• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klyka

Banned
Man wtf is up with Ho Hsi?

There have been ZERO % movements or anything in days. It's like the system is just frozen, nothing is changing anymore. Did we break it or something?

Man

"When is this releasing on Steam?"

Nobody knows. There are currently no announced plans that it will be coming to Steam.
Either they are secretly planning a drop in the near future (having reaped the full profit from early buyers, no royalty) or they like to see their western pc-sales drop and burn?

One-Shot

Banned
Is there an easier way to see what system I have to go to for my missions than going to the list of my missions, seeing the system, then having to go back into the galaxy map and type it in?

owlbeak

There have been ZERO % movements or anything in days. It's like the system is just frozen, nothing is changing anymore. Did we break it or something?
Noticed this as well. Not sure what was going on. Still been causing a lot of unrest and cutting down Ho Hsi ships but haven't noticed a change.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I am never taking hunter killer missions again.

After docking the game should never, ever, ever make the default menu selection "launch". Stupid stupid bug.

Starport Services is the default option at my end. Does this happen every time for you or is it a sporadic thing?

I've been doing a trading cycle in a 450LY loop starting at Altair so I've been neglecting Ho Hsi recently. I may just have to return home soon.

Lime

How do you travel between stars in one system? Do I target them via the System Map or what? They don't show up when in cockpit.

Also, any tips for the pirat hunting missions? Seems like I'm just roaming about until I stumble upon an auto-generated "signal detected" event.

Faith

After a couple of hours bounty hunting in an Anarchy system I got friendly with the Empire and neutral with the federation. Finally my rep. is fixed :p

"Also, any tips for the pirat hunting missions? Seems like I'm just roaming about until I stumble upon an auto-generated "signal detected" event."

You can either do that or hang around Nav Beacons or Resource Extraction Sites if they're available.

One-Shot

Banned
I spent a while reading/watching comparisons of the X52, X52 pro or X55 and I still can't make my mind up.
facepalm.gif
Been using the X52 for a week now and it's perfect. I don't really see what I would need from those others.

Went from a broke joke to making decent money with a Cobra kitted for 60t.

Repetitive but I also play racing sims so getting things down shaving seconds is pretty fun.

But overshooting stations is not fun.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

Yeah, they ran into the same thing at Lugh. I think we're at a point where something is supposed to happen, but it's unimplemented, so the process just dies at that point when trying to process faction changes and logs an error on their side (wild guess). I'd say file a bug report for it at this point so they have another data point - this issue was supposed to be fixed.

---

Has anyone tried out a Spacemouse Pro? Wondering if it would be sturdy enough for extended gaming use.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C9lIYmkYrXk

bj00rn_

Banned
I spent a while reading/watching comparisons of the X52, X52 pro or X55 and I still can't make my mind up.
facepalm.gif

Yeah.. I did a lot of research as well. I kinda searched for positive reviews for the X55, because that's the one I wanted.. But then I went for the X52 Pro instead, which appeared to be the safest choice, and no regrets here, great HOTAS. And the twist-yaw isn't as bad as I feared (I had a X45..).

Klyka

Banned
Yeah, they ran into the same thing at Lugh. I think we're at a point where something is supposed to happen, but it's unimplemented, so the process just dies at that point when trying to process faction changes and logs an error on their side (wild guess). I'd say file a bug report for it at this point so they have another data point - this issue was supposed to be fixed.

---

Has anyone tried out a Spacemouse Pro? Wondering if it would be sturdy enough for extended gaming use.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C9lIYmkYrXk

But with the Lugh thing the developers said that "They had triggered civil war three times but it didn't stick. So we found the problem and fixed it".

Skyzard

Banned
Happy with my decked out Cobra. Trying out the Viper now but still need to add better thrusters to it to see a major difference (I think - no clue what half of these upgrades actually do as the stats are missing/not shown anywhere) atm it's only a little bit more nimble but my cobra was decked out...except for some of the laser weapons, my viper has access to much better ones. Not sure if that's because I need to find them at certain tech stations/systems for my cobra...hopefully there are some available as it kinda skips a lot of the ratings for the ones I've seen...haven't come across some in between for a while now but I might be looking in the wrong places. If so it would be great if there was a way to store them as I think I'll need to mix it up sometimes.

99% of the time Starport Services is my default, but I have also had it default to Launch a few times as well.

I get that sometimes too. Also extraction sites not showing up in the nav list sometimes.

I do wish there would be a bit more consistency with the defensive measures:

* Shield cells - don't display on the side like chaff so you can't tell how many you have left easily, despite having a hotkey (so not needing them in a firegroup). I try and make sure to have it highlighted on the right-hand menu under modules as it mentions the count there.
* ECM - cannot be bound to a button, needs to be in a firegroup

Anyone know of a good reason for that? I don't like having so many firegroups as it takes longer to cycle through things, and more likely to make a mistake (that may trigger a bounty).

Kinda bummed at there only being 2 fire buttons too, makes matching weapons together much more limiting. And you have to rely on fire group switching so it's less flexible and efficient to fire off different weapons depending on the situation and how it changes.

Not sure what's going to happen when I press the shield cell button on my viper now that I have 2 different rated shield cell modules attached to it. [Edit - it uses both at the same time].

Auto-repair units aren't automatic I don't think, you need to set the box to the half-slash in the modules window in the right-hand menu for the thing you want to repair. Not necessarily a bad thing but the naming is confusing.

But with the Lugh thing the developers said that "They had triggered civil war three times but it didn't stick. So we found the problem and fixed it".

Lame.

Actually I noticed the same last night but I thought it was due to me road-trippin' it to Alliance space.

Frontier wise up to our game?

Not sure, been going quite a lot and still not running into them again. It was crazy good money though. Like, broken good :p

What I really want is the mini-freezing when enemies load to go though. Extraction sites have so many it ends up happening during combat.
780ti/4770K@4.4, no crazy settings.

Skyzard

Banned
^ really nice, love the blue too. Wish I could switch my thrustmaster throttle lights to blue to match the ship hud colours I'm using.

What's the tablet for? The companion app I heard about?
I should check it out. Apps tend to drain my mobile (note 2) battery super fast so I usually don't.

I play with my throttle and stick much closer together, keyboard up out in front. Just for comfort and control.

Nah I am using the iPad as a touch pad for my mouse and keyboard (mobile mouse is the app).

Just a bit more handy in that spot.

Ah, nice okay.

One-Shot

Banned
^ really nice, love the blue too. Wish I could switch my thrustmaster throttle lights to blue to match the ship hud colours.

What's the tablet for? The companion app I heard about?

Should check it out.

Nah I am using the iPad as a touch pad for my mouse and keyboard (mobile mouse is the app).

Just a bit more handy in that spot.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Sure, I pulled it from a thread on an ED forum. Takes some getting use to, but once you do it works pretty well. Only thing I changed was removing the Jettison All Cargo bind. Installation instructions are in the post (copy file to appropriate folder). I suggest running through the tutorial missions with it when you first get it going.

Thurstmaster T.Flight HOTAS binds w/ Printable Diagram.

Also has 360 gamepad binds and KB/Mouse binds w/ diagram.

You are a champ, thanks so much! Now I just need to use some engineering intuition and figure out how to have my sticks set out on the desk. At the moment my desk is far too high, thus putting them quite high as well, but I may just grab some board and attach it to my desk. So many decisions.

Lime

I feel like Im not making money at all. 12 hours of playing and I've barely scrapped 40k together, which was mostly from random wanted guys. The problem is lack of fuel for me and being unable to track pirates. I don't quite understand the trading part to earn enough money either. :(

JambiBum

I feel like Im not making money at all. 12 hours of playing and I've barely scrapped 40k together, which was mostly from random wanted guys. The problem is lack of fuel for me and being unable to track pirates. I don't quite understand the trading part to earn enough money either. :(

Buy from a place that has a high supply of something and sell to a place that has a high demand. Trading is honestly pretty straight forward.

Buy from a place that has a high supply of something and sell to a place that has a high demand. Trading is honestly pretty straight forward.

It's probably worth elaborating on this some, because while the principle here is dead simple (buy low, sell high), actually executing it is more difficult in Elite than maybe it should be.

First: if you don't mind using automated tools and don't think of it as cheating (some people do, some people don't; it's your playthrough, do what feels right), you can use things like Slopey's BPC Tool or the Elite Trading Tool. Slopey's is the most automated in that it runs alongside the game and can actually figure out what system you're in and tell you what are good trading runs near you, based on crowdsourced data. The Elite Trading Tool is similar, only you have to tell it what your location is.

But let's say you have no interest in using these tools. Slopey's in particular is actually kind of slow on startup, and besides, even if you have no ethical qualms with using these tools, you might still want to know how to figure this stuff out using only in-universe tools.

To figure out what a good trading run should be, you'll need to know two things: what commodities locally are in oversupply, and what systems and stations are willing to buy said commodities. So first, dock at a station if you haven't already. Make sure the station has a commodities market! Many smaller outposts don't have a market, which means you can't trade openly there. (You might be able to do black market stuff there but that's strictly advanced material that we'll skip.) You can find out if a station has a commodities market or not by opening the System Map and clicking on the station in question; you'll see a list of services in the left pane. While you're at it, note the list of imports and exports. That'll give you a decent idea of what that station is selling and buying.

Once docked at the station, you can see all its market data. Pay close attention to the column marked "Supply" and look for any entries that say "Med" or "High." That means supply of those commodities is relatively high, which means they'll be selling at below market rates. BEFORE YOU BUY, THOUGH, make sure you can actually sell those commodities somewhere close! For that, you'll need the Galaxy Map and some trade data.

The Galaxy Map can show you the general flow of goods in the region, though unfortunately I find it rather lacking for reasons I'll explain later. To see trade routes in the Galaxy Map, switch to the View tab and click the View Trade Routes checkbox. You should hopefully see a bunch of coloured lines emanating from your current system, and perhaps lines from any other nearby systems you've visited in the past day.

Remember that list of commodities your station has a ton of? Turn off all the trade route lines by hitting the Clear button, then turn back on one of the commodities your station has a lot of. See where the lines go. Those systems are buying that commodity. Stock up at your current station and fly your ass over there!

One caveat: the map can't tell you what those systems are paying for that commodity, so even though the map is showing trades in the right direction, you might fly a bunch of goods over to that system only to discover they're actually paying less for that commodity than you originally bought them for. Such is the life of a lone space trader sometimes. Try somewhere else. From everything I know so far, there is no good way to know in advance the buy/sell prices in other systems besides keeping track yourself. This might even be an intentional move on Frontier's part, given that they've told the people behind the trading tools above not to scrape price data from the Elite client (which is why they all rely on crowdsourced data).

Another caveat you should watch out for if you're new: some goods are only legal at certain stations, and they are not marked as such. Tobacco is a good example: in some stations you'll see them listed under Legal Drugs. But they're actually illegal in what seems like 90% of all stations. Until you have a better handle of what's legal where, try to stay away from anything that sounds even remotely sketchy. This includes drugs, weapons, slaves and toxic waste. (I personally don't have a great handle on what's legal where, so if my list is too broad, apologies.)

There's much more to say about trading but this post is already way too long. Good luck!

JINYX

Neo Member
This game has a harsh way of humbling you. Had 250k in bounties to turn in and decided to take on a Python w/ a 65k bounty on him when I knew my power core was damaged, I was at 80% hull, and my canopy was cracked to shit.

Was doing alright against him had him down to 65% hull when he pop my shields and quickly popped my power core. He did some damage, got me down to about 55% when I had no power I got it back up and running and started recharging shields. Luckily he had moved away focusing on another bounty hunter who was going after him. Then I made the stupid mistake of going in for a pass at him when my shields were still recharging. He promptly took out my power core again and destroyed me in quick succession.

Sigh, 250k in bounties gone, 81k rebuy, and serious damage to my pride. Note to self, don't act dumb.

Making about 130k Cr on a complete run which takes about 10 mins. I'm in the Type 6 pretty close to maxed out. Should I upgrade to the ASP or just wait till I have more money and go to the Type 7 Lakon?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Making about 130k Cr on a complete run which takes about 10 mins. I'm in the Type 6 pretty close to maxed out. Should I upgrade to the ASP or just wait till I have more money and go to the Type 7 Lakon?

If you're just planning on trading then stick with the type 6.

HowZatOZ

Banned
How do I actually track pirates? I have a contract to kill two pirates for $8kCR, however when I got to the solar system some random bloke was like "hey, go kill federation instead and I'll give you $12k." I said fuck that and proceeded to kill him, but I got a bounty on my head for doing it. Wasn't he a pirate?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Great breakdown really. I'm thinking of expanding out a bit. Curious tho, which station is the Anarchy one? That would be good to know for illegal goods.

Following up on my previous post about looking for a "home base", it turns out I didn't have to look far - Aeternitas is a great fit, one hop from Ho Hsi.

It's a similar situation to Ho Hsi with an opportunity for revolution, just with a much more prosperous and convenient station for the underdog faction.

Underdog faction: Aeternitas Fortune Ltd (30%), Federation/Corporate
- Holds Houtman City, a full service wealthy/very large Industrial station right next to the beacon (15 LS)
Dominant faction: Union of Aeternitas Liberals (52%), Independent/Democracy
- Holds two wealthy/huge Agriculture stations also right next to the beacon (~30 LS) and one more wealthy/very large Industrial station much further out (1900 ls).

The name is fine - "Aeternitas" fits the federation. Reminds me of Warhammer 40k.
The star is scoopable (F5).
It has a great shipyard.
There are black markets at Filter Station and Binder Dock, although they're stations instead of outposts so you get scanned. Probably better to stick with Mantxe unless you don't mind smuggling past the scan.

It's one of the highest population systems, about the same population as Sol. In-system trade is moderately profitable, but quick and should be relatively reliable due to the high populations. There's a lot of opportunity to make money bringing metals and superconductors (~1000 profit/ton) to Houtman City.

The thing that makes this interesting is the faction should be pretty powerful after unifying the system due to having such a massive economy behind it. I expect that would help expansion events long-term. If the conflict events take economic power into account, this faction would be a beast.

Nymerio

Federation Security Forces are such bros. Was bounty hunting in a resource extraction site and when I attacked a pirate all the ships just gathering resources turned hostile. They didn't attack me though so I just went about my business. When no more pirates where around security just started to bully around the miners. They'd roll up with three ships and start scanning them, while floating around them in near proximity with occasionally bumping into them. After a couple of minutes they started killing everything that was hostile towards me without me ever getting attacked by any ship. Only got 200cr bounties though.

Danj

The biggest criticism of it is that it looks super cheesy. For the price though I'm not complaining too much.

Also you may find that there are a few too little buttons on it to do everything you want (although you can use a button as a modifier). It's good to have your keyboard handy somewhere for the odd function that isn't mapped to the stick or you could use voice commands with something like Voice Attack and feel like a right Jean Luc Picard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nq4prXqRt4

Are there like, downloadable binding sets for this or something like that? I tried the built in one but it's weird. Why is rotating the ship not bound to rotating the joystick? Is that like a normal thing or something? I haven't tried to use a joystick for like over a decade so maybe it is?

But anyway, at least it does indeed handle a shitload better with a joystick than it did with keyboard and mouse. Though you're right, there still doesn't seem to be enough buttons, I don't seem to have a button for landing gear for example.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Like the guy says, thats a landing pad like in stations, so there is future options to interface with that thing, maybe get some secret missions for the empire or supply them with weapons and materials during a conflict.
I wonder if a fully kitted out anaconda could take it out. All its subsystems are targetable, and you can see its interception cannons take some damage when he gets up close.

I have a new goal, I will take one of them down one day, single handed.

I could see it being a "raid" boss of sorts. But holy shit that ship design is god like.

Sevenfold

Are there like, downloadable binding sets for this or something like that? I tried the built in one but it's weird. Why is rotating the ship not bound to rotating the joystick? Is that like a normal thing or something? I haven't tried to use a joystick for like over a decade so maybe it is?

But anyway, at least it does indeed handle a shitload better with a joystick than it did with keyboard and mouse. Though you're right, there still doesn't seem to be enough buttons, I don't seem to have a button for landing gear for example.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16140

have a look ^. I downloaded one of teh updated ones later in the thread and it's been great. Like the poster above stated, it has a shift modifier but once you get used to it (practice docking!) it's very hard to go back. The one I used also has a couple of blanks so you can add more bindings to the throttle if needs be.

Klyka

Banned
Managed to get to Ho Hsi. It shows there's a civil war, what does that mean for me?

woah woah woah. hold up there.

Does it just say "civil war critical" under the faction status? or does it ACTUALLY say on the system map "state: civil war"???

Faith

Damn, I have several questions and can't find any good answers online. After upgrading half of my Viper modules to A I'm a little confused about some of the other modules. Maybe you guys can help me out?

1) Bulkheads. As a bounty hunter, should I stick with the Lightweight alloys or upgrade to a Mirrored Surface Composite? Most of the damage I take is from lasers. But I'm not sure if the difference is that big? It's 9T heavier, would make my Viper 10% heavier and less manoeuvrable.

2) Sensors. I have C sensors (2T) equipped with 5km range. A sensors (5T) have 6km range but are heavier and consume more power. Is it worth it for an additional km in range?

3) Fuel scoop. I have D class 3 equipped with 100/s efficiency. How do I know if a more expensive fuel scoop would be better? Does the rating or the class effect the efficiency? Or even both? Do I have to try it out?

4) Shield cell bank. I have 2 A class 1 shield cell banks installed, there are also class 2 shield cell banks but with higher weight (2.5T instead of 1.3T each). Are they really better?

5) Shield generator. I got a cheap one with C rating with higher optimal/max hull mass than the most expensive ones. I don't get what's better, how should I interpret the stats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom