• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaptorGTA

Cockpit of my type-6

MmuyDuy.png

Damn, what a view!

Nymerio

Got 100k in the bank. Really happy with my eagle currently. Question: Do I prioritize shields or hull for the eagle? I already have the reinforced hull but I could afford the military grade hull upgrade. Is it worth it? I'm still rocking the standard shields though, so I guess I should upgrade that first. Though the station I'm currently at does not have any shield upgrades available :|

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Got 100k in the bank. Really happy with my eagle currently. Question: Do I prioritize shields or hull for the eagle? I already have the reinforced hull but I could afford the military grade hull upgrade. Is it worth it? I'm still rocking the standard shields though, so I guess I should upgrade that first. Though the station I'm currently at does not have any shield upgrades available :|

Shield management is super important in later ships, so you might as well get in the habit now of not taking hull damage, upgrade them shields.

Serrato

Shields, easily. Eagle are too brittle on the plating department so better shields would make you more resistant in the long run + cost less overall repairs.

RoyalFool

Banned
Need some advice from you guys, as I'm not sure if this is the sort of game I should buy now or hold fire on.

With MMO's I always get in day one - don't care how buggy, as it's just fun seeing everybody new to the world, having nice populated starting areas and so forth.

With X4 games I tend to hold fire until it's on sale, as by then all the frustrating bugs and glitches are ironed out - if I'm going to plough hours into it, I don't want balance changing tweaks mid-game etc.

.. Which one do you think would apply to this?

Need some advice from you guys, as I'm not sure if this is the sort of game I should buy now or hold fire on.

With MMO's I always get in day one - don't care how buggy, as it's just fun seeing everybody new to the world, having nice populated starting areas and so forth.

With X4 games I tend to hold fire until it's on sale, as by then all the frustrating bugs and glitches are ironed out - if I'm going to plough hours into it, I don't want balance changing tweaks mid-game etc.

This really is not an MMO in the sense we have come to use that term. You rarely see others unless you are in a populated system and even then its limited to 32.

Get it for the game, not the community. There is more banter in this thread than in game.

And it is definitely a work in progress. FANTASTIC BASE but there will be big changes as players find exploits and such.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
What do better grades of shield generator actually offer? What the best upgrade the either make it last longer or regen faster?

Just rebumping my question. I honestly never messed around with ship's internal modules in beta.

I've read in the FD forums that the shield generator upgrades barely did anything because they only change the hull mass they cover, but that was months ago so i think it might be outdated.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Finally got Slopeys Tool and Elite OCR working together. So good.

Good topic - what has everyone been using for trading tools?

Here's a thread about that combo: http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2phveh/ed_best_profit_calc_by_slopey_v4_now_with/

EliteOCR seems like it's about as good as it'll get for automating data entry. It writes to CSV, so it could be used with a bunch of different applications.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=68771

Slopey's BCP
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=76081
It's nice that it has an option to work locally instead of using the web database. I'd rather just track my own stuff.

Shifty76

Unless you go to Ho Hsi where players are flocking to, you will interact with very few human players. I haven't even seen another cmdr in over a week now. If lots of interaction with other human players is super important to you then this may not be the game for you.

I haven't had a single bug/glitch yet and haven't seen many reports of them from others either.

So I traded like a raped banshee last night. Got my first Cobra MkIII:

I like the Cobra, a lot. Kitted it up to 40T cargo space and started trading. By the time I had extra credits to play with I decided to axe the shields and basic scanner and outfitted it full of cargo racks to give it 60T cargo space, and then the credits really started rolling in. I ended up the night at about 820,000 credits to my name, and that's after buying a few things for the Cobra like a better FSD and power distributor.

One thing I really like about this game is that you can outfit, buy, and sell ships at your fancy and you never really lose any credits for doing so other than when getting blown up and paying insurance. I sold my Eagle and now only own one ship, the Cobra. As far as I can tell I could simply buy the Eagle back and it would be a net zero change in my credits, there isn't any penalty. If I trade the Cobra in for a Lakon 6 and make lots of credits with it, then later trade the Lakon 6 back in for my Cobra again, I don't lose anything in doing so. The way it's set up gives you the freedom to try new ships without fear really. I like that!

Think I'll trade up to a Lakon 6 today and truck some more cargo across the 'verse...

How are you finding running it without shields? I'm very tempted for the extra 16t cargo, but as I trade in a lot of Anarchy systems I haven't taken the plunge yet.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I feel like I should trade in my Viper for a Cobra since I've been spending more time doing bulletin board missions to collect cargo, black box, prototypes and transmissions, since actual high yield bounties are few and far between and kind of a pain to complete and in anarchy systems actual wanted people are rare.

I feel like specing it out to be a solid fighter with good cargo space, 20-30, would be way better than the 12ton cargo I have no on my Viper. Pirating would be more viable as I could attack a few freighters and take in all their cargo and not just a couple of them like I do now.

Right now I'm sitting at 340k in the bank. Might trek over to some Federation systems get kill warrant scanner and make some fast cash and see if I find that more interesting than the bulletin board stuff.

Sinatar

Just rebumping my question. I honestly never messed around with ship's internal modules in beta.

I've read in the FD forums that the shield generator upgrades barely did anything because they only change the hull mass they cover, but that was months ago so i think it might be outdated.

All parts have a letter and a number grade. The letter is the quality, so having an A grade shield gives you more shield health then say an E grade shield. The number grade is the size of the part and determines what size ship it can be mounted on and the mass coverage.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
All parts have a letter and a number grade. The letter is the quality, so having an A grade shield gives you more shield health then say an E grade shield. The number grade is the size of the part and determines what size ship it can be mounted on and the mass coverage.
So I assume if you fit a class 1 part onto an Anaconda, it's not going to provide full benefits?

How do you tell which class of ship corresponds to which parts. Or is the number just a general summary of the part's properties and the Optimal Mass value the only important thing?

Sinatar

So I assume if you fit a class 1 part onto an Anaconda, it's not going to provide full benefits?

How do you tell which class of ship corresponds to which parts. Or is the number just a general summary of the part's properties and the Optimal Mass value the only important thing?

The number in orange is the max size that slot will take, the number in white is what you have fitted.

Haly

I didn't know they could go negative.

OH, so that's what those numbers are.

Christ this game needs 1000 more tooltips.

Skyzard

Banned

To be honest. As much as I am hooked on this game, and I have been hooked, there isn't a whole bunch to do or see. You can do some simple repetitive missions, bounty hunt, "explore", mine and trade.

I guess that's why we're really pushing for the civil war to break out...so we can see something other than the instances.

I like the combat mechanics and flying spaceships so I'm in at least for a while longer but don't come with huge expectations about a galaxy with life and variety other than different kinds of spheres.

It's fun to get to grips with, practice the flying mechanics and experiencing the combat especially with headtracking etc...but I'm hoping it's fleshed out a lot before I get bored. I'm doubtful though.

It's a decent "do some stuff with your ship in space" game. Not really so much with others yet. MMOs are fun at the start for me as everyone tries hard to work together and see more.

Lime

My saitek x52 pro is having issues installing the official drivers. The throttle isn't lighting up and my computer won't turn off or restart (something with the USB ports I imagine). Tried reinstalling, cleaning registries, rollback to previous state, etc., but to no avail. Anyone have any similar experiences and or solutions?

Sinatar

My saitek x52 pro is having issues installing the official drivers. The throttle isn't lighting up and my computer won't turn off or restart (something with the USB ports I imagine). Tried reinstalling, cleaning registries, rollback to previous state, etc., but to no avail. Anyone have any similar experiences and or solutions?

I had all kinds of problems with it. Turns out it doesn't like USB 3.0 ports, try a 2.0 port. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to go into your BIOS/UEFI and disable XHCI.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Just got my DK2 and fired this up.

My god... my god..

Yeah, I think I'll go ahead and order one. I had been holding off since the consumer version was expected before too long, but 350 over six months or so isn't too bad. I think I'll order a STEM set while I'm at it too. Edit: all done. I just went with the basic package since I don't care about the body motion tracking. http://store.sixense.com/collections/stem/products/2-tracker-stem-system

I'm actually pretty happy playing with a controller, I just need a few more buttons. I think I'll try out the Razer Sabertooth. Those rockers on the bottom should be very helpful.
http://www.razerzone.com/ca-en/gaming-controllers/razer-sabertooth
Edit: never mind, those can only be mapped to other 360 controller inputs. They don't exist as their own button inputs. Windows just sees it as a standard 360 controller. It doesn't have a Razer driver and there's no integration to Synapse. Lame.

Lime

I had all kinds of problems with it. Turns out it doesn't like USB 3.0 ports, try a 2.0 port. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to go into your BIOS/UEFI and disable XHCI.

Xhci is definitely the problem then! Already switched to usb 2.0 and in the bios I thought xhci was necessary. I'll try it out tomorrow when I get back from Christmas celebrations (and hopefully a copy of elite dangerous)...Thanks Sinatar!

Aegus

Got my Viper kitted out. I actually had a Cobra, but really didn't like how it felt.

I can now go toe to toe with an NPC Anaconda. Had an awesome battle with one where we were literally bumping and scraping (my earlier note to self was forgotten) and I just managed to destroy his power generator as he was about to jump.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
How are you finding running it without shields? I'm very tempted for the extra 16t cargo, but as I trade in a lot of Anarchy systems I haven't taken the plunge yet.

Actually it wasn't too bad. I only got interdicted twice and both times I easily outran my attacker and jumped back into supercruise. The Cobra is so fast that it makes running without shields not a big deal IMHO.

NOW, this morning I traded up to a Lakon 6 and am running that sans shields too at 108T cargo space (have a fuel scoop in one of the class 2 slots or it would be 112T). While I like flying the Lakon 6, it's a space bus with a superb view out the window, but running sans shields in this is a bit more tricky. Is it just me or do NPC pirates really seek out Lakons? I've been interdicted more in the Lakon 6 this morning than I was in the past week total. And seeing how it's not near as fast as the Cobra it takes a few hits when running away. Hauling in a Lakon feels rewarding but risky too.

However, the grind up to 7 million creds for the Asp is going to be a lonnnggggg one. I'm beginning to think I may just fit out a Cobra for exploration and venture out like that for now and forego the Asp until later....

Nymerio

Shield management is super important in later ships, so you might as well get in the habit now of not taking hull damage, upgrade them shields.

Shields, easily. Eagle are too brittle on the plating department so better shields would make you more resistant in the long run + cost less overall repairs.

Thanks, now I'll just have to find a station that has fitting shields...

charpunk

Please post detailed impressions. I'd love to hear them.

This game was one of the main reasons I pulled the trigger on the DK2 instead of waiting for the CV1. I had to check it out after hearing people describe their experiences with it.

It really is surreal the way it makes you feel like you are actually in the cockpit. Using a Hotas and looking down and seeing the character's hands move exactly like your own is crazy. I definitively had a moment or two when I moved my hand off the throttle and wondered why the character's hand was still on it.

Coming out of hyperdrive in front of a star, and the way the light fills up the cockpit feels so real. Being able to move my head makes tracking ships during combat a lot easier. Looking to the right or left to bring up the ship menus really awesome as well. I can't imagine playing this any other way now.

This game was one of the main reasons I pulled the trigger on the DK2 instead of waiting for the CV1. I had to check it out after hearing people describe their experiences with it.

It really is surreal the way it makes you feel like you are actually in the cockpit. Using a Hotas and looking down and seeing the character's hands move exactly like your own is crazy. I definitively had a moment or two when I moved my hand off the throttle and wondered why the character's hand was still on it.

Coming out of hyperdrive in front of a star, and the way the light fills up the cockpit feels so real. Being able to move my head makes tracking ships during combat a lot easier. Looking to the right or left to bring up the ship menus really awesome as well. I can't imagine playing this any other way now.

Ya, i feel the same way. After reading all the impressions, got lucky and got a DK2 on craigslist in Canada (i live in Vancouver) for 350$. Bought Elite, bought a HOTAS.. HOLY FUCKING SHIT NEXT-GEN IS HERE

Nymerio

Has anyone tried missiles on an eagle? How expensive are they to refill? I'm thinking of either switching my gimbaled auto cannons to missiles or do a two beam one missile loadout. Worth it?

Argh so annoyed. Had my Thrustmaster HOTAS x on order with first class delivery. Got an email yesterday saying it won't be with me until January! Cancelled the order and I'll just have to have it on my birthday on the 9th of Jan instead :( Was hoping to have a fair few long sessions with the joystick whilst I'm off work!

Oh well!

owlbeak

X52 Pro joysticks are going up in price rapidly. Was going to get one the day after Christmas. They were around $140-150 on Newegg and Amazon and now are at $190. :[

Haly

For missions that ask you to acquire some items from a different system, does the station which gives you this mission make a special exception for the goods being, typically, "stolen"? Or do you have to smuggle them in?

That is to say, is the crime of stealing cargo local to the system where the theft took place or universal?

For missions that ask you to acquire some items from a different system, does the station which gives you this mission make a special exception for the goods being, typically, "stolen"? Or do you have to smuggle them in?

That is to say, is the crime of stealing cargo local to the system where the theft took place or universal?

Universal. Or rather, galaxy wide.

Sinatar

You gotta smuggle them.

Faith

So just started, and I am wondering is it better to be saving up for a new ship or upgrading my current ship?
You can sell your upgrades or the whole ship when you buy a new ship. Resell costs are 10%, so you keep 90% of the money you invested in the ship.

Sinatar

Watch closely, he isn't walking anywhere, it's just the camera in DK2 will move where you move your head. The pilot never leaves the seat.

It is something planned for the future tho, isn't it?

Oh and quick questions, does the credit reward for black box/rebel transmissions etc missions go down in quieter parts of space? I left the ho hsi/changthini area today and went exploring hoping to find some new planets and stuff, cant remember where I ended up, but I remember being bitterly disappointed by the credits on offer for average jobs at the station I wound up at

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom