• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aegus

Note to self: Don't play chicken with Anaconda when you're a Viper. The bigger snake wins.

Lost 160k worth of bounty.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Note to self: Don't play chicken with Anaconda when you're a Viper. The bigger snake wins.

Lost 160k worth of bounty.

Exact same thing happened to me last night. I was wrecking this Anaconda, it had like 12% hull integrity left, I was at 100% full shields. I was coming at it straight on starting to strafe it to get in some final shots and it just barreled right into me after a boost and I was wrecked. Lost some 20k in bounties and another 26k in cargo for two blackbox missions.

Been trying to get used to FA off, but I really need to calibrate and tweak my flight stick settings. It was already very sensitive and zero deadzone. But I have found that coming in on an attack approach it's useful to cut FA right when you're about to pass turn your ship towards them and re-enable FA to stabilize while keeping that initial momentum. It's not at all perfect, but it works.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
2 medium multi cannons and 2 small beam lasers are a nasty combo, beak their shield with the lasers and then let the cannons do the rest -- gimbald everything.

You should use fixed lasers, that way you don't get utterly hosed by chaff.

Sephon

Any advice on Viper loadout? I was using 2 pulse lasers and a gimballed multicannon in the Eagle, but I'm thinking that missiles might be worth a shout, though I'm undecided really/

Personally I'm using 1 fixed Beam Laser and 3 gimballed Multi-Cannons. I love it since shields usually go down pretty fast and to continue by lighting up 3 multi-cannons is simply invigorating!

Klyka

Banned
You should use fixed lasers, that way you don't get utterly hosed by chaff.

fixed also do more damage.

also if your gimballs get chaffed, drop target lock and gimball weapons turn to fixed. works perfect for lasers cause you don't need to lead.

RK9039

Does an Eagle have any chance against an Anaconda with upgrades?

Nancy Bell almost killed me, I couldn't even take her shields down.

Sinatar

Does an Eagle have any chance against an Anaconda with upgrades?

Nancy Bell almost killed me, I couldn't even take her shields down.

Depends on the pilot. Anaconda's have a relative blind spot on their bellies near the rear, if you can use your thrusters to stay there, they can't land much firepower on you.

Still takes for freaking ever, they have hull for days.

God, I want an Anaconda so bad. They kinda remind me of little Star Destroyers.

A chance? Yes.
A good chance? No.

Yeah, anyone who takes down an Anaconda, with just a Viper, has my respect. I've only ever taken them down when security vessels are also attacking, and have almost been killed by one.

However, I'm starting to get better at learning ship blind spots, so I think that's a big part of it, too.

Depends on the pilot. Anaconda's have a relative blind spot on their bellies near the rear, if you can use your thrusters to stay there, they can't land much firepower on you.

Still takes for freaking ever, they have hull for days.

And at some point they'll roll and do something funny and you'll make a mistake and end up in their sights at which point oops well goodbye.

Edit: Or they might just power up the FSD and sod off, in which case it's time wasted. That's my biggest problem with hunting larger wanted ships in a kitted out Viper, I just don't have the power to keep up high enough dps levels to drop them before they get back to supercruise.

trillbo

Klyka

Banned
God, I want an Anaconda so bad. They kinda remind me of little Star Destroyers.

Yeah, anyone who takes down an Anaconda, with just a Viper, has my respect. I've only ever taken them down when security vessels are also attacking, and have almost been killed by one.

However, I'm starting to get better at learning ship blind spots, so I think that's a big part of it, too.

Helloween and I do it with our Vipers, we are quite upgraded though and Chaff + Shield Cells help a lot. Also always target their powerplant, they will usually explode around 30% hull left.

And at some point they'll roll and do something funny and you'll make a mistake and end up in their sights at which point oops well goodbye.

Edit: Or they might just power up the FSD and sod off, in which case it's time wasted. That's my biggest problem with hunting larger wanted ships in a kitted out Viper, I just don't have the power to keep up high enough dps levels to drop them before they get back to supercruise.

Target their FSD drive and take it out. The more it gets damaged,the longer it charges until they can't jump at all anymore.

Helloween and I do it with our Vipers, we are quite upgraded though and Chaff + Shield Cells help a lot. Also always target their powerplant, they will usually explode around 30% hull left.

Ooooh, so THAT'S what causes ships to seemingly spontaneously combust.

Y'all are much better pilots than me. I still fall back on "reverse thrust + downward thrust" too much to align targets. Gonna run into a meteor one of these days.

Got my X52 Pro last night and I'm loving it. One problem, I didn't put a lot of thought into where I'd place it. Turns out my desk is too cramped to place both the stick and throttle on it, plus too tall to make for comfortable gaming sessions. Any recommendations for a store-bought solution or maybe an easy DIY?

HowZatOZ

Banned
Ahhh! I'm such an idiot! I got my Thrustmaster HOTAS the other day, I decided to do some trading runs to get acclimated to my new set up. I downloaded someone's pre-configured HOTAS setup with shift functions and all that, so pretty much everything is controlled with my flight stick and throttle.
Would you happen to be able to share your Hotas setup? Is it for the X sticks?

Have they mentioned any options for customizing the interior of cockpits? I know they stated that each ship's diagetic UI layout would be consistent/the same, but what about personal touches? Interior colors, lighting, even photos or bobbleheads or whatever?

Sinatar

Have they mentioned any options for customizing the interior of cockpits? I know they stated that each ship's diagetic UI layout would be consistent/the same, but what about personal touches? Interior colors, lighting, even photos or bobbleheads or whatever?

They used to have bobble heads in the alpha, not sure why they got rid of them.

I've seen videos of people that have bobbleheads in their ship. I'm not sure if that's a mod or some sort of bonus for backers, but I would love to see more customization options.

Target their FSD drive and take it out. The more it gets damaged,the longer it charges until they can't jump at all anymore.

When you have something targeted does it naturally take more damage, as in replacing hull damage with FSD damage? Or do you have to actually target it and hit it. I really haven't played around with sub-targeting.

Sinatar

When you have something targeted does it naturally take more damage, as in replacing hull damage with FSD damage? Or do you have to actually target it and hit it. I really haven't played around with sub-targeting.

You have to actually hit it, you weapons will naturally try to aim at it (even fixed weapons have a tiny bit of autoaim) but you will need to try and point at the spot (which gets a red box around it) manually.

You have to actually hit it, you weapons will naturally try to aim at it (even fixed weapons have a tiny bit of autoaim) but you will need to try and point at the spot (which gets a red box around it) manually.

So for larger ships I take it it's something worth doing? Knock out the FSD and then shoot for the powerplant?

Well, i have finally arrived in Ho Hsi.

Be sure to check in with CMDR Klyka on the latest strategy--he posted just a bit up the page.

Ah, bummer. I'd love to be able to take photos in-game and post them in the interior of the ship or maybe have little bobblehead models of ships. It would be great if you could get trophies for certain bounties/kills.

Sinatar

So for larger ships I take it it's something worth doing? Knock out the FSD and then shoot for the powerplant?

Yea it speeds up the kill a bit. FSD's and Powerplants will take out a ship when destroyed so they are the best bets.

Alternatively you can aim at someone's cargo hatch to make them spill their goods into space without having to use limpets.

Klyka

Banned
I've seen videos of people that have bobbleheads in their ship. I'm not sure if that's a mod or some sort of bonus for backers, but I would love to see more customization options.

Those are old videos from Alpha/Beta.

I used to fly with the Christmas Tree bobblehead.

SLV

Who is the resident Ho Hsi trade master ? I have enough in assets to grab a lakon 6 deck it out and start some trading, but would like a tip on feasible treade routes atm. Have not done trading since premium beta, as whenever i tried it after i was losing profit or made miniscule one, although i was doing the demand thing.

Klyka

Banned

Everytime you hit a ships hull you also do /depending on your weapons armor penetration) damage to a sub system that is located in the spot you ar ehitting. Targeting a sub system just shows you a little square on the ship where to shoot at and it makes your gimballed weapons lock on to the sub system specifically. It does not increase damage, it just focuses your aim.

wsippel

Banned
They tended to bug out and the performance impact was too much, so Frontier got rid of them. I believe they plan to bring them back at some point. They also talked about introducing other cosmetic items such as plush dice and stuff as far as I know. Considering they have a server infrastructure to maintain, a broader selection of paid vanity items would certainly help.

They tended to bug out and the performance impact was too much, so Frontier got rid of them. I believe they plan to bring them back at some point. They also talked about introducing other cosmetic items such as plush dice and stuff at some point as far as I know. Considering they have a server infrastructure to maintain, a broader selection of paid vanity items would certainly help.

I... I would pay money for plush diii--NO WHAT HAVE I BECOME I WILL NOT GET PLUSH DICE OR A CHRISTMAS TREE AIR FRESHENER OR ONE OF THOSE HULA GIRLS FOR MY FAKE SPACESHIP *sobs in corner at lost dignity*

Wreav

Banned
I'm having the very worst luck since getting my Cobra. Pop into the Sol nav beacon, shred a wanted guy, I immediately become wanted, feds start firing at me, I can't pay off my wanted fine anywhere in Sol that I can tell. Ugh.

Also had one of the closest calls smuggling yet, watch my very nearly beautiful entrance with FA off. Still avoided the fine, but accrued 12k in damages to my ship.

http://youtu.be/FUTVsvdWgxc

Klyka

Banned
I'm having the very worst luck since getting my Cobra. Pop into the Sol nav beacon, shred a wanted guy, I immediately become wanted, feds start firing at me, I can't pay off my wanted fine anywhere in Sol that I can tell. Ugh.

Also had one of the closest calls smuggling yet, watch my very nearly beautiful entrance with FA off. Still avoided the fine, but accrued 12k in damages to my ship.

http://youtu.be/FUTVsvdWgxc

Always always ALWAYS full pips into SYS to make your shields absorb impact damage. With that done you might have barely taken any damage there at all.

I need a new mic for VA that has a little range on it, like 4' or something. The one I have can't mount anywhere, what's a good mic these days?

EDIT: Needs to be USB

Double EDIT: Under $40

Some interesting USS's in Saturn's upper atmosphere. Lots of pirates and smugglers, often already in a fight with system sec and shieldless.

They always ditch their cargo, which is a nice little additional earner for this bounty hunter, though it does involve some nervy avoidance of the Feds while you try to steam into the dock around mercury at full speed to avoid detection of your illicit goods.

Saturn makes an amazing dogfight arena, what a view, even if I do occasionally fly into the rings. Though that just increases the glory of the vista, and there are often pirates weaving around the asteroids which really makes things interesting.
Next stop, Jupiter.

Yeah, i had that happen today. Got a nice haul of cargo and a 27K credit bounty for watching these guys duke it out and then firing a few shots at the wanted guy at the end. Got scanned by the feds after i picked up his cargo and had to run like fuck lol

http://youtu.be/KM2wrO08Rjs

Klyka

Banned
Lol, the plan wasn't to ram, it was to go very very fast. Lesson learned, this thing is a boat and not nearly as nimble as the Adder I'm used to.

You still always want to have full pips in SYS when you might bump into something. It's the difference between life and death.

You still always want to have full pips in SYS when you might bump into something. It's the difference between life and death.

Didn't know that, just thought Sys mostly impacted shield regen shouted and not necessarily a buffer to how well your shields are maintained.

Klyka

Banned
Didn't know that, just thought Sys mostly impacted shield regen shouted and not necessarily a buffer to how well your shields are maintained.

It's why when you exchange fire with another ship,you want to go full shields, it actually strengthens them and they don't go down as easily. Try it with a friend, shield with full pips vs. 0 pips is a HUGE difference.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Who is the resident Ho Hsi trade master ? I have enough in assets to grab a lakon 6 deck it out and start some trading, but would like a tip on feasible treade routes atm. Have not done trading since premium beta, as whenever i tried it after i was losing profit or made miniscule one, although i was doing the demand thing.

The strategy's changed - we need to focus on actions which create unrest in the system. We want to break the peace. Doing heavy duty trading with Steiner and Alexeyev is probably still giving Ho Hsi Corp influence because the system as a whole is doing well. Either focus on Jet Comms missions which create unrest or start attacking Ho Hsi Corp ships in the system.

http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDanger...he_ho_hsi_situation_or_how_i_learned_to_stop/

For trading in general, I brute forced it by making spreadsheets with all the prices instead of the demand levels. The previous advice probably doesn't work any more - things will need to be re-checked now that they've fixed AI trading and they'll allow supply/demand levels to hit High again. I'd say give it a day to fix itself before doing much data gathering for trade.

Gentlemen, my thoughts on Ho Hsi after reading a lot of dev posts hinting at stuff:

We are still currently in the "Civil War Critical" stage, as we have been for a while.
What we need to do now,is not just increase the Jet Comms influence (which already seems high enough honestly, seeing the civil war state) but also the "civil unrest".

We need to get the system to ACTUALLY rebel.

Now if you do missions a lot of the times you will see that you are actually putting Civil Unrest DOWN. This is when you bring items to the system for a mission for example.

So basically what we need to do is make the people suffer by declining them commodities.

• We need to do missions that are military/agressive in nature
  • We need to do missions that EXPORT items,not import.
  • We need to do missions that bring weapons/military help tp Jet Comms
  • We need to destroy traders and police vessels owned by Ho Hsi Corp and other factions
  • We need to interdict and destroy NPCs in supercruise,not just in instances already
  • We need to claim bounties elsewhere and not in the system cause seeing bounties claimed makes people in the system feel more "safe"

Safe flight, Commanders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom