• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
True! Size is important in combat. Basically, the cobra is the Super Sidewinder. Jack of all trade, master of none.

While im there, is there any opinions on the Federation Dropship / Imperial Ship? I fought some dropship and they are quite the target, only deadzone was right behind the thrusters.

I haven't flown either, but looking at Kornelius's reviews of both, they are both pretty shit. Bad at combat, little cargo space and expensive as shit.

Serrato

I haven't flown either, but looking at Kornelius's reviews of both, they are both pretty shit. Bad at combat, little cargo space and expensive as shit.

So I guess armor is the only saving grace it got? Eh, I'll check more in detail later.

Then I suppose the only cool heavyship to pilot is the Python and Anaconda?

Really sucks, the excitement to have a new man toy is quite something. But if i may say something, for 200$ i would go CH all the way. Their freaking fighterstick from mid 90's are still rock solid.

That's why I went with the CH Combatstick and will get the Pro Throttle eventually. They aren't flashy at all, or cheap though comparable to the X55, but their reputation and build quality is flawless from everything I've seen and read. When people are talking about how their 15 year old stick is still working as well as the day they bought it you know they must be doing something right.

Believe me if I had the space I would be all over a CH setup but without twist on the stick its a non starter. I don't have the space to keep rudder pedals on the floor. Even if I did it's an additional $150 to match the basic functions of the X55. I just have to get one that doesn't have build issues.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So I guess armor is the only saving grace it got? Eh, I'll check more in detail later.

Currently yea. Python looks like an absolute animal, haven't seen any videos of actual players flying a 'conda yet.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

Python is medium size compared to the Anaconda. Its a big viper ;)

Asp seems a rather good ship. The lovely Lakon canopy, big hull, lots of hardpoints.

But Python is definitely my end goal as of right now, until they introduce more ships and something outclass it.

wrongway

Finally had some time for a decent session tonight and had a few fun adventures.

Took a mission with a suspiciously high payout that was to kill a wanted criminal (150k as a newbie with not even 10k in the bank? sounds like a safe bet). Did some exploring and found a lead on my mark. When I found the guy, he was designated as an Elite and he was flying an Anaconda. Decided to take a swing at him since I had come this far. Damn thing had guns everywhere. Jumped away with 30% hull after a 15 second "battle."

On my way home to repair I got interdicted. I thought it would be a weenie NPC, so I allowed the interdiction, ready to pick up an easy kill. To my surprise it was a player pirate who offered me the choice between my cargo or my life. Disappointed that I had no cargo, he awarded me with an all expense paid trip back to the station.

From there I took a mission to recover some dropped transmissions from a relay point. It was marked as an illegal activity, so I got to try my hand at stealth docking. Not sure if I did it right -- I left my thrusters on since I didn't trust myself to perfectly bullseye the port, but I tried to use them sparingly. I never got scanned, but I don't know if there were actually any security ships on deck or not with my scanner off. It was cool either way though.

So after that and a few simple courier missions, I'm up to a whopping 50k. What are people liking for their first step as a noob? Is it worth putting money into the little Sidewinder or is it better to just aim for a bigger ship first?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Yep. Also, you might want to do the same thing with Jet Comms missions, seeing how we want their civil unrest to go up to.

Ok, my first one bugged out and it took the slaves but gave 0 credits at the alt station - ouch. Second one worked as described, but I actually got a full reward at the alt station with a comment about me having a "cold streak". It shows a 1% influence drop for Ho Hsi Corp and the expected increase of economic bust and unrest. I'd say avoid betraying the Jet Comms ones or it'll hurt their influence.

gK6B3ik.png

"Multiple delivery options", got about 45k for delivering to the other station instead.

Edit: Third one worked too.
UEYp35c.png

QA8bq11.png

Anjelus_

Is there a link or some form of discussion I can review to see what the devs have planned for the future of Elite? I haven't bought it yet because of the lacking social features, but I wonder when/if these will be implemented and what else is planned. I'm really interested in the underlying concept of Elite, and I would love to see it develop and grow over the next few years.

JambiBum

I found a place that buys gold for 10.3k. Platinum for 20k. There is a great mining spot near it, so I might have to outfit my cobra for mining for a bit again.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
i don't know why people are so afraid of bounties in this game.

money is a laugh to come by, bounties don't matter cause a friend can just kill you cash in and give you the money.

the game is a huge sandbox stacked in the players favor.
That day 1 50k Ho Hsi corp bounty severely screwed me over. :p had to pay it off to be able to do much of anything. Only just now starting to get some cash reserve.

So if I like my Eagle, what's a good step up from it in terms of combat? I like to be able to manuever and stay right on people's asses more than anything, but a medium hardpoint would be nice.

Or do I pretty much have to lose agility to go up?

JambiBum

So if I like my Eagle, what's a good step up from it in terms of combat? I like to be able to manuever and stay right on people's asses more than anything, but a medium hardpoint would be nice.

Or do I pretty much have to lose agility to go up?

If you want to keep the maneuverability, go to viper, if you want the ability to carry cargo as well, go to cobra.

wrongway

successfully managed to "just one more mission" myself until 2am. Just about to 200k with my little stock newbie ship though! lol

Pand

Does anyone know if you can use Saitek X52's throttle separately? I can pick one up for cheap but I don't want to use the joystick...

Nymerio

I've got some empire bounties to turn in but there are no empire systems around me that I can see. Is there an easy way to find the nearest system for a given faction?

Hellers

So server maintenance on christmas eve, what in the world will I do now?
I need my platinum fix!

In game message said 15 minutes of downtime so we should be ok.

Guys. If you're on the fence about buying a flight stick and throttle pull the trigger. You won't regret it. My HOTAS X arrived a couple of days ago and it totally transforms the game. Having my hand on that chunky throttle makes me feel in control and totally badass.

I've found a nice gold run at the moment. Currently making just under 40k a run in my cobra so I'm saving up for a Lakon 6 now. Stations are really close to the star too.

"Does anyone know if you can use Saitek X52's throttle separately? I can pick one up for cheap but I don't want to use the joystick..."

I've done it before in a different game (MWO). You absolutely can. The brain of the X52 is in the throttle. The stick actually can't function without the throttle, but the throttle is completely independent of the stick.

Hellers

I've just bought a type 6 and I want a docking computer. I'm in a high tech station and they're not selling them. I went to a nearby system and a high tech station and they're not selling them either.

Where can I get one from?

Pand

"Does anyone know if you can use Saitek X52's throttle separately? I can pick one up for cheap but I don't want to use the joystick..."

I've done it before in a different game (MWO). You absolutely can. The brain of the X52 is in the throttle. The stick actually can't function without the throttle, but the throttle is completely independent of the stick.

Awesome, I'll pick it up then.

Sephon

Just got my first cobra MK 3, and I'm starting to get obsessed with this game.
Still got my Viper back in Noatiaca, and I want to have an entire armada of ships ready for when we can walk inside stations.

Today's the day! My HOTAS will be here and the late night will be devoted to mastering the heavens. Holy fuck I've never been more excited for a peripheral!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I traded like a raped banshee last night. Got my first Cobra MkIII:

I like the Cobra, a lot. Kitted it up to 40T cargo space and started trading. By the time I had extra credits to play with I decided to axe the shields and basic scanner and outfitted it full of cargo racks to give it 60T cargo space, and then the credits really started rolling in. I ended up the night at about 820,000 credits to my name, and that's after buying a few things for the Cobra like a better FSD and power distributor.

One thing I really like about this game is that you can outfit, buy, and sell ships at your fancy and you never really lose any credits for doing so other than when getting blown up and paying insurance. I sold my Eagle and now only own one ship, the Cobra. As far as I can tell I could simply buy the Eagle back and it would be a net zero change in my credits, there isn't any penalty. If I trade the Cobra in for a Lakon 6 and make lots of credits with it, then later trade the Lakon 6 back in for my Cobra again, I don't lose anything in doing so. The way it's set up gives you the freedom to try new ships without fear really. I like that!

Think I'll trade up to a Lakon 6 today and truck some more cargo across the 'verse...

What's the best pair of pedals to order along with the warthog? The saitek ones mentioned on newegg have poor reviews in regards to build quality and carpet usability.

Klyka

Banned
So I traded like a raped banshee last night. Got my first Cobra MkIII:

I like the Cobra, a lot. Kitted it up to 40T cargo space and started trading. By the time I had extra credits to play with I decided to axe the shields and basic scanner and outfitted it full of cargo racks to give it 60T cargo space, and then the credits really started rolling in. I ended up the night at about 820,000 credits to my name, and that's after buying a few things for the Cobra like a better FSD and power distributor.

One thing I really like about this game is that you can outfit, buy, and sell ships at your fancy and you never really lose any credits for doing so other than when getting blown up and paying insurance. I sold my Eagle and now only own one ship, the Cobra. As far as I can tell I could simply buy the Eagle back and it would be a net zero change in my credits, there isn't any penalty. If I trade the Cobra in for a Lakon 6 and make lots of credits with it, then later trade the Lakon 6 back in for my Cobra again, I don't lose anything in doing so. The way it's set up gives you the freedom to try new ships without fear really. I like that!

Think I'll trade up to a Lakon 6 today and truck some more cargo across the 'verse...

You always sell your ship for 90% of it's actual value.
So when you decide to sell a ship, set all modules back to the cheapest ones so you get your full money back for them and THEN sell the ship.
You will lose way less money on selling that way.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
You always sell your ship for 90% of it's actual value.
So when you decide to sell a ship, set all modules back to the cheapest ones so you get your full money back for them and THEN sell the ship.
You will lose way less money on selling that way.

Ah, so it's a 10% loss, that makes more sense I guess. Good advice on the modules though. Still, not too shabby.

I still think I'm going to trade up to the Lakon 6. I'm curious to see what it's like, I'm having fun trying out all of these different ships in the game but only owning one at a time. Gives me the freedom to romp around the galaxy without feeling tied down to any one "home" system.

Raxious

Sooo, I thought I knew the controls so decided to go into the real game. So after leaving the station, I might have accidentally shot the station and got blown into pieces...Now I'm 5 minutes in and I already have a debt xD

Hellers

Ah, so it's a 10% loss, that makes more sense I guess. Good advice on the modules though. Still, not too shabby.

I still think I'm going to trade up to the Lakon 6. I'm curious to see what it's like, I'm having fun trying out all of these different ships in the game but only owning one at a time. Gives me the freedom to romp around the galaxy without feeling tied down to any one "home" system.

I have a lakon 6 at the moment. It steers like a beached whale and you really, really need to keep an eye on the docking computer but it has a lovely cockpit for looking around. Real wide field of view.

Pand

Well, I just bought my first MKIII, I could just barely afford it so the first trading I tried to make with it run ate up all of the rest of my cash. I would have made a nice profit off it if my ship didn't get blown the fuck up while I was idling on the station's launch pad to check my map. No idea what happened, one moment the ship is fine and literally 5 seconds later it's destroyed. I didn't even get to fly it once, haha.

So with no money left (I had to take out a loan to get my ship back) I downgraded to the Adder again. At least I didn't lose too much money besides the cargo I lost, but still, pretty infuriating.

Note to self: always check your map before you press launch.

Lagamorph

I've decided that if I can get an X52 for a decent price in the post-christmas sales then I'm gonna grab this game.
Cheapest I've seen is £99.99 on Amazon though it's out of stock at the moment. Probably because of this game.

Smash88

Banned
Just got my first eagle. Those things cost so much money fully kitted. Going to fly it tomorrow, because now it's time for bed.

onken

Does the beam laser use ammo? Or is it just charge up like the starting pulse laser? Sounds like pretty good value if I don't have to buy ammo. Should I go for that or a gimballed homing missile rack (~75k)? I currently have a single gimballed multi-cannon but looking for a second heavy weapon. Thanks!

Skyzard

Banned
^ No charge up, no ammo. I don't know if it gets stronger the longer you enable it though.

Is there a link or some form of discussion I can review to see what the devs have planned for the future of Elite? I haven't bought it yet because of the lacking social features, but I wonder when/if these will be implemented and what else is planned. I'm really interested in the underlying concept of Elite, and I would love to see it develop and grow over the next few years.

Not sure.

People have whole websites that are just a screenshot of what a dev said in a forum post about what they hope is coming.

It's been said that multiplayer focused stuff is hopefully coming in early 2015.

This has some other info:
http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Features_in_the_expansions

That day 1 50k Ho Hsi corp bounty severely screwed me over. :p had to pay it off to be able to do much of anything. Only just now starting to get some cash reserve.

It was annoying me too much too, I left the system.

What's the best pair of pedals to order along with the warthog? The saitek ones mentioned on newegg have poor reviews in regards to build quality and carpet usability.

Build is great for me. Combat pro pedals right? It should be for the price too!

It wasn't great even on carpet I had to put something behind my desk to push up against it. Otherwise it would slide forward.

I don't bother using the huge shifters - they take way too much effort. I use the toe breaks. So much more convenient for yaw - you need to combine the axis into one using UJR for analogue control - pretty sure it won't be otherwise.

Klyka

Banned
It was annoying me too much too, I left the system.

I have a 200k bounty with Ho hsi Corp again and have been hostile with them from day 1. I regularly dock at Hand Ring and take missions there.

It really is no problem being wanted in that one system,especially not when there are all these great systems like kokojina or aeternitas around.

Skyzard

Banned
I have a 200k bounty with Ho hsi Corp again and have been hostile with them from day 1. I regularly dock at Hand Ring and take missions there.

It really is no problem being wanted in that one system,especially not when there are all these great systems like kokojina or aeternitas around.

I still have to pay a 200k cr fine too (though it says 133 in my right-hand menu but not when I go to pay)...I was getting interdicted every journey in Ho Hsi... good practice at least.

As I beginner I wanted a bit more freedom, especially as I like to bounty hunt but even in nearby systems it seemed like the security was still against me. Not sure if that's because I was attacking their friendly but wanted folks or what.

Only happens in like 1/10 instances in this far away system I'm at. They'll say you're wanted in this sector (even normal npcs) though I'd have no local bounty and am friendly here and hadn't attacked anyone yet. Is it to do with their kill scanners scanning further? Not sure yet.

I'll come back for a big push if we do one, now that I've got more money and kitted out my cobra (90K rebuy cost lol) to do decent damage and survival (though I feel like I should have gone viper as I mostly combat and it's a bit less nimble than I'd like - though journeying would have taken forever from what I read due to low jump distance once upgraded).

Build is great for me. Combat pro pedals right? It should be for the price too!

It wasn't great even on carpet I had to put something behind my desk to push up against it. Otherwise it would slide forward.

I don't bother using the huge shifters - they take way too much effort. I use the toe breaks. So much more convenient for yaw - you need to combine the axis into one using UJR for analogue control - pretty sure it won't be otherwise.
Yeah, I have a wood block I can set them on so that's not really an issue. Just wanted to make sure they were the best option. Have a 50 dollar gift card from the warthog I can put towards the cost which makes me worry less about potential issues.

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah, I have a wood block I can set them on so that's not really an issue. Just wanted to make sure they were the best option. Have a 50 dollar gift card from the warthog I can put towards the cost which makes me worry less about potential issues.

That will do, maybe cut a ridge in it for the cable that comes out the middle to slide underneath - you'll put the wood block in front of the middle part of course.

Maybe add some soft pads behind it against the desk.

You'd think the company would fix the "where to buy" links. Seems like it'd be important for them.

Those do look nice though.

I haven't tried both to see which are better I like that you can rest your whole feet on these.

la_briola

That will do, maybe cut a ridge in it for the cable that comes out the middle to slide underneath - you'll put the wood block in front of the middle part of course.

You'd think the company would fix the "where to buy" links. Seems like it'd be important for them.

Those do look nice though.

I haven't tried both to see which are better I like that you can rest your whole feet on these.
Yeah, there website has problems. I always shop here: http://en.shop.aerosoft.com/eshop.p...english&shopfilter_category=Flight Simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom