci fi heroes... RIP in piece.

Just collected two small NPC bounties. Game is really starting to kick in for me. Can't wait to get my hotas.

Oh god I pity your free time once you have a HOTAS.

They seriously need to figure out what the hell is going on with security forces just randomly turning on you. It happens to me EVERY time I'm bounty hunting (which is a lot). I'll be racking up a good 100-200k in bounties and all of a sudden, without me hitting them even once, or even bumping into a security force ship, they suddenly become red and start chirping about 'lining up for kill' and start firing on me. If I supercruise out and then come right back in they'll either be gone or reset to friendly. It's driving me nuts.

Also, I had to kill Leto Atreides and Lonestar in the same night. Two of my favorite sci fi heroes... RIP in piece.

It has to be a bug. Same thing has happened to me. No warrants, not wanted by any system, and then boom, they're lining up firing runs on me. And the same faction I'm working for, no less! Has to be a bug.

It has to be a bug. Same thing has happened to me. No warrants, not wanted by any system, and then boom, they're lining up firing runs on me. And the same faction I'm working for, no less! Has to be a bug.

Same here.

And you know what's awesome. Having a turreted weapon that decides to return fire on them so I get bounty and a hit to faction rep.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

I thought that was only happening to me (perhaps the Wanted has "Report attacks to Federation" or whatever it is lol). I don't understand either how a Wanted and Security Forces can be within each others target range without the SF going after him.

So this is common then? I keep wondering why this happens, figured maybe I was accidentally hitting someone and not seeing the bounty pop up.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Good god Yukou and Dain are gold mines. Make 200k in a couple hours porting slaves running other random missions, non cargo delivery, blackbox, rebel transmission missions are all rather easy. Yukous always has a lot of unknown signals popping up around the station. And it is especially great as it has a black market to sell stuff at with no security to bother you. Best thing is that both stations often will offer up missions for you to deliver slaves and yet they both sell them, 22-25k for 2 slaves with a payout of 49k, so a good 22-25k profit.

JINYX

Neo Member
So this is common then? I keep wondering why this happens, figured maybe I was accidentally hitting someone and not seeing the bounty pop up.

Yes it's a known issue, I expect it to be fixed shortly. I think what's happening is you're firing on someone wanted who happens to be the cops buddies, or at least that's what I keep telling myself.

JambiBum

Boo. What % of the value do you get for part-ex?

I think you only lose 10% of the value from it.

Also I just had a hilarious moment with a friend. He got interdicted by a player, the player cargo scanned him (he got a fine for carrying illegal cargo when he was scanned, didn't know this happened if you got cargo scanned by players) and then the guy just left. I found the guy out in supercruise so I interdicted him and asked him why he interdicted my friend. The guy said that he was a voyeur. I said watch this, and flew straigh at him. Shot him a couple of times so his shields were low, then crashed into him and we both blew up. I lost the couple of slaves I was carrying but it was worth it just for the moment.

I'm not sure what's going on today or if my game is glitched in a really entertaining way, but I've happened across no fewer than three different stations blasting a bunch of ships to shreds as they try to dock or take off. One of the ships blown up by a station was this big ship (Cobra, maybe?) stuck right in the slot, leaving me in my tiny Hauler to kind of sidestep the wreckage while landing. I've also seen ships get blown up inside stations while trying to undock. It's really weird to fly past all of these firefights all "don't mind me just driving some coffee two sectors away doot doo doo" like there's some civil war I don't know about.

ALSO WORTH NOTING!

If you have turreted weapons and manage to get yourself past hostile fire from Security ships into a station and successfully dock, whatever you do, make sure you do NOT I repeat do NOT go into the outfitting menu. Your turrets will go live and open fire right in the hangar, the station won't like that AT ALL.

Haha holy shit I love this game. Just got a nice 88K bounty off an NPC pirate and now I can finally get my Eagle...I've got about 53K left, what hardpoints should I essentially outfit it with?

Haha holy shit I love this game. Just got a nice 88K bounty off an NPC pirate and now I can finally get my Eagle...I've got about 53K left, what hardpoints should I essentially outfit it with?

Two multi cannons + pulse or burst lasers.

edit: gimballed cannons, fixed lasers. Can't go wrong with the basics. Lasers to take out shields and low risk ships, cannons to take out hulls.

Edit 2: Just delivered silver to Balatu for Jet Comms...and it took away influence from Jet Comma while increased economic turmoil. Wtf.

Two multi cannons + pulse or burst lasers.

edit: gimballed cannons, fixed lasers. Can't go wrong with the basics. Lasers to take out shields and low risk ships, cannons to take out hulls.

I'll definitely do that then, thanks! Damn that thing is easy to fly. Just can't wait for my stick...My pilot's now enjoying the pleasures of Serebrov Station while I take to bed.

I've been trading rares today so I'm ages away from Ho Hsi now (about 250-300LY I think) in the George Lucas station in Leesti.

With only an 18 ton cargo hold I was turning over 150k a sale. I've now got enough for a Cobra so I'll grab one of them soon once I've got enough for things to go in it!

Smash88

Banned
So Christmas happened... And now I'm buying the game way before I thought I ever would - as some of you know my story.

This better blow my mind guys.

So Christmas happened... And now I'm buying the game way before I thought I ever would - as some of you know my story.

This better blow my mind guys.

I think its a solid game, through and through, but whether or not it blows your mind depends on the type of games you like.

Sephon

Nah, 8 is fine, 7 is just the point where you're ship will start naturally slowing down to hit safe disengage, if you go blue before that you'll notice the autopilot briefly increase your speed before slowing down. 7 seconds is the most efficient point. Don't go beyond that though, 6 seconds and lower and you'll probably overshoot.

In my experience 6 seconds is also fine as long as you stay in the upper 6 and don't push your luck, and you can even accelerate up to 4 or 5 seconds when you're about 2-3 Mm away from the target if you're fast on the disengage.

Sephon

On the Rift? Alright, I'll try and save up for one.

Just be wary, I'm on a GTX 980 and some stations still gets me below 30-40 fps on the rift which is pretty jarring. But I think it's a question of lacking optimisation since I think it only occurs on the newest type of station.

[Edit] Sorry for the double posting...

Anybody else using the Oculus Rift fly into a gas giant at X times the speed of light? I found the experience legitimately horrifying. I'm honestly having to psyche myself up to do it again.

I've only gotten too close to a star a couple of times, and everytime I'm thrown out of SC, I sincerely position myself at the edge of my seat and start to feel the panic rising.
Only feeling I can compare it to is starting to lose control of my bike when there's a lot of traffic.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Note to self: Harmless Pythons are not the sitting ducks you think they are.

I'm having some difficulty preventing my targets from supercruising away from me. Is the only counter to this just sticking to them as close as possible, shooting out their drives, or shooting them down in the time it takes them to charge up with the mass factor mallus?

LeBart

Any tips for my first time?

Don't worry about dying. You get a free Sidewinder with two pulse lasers when you die, and it's more than enough to get started, so don't be afraid to try things out! Kill things, try to dock at full speed, hunt criminals, terrorize traders, do whatever... just have fun checking out the mechanics.

You'll have plenty of time to worry about the consequences of your actions when you're flying a super expensive ship full of valuable cargo. :p

Smash88

Banned
I'm trying to install the game and I'm stuck on "download manifest", because I lost my download connection before?

EDIT: Terrible first impressions, I'll tell you that much.

raLorGT.png

JambiBum

I'm having some difficulty preventing my targets from supercruising away from me. Is the only counter to this just sticking to them as close as possible, shooting out their drives, or shooting them down in the time it takes them to charge up with the mass factor mallus?

Those are your options yeah. Just think of them as players who try to run away when they are about to die instead of AI who just let you kill them.

AJLma

You can try ramming them, staying close slows down their charge and if they're trying to warp between systems you throw them off course.

And yea, I never mess with Pythons, massive shields plus all heavy weapons hardpoints.

Does anybody else have an issue where the game will spontaneously drop to the desktop? It doesn't crash as I can still hear my ships cruising but it gives me know way to open the client back up. When I go to hit ctrl+alt+del are hear my ship switch to silent running as del is my bind for this task.

It's only a minor annoyance as the save states in this game are so good, but frustrating none the less.

SmartBase

I take it large volume trading is the only way of making serious bank?

I've been bounty hunting for a while in a fully kitted out Viper but the goddamned system authority vessels always opening fire on you for no reason is really irritating.

I've been bounty hunting for a while in a fully kitted out Viper but the goddamned system authority vessels always opening fire on you for no reason is really irritating.

I didn't start making good money until I concentrated on trading. Once I've got a large bank roll I'll buy a ship that can do both hunting and trading/exploring and do less grinding.

ALSO WORTH NOTING!

If you have turreted weapons and manage to get yourself past hostile fire from Security ships into a station and successfully dock, whatever you do, make sure you do NOT I repeat do NOT go into the outfitting menu. Your turrets will go live and open fire right in the hangar, the station won't like that AT ALL.

Did you shadowplay this?

JambiBum

System authority vessels don't attack you for no reason. If you attack someone is who is a member of the controlling faction of a system the controlling authority will attack you, even if they are wanted.

Seriously have no idea what's going on with Ho Hsi/Jet Comm. 50/48 split in Ho Hsi favor, and one of my Jet Comm missions reduced their influence, and they're showing my rep with them trending down, even though I've been doing their missions out of Hand Ring. I'm still wanted by Ho Hsi.

Fuck it. Time to roam a resource extraction area.

SmartBase

I didn't start making good money until I concentrated on trading. Once I've got a large bank roll I'll buy a ship that can do both hunting and trading/exploring and do less grinding.

Almost half way to getting an Asp, though I don't know if it's any good in combat.

System authority vessels don't attack you for no reason. If you attack someone is who is a member of the controlling faction of a system the controlling authority will attack you, even if they are wanted.

It hardly makes sense to have Federal ships attack you for attacking ships that are wanted in Federation space. After I outrun the Feds they just turn around and go after the ship that I was gunning down to begin with.

I'll just stick to getting bounties in the anarchist systems.

elyetis

Same here. If at least you didn't have to go back to a station every time it happen...
I got friendly with the federation, yet you do one small miss step ( likea security ship going where you shoot when you try to kill someone wanted... ) worth 200 bounty on you and it's an instant "I KILL YOU I KILL YOU".
It's not hard to flee from them go to a station, then come back... but it's such a huge waste of time.

"I've been playing solo so far, how is open play? Will I instantly get blown to pieces by other players?"

Due to bounties and system security, there isn't really wanton world PVP and ganking. And in general a large portion of the people who play the game seem to be kind of carebeary. Nothing to really be concerned about.

Nymerio

I have yet to run into anyone except other gaffers. Others have, though.

Nope. I haven't actually seen any PVP yet.

I have yet to scan a CMDR player. I'm sure there's been some around though as I've seen a few sidewinders flying pretty poorly near popular stations.

Oh, ok. Guess I'll hop in then.

Question about piracy: I've seen a video of that Isinona guy where he's flying around with a guy and they rob some haulers but I don't think I've seen them get fined. If I attack any ship that's not wanted I get fined right? Or do I only get fined if system authority vessels are nearby?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Anyone play with Burst Lasers? How do they feel? Right now my Eagle is running:

1 x Pulse Laser, Fixed/Class 1/Rating F (I want to upgrade this)
2 x Multi-Cannon, Gimballed/Class 1/Rating G (I'm very happy with these)

Johnjamin

Neo Member
ALSO WORTH NOTING!

Just In case you didn't know on the functions tab of the right panel you can change the turret to only target locked on or be fixed instead of free fire which is what it sounds like what happened...

I'm happy with burst, but haven't played with all three types to know which I like best. Burst seem best for people (like me) who can't consistently maintain a target, but can long enough for a burst.

I'm running 2x gimballed multi-cannons and 2x fixed burst lasers on my Viper. Works pretty well for me so far.

Earned about 200k tonight in bounties (honestly, only stopped because a Fed security ship rammed me and charged me with assault), and that was in a few hours where I mostly focused on Jet Comm missions (to little/no effect, unfortunately). For early/low-level gaming, bounty hunting seems most lucrative. I know once you get haulers or ships in general with larger cargo capacity, that may change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom