• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just In case you didn't know on the functions tab of the right panel you can change the turret to only target locked on or be fixed instead of free fire which is what it sounds like what happened...

I had it set to Target only, it's a bug, I was safely in the hanger for a while checking the market, bulletin board etc, when I hit outfitting to see about an upgrade the hardpoints deploy like they usually do and my fucking laser decided to go all Kaneda on the station interior. I paid the fine since I was in there anyway but when I went to launch things went REAL bad REAL quick. Made it to the exit before it popped me.

Ran into my first system with two stars in close proximity today, looked pretty good...

16084513931_cd0e41ae2e_o.png

Atruvius

Was hunting William A. Webb again and this time he didn't escape. He one shotted my eagle. His ship was pointed at me and I started scanning me at which point he pull up his hardpoints and I just see a bright violet light swooshing at me and I explode. It was pretty awesome!

Don't go nose to nose with an Anaconda in an Eagle.

bj00rn_

Banned
I'm trying to install the game and I'm stuck on "download manifest", because I lost my download connection before?

EDIT: Terrible first impressions, I'll tell you that much.

raLorGT.png

Did you find a solution?

I've seen some people with the same problem having issues with their AVG or other antivirus programs. Try to find a way to disable.

Also try to restart the launcher a few times.

If that doesn't help, perhaps try to uninstall everything and try from scratch.

Other people with the same issue:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=77320

Smash88

Banned
Did you find a solution?

I've seen some people with the same problem having issues with their AVG or other antivirus programs. Try to find a way to disable.

I had to literally sit there and brute force it until it finished. Just clicking like a mad man to install after each drop or fail. Probably the most annoying thing. Then I had many graphic driver crashes, so I updated to betas and that fixed it. It's just exhausting I have to go through all this to run a game, and now it's 7am and I'm sleepy, frustrated and annoyed.

Xanezz

Banned
Due to bounties and system security, there isn't really wanton world PVP and ganking. And in general a large portion of the people who play the game seem to be kind of carebeary. Nothing to really be concerned about.

Am I detecting some EVE snark here?

But yeah, every time I stumble over someone that isn't an NPC they're either crash landing their ship in the dock next to me or running away from me as fast as possible as I scan them (without any cruel intentions, I assure you)

What do I need to do to get a permit to sol?

I believe you need to be buddy buddy with the federation, read somewhere that people who got a certain promotion for the Fed navy got a ticket for Sol as well. Not sure if that's the only way.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So I've gotten a few friends to pick this up because of how much I talk about it. They like it but I have realized that one is basically the poster child for why games introduce in app purchases for short cutting the "grind". Every chance he gets he just asks if there is a way he can take out a loan to buy a new ship or if he can just pay real money to buy whatever he wants. I didn't actually realize that there were people who enjoyed doing that. I guess it makes sense though since the system works for some games.
In this age there are more people willing to pay than grind.
Can you imagine if it did?

"Whoo, I just paid 100$ and got an Anaconda!1!1!"

*instantly crashes into docking bay trying to leave; doesn't have enough to cover rebuy costs.

They'd just buy another ship.

LogicStep

Yesterday I didn't play the game either. I installed the main game and saw that there were more tutorials so I just played those and started to figure out the controls. Thought I was going to be able to control everything with the pad but it seems like it'll be a combination of pad and keyboard. I dunno what it is about this game but I just go in a trance. I was doing the navigation tutorial and after I undocked and left the station I was just standing there looking around at all the black space and stars in the distance. I seriously just stood there for like 2 or 3 minutes taking in the sight.

bj00rn_

Banned
I dunno what it is about this game but I just go in a trance. I was doing the navigation tutorial and after I undocked and left the station I was just standing there looking around at all the black space and stars in the distance. I seriously just stood there for like 2 or 3 minutes taking in the sight.

..And every object you see are not just part of a dumb backdrop either but actual objects (including the nebulas and the Milky Way galaxy arms) that you can go visit (minus other galaxies).

It's just exhausting I have to go through all this to run a game, and now it's 7am and I'm sleepy, frustrated and annoyed.

That sucks indeed. Hope you get a better experience from now on.

LogicStep

..And every object you see are not just part of a dumb backdrop either but actual objects (including the nebulas and the Milky Way galaxy arms) that you can go visit (minus other galaxies).

That's exactly the reason why I stood there in awe. I was just thinking to myself "holy shit, I can go anywhere!"

JambiBum

I've ranked up quite a bit in the Federation and gotten permits for some new systems. Ended up going to a station called The Black Mausoleum in Beta Hydri. The station was completely black on the outside and a different set up on the inside (but still similar) than most of the stations that I have seen. It was nice to see something semi unique.

LeBoef

Nope. I haven't actually seen any PVP yet.

interdicted plenty players and took them down. just found a nice spot in a great trading route, so i assumed a lot of players will come along.
thats exactly whats happening.

at times i had +10 players in supercruise with more jumping in and out continuesly and at least another 10 at a station, while landing.

I take it large volume trading is the only way of making serious bank?

I've been bounty hunting for a while in a fully kitted out Viper but the goddamned system authority vessels always opening fire on you for no reason is really irritating.

Go into your functions menu on the right and turn off "report attacks against me" or something similar. That stops ships from getting bounty for attacking you, so if a fed hits you by accident they don't get a bounty.

I don't know, feds going hostile for no reason hasn't happened since I turned that off. I guess they don't like it when you report crimes they commit, just like real police!

Did you find a solution?

The only way around thisat I found, was to download the game on my laptop, and transfer it to my PC via USB. for some reason it just kept crapping out on my PC. nd I had no AV/FW on, nothing.

naeS

Bought this yesterday, it is amazing. Was just jumping to random systems, but couldn't figure out how to exit supercruise. Realized it is not mapped on the controller. Definitely getting a HOTAS for this and Star Citizen.

Question: I can't find any shipping info on the EDTracker site, do they ship to the US?

Is there any way to give other Commanders credits? If I'm not just missing the option there really needs to be.

I was doing some bounty hunting with a friend that just got the game to show him the ropes (even though I'm fairly new too), but since I've upgraded my weapons I was getting the majority of the bounties. I told him "No worries, we'll split it up at a station", until we actually get back to the station and I'm like "Uhhhh". I ended up just buying some resources and dumping them for him to sell, but that was needlessly complex for what could've been a simple credit transfer.

JambiBum

Is there any way to give other Commanders credits? If I'm not just missing the option there really needs to be.

I was doing some bounty hunting with a friend that just got the game to show him the ropes (even though I'm fairly new too), but since I've upgraded my weapons I was getting the majority of the bounties. I told him "No worries, we'll split it up at a station", until we actually get back to the station and I'm like "Uhhhh". I ended up just buying some resources and dumping them for him to sell, but that was needlessly complex for what could've been a simple credit transfer.

There isn't an option yet, but if they ever introduce one it will likely come with the Wings/group feature I'd imagine.

There isn't an option yet, but if they ever introduce one it will likely come with the Wings/group feature I'd imagine.

First time hearing about this Wings update. Seems like it'll solve the bounty hunting issue. Have they not mentioned credit transfers as an addition? It seems like a huge oversight (if the omission wasn't intentional) in my book since it opens up so many possible player interactions.

JambiBum

First time hearing about this Wings update. Seems like it'll solve the bounty hunting issue. Have they not mentioned credit transfers as an addition? It seems like a huge oversight (if the omission wasn't intentional) in my book since it opens up so many possible player interactions.

They haven't mentioned details of the Wings stuff besides that they will be implementing grouping related stuff in early 2015. We just know the basics of that right now. I'm sure that they will give us more info as the update gets closer

Is there a way to transport ships without flying them yourself? Seems like once you get a bunch you'd wanna choose a station as a "base" so you could have all your stuff in one spot. Plus my Eagle seems like it's pretty much stuck in the general area I got it in since it can't jump very far.

Is it bad that all I've been thinking about all day is what I'm going to do when I move in terms of setting up a dedicated elite playspace?

New PC, new desk, screens, possible projector setup....

lots of ££££....

LeBoef

buy cargo for the amount you want to give him, meet, drop it.

They haven't mentioned details of the Wings stuff besides that they will be implementing grouping related stuff in early 2015. We just know the basics of that right now. I'm sure that they will give us more info as the update gets closer

Yeah I figure update news wouldn't come out so soon since the just game launched. I just didn't know if they said anything specific about credit transfers in general. I could see that being an issue with people reselling credits for real money like in WoW, but I hope that isn't what's holding them back since I have a feeling that's going to happen anyway.

buy cargo for the amount you want to give him, meet, drop it.

That's what I ended up doing. Like I said, it's just needlessly complex for something so simple.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Is there a way to transport ships without flying them yourself? Seems like once you get a bunch you'd wanna choose a station as a "base" so you could have all your stuff in one spot. Plus my Eagle seems like it's pretty much stuck in the general area I got it in since it can't jump very far.

No, currently there is no way to transport ships around other than flying them there. It's why I think I'm going to sell my Eagle in Eravate.

I currently have three ships: my starting Sidewinder, my Eagle, and my Adder. I plan on trading the Adder up for a Cobra, and then an Asp, and once I have the Asp kitted out for exploration I'm going galavanting across the galaxy. Eventually I'll settle on some populated system on the edge of civilized space, a jumping point where I can trade around between stations if I want but also head out into unpopulated and empty systems for some true exploring. So once I pick that "base of operation" system, I'm going to want all of my ships out there.

Which is why I plan on selling my Eagle now, because once I get into deep space I'm not going to have an easy way of going back to even use my Eagle parked in Eravate. The only real way I could go retrieve it and bring it back to wherever I settle would be to buy a cheap Sidewinder, fly it all the way back to Eravate, and then sell the temporary Sidewinder and fly my Eagle back. Which would be a Pain In The Ass. It will be easier to sell the Eagle now and buy a new one when I get out on the fringe.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Finally finished Ethan Carter so now I can put all my focus on Elite. Just gotta figure out a good setup for my Hotas X sticks...

Wreav

Banned
Gah, every time I start shooting a wanted ship at Balatu now, every NPC goes red on my ass. Not sure what's happening here...

Also, regarding the KWS, it seems like it can find a bounty for another system, but if they aren't wanted in the current system, you'll take a fine for attacking/killing them?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Gah, every time I start shooting a wanted ship at Balatu now, every NPC goes red on my ass. Not sure what's happening here...

Also, regarding the KWS, it seems like it can find a bounty for another system, but if they aren't wanted in the current system, you'll take a fine for attacking/killing them?

Yea, you don't get a free pass to murder someone if they've committed a crime somewhere else. The authorities in system X don't give a rat fuck about the laws of system Y.

Wreav

Banned
Yea, you don't get a free pass to murder someone if they've committed a crime somewhere else. The authorities in system X don't give a rat fuck about the laws of system Y.

So what's the point really then? Seems like you'll always incur a higher penalty for killing them than the bounty you'd get.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So what's the point really then? Seems like you'll always incur a higher penalty for killing them than the bounty you'd get.

Do it in an anarchy system and it's open season. You should also scan 'wanted' ships so you can get *all* their bounties, not just the local one.

Saganator

Ahhh! I'm such an idiot! I got my Thrustmaster HOTAS the other day, I decided to do some trading runs to get acclimated to my new set up. I downloaded someone's pre-configured HOTAS setup with shift functions and all that, so pretty much everything is controlled with my flight stick and throttle. About 30 minutes into playing with the new set up, I feel like I got it, my cargo hold is filled with about $80k worth of stuff, which happens to be about 85% of my credits. I pull up to my destination, get docking approval, and head into the station. I'm assigned dock 13 or something, one of the docks that is really close to the entrance and easy to miss. I fly past my dock on accident, I turn around and line up to the dock. Whoops.. forgot my landing gear, no big deal... Ah shit, I'm brain farting, what is the button for landing gear? Pretty sure it's this one..... OH SHIT THAT WAS BOOST, THERE IS A WALL, PULL UP COMMANDER! Poof... There goes pretty much all my credits with one stupid button press. After paying my insurance, I had a measly 4k.

Proud of myself for not rage quitting. Got back up to $60k or so within a couple hours. I've been practicing hauling ass into stations to avoid being scanned (not hauling anything illegal, just seeing if I can pull it off), and I'm pretty confident in pulling this off more often than not. I want to try my hand at slave trading. I've gone to a few Anarchy systems and none of them are selling slaves. Can anyone tell me where I can find some slaves to buy around Ho Hsi? Is there any equipment I need to buy? Like a different cargo hold anything?

Starviper

Had a bad night last night.

Was doing all sorts of varied missions for Jet Comms Limited, kept having an issue with my reputation where it would go back down to neutral after i'd earn Friendly status. Still haven't really figured out why that was happening.

But I racked up like 160k in bounty shooting down Ho hsi and System Authority ships at resource extraction sites later on. Had made around 120-130k. Flew out to another site and upon warp in I had 3 system auth. ships on me. Thought I could take them but nope, got destroyed.

They charged me with the full bounty and I had to pay for a new ship. All my earnings yesterday went down the drain. I believe if I hadn't been killed by the authority ships I wouldn't have had that bounty charge, but idk. Really sucks though, had to take out a pretty decent loan and now i'm in the hole :(

Wreav

Banned
I think I'm gonna head back to Sol. I've not seen a better setup for smugglers, given how close the black market is to the nav beacon, plus there are some fed navy mission trees I want to try out.

Klyka

Banned

Was doing all sorts of varied missions for Jet Comms Limited, kept having an issue with my reputation where it would go back down to neutral after i'd earn Friendly status. Still haven't really figured out why that was happening.

But I racked up like 160k in bounty shooting down Ho hsi and System Authority ships at resource extraction sites later on. Had made around 120-130k. Flew out to another site and upon warp in I had 3 system auth. ships on me. Thought I could take them but nope, got destroyed.

They charged me with the full bounty and I had to pay for a new ship. All my earnings yesterday went down the drain. I believe if I hadn't been killed by the authority ships I wouldn't have had that bounty charge, but idk. Really sucks though, had to take out a pretty decent loan and now i'm in the hole :(

Wait,what? The game charged you with your bounty????
Wow,ok,yeah that might only happen if cops kill you. Crazy.

Also,new server update:

Server Update - 23rd Dec 2014

Hi,

a server update has just been completed with a single change. It includes two balance tweaks, the first is to prevent large economies consuming more of the good that it also produces. This improves the supply of those goods for the player. The second change reduces the impact of demand from the AI trading so that players are more likely to encounter high demand.

Thanks

Michael

Agreed, this is amazing. Sometimes you can see the strings of the game when transitioning between cruise/supercruise/hyperspace, but the fact that the background is not some painted backdrop is fucking mindblowing and kind of unbelievable.

I'm not sure if there is a better or more up-to-date resource on the current status of Wings, but from the pilot's manual:

Whilst I'm not going to deny that it would be great to get player wings for release, the development process we've been through means that it's not going to happen. But it is one of our top priorities for post-release; the interface, the mechanics and supporting gameplay. It's probably a massive understatement to say we're committed to carrying on development. Wings is the ability to mechanically group up with a small number of other players to share rewards and risk. So we are looking at:

* enhanced matchmaking for wingmen
* enhanced/clear feedback for who and where wingmen are
* shared information within the wing
* shared bounties and mission rewards
* on-going mission support for wing gameplay

To be absolutely clear, this is not anything to do with NPC wingmen (though they do sound similar).And as an added caveat! This is what we are looking at, the final result *may* have more or less bits! To be absolutely, lutely-abso clear. Wings should be extremely fast to set up (we want it to basically be an invitation/accept affair), though there will almost certainly have to be a cool down timer after leaving a wing to prevent "wing hopping" exploits, and joining a wing will have some risk (in that some or all crimes between wingmen will be deactivated).Yes, wings are ad-hoc, though the idea is that it should be extremely easy to quickly start a wing with game "friends" wherever they are in the galaxy.The concept we are looking at is that a wing is treated as a single entity with regards to bounties and non wing ships, and as an equal share group (assuming that all players at least damage the bounty target) for ships in the wing.So for example, a wing of three ships and a number of police ships are attacking a wanted criminal. If a police ship gets the kill-shot, no bounty is awarded. If any ship in the wing gets the kill shot, all members of the wing who damage the criminal get a bounty claim for an equal share of the bounty.I don't really see this as inconsistent – it's just one of the benets of being in a wing (of course, there is an internal trade off in the wing – you accept lower bounty rewards because you share the bounty, but you increase the chance that you will get at least something, as there is an increased chance that the kill shot will be by someone in your wing).

Wings won't be without risk however. As an example, we're looking to do something like, "when you get a bounty issued against you for attacking or destroying a ship, it is multiplied by the difference between the number of ships in your wing and the number of ships in the target 's wing (if any).So this means that if a four ship wing (likely to initially be the maximum wing size) goes around attacking lone ships, the bounties on them would be four times as big. This should make them more appetizing to would be bounty hunters, and pose a bigger credit penalty for paying them off.With regards to voice coms: we already have a group chat capability, which we want to try and finesse for wings, so that a wing has a chat channel that operates over any distance and has an easy to use opt in/out interface.
To clarify: we denitely are doing wings. We're going to make it as good as we possibly can.

HELPING INTERDICTED WINGMEN
If we can make using a wingman's wake as easy as possible (so that's identication, selection and drop out requirements) then I think that might be a nice easy win because: A) it would more or less use rules we already have, and B) there would be a nice modicum of skill and awareness required to minimise time apart.It *might* also create an interesting skill challenge when wings started interdicting each other. Remember, the actual interdiction would be one on one (which seems pretty fair to me), with reinforcements dropping in based on player awareness and skill.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, I'd love to take part in a convoy/escort-type mission with other players or just NPC wingmen.

What's the word on NPC wingmen, anyway? They're a part of the flight tutorials but I haven't found any other mention of them.

TBH, I usually only take the time to scan Wanted ships. Maybe once I get a better/faster k-scanner I'll start scanning more Clean ships, but it just takes too long sometimes for all of them.

Honestly, I think there must be a bug or something. My rep with Jet Comms was lowering after I had completed a few missions. Once I even completed a mission for them and it DECREASED their influence/economic boom and increased economic bust.

Ahhh! I'm such an idiot! I got my Thrustmaster HOTAS the other day, I decided to do some trading runs to get acclimated to my new set up. I downloaded someone's pre-configured HOTAS setup with shift functions and all that, so pretty much everything is controlled with my flight stick and throttle. About 30 minutes into playing with the new set up, I feel like I got it, my cargo hold is filled with about $80k worth of stuff, which happens to be about 85% of my credits. I pull up to my destination, get docking approval, and head into the station. I'm assigned dock 13 or something, one of the docks that is really close to the entrance and easy to miss. I fly past my dock on accident, I turn around and line up to the dock. Whoops.. forgot my landing gear, no big deal... Ah shit, I'm brain farting, what is the button for landing gear? Pretty sure it's this one..... OH SHIT THAT WAS BOOST, THERE IS A WALL, PULL UP COMMANDER! Poof... There goes pretty much all my credits with one stupid button press. After paying my insurance, I had a measly 4k.

This has happened to me a few times--luckily, it's when I was at the mouth of the station, so I just BARELY missed the antenna at the end.

I've gotten pretty good and rushing into stations without getting scanned. Feels baller.

I'm not sure if there is a better or more up-to-date resource on the current status of Wings, but from the pilot's manual:

Hope that helps.

That was really helpful. More information on the update than I had read previously. It seems like it'll make playing with friends much more enjoyable than it currently is.

Klyka

Banned
Gentlemen, my thoughts on Ho Hsi after reading a lot of dev posts hinting at stuff:

We are still currently in the "Civil War Critical" stage, as we have been for a while.
What we need to do now,is not just increase the Jet Comms influence (which already seems high enough honestly, seeing the civil war state) but also the "civil unrest".

We need to get the system to ACTUALLY rebel.

Now if you do missions a lot of the times you will see that you are actually putting Civil Unrest DOWN. This is when you bring items to the system for a mission for example.

So basically what we need to do is make the people suffer by declining them commodities.

• We need to do missions that are military/agressive in nature
  • We need to do missions that EXPORT items,not import.
  • We need to do missions that bring weapons/military help tp Jet Comms
  • We need to destroy traders and police vessels owned by Ho Hsi Corp and other factions
  • We need to interdict and destroy NPCs in supercruise,not just in instances already
  • We need to claim bounties elsewhere and not in the system cause seeing bounties claimed makes people in the system feel more "safe"

Safe flight, Commanders

Some stuff from Reddit:

I should pay more attention to the stations!

Also, glad there is some variation in designs for the "same" stations:

That was really helpful. More information on the update than I had read previously. It seems like it'll make playing with friends much more enjoyable than it currently is.

Yeah, that update will be huge. Hoping it comes earlier next year rather than later.

Gentlemen, my thoughts on Ho Hsi after reading a lot of dev posts hinting at stuff:

We are still currently in the "Civil War Critical" stage, as we have been for a while.
What we need to do now,is not just increase the Jet Comms influence (which already seems high enough honestly, seeing the civil war state) but also the "civil unrest".

We need to get the system to ACTUALLY rebel.

Now if you do missions a lot of the times you will see that you are actually putting Civil Unrest DOWN. This is when you bring items to the system for a mission for example.

So basically what we need to do is make the people suffer by declining them commodities.

• We need to do missions that are military/agressive in nature
  • We need to do missions that EXPORT items,not import.
  • We need to do missions that bring weapons/military help tp Jet Comms
  • We need to destroy traders and police vessels owned by Ho Hsi Corp and other factions
  • We need to interdict and destroy NPCs in supercruise,not just in instances already
  • We need to claim bounties elsewhere and not in the system cause seeing bounties claimed makes people in the system feel more "safe"

Safe flight, Commanders

Interesting idea. An export mission I did for Jet Comms last night, increased unrest for Jet Comms. That would make sense, if you're correct.

Any advice on Viper loadout? I was using 2 pulse lasers and a gimballed multicannon in the Eagle, but I'm thinking that missiles might be worth a shout, though I'm undecided really/

Any advice on Viper loadout? I was using 2 pulse lasers and a gimballed multicannon in the Eagle, but I'm thinking that missiles might be worth a shout, though I'm undecided really/

Dumbfire missiles seem ridiculously powerful (Kornelius did a video on them), but you do have to be precise and close to your target or risk missing a shot, and ammo is expensive. I'd personally only get them if you have great aim, are only going after bigger (slower) ships, and/or have money to spare for ammo.

I've been using two bursts and two gimballed multicannons, but it's not enough damage to stop any larger ships that want to get away instead of fight to the death.

With the viper be sure to put the gimballed guns on the top hardpoints (class 1s), if you put them on the bottom they can't hit anything above the ship's xy plane so they're useless unless the ship is below your gun sights.

la_briola

2 medium multi cannons and 2 small beam lasers are a nasty combo, beak their shield with the lasers and then let the cannons do the rest -- gimbald everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom