• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Watch closely, he isn't walking anywhere, it's just the camera in DK2 will move where you move your head. The pilot never leaves the seat.

Correct, the DK2 allows the camera position to move outside of the normal boundaries. It's a good preview though of what walking around will actually be like in the expansion.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
It is something planned for the future tho, isn't it?

Oh and quick questions, does the credit reward for black box/rebel transmissions etc missions go down in quieter parts of space? I left the ho hsi/changthini area today and went exploring hoping to find some new planets and stuff, cant remember where I ended up, but I remember being bitterly disappointed by the credits on offer for average jobs at the station I wound up at

Yes its planned for the future. I dont think peoples grasp how huge these ships are. The sidewinder is 3 stories high, when you will walk out of it with VR it'll be quite an experience.

bj00rn_

Banned
Watch closely, he isn't walking anywhere, it's just the camera in DK2 will move where you move your head. The pilot never leaves the seat.

Of course you can walk around the cockpit with a DK2. As long as you put the camera far enough away you can stroll around as much as you like - i think?

You will be able to in an expansion. I remember David Braben in some interview (think it was EGX or Gamescom, can't remember), where he said some of the ships already have modelled interiors other than the cockpit, but there is no gameplay purpose at the moment to leave your cockpit so they haven't done any gameplay programming to enable it yet till they are certain what they want to do. For example there was talk about being able to repair modules which would require you to walk in your ship to do so, we already have modelled damage for modules (like the cargo hatch), so one of the gameplay ideas they have is that you would be able to leave the cockpit and repair the cargo hatch.

Starviper

Getting super annoyed here.. Got a ranking mission for the federation where I need to source 2 combat stabilizers. Easy right? I went a few sectors over and purchased trade data for basically everything I could and there is nowhere that seems to have it.

:(

Getting super annoyed here.. Got a ranking mission for the federation where I need to source 2 combat stabilizers. Easy right? I went a few sectors over and purchased trade data for basically everything I could and there is nowhere that seems to have it.

:(

Never take a combat stabilizer rank progression mission, keep refreshing and you will get one that involves shit you can source within normal jump range. Stabilizers are like waaaaay the fuck out in Empire space.

Anyone want to give a quick summary on how to interpret the Market/Commodities menu? What does XXXX HIGH/MED/LOW mean, etc? I'd like to start trading and the like but I don't quite understand how to make sense of what the different columns mean, other than BUY/SELL.

owlbeak

Anyone want to give a quick summary on how to interpret the Market/Commodities menu? What does XXXX HIGH/MED/LOW mean, etc? I'd like to start trading and the like but I don't quite understand how to make sense of what the different columns mean, other than BUY/SELL.
Simplified explanation:

There are two columns you want to look at, Supply and Demand. You'll want to buy things that are in High supply because they will be cheap and sell where there is high demand because you'll make a profit selling. When you click on whatever that item/mineral or whatever it will tell you where it's exported to. That's where you'll want to take it to sell (check to see how close the system is - you want it to be close), because that is where the demand will be high. You can, of course, do that the reverse way as well and see what is in high demand and where it's imported from, fly to that system and buy the item and take it back to the system where it's in high demand to sell.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Believe me if I had the space I would be all over a CH setup but without twist on the stick its a non starter. I don't have the space to keep rudder pedals on the floor. Even if I did it's an additional $150 to match the basic functions of the X55. I just have to get one that doesn't have build issues.

Well right now I just have the stick, no throttle, so I'm using my KB for stuff like vertical and lateral thrust, throttle, power management, boost and other odds and ends. Including Yaw, which so far is working out great. I previously had a twist stick back in the day and while it's nice it's also horrible at times as it can become very easy in an intense fight where you are moving the stick around a lot to frequently and accidentally twist it and throw yourself off target.

Right now have having WASD as my vert/lat thrusters and QE as my Yaw is proving to be quite competent. Though I am pretty sure I'll get the Pro Throttle eventually.

It's just really nice knowing that I can most likely depend on using this stick for the next decade where we will hopefully have a resurgence of good space combat sims after the initial wave of Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen. So having a flight stick that will serve me through it all is pretty comforting. Especially when the alternatives really aren't that much cheaper, if at all.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
What's the latest Ho Hsi strategy?

In general, we're trying to create unrest and take actions that directly decrease the influence of Ho Hsi Corp, rather than doing positive missions for Jet Comms since that seems to be maxed out.

Take missions from Ho Hsi Corp to smuggle in slaves. (Save/quit to menu and switch between solo/open to refresh the list)

Once you have one, supercruise around and keep an eye out for unidentified signal sources. After one or two you usually get one that gives you an alternative mission to deliver the slaves to a different station instead. Go get them (from LP 811-17 - Doyle Dock) and then deliver to the alternate station instead of the one that you got the mission at. You should get paid and also see a popup saying that unrest increased and Ho Hsi Corp influence decreased.

It'll look like this:
UEYp35c.png

QA8bq11.png

The ideal situation is to buy at high supply and sell to high demand.
High supply = good spot to buy.
High demand = good spot to sell.

If you plot out the two stations on a line like this, the ones with the biggest lines will have the greatest profit per dollar. (however, there might be more potential in trading higher price per ton items, even if the supply/demand difference is a bit lower)

Code:
Highest profit:
HD MD LD LS MS HS
<--------------->

Lowest profit:
HD MD LD LS MS HS
      <--->

Ok: 
HD MD LD LS MS HS
      <--------->

Ok:
HD MD LD LS MS HS
   <------>

Can't trade at all (can only buy from supply and sell to demand):
HD MD LD LS MS HS
         <--->

HD MD LD LS MS HS
   <--->

Wired

Ugh, bought the game a couple of days ago and dug out the good old X45. Booted into the game and fired up the options menu, then promptly closed it down and shut of the game. I don't know when I'll find the energy necessary to go through and rebind everything, not in the near future that's for sure.

Simplified explanation:

There are two columns you want to look at, Supply and Demand. You'll want to buy things that are in High supply because they will be cheap and sell where there is high demand because you'll make a profit selling. When you click on whatever that item/mineral or whatever it will tell you where it's exported to. That's where you'll want to take it to sell (check to see how close the system is - you want it to be close), because that is where the demand will be high. You can, of course, do that the reverse way as well and see what is in high demand and where it's imported from, fly to that system and buy the item and take it back to the system where it's in high demand to sell.

Awesome, thank you so much for the rundown. Making sense now.

So the numbers next to say, HIGH, just indicate a higher supply/demand ?

DrBo42

Bought a Type 7 (roughly 18 million in assets) and got rammed/stuck in a docking port via an NPC. Didn't have the money for the insurance. 18 million in assets gone, but I have a free sidewinder. Merry Christmas.

Jedi2016

Did fuel prices suddenly go up while I was away? I went out in my Cobra for the first time today and got some sticker shock after just one little jump. Do the bigger ships use exponentially more fuel now? Wasn't like that the last time I flew a Cobra in Beta, but that was a while ago.

owlbeak

Awesome, thank you so much for the rundown. Making sense now.

So the numbers next to say, HIGH, just indicate a higher supply/demand ?
You're welcome! :D The numbers in the Supply and Demand column tell you the amount of that particular item that is at the station if it's supply and the amount of that item that they have a demand for if it's in the demand column, I believe. It's relatively meaningless, really. All you should really care about is if it says High/Medium/Low and what it costs :]

owlbeak

In general, we're trying to create unrest and take actions that directly decrease the influence of Ho Hsi Corp, rather than doing positive missions for Jet Comms since that seems to be maxed out.

Take missions from Ho Hsi Corp to smuggle in slaves. (Save/quit to menu and switch between solo/open to refresh the list)

Once you have one, supercruise around and keep an eye out for unidentified signal sources. After one or two you usually get one that gives you an alternative mission to deliver the slaves to a different station instead. Go get them (from LP 811-17 - Doyle Dock) and then deliver to the alternate station instead of the one that you got the mission at. You should get paid and also see a popup saying that unrest increased and Ho Hsi Corp influence decreased.
Thank you!

JambiBum

Bo I had something like that happen to me about midway through the beta. I bought my very first cobra after working really hard to get to it and then died in a fight. I was like ok I still have enough for insurance if I die one more time. Load up another ship and as soon as I leave the dock I crashed, and didn't have enough for the insurance. I stopped playing the beta for a long time after that lol.

bj00rn_

Banned
This also happened months ago when the beta came out and it was clear, just look at the pilots hands, that the x52 was the intended control system. I got the last one in the UK before a multi-week wait for restock.

Even here in Norway they have been more or less constantly sold out for months, tried to get a hold of one for a long time until I finally got to buy one. Weird.

You're welcome! :D The numbers in the Supply and Demand column tell you the amount of that particular item that is at the station if it's supply and the amount of that item that they have a demand for if it's in the demand column, I believe. It's relatively meaningless, really. All you should really care about is if it says High/Medium/Low and what it costs :]
Okay now that I have a basis for starting I'm going to give it a shot later tonight with my T Flight!

Damn the more I play the more it pulls me in.

Did fuel prices suddenly go up while I was away? I went out in my Cobra for the first time today and got some sticker shock after just one little jump. Do the bigger ships use exponentially more fuel now? Wasn't like that the last time I flew a Cobra in Beta, but that was a while ago.

Bigger ships use up quite a lot more fuel per jump.

JambiBum

Couple of tips for anyone that wants to try out mining. Don't go to resource sites, go to asteroid belt clusters instead. They hardly have any pirates and they have far better resources. Look for metallic belts in the system maps. If you can find a couple of belt clusters near each other you can jump from one to another and have their sources refresh on each jump.

Jedi2016

The only time I try to be fancy is when I'm approaching an outpost for landing. I'll have all of my lateral thrusters going to line myself up with whatever direction the landing pad is facing, and I've come close to sliding sideways into the station a few times. I'm not really going that fast, though, so it probably wouldn't do that much damage.

Stations don't shoot at you for crashing into them, do they? lol

wrongway

Ugh, bought the game a couple of days ago and dug out the good old X45. Booted into the game and fired up the options menu, then promptly closed it down and shut of the game. I don't know when I'll find the energy necessary to go through and rebind everything, not in the near future that's for sure.

Hey dude, as luck would have it I'm using an old X45 too, and I even made an oldschool colored reference sheet for it for fun in between working on other stuff.

Here's my bindings file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nesowyobaj41n3k/Custom.binds?dl=0
Put this in:
C:\Users\<Name>\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

Here's the X45 profile:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ghk2wgdwlhdbju/Elite.pr0?dl=0
Put this in:
C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Saitek SD6 Profiles

And here's the reference sheet:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21572563/Elite-Layout.jpg

edit: Oh yeah, the layout is a tiny bit old/not finished, but it's really just missing a few things from the keyboard, which are redundant anyway. The actual X45 part is complete I think.

Xanezz

Banned
Bigger ships use up quite a lot more fuel per jump.

Not sure, my Viper has the same fuel storage capacity as my old Eagle but the fuel costs more for the same %. I think fuel cost is just a percentage of the ship's value, honstly. Correct me if I'm horribly wrong since I only really have those two to go by, but I don't think it's just the extra fuel consumption.

Jedi2016

Not sure, my Viper has the same fuel storage capacity as my old Eagle but the fuel costs more for the same %. I think fuel cost is just a percentage of the ship's value, honstly. Correct me if I'm horribly wrong since I only really have those two to go by, but I don't think it's just the extra fuel consumption.
You might be right... I'm paying about ten times as much for fuel in my Cobra as I was in the Sidewinder. It has a higher capacity, but the jumps are short.. 6-8ly is costing me 600-700 credits to top off. And I just bought that ship, I don't have all that much extra money, trying to save up for upgrades.

JambiBum

You might be right... I'm paying about ten times as much for fuel in my Cobra as I was in the Sidewinder. It has a higher capacity, but the jumps are short.. 6-8ly is costing me 600-700 credits to top off. And I just bought that ship, I don't have all that much extra money, trying to save up for upgrades.

Fuel scoop is your new best friend.

Xanezz

Banned
Been watching some videos (thanks who recommended Kornelius Briedis, pretty helpful stuff) and the fuel scoop seemed a bit on the slow side.. but if you say it's helpful I'll consider it once I upgrade to cobra.

JambiBum

Been watching some videos (thanks who recommended Kornelius Briedis, pretty helpful stuff) and the fuel scoop seemed a bit on the slow side.. but if you say it's helpful I'll consider it once I upgrade to cobra.

Depends on the level of scoop you buy. The one I have now can get up to 60/s but I usually keep it around 40 so that my heat levels don't get too high. It doesn't take that long to fill up a cobra.

I have a fun little story to share. I have been mining off and on throughout the night between a couple of belt clusters. When I finish one belt I just cruise to the next one. By the time I'm done with it the others have refilled. I needed to jump to another belt because the one I was at was out of resources. I was carrying a pretty decent haul on me when I got interdicted by a python with no shields. I only had a burst laser, multi cannon, and missle rack with me as one of my hardpoints was being used for my mining laser. I check the python's bounty and realize that it's 50k so I figured why not try and fight it and see what happens. I'm doing pretty well in the fight and even managed to get some help from some Feds when all of a sudden the python (which is at like 25% at this point) decides to ram me pretty hard. It busts out my shields and drops me down to 20% but it explodes. I think that I'm safe when I hear my canopy crack open and I start to lose oxygen. Luckily there is a station in the system I am in that isn't too far away so I figure I'll be able to make it even with only 5 minutes of oxygen. While in SC with about 3 and a half minutes left I get interdicted by another pirate. Since I had no time to try and fight him I boost as fast as my ship will let me and jump away, taking no damage in the process. Now I only have 2 minutes left to drop out of SC, request docking, and dock at the station. I drop out of SC with about 1:45 left and boost my way into the range required to request to dock. I shout at my computer to request docking and thankfully VA works on the first try. I have about a minute left by the time I get to the station when I realize that I still have to find my landing pad since it's a star port and not a station. So I'm frantically looking around when I finally see it with about 40 seconds left. I manage to land fairly quickly and let out a sigh of relief as I think that I'm finally safe. I go to repair my ship only to find out that the station I chose to land at doesn't have the option to repair :(. I freak out and go to the commodity market as fast as possible to sell off whatever cargo I can. I manage to sell off all of my most expensive minerals as I hear my pilot gasp for his last breath. I missed out on a few of the cheaper minerals and the bounty that I got from the python but at least I managed to sell about 120k worth of cargo instead of losing it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom