• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did fuel prices suddenly go up while I was away? I went out in my Cobra for the first time today and got some sticker shock after just one little jump. Do the bigger ships use exponentially more fuel now? Wasn't like that the last time I flew a Cobra in Beta, but that was a while ago.

Starting with the Cobra you will begin to see the hit fuel can take. Maybe get a nice fuel scoop that can scoop a large amount (preferably 50+ fuel per second, you get ones that go past 100 fuel per second, etc), so that is free fuel. Depending on the volume it can scoop, it's really quick.

Can't imagine what the Anaconda's fuel must be like. I've only flown it in Beta 1 when it was cheap (6 million at the time), but considering the price for it now one better have enough money for fuel any ways for that. :p

Qasiel

I'm finally feeling like I'm getting to grips with this game now, after a nice session with it this evening. Managed to scrape together 40k through trading/odd jobs so I think tonight will see me buy my first ship.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Bah, all the pending states in Ho Hsi just reset after the brief server outage and nothing changed with the numbers.

Raxious

Finally made 100k credits yesterday with bounties, I'm loving the combat :D

Now help me out guys, I'm considering getting a HOTAS. But on one hand, I'd rather not spent a lot of money, on the other hand I'd rather buy something that feels great and works fine.

I'm tempted to get the T-flight HOTAS X by Thrustmaster, anyone got experience with it? I'm also considering the X55 ( X52 is hard to get here ), but is the price difference really worth it? Keep in mind I'm controlling most of the ship with Voice Attack.

Hellers

Now help me out guys, I'm considering getting a HOTAS. But on one hand, I'd rather not spent a lot of money, on the other hand I'd rather buy something that feels great and works fine.

I'm tempted to get the T-flight HOTAS X by Thrustmaster, anyone got experience with it? I'm also considering the X55 ( X52 is hard to get here ), but is the price difference really worth it? Keep in mind I'm controlling most of the ship with Voice Attack.

I have a HOTAS X. It's utterly amazing. The thottle in particular feels just so damn good to hold. For the price it's a no brainer.

@Allnamestakenlol The original gave you 100 credits, a ship and told you to fuck off and get on with it :)

JambiBum

I use the T Flight and it's been great. I use VA with it and have no issues controlling anything. I like the stick a lot but the throttle doesn't have enough feedback for my liking. Works great, just wish it had a little more oomph if that makes sense.

On the subject of joysticks overclockers.co.uk have stock in of the x55 at £149. This week only offer. Thought uk gaffers might be interested.

Lime

Just fired up the training demo last night with my x52 pro. It's so good

imagenjseb.jpg

Anyone managed to defeat the cobra in the final training mission??

Danj

I have a HOTAS X. It's utterly amazing. The thottle in particular feels just so damn good to hold. For the price it's a no brainer.

I just got one of these for Christmas. It's larger than I was expecting, I'll basically have to temporarily move my keyboard and mouse out the way to fit it on the desk. If I have one of these, I shouldn't need keyboard and mouse though, right? Unless I want to chat to other players or something?

moggio

Banned
I just got one of these for Christmas. It's larger than I was expecting, I'll basically have to temporarily move my keyboard and mouse out the way to fit it on the desk. If I have one of these, I shouldn't need keyboard and mouse though, right? Unless I want to chat to other players or something?

The biggest criticism of it is that it looks super cheesy. For the price though I'm not complaining too much.

Also you may find that there are a few too little buttons on it to do everything you want (although you can use a button as a modifier). It's good to have your keyboard handy somewhere for the odd function that isn't mapped to the stick or you could use voice commands with something like Voice Attack and feel like a right Jean Luc Picard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nq4prXqRt4

Just fired up the training demo last night with my x52 pro. It's so good

imagenjseb.jpg

Anyone managed to defeat the cobra in the final training mission??

It doesn't end with the cobra, oh nono, there's alot more after that, including an anaconda, yea... I've gotten to the anaconda but never managed to beat it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Got my Cobra and Sol permit yesterday, seems the permit is based on the rank you have with the Federation, not your reputation? I'm Neutral but a Midshipman.

Raticus79

I'm hunting around for potential "home base" systems within about 100 LY of Ho Hsi and Sol. So far I haven't found anything great, but it's pretty fun just looking around the galaxy map. MANBATZ is my favourite system name so far. It has a station called Balmer Gate, heh - just missing an L. There's an Anarchy system called VIRUS out there. That would be cool, but it's pretty barebones.

Ho Hsi's actually tough to beat.

Some criteria:
- System name is easy to type, ideally catchy
- Dominant faction is federation-aligned (aiming for Expansion event instead of Civil War)
- Primary station is close to nav, high population, wealthy
- Scoopable star
- Extraction point

Nearby facilities (either in system or a close neighbor)
- High tech shipyard + outfitters
- Outpost with black market
- Anarchy station
- most trade types covered with one jump with close stations

Skyzard

Banned
Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean "in each system"?

Every solar system.

That way you'll never be without if you try out a different ship and wander off. ( :p )

I'd love if we can access any of our ships from certain gateways for a fine, so we wouldn't ever be too far away from one of our ships.

So what's the agreed to best way of farming space bucks?

I'm having fun doing missions and throwing in stretches of time at resource extraction sites bounty hunting, but for right now it's pretty clear that extraction site hunting is the best way to make money. If there's a good supply of wanted Cobras coming in (LTT 7421 is good for this) I've pulled in $250k+ in under half an hour.

It seems rather unbalanced and a little silly, honestly, that an endless supply of ships with 10-20k bounties just throw themselves against a wall of system defense and me. It provides for a good time, I just wish there were more challenge to it.

Skyzard

Banned
So what's the agreed to best way of farming space bucks?

I'm having fun doing missions and throwing in stretches of time at resource extraction sites bounty hunting, but for right now it's pretty clear that extraction site hunting is the best way to make money. If there's a good supply of wanted Cobras coming in (LTT 7421 is good for this) I've pulled in $250k+ in under half an hour.

It seems rather unbalanced and a little silly, honestly, that an endless supply of ships with 10-20k bounties just throw themselves against a wall of system defense and me. It provides for a good time, I just wish there were more challenge to it.

I had that once....anacondas and cobras...now it's been all sidewinders...

Going to travel to a different location in a bit and see if I can run into anacondas and cobras again.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Got promoted to Petty Officer in the Federal Navy. Promotion mission was pretty cool, had to hunt down a General who was leaking info to the Empire and take down his Federal Dropship.

Raticus79

Bah, never mind about the Razer Sabertooth controller - the six extra buttons can only be mapped to other 360 controller buttons, they don't exist as separate inputs. It just shows up as a 360 controller. Silly.

So Arangorii, next to Beta Hydri, is the worst place in the galaxy. Arangorii A has nothing and B has everything, but B is 430,000LS from A.

I got up to 900c+, this is awful.

I'm at 100,000LS and still doing 700c.

"Docking Request Denied" is still a thing, huh? Most annoying glitch ever. Do I still have to fly out of range and keep requesting until I get docking permission?

Sylas

So goddamn frustrated with Frontier. They have my money. The payment I made is literally completed and the money is no longer in my bank account, but when I log into the launcher I keep getting the error message: "You do not have access to Elite: Dangerous." I've submitted two seperate tickets and haven't heard a peep from them.

I can put up with a lot of things going wrong, but payment issues are pretty much straight to angry for me.

Argh.

I'm hunting around for potential "home base" systems within about 100 LY of Ho Hsi and Sol. So far I haven't found anything great, but it's pretty fun just looking around the galaxy map. MANBATZ is my favourite system name so far. It has a station called Balmer Gate, heh - just missing an L. There's an Anarchy system called VIRUS out there. That would be cool, but it's pretty barebones.

Ho Hsi's actually tough to beat.

Some criteria:
- System name is easy to type, ideally catchy
- Dominant faction is federation-aligned (aiming for Expansion event instead of Civil War)
- Primary station is close to nav, high population, wealthy
- Scoopable star
- Extraction point

Nearby facilities (either in system or a close neighbor)
- High tech shipyard + outfitters
- Outpost with black market
- Anarchy station
- most trade types covered with one jump with close stations
Great breakdown really. I'm thinking of expanding out a bit. Curious tho, which station is the Anarchy one? That would be good to know for illegal goods.

Raticus79

Great breakdown really. I'm thinking of expanding out a bit. Curious tho, which station is the Anarchy one? That would be good to know for illegal goods.

Oh, VIRUS was way out there, I think in Empire space. I'm not getting there any time soon. For the Ho Hsi area, look for a system with the Dictatorship government type (using the map filter) connected to Balatu. It started with an N, will need to check later. Edit: it's Nornari. There's an anarchy outpost there.

Another one is LP 811-17 (Doyle Dock).

Basically need to check each system manually because the galaxy filter only reports on the dominant faction.

Starviper

I've been staying out of Ho Hsi just because Ho Hsi Corp is hostile towards me, so all the system authority ships hate me, which means I get interdicted all the time there. Just been hanging around in nearby systems doing some bounty hunting, it's basically impossible in Ho Hsi. Algreit is pretty sweet, they have this station called Smith Exchange which has most everything I need.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Accidentally hit a Ho Hsi authority vessel with one stray multi-cannon bullet, and incurred a ~400CR bounty. That's fine, right? It's just ~400CR.

Well on my way back to Hand Ring, I got interdicted by a player named Rusia or Rasia or whatever flying in an Eagle. I would've backed out and explained I had no desire to fight but fuck that! So I opened fire and shot him down after a lot of circling around each other (PVP is really different from PVE), taking only 50% hull. Boom, ~9000CR bounty. So now I have 10,000 on my head and I feel oddly proud of myself.

funkypie

Banned
As someone who is interested in buying a new Pc game but hasn't done that since Rome 2 at launch (lol what a mistake). Is this game like eve except you fly the ship and a lot more solo player, I know it is on a shared server but sounds like eve except with actual skill involved. Also how are the keyboard and mouse controls.

Can you get shit done with only a few hours every other day? My free time isn't what it used to be.

Oh, VIRUS was way out there, I think in Empire space. I'm not getting there any time soon. For the Ho Hsi area, look for a system with the Dictatorship government type (using the map filter) connected to Balatu. It started with an N, will need to check later. There's an anarchy outpost there.

Basically need to check each system manually because the galaxy filter only reports on the dominant faction.
Awesome I'll have to look into that more. Thanks

Just got the T-Flight. My first ever and I couldn't be happier. Its comfortable and for the price you can't beat it. Definitely worth it.

Yep, yesterday I took trip to this system with my Hauler. Didn't checked information on Galaxy Map before jump, and have nasty surprise on display when entered to system. Trip to Doyle Dock was very scary :) I jumped on chair every time when my radar displayed "New contact" :)

Jezbollah

Hi all. I was an early backer for Elite: Dangerous. Havent touched any of the pre-release versions - I have been working on a project away from my main PC for the past 6 months so havent been able to commit to playing it - until now.

Just bought myself a Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. (a Christmas present to myself), looking to get the voice attack software and will download the game tomorrow.

Very excited to play it having seen the various Twitch streams so far.

I'm very thankful this game exists, I never thought that we could see another Elite this day and age, given the sheer scope of what is required to give the title absolute justice.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom