• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

JINYX

Neo Member
I believe they plan to bring them back at some point. They also talked about introducing other cosmetic items such as plush dice and stuff as far as I know.

This needs to happen. I want my ship to feel unique in the universe, but I don't want to pay for it. I saw someone mention something about maybe getting something for specific kills or whatnot, that would be awesome. Or to have your ship have some scars from huge battles or something. I just need something, not alot, but something.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This needs to happen. I want my ship to feel unique in the universe, but I don't want to pay for it. I saw someone mention something about maybe getting something for specific kills or whatnot, that would be awesome. Or to have your ship have some scars from huge battles or something. I just need something, not alot, but something.

They'll need to charge for it, servers aren't cheap.

Yeah, it would be cool to receive a unique item or two for when you participate in big event, take down difficult Wanted ships, etc.

Boogdud

System authority vessels don't attack you for no reason. If you attack someone is who is a member of the controlling faction of a system the controlling authority will attack you, even if they are wanted.

Well, I guess technically you're right, but the reason they're attacking me (and quite a few others it seems) is that they are obviously bugged. I've run multiple experiments going so far as having one case where I am merely loitering around a nav beacon not having attacked any new bounties since turning my last batch in and all of a sudden, security ships dropping hardpoints and shooting at me after being my pals for a good 15-20 minutes. These are fed ships as well, while I'm aligned with them and have only done fed missions. Something is very broken.

I have crimes turned off, I haven't attacked anyone aside from wanted crims, I have never been in a wanted status (even while they are attacking me!). What's great is, I can hit the FSD, zero throttle turn right back around to the nav point drop out and the exact same security ships are now friendly to me and couldn't care less about me.

It's bugged.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Bounty poachers ;~;

Makes a guy want to go full pirate.

Steam streaming works pretty well with this, teknopathetic watched my last few dogfights (aka kills getting stolen from me) with no trouble.

Saganator

Would you happen to be able to share your Hotas setup? Is it for the X sticks?

Sure, I pulled it from a thread on an ED forum. Takes some getting use to, but once you do it works pretty well. Only thing I changed was removing the Jettison All Cargo bind. Installation instructions are in the post (copy file to appropriate folder). I suggest running through the tutorial missions with it when you first get it going.

Thurstmaster T.Flight HOTAS binds w/ Printable Diagram.

Also has 360 gamepad binds and KB/Mouse binds w/ diagram.

Sylas

Has anyone else had payment issues with Frontier? I paid them by Paypal recently and while my storefront order says it's complete I'm still unable to log into the launcher.

Do... they have to manually flag accounts or something once a payment has cleared? I just wanna fly around space.

Starviper

Sure, I pulled it from a thread on an ED forum. Takes some getting use to, but once you do it works pretty well. Only thing I changed was removing the Jettison All Cargo bind. Installation instructions are in the post (copy file to appropriate folder). I suggest running through the tutorial missions with it when you first get it going.

Thurstmaster T.Flight HOTAS binds w/ Printable Diagram.

Also has 360 gamepad binds and KB/Mouse binds w/ diagram.

Just got my Thrustmaster T-Filght X today. Thanks for the link!

Skyzard

Banned
Given that they're dated today...no. The bug may still be there, not sure.

I didn't install any new drivers for a few days and it says I've got that same driver version though.

Maybe they were in beta before? And now, supposedly, they've past quality tests and have been released to public or something, and it just updated the name tag on my end.

n0razi

im waiting for this game to officially support direct mode for the DK2 before i jump in... will I be waiting a long time?

Sinatar

im waiting for this game to officially support direct mode for the DK2 before i jump in... will I be waiting a long time?

Of all the things they have to work on, I think additional support for test hardware that hasn't been officially released to market is probably pretty low on the list.

Skyzard

Banned
I really hope they don't charge anything for Wings. That would probably kill a lot of interest in this from new players if they can't even play with friends properly without paying extra on top.

I wish they'd specify that, don't think they have from what I've tried to read about it.

People assume...

Klyka

Banned
I really hope they don't charge anything for Wings. That would probably kill a lot of interest in this from new players if they can't even play with friends properly without paying extra on top.

I wish they'd specify that, don't think they have from what I've tried to read about it.

People assume...

Uh, of course they don't.

They have two types of content updates: All of the normal free ones and the actual big game changing expansions like planetary landings/walking around your ship/the stations.

Stuff like wings is a normal game update and will never cost money. It's literally just a patch.
It's like we'll get 15 more ships as normal patches since the number of ships in the game is supposed to be 30,not 15 as we currently have.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I refuse to fly without a fuel scoop, it pays for itself very very quickly.

Eh, if you are a trader, then the loss of a cargo rack for the scoop doesn't really make it worth it IMHO. I seem to earn more for those four slots of cargo than my fuel would cost me anyway, this is in an Adder. Maybe it swings the other way in the larger ships? For a combat ship then sure I could see it, I mean you don't need the cargo racks anyway in a Viper, unless you are pirating stuff.

Wreav

Banned

They have two types of content updates: All of the normal free ones and the actual big game changing expansions like planetary landings/walking around your ship/the stations.

Stuff like wings is a normal game update and will never cost money. It's literally just a patch.
It's like we'll get 15 more ships as normal patches since the number of ships in the game is supposed to be 30,not 15 as we currently have.

I think the final ship count was edited down to 25...can't remember where I read that though.

Klyka

Banned
I think the final ship count was edited down to 25...can't remember where I read that though.

No the final ship count was supposed to be 25 but because they couldn't deliver them all for release they upped it to 30 as a "sorry" and us beta backers will get one of those 5 new ships for free in the game when they release.

Any tips for quickly locating pirates in an area, I have been crawling this system for a while now and haven't found any to kill for this mission.

Sinatar

Eh, if you are a trader, then the loss of a cargo rack for the scoop doesn't really make it worth it IMHO. I seem to earn more for those four slots of cargo than my fuel would cost me anyway, this is in an Adder. Maybe it swings the other way in the larger ships? For a combat ship then sure I could see it, I mean you don't need the cargo racks anyway in a Viper, unless you are pirating stuff.

Fuel costs increase exponentially as you go up the ship ladder. In a cobra it's about 1000 credits for a simple 9 ly jump, go beyond that and it gets even more expensive.

Gas seems cheap when you're in the noob squad of ships (Sidewinder, Eagle, Hauler, Adder), give it time.

JINYX

Neo Member
Fuel scoop only becomes necessary once you get to the cobra/viper level of ships. Before that it's sorta a waste, after that it's necessary imo as fuel costs will start killing your profit. Make sure you get a good one though, at least a C class otherwise it's also sorta a waste.

Any tips for quickly locating pirates in an area, I have been crawling this system for a while now and haven't found any to kill for this mission.

Go to the area where they want them cleared out, throttle down to 30km/s, pop open navigation, read gaf/reddit and wait till a U.S.S. pops up, lock on, instantly drop out of hyperspace and see if it's pirates or not, if not go back to supercruise, repeat process.

Skyzard

Banned
I've been cruising space for systems with extraction sites as they tend to have loads of pirates.

It took AGES! :p

Worth it! Anaconda after Anaconda after Anaconda sometimes. And it's doable as system security helps out. Racked up some major bounty rewards today.

Sometimes it's sidewinders though, sometimes cobras (like one after the other/majority of wanted people).

It's quite a big addition though, I can imagine some developers would think about charging for it.

I haven't seen any clarification though, did you also just assume it's going to be free? :p

Sinatar

Go to the area where they want them cleared out, throttle down to 30km/s, pop open navigation, read gaf/reddit and wait till a U.S.S. pops up, lock on, instantly drop out of hyperspace and see if it's pirates or not, if not go back to supercruise, repeat process.

This is a terribly slow way of doing things.

Go to extraction sites or nav beacons and start scanning ships, you'll find pirates in no time and they'll keep coming. Extraction sites take about 5 minutes before the mass of pirates and security vessels turn them into the battle of endor. Poor miners are just trying to shoot some rocks and it's absolutely chaos all around them, lol.

I actually have the 8T cargo rack in my Viper until my Federation cred gets higher. There simply aren't enough missions for a no-rank bounty hunter to do, so I've resorted to hauling stuff in my combat ship until they trust me :-|

Also, want to reiterate this trick that someone noted a few pages ago: if you enter a station and are disappointed by the lack of or low number of bulletin board missions, switch to a different game mode (from Open Play to Solo, for example) to "refresh" available missions. You can then switch BACK to the other game mode and get another "refresh". You should have plenty of missions to work on.

Resource excavation site FTW. You'll get a pirate every few mins--it's easy to tell them apart, as they're usually Wanted and almost always try to scan your cargo (check the chat messages for "Let's see what you're carrying" or "It's only a scan, it won't hurt" as an easy way to identify them).

EDIT: Beaten. Yeah, extraction sites become fucking awesome battle zones if you hang around long enough.

Klyka

Banned
I've been cruising space for systems with extraction sites as they tend to have loads of pirates.

It took AGES! :p

Worth it! Anaconda after Anaconda after Anaconda sometimes. And it's doable as system security helps out. Racked up some major bounty rewards today.

Sometimes it's sidewinders though, sometimes cobras (like one after the other/majority of wanted people).

It's quite a big addition though, I can imagine some developers would think about charging for it.

I haven't seen any clarification though, did you also just assume it's going to be free? :p

It's not a big addition, like what? it's the standard grouping functions which they wanted in the game before release even but didn't manage it.

Jesus I can't believe I am reading this, if any game charged money for grouping functions in an online game they would be SHAT ON so hard.

JINYX

Neo Member

Go to extraction sites or nav beacons and start scanning ships, you'll find pirates in no time and they'll keep coming. Extraction sites take about 5 minutes before the mass of pirates and security vessels turn them into the battle of endor. Poor miners are just trying to shoot some rocks and it's absolutely chaos all around them, lol.

Depends, I also get tons of free loot while doing this so totally worth it. I also don't have to deal with FedSec deciding that my 100cr bounty for accidentally shooting them while they noobed into the path of my bullets is a better time investment for them then the 50Kcr Anaconda.

You know, I'm at work wondering if maybe I should roll my AMD drivers back. I installed the Catalyst Omega before I had installed Elite, so I might try rolling it back and seeing if I have better performance. I have a 6950, so I should do alright running it on the Rift yeah?

I'm wondering if that's affecting me in those systems with the performance...

Skyzard

Banned
It's not a big addition, like what? it's the standard grouping functions which they wanted in the game before release even but didn't manage it.

Jesus I can't believe I am reading this, if any game charged money for grouping functions in an online game they would be SHAT ON so hard.

With how much money is being raised for these space games, I can't say I'd be shocked.

And they haven't actually specified yet from everything I could find on it.
It would reassure players and potential buyers if they came out and said it's a planned free update, especially with how much content is coming as an expansion.

It only hurts not to, unless it's something to do with legal issues. Are they that at risk of going under?
-Perhaps they don't want to bring attention to the fact that it's not there now.

--it's a big addition because they'll need to offer AI wings to people to deal with group attacks.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Fuel costs increase exponentially as you go up the ship ladder. In a cobra it's about 1000 credits for a simple 9 ly jump, go beyond that and it gets even more expensive.

Gas seems cheap when you're in the noob squad of ships (Sidewinder, Eagle, Hauler, Adder), give it time.

Wow, really? I should have my Cobra sometime tonight, sounds like I'll have to give up one of the Class 1 4T cargo racks to put a scoop in, that drives the Cobra down to 36T cargo space if I keep the shield and scanner. That makes for a LOT of trading runs to get me my 7 million for an Asp.

I think I see a Lakon Type 6 in my near future....or maybe I'll just shelf the dream of an Asp and head out exploring with the Cobra instead!

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn

If it's pirate hunting for a mission, I don't think this works. Or at least not always. I shot down 6 "wanted" ships outside a nav beacon but only 1 counted towards the mission. Not sure why.

Skyzard

Banned
If it's pirate hunting for a mission, I don't think this works. Or at least not always. I shot down 6 "wanted" ships outside a nav beacon but only 1 counted towards the mission. Not sure why.

Not all wanted ships are pirates. Not sure if USS would be better for missions.

Klyka said:
Hey everyone! This is not really an in depth guide but I have been flying around in the Elite Galaxy for a while now and have learned a lot about the game,including how to properly spot the different "classes" of NPCs flying around that you may need for a kill mission!

So here are my findings that will hopefully help some people:

Pirates: These guys usually have single names like "Slade", "Xander" or "Molerat". They usually fly in more cheap, combat oriented ships like Sidewinders or Eagles. They can also be found in Cobra MK3s or even Anacondas, but that's more rare. When checking their sub-targets you will see them equipped with a cargo scanner which they will use on you as they get close, usually followed by some comms saying stuff like "What goodies you got?" or "Let's see your cargo,fool!". If you check their faction, a lot of the times they will be associated with the more "sinister" faction in the system, often with names like "... Mafia" or "... Cartel" and "...Rats". They are also almost always Wanted, unless you are in an Anarchy system. You find them mainly in Unidentified Signal Sources or Resource Extraction sites. Rarely in Supercruise or Nav Beacons.

Traders: These guys usually have normal names like "Pete Malloy" or "Jonas Warzenegger". They fly in transport ships, so look for Hauler and Type 6/7/9 ships. Their subsystems are usually the maximum amount of cargo space or a majority of it. They usually belong to a normal faction or a more corporate faction with "... Corp" or "...Limited" in the name. At Nav Beacons you will often see them flying in a straight line in one direction until they hyperjump out. They are never Wanted. You find them mostly in Nav Beacons or in Supercruise on their way to a station.

Bounty Hunters: Normal names on these guys, sometimes a nickname like "The Eradicator". They fly Eagles and Vipers, I have also seen an Adder but only a few times. Rare hunters can be seen in a Federal Dropship. When checking their sub-targets they will have kill warrant scanners equipped. They usually belong to either no faction or to one of the lawful ones, typically the one in control of the system. You find them mainly at Nav Beacons where they will usually fly around and once they spot a wanted target will engage in combat with it. They always start Clean but can sometimes turn Wanted when they hit a wrong target in combat.

Smugglers: (Added by CMDR void* ) They fly Haulers or Adder, rarely Type-6 or Asp, are often wanted and carry some illegal stuff most of the time. I never really keep an eye on the factions but I would assume they are similar to pirates in that regard.

Miners: Normal names, usually in Sidewinders, sometimes Hauler or even a Cobra MK3. They have Mining Lasers and Refineries equipped and can be found at Belt Clusters or Resource Extraction Sites.

Extra Info:

Civilians are every ship that is not part of a military/authority/pirate group.

Authority are the security ships that patrol the system/respond to crimes.

Military are the ships that belong to the Navy of the faction in the system, they are called "Navy" in the name too.

There are also "Psychos" who will interdict you and immediately start attacking without scanning your cargo. They are NOT Pirates!

I hope this helps people find their targets!

Safe Flight Commanders!

JINYX

Neo Member
I think I see a Lakon Type 6 in my near future....or maybe I'll just shelf the dream of an Asp and head out exploring with the Cobra instead!

Get it! The cockpit of the Type 6 is amazing, as is the cargo space (I'm at 100t). Just make sure you upgrade the FSD and prob just dump the guns, you aren't fighting in that thing.

Sinatar

Wow, really? I should have my Cobra sometime tonight, sounds like I'll have to give up one of the Class 1 4T cargo racks to put a scoop in, that drives the Cobra down to 36T cargo space if I keep the shield and scanner. That makes for a LOT of trading runs to get me my 7 million for an Asp.

If you want an asp, a type 6 is pretty much essential, 100 tons of cargo space is a godsend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom