• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrTeflon

Flew to 3 stations today, no missions on the bulletin board. Is that a bug or something? I usualy see three, four, even unobtainable ones.

Wreav

Banned
Flew to 3 stations today, no missions on the bulletin board. Is that a bug or something? I usualy see three, four, even unobtainable ones.

See:

Also, want to reiterate this trick that someone noted a few pages ago: if you enter a station and are disappointed by the lack of or low number of bulletin board missions, switch to a different game mode (from Open Play to Solo, for example) to "refresh" available missions. You can then switch BACK to the other game mode and get another "refresh". You should have plenty of missions to work on.

Yeah, this. I had about 15 missions last night, didn't even have time to finish half of them, haha.

Also note that the list of missions is dynamic, based on your ship outfit. If you have no cargo space, or not enough cargo space, then cargo missions won't be available to you.

forms

So, having been stressed out due to work and other things I am finally ready to begin my journey. Hell, it's hard to even think about it now as an adult. Where the hell do I begin when I want to make money? :D

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Whoops, I just checked, those were non-lethal weapons. Sorry about that.

16088060541_8395616439_o.gif

JINYX

Neo Member
I still got a hard time flying around and shooting stuff :(

You'll get better with practice. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn when I first started either. Of course I use gimballed weapons now but still, just takes time to get used to it.

Can someone please shortly explain the whole Ho Hsi thing to me? I'm in a tough situation, now. Holidays on the horizon. I've bought a new laptop almost weeks ago. With this I bought ED on launch day, but I had to travel. Hence, not much time to play anything. And now the monitor is already broken. In total I have more or less 30 minutes of game time so far :(

JINYX

Neo Member
How do I find anarchy systems? Can't tell from the galaxy map.

Pull open the galaxy map, there should be a view tab in there. Open that, switch to realistic, then in the drop down select government, then select anarchy only (think it's color is red), after that look @ galaxy map and only those types of systems should show up. Some of this may be slightly off as I'm not in game but the majority is correct, sorry if it's inaccurate.

Note though, a system can have say a federation government type, but still have an anarchy station in it and those won't show up when doing this.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Been to a bunch of asteroid belts and they were ghost towns. Guessing it's because the systems I checked weren't very populated?

I usually spend my time at the nav bacon, scanning USSs or practicing my interdiction on wanted guys.

Sinatar

Been to a bunch of asteroid belts and they were ghost towns. Guessing it's because the systems I checked weren't very populated?

Make sure you're specifically going to areas marked on your nav list as 'extraction site', then give it a minute or two for ships to start showing up.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ah okay. I just assumed all asteroid belts were extraction sites.

I usually spend my time at the nav bacon, scanning USSs or practicing my interdiction on wanted guys.

I find that I get dropped out of supercruise around 9-12km from the actual extraction point/beacon, which is very far compared to how close you drop to nav beacons. It makes it look empty, but you're just too far to detect other ships. Make sure you fly to the actual extraction point itself and look around and wait a few.

EDIT:

Ah okay. I just assumed all asteroid belts were extraction sites.

Well, it seems like sometimes the Resource Extraction Site nav point doesn't show unless you're actually within a certain range of the belt or planet with a belt. I usually supercruise around and wait for it to pop up. As long as its not icy (these can't be mined), one should pop up.

That covers actually finding the site. Sinatar/my advice addresses what to do when you arrive at the point.

Ive been wondwring, when I'm in supercruise and I see ships flying around is there an easy way, or succinct way, to figure out where exactly they are so I can engage if necessary. Or is it essentially the same as approaching a planetary body or station?

So, for a trader, what's the natural progression?

Sidewinder > Hauler > Cobra or Type 6 > ?

If I'm just looking at an end goal of having a huge ship I can explore in while making enough credits trading to outfit a fighter when I want, is that a good path? Not sure if I should go straight for the Type 6 and skip the Cobra or if the jump from Hauler to Cobra is a huge enough jump to warrant the credits.

Sinatar

So, for a trader, what's the natural progression?

Sidewinder > Hauler > Cobra or Type 6 > ?

If I'm just looking at an end goal of having a huge ship I can explore in while making enough credits trading to outfit a fighter when I want, is that a good path? Not sure if I should go straight for the Type 6 and skip the Cobra or if the jump from Hauler to Cobra is a huge enough jump to warrant the credits.

Cargo capacity wise it's like this:
Sidewinder(8T) -> Hauler(16T)/Adder(20T) -> Cobra(40T) -> Type 6(100T).

Skipping ships for bigger ones is pretty pointless, you get 100% of the value of your ship + modules when you sell them, so you aren't really losing anything in the process by upgrading to each ship on the path.

Skyzard

Banned
Love voice attack so much. Thanks to jambi for the request docking.

Also the cobra slows down ... slow from boost. I'm still not used to it yet after coming from the eagle.

http://a.pomf.se/xtabcb.webm

I clipped a federation ship at the extraction sites and had to go back to pay a bounty. I usually manage it fine at a federal station but some people have me worried when they say it shoots them down after docking.

A weird thing is happening to me, with my hotas flight X all my bindings were where i wanted them to be.
But when i started the game tonight, my lateral thrust axis was the same as my yaw axis.

For those who have the same stick as me, my yaw axis was naturally on the joystick, and my lateral thrusts where on the analog button that you can push when you have your hand on the throttle. And now when i try to rebind,the game tells me that they are the same.

Cargo capacity wise it's like this:
Sidewinder(8T) -> Hauler(16T)/Adder(20T) -> Cobra(40T) -> Type 6(100T).

Skipping ships for bigger ones is pretty pointless, you get 100% of the value of your ship + modules when you sell them, so you aren't really losing anything in the process by upgrading to each ship on the path.

Hauler it is then. Didn't realize you get ship money back, thought you took a hardy loss. That's some good info!

Skyzard

Banned
A weird thing is happening to me, with my hotas flight X all my bindings were where i wanted them to be.
But when i started the game tonight, my lateral thrust axis was the same as my yaw axis.

For those who have the same stick as me, my yaw axis was naturally on the joystick, and my lateral thrusts where on the analog button that you can push when you have your hand on the throttle. And now when i try to rebind,the game tells me that they are the same.

Any chance you unplugged the joystick and throttle (I assume) and plugged them back in different usb slots?

Or added/removed different game controllers?

I had a bunch of issues in star citizen when I would do that and I think it's because it gives the controllers a number that depends on what else is plugged in? Not 100% tbh.

I assume lateral thrusters were on the throttle.

Any chance you unplugged the joystick and throttle (I assume) and plugged them back in different usb slots?

Or added/removed different game controllers?

I had a bunch of issues in star citizen when I would do that and I think it's because it gives the controllers a number that depends on what else is plugged in? Not 100% tbh.

I assume lateral thrusters were on the throttle.

Ok, thanks but it was not that. In fact, the button home was on the red light...

Dracil

So I really started getting into this game a few days after release started, and have been basically playing a trader because of one specific thing: Reputation.

From my understanding it's impossible to not ruin your reputation with factions/stations (which I guess might cause problems if you ever need to go there) if you decide to blow ships up.

The question is, can they be fixed later? Once you're hostile, are you basically screwed forever? I've read reports of people say their reputation went from Hostile to Unfriendly, but I've also read that was because of the rep bug shortly after Gamma, so the devs just bumped people's reps up manually. But I've also heard people say they were Friendly in a system, logged in a few days later, and were back at Neutral. If reputation decay is an actual mechanic, I think I'd probably feel more comfortable shooting down ships.

Hopped in my free bonus Eagle today and made around 100k in an hour or two with no extra gear except what comes with the ship. Enjoying the bounty hunting a lot more than my trading runs.

Hopped in my free bonus Eagle today and made around 100k in an hour or two with no extra gear except what comes with the ship. Enjoying the bounty hunting a lot more than my trading runs.

Yeah, they're gonna need to balance that a bit. Not much reason to trade with early ships since you can basically steal Wanted kills from NPCs.

Starviper

Yeah does anyone got some further info on reputation decay? It happened to me with Jet Comms Limited, not sure if it's a bug or a "feature"...

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Yeah does anyone got some further info on reputation decay? It happened to me with Jet Comms Limited, not sure if it's a bug or a "feature"...

Ahh the "What have you done for me lately?" feature. That would be hilarious, I would hope it's a bug cause to do so purposefully would be cruel.

Raxious

You'll get better with practice. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn when I first started either. Of course I use gimballed weapons now but still, just takes time to get used to it.

Yea, my main issue right now is I'm unable to react to the moving targets. So most of the time I'm just standing still and become a sitting duck. However, what I also do sometimes is flying towards the enemy, then when he passes me I go into full stop and try to turn asap. That doesn't always work though.

Yeah, they're gonna need to balance that a bit. Not much reason to trade with early ships since you can basically steal Wanted kills from NPCs.
Well I had lots of close calls but there were a couple instances where a Federal NPC helped me out. This is including payments from the missions as well.

Skyzard

Banned
Yea, my main issue right now is I'm unable to react to the moving targets. So most of the time I'm just standing still and become a sitting duck. However, what I also do sometimes is flying towards the enemy, then when he passes me I go into full stop and try to turn asap. That doesn't always work though.

I have the same issue in my cobra.

Some tips I learnt from others:

When you start boosting you get a massive increase in pitching direction movement so hit it (if you have it available), and don't wait too long (otherwise it will go straight) and trigger flight assist off. You'll spin like crazy.

Flight assist off also makes you turn faster after you are already in a decent swing (and have that momentum).

But I still run into that situation in normal combat, I think I just need to play more and practice more, judging when they'll turn etc. But it's hard as they usually always go directly at you.

Raxious

I have the same issue in my cobra.

Some tips I learnt from others:

When you start boosting you get a massive increase in pitching direction movement so hit it (if you have it available), and don't wait too long (otherwise it will go straight) and trigger flight assist off. You'll spin like crazy.

Flight assist off also makes you turn faster after you are already in a decent swing (and have that momentum).

But I still run into that situation in normal combat, I think I just need to play more and practice more, judging when they'll turn etc. But it's hard as they usually always go directly at you.

The thing is that when I turn off flight assist, it's like I have 0 control xD

Wreav

Banned
Picked up my first gimballed multicanon. MY GOD. Might need to get another!

edit: found one immediately, let's do this thing, feared pirate of Wise...LOUISE HAMMERTIME. The bounty shall be mine!

Sinatar

You actually turn slower when stopped, for the optimal turning arc keep your throttle in the blue. You can also use your thrusters to thrust towards your turn arc to cut it down.

Skyzard

Banned
^ this too. Slowing down for the turn and speeding up for the exit (like you would in racing games) helps quite a bit (slow down to the throttle blue section - the bar turns orange- though I'm not sure if that's with my colour scheme - otherwise it will be a blue line).

The thing is that when I turn off flight assist, it's like I have 0 control xD

Yeah it's quite punishing but you only need to trigger it for a few seconds and you don't need to move your ship too much (if you're attempting to get extra leverage during a spin while they're spinning).

Don't know many advanced moves but I'm sure there are some. Seems to give a lot more flexibility in certain situations, have it set to a convenient button.

Also, random tip, make sure your silent running button is set somewhere that you won't accidentally trigger it during the heat of things (and end up disabling your shield and having to wait for it to regenerate)!

A good hotkey if you're using head tracking is to set up a nice view radar button, so if you're looking up trying to find them during a spin but want a quick reference to the direction they went you can tap it, it shows the radar right in your screen and it will snap you back to where you were looking when you press it again. Saves you a bit of time, makes it clearer and less likely to lose track of things.

Raxious

^ this too. Slowing down for the turn and speeding up for the exit (like you would in racing games) helps quite a bit (slow down to the throttle blue section - the bar turns orange- though I'm not sure if that's with my colour scheme - otherwise it will be a blue line).

Yeah it's quite punishing but you only need to trigger it for a few seconds and you don't need to move your ship too much (if you're attempting to get extra leverage during a spin while they're spinning).

Don't know many advanced moves but I'm sure there are some. Seems to give a lot more flexibility in certain situations, have it set to a convenient button.

Also, random tip, make sure your silent running button is set somewhere that you won't accidentally trigger it during the heat of things (and end up disabling your shield and having to wait for it to regenerate)!

A good hotkey if you're using head tracking is to set up a nice view radar button, so if you're looking up trying to find them during a spin but want a quick reference to the direction they went you can tap it, it shows the radar right in your screen and it will snap you back to where you were looking when you press it again. Saves you a bit of time, makes it clearer and less likely to lose track of things.

I'm using Voice Attack for most of that stuff, works really well so I don't have to memorize all those keys.

Wreav

Banned
So the more I bounty hunt, the less viable I see it as a profession if your goal is a bigger fireship, like a Python or Anaconda. The payouts just seem too measly. I'm not sure how you could do the higher payout missions by yourself, at least not yet, without massive upgrades.

I did have a great day bounty hunting though, probably made about 150k, bought two gimballed multicannons that can shred a Cobra in two passes, and upgraded my power distributor to a significantly better unit for chump change.

I did find Ms. Hammertime too, but she was in a conda itching for a fight, and I had 50K in bounties to turn in...not today, ma'am, not today.

Klyka

Banned
I am currently ferrying personal weapons into Ho Hsi since they have a demand of 1300 for them, hoping it will help destabilize the system.

Sinatar

So the more I bounty hunt, the less viable I see it as a profession if your goal is a bigger fireship, like a Python or Anaconda. The payouts just seem too measly. I'm not sure how you could do the higher payout missions by yourself, at least not yet, without massive upgrades.

I did have a great day bounty hunting though, probably made about 150k, bought two gimballed multicannons that can shred a Cobra in two passes, and upgraded my power distributor to a significantly better unit for chump change.

I did find Ms. Hammertime too, but she was in a conda itching for a fight, and I had 50K in bounties to turn in...not today, ma'am, not today.

Given the extreme costs of maintaining high grade ships, I wouldn't worry about chasing after them until they rebalance things a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom