• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatboyTim

GALNET NEWS

Sanna in Bid to Leave Federation

The Congressman for Sanna, Marcus Albertson has given a speech to his own parliament in Sanna.

“Federal taxes are holding back our progress. We say we have democracy but what can we change? Our coffers are sucked dry by the Federation, as they lord it over us – what do we get in return? We get one vote in Congress. One vote! We are powerless. I suggest we get no votes in Congress and keep our money and our freedom! I suggest we leave the Federation immediately!”

His speech was met by cheers, not just from his own party, but from the opposition too.
There are at least four factions present in the Sanna system, with three controlling stations:

Sanna Free, a Federation allied democracy (47.4%) @ Skyline High
Sanna Galactic plc, a Federation allied Corporate organisation. (24.4%) @ Godfrey's Halt, Lamark Dock
Sanna Blue Society, and independent anarchy (14.9%) @ Brahe Terminal
Sanna Partners (?%)

Which faction is the one that will push the system into a War of Independence, if backed by enough players?

I assume that the Blue Society are mostly a collection of pirates. (Their station includes a black market but no piratical markings...)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Honestly I don't think it's even a risk. I've never had an issue with other players at all and I've been playing in Open Play constantly doing trading. It's possible I'm just lucky, and I'm sure griefers exist, but it for the most part seems like this community is actually fairly great currently.

I've had two commanders who destroyed me for no good reason. I didn't have a bounty and they never asked for cargo or anything, they simply ran at me with guns blazing and destroyed me for the "fun" of it. Still, I play open mode most of the time. I only went into solo mode after I bought my Asp and didn't have enough credits to both fill my hold and cover my insurance, so I solo'd it until I had some credits in the bank.

95% of the time however, I've not had any problems at all playing in open mode. Soon I'll be heading for deep space and I'll be overjoyed if I ever run into another human commander, lol.

Xanezz

Banned
I've been wondering, has there ever been a video game with a larger explorable "world" than Elite: Dangerous?

If you count every inch of technically explorable empty space, probably not.

To my knowledge, after a while you will just leave civilized space behind and will keep getting iterations of systems called "LTT-#####-##" and such, empty systems without stations and possibly NPC's. I suppose that still qualifies as "explorable" though.

I'm more curious if those timers are actually accurate and you can fly towards a target for days in standard flight mode and still get there, or if grids are actually limited after a certain distance. As far as I can tell Supercruise throws you into a different 'instance' if you will and leaving it loads an instance of whatever planet/beacon/station you aligned to/have proximity to while dropping out to as well. Also curious if you can travel to other systems in supercruise.

Skyzard

Banned

To my knowledge, after a while you will just leave civilized space behind and will keep getting iterations of systems called "LTT-#####-##" and such, empty systems without stations and possibly NPC's. I suppose that still qualifies as "explorable" though.

I'm more curious if those timers are actually accurate and you can fly towards a target for days in standard flight mode and still get there, or if grids are actually limited after a certain distance. As far as I can tell Supercruise throws you into a different 'instance' if you will and leaving it loads an instance of whatever planet/beacon/station you aligned to/have proximity to while dropping out to as well. Also curious if you can travel to other systems in supercruise.

I've heard from others that it will...I try to get really close without emergency landing and it seems to load different details the closer you get anyway. I believe you would get there...slowly.

One gripe I have with this game is, while the size of the 'world' is incredibly impressive, it seems almost pointless too have just so many worlds that are potentially empty. Perhaps they have major plans, but it would have been really great to see what they did with a more limited universe, and focused on the inhabitants and structures that made it up.

But we'll see how it all pans out at some point. Maybe ten years or so down the line some gaming website will say "players finally visit all xxx billions of systems in Elite:Dangerous"

Who's got a good trade route? I have one from Hyroks-->Rugai with non-lethal weapons for 40k Cr and Rugai-->Hyroks with superconductors for 140k Cr. so 180k Cr every ten minutes or so. Anyone have a better round trip they mind sharding?

GeoGonzo

So I decided to stop trading for a while, got a Vyper and pretty much maxed everything. Holy shit, what a monster this ship is: Four fixed pulse lasers work wonderfully well and they're ridiculously easy to aim with.... I'm not missing my Cobra's gimballed weapons even one bit. And those great engine sounds!

One gripe I have with this game is, while the size of the 'world' is incredibly impressive, it seems almost pointless too have just so many worlds that are potentially empty. Perhaps they have major plans, but it would have been really great to see what they did with a more limited universe, and focused on the inhabitants and structures that made it up.

But we'll see how it all pans out at some point. Maybe ten years or so down the line some gaming website will say "players finally visit all xxx billions of systems in Elite:Dangerous"

Hah, no they wont.

Lets say that the game sells 500.000 copies (Reasonable? I honestly have no idea). Lets assume that every player plays 8 hours a day (because who wouldn't!), and EVERY player discovers a system never visited before every 30 minutes. That's 16 completely pristine systems discovered, per player per day.

How long would it take for them to explore every system?

137 years

So I decided to stop trading for a while, got a Vyper and pretty much maxed everything. Holy shit, what a monster this ship is: Four fixed pulse lasers work wonderfully well and they're ridiculously easy to aim with.... I'm not missing my Cobra's gimballed weapons even one bit. And those great engine sounds!

Hah, no they wont.

Lets say that the game sells 500.000 copies (Reasonable? I honestly have no idea). Lets assume that every player plays 8 hours a day (because who wouldn't!), and EVERY player discovers a system never visited before every 30 minutes. That's 16 completely pristine systems discovered, per player per day.

137 years

HAHA math is cool.

Hah, no they wont.

137 years

HAHA math is cool.

tumblr_mna167yAJV1sqxgpro1_500.gif

Me, when I do math.

Yeah I got fed up with trading after a while and hopped back into a Viper to harass the locals in Ho Hsi. Everything maxed out it's seriously a hell of a ship. I'm playing with two fixed beams and two gimbaled cannons and it's a blast.

Still, I have just enough for an Asp + insurance right now but I don't want to make the switch until I can also afford a few goodies.

Anyone like me and spent most of the last 2 weeks trading want to grab some vipers and go fighting in Ho Hsi? I've never really done too much dogfighting and I'd love to have some back up. Add me on Steam as it might be easier to communicate.

Steam ID: Krappadizzle

Skyzard

Banned
Is it definitely a fed station? You often get independent stations in a fed system.

Yeah I was reading it wrong...I assumed the allegiance when you dock was for the dock...had to check the system map for the correct one. My bad.

Like it says the name of the dock in the top left at the services menu, then just below it is the allegiance of the system, not the dock.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Hey, I just noticed Jet Federal in Kokojina (Ali Ring) is in the "expansion" state. It's only at 77% influence - I thought that could only happen at 100. Interesting.

Edit: ah, it's when the home planet is at 100% - I wonder if Jet Federal's home planet is somewhere else.

JINYX

Neo Member
Also curious if you can travel to other systems in supercruise.

Yes you can but when you get there, there won't be anything there. The games loads the new system while you are in hypercruise.

Who's got a good trade route? I have one from Hyroks-->Rugai with non-lethal weapons for 40k Cr and Rugai-->Hyroks with superconductors for 140k Cr. so 180k Cr every ten minutes or so. Anyone have a better round trip they mind sharding?

I'm running one right now getting 950cr/t both ways.

Buy auto fabs in Ali Ring (Kokojina)
Sell them to Doyle Dock (LP 811-17)

Buy slaves in Doyle Dock bring them back to Ali Ring.

I saw a guy that definitely had my name in Ho Hsi. Mine is K. Dizzle his was K-Dizzle. I tried to take out that Cyclon, buy he jumped before I could.

Yes you can but when you get there, there won't be anything there. The games loads the new system while you are in hypercruise.

I'm running one right now getting 950cr/t both ways.

Buy auto fabs in Ali Ring (Kokojina)
Sell them to Doyle Dock (LP 811-17)

Buy slaves in Doyle Dock bring them back to Ali Ring.

I did the Auto-fab portion of this trip and yup 950Cr/t. 117k Cr per haul in my ASP. Do I need to worry about returning the slaves to Doyle Dock?(i/e run in cold/sneaky)

JINYX

Neo Member
I did the Auto-fab portion of this trip and yup 950Cr/t. 117k Cr per haul in my ASP. Do I need to worry about returning the slaves to Doyle Dock?(i/e run in cold/sneaky)

Nope, Ali Ring purchases the slaves in the market, so it's safe. Only thing you have to worry about is having 1.1m CR in cargo on you.

Effect

So is the game worth buying now at $60 or should one wait until more (and what could that be?) is added to the game? Kicking myself for not doing the pre-order for $50. Thanks.

GeoGonzo

Yesterday I forgot to request docking permission and boosted inside a station. It did not end well :(
Ouch! i did that too but it was with a Cobra and I managed to turn around and boost out just in time. I thought it was funny how you get a warning to leave or be destroyed but if you then in panic ask for docking permission while inside the station she pretty much goes "Nope, denied. Get OUT if you want to talk about permissions. 20 seconds btw.". *more panic*

Nymerio

lol yeah, the funny thing was, I was playing with a friend who was wanted at the station and I told him he had to boost inside before they scan him (don't even know if that's true, but I wanted to see im try). So I go that station as well and see him going for the entrance and decide I'd go for it as well. We boosted through the gate right next to each other and the moment I went through I knew I made a huge mistake. Engines were still recharging and in the panic I missed the exit and had to realign but by then it was too late. Also, he told me like 5 minutes before that he got fined for not requesting docking permission and I laughed at him then :D

I am dumb, how do you use the thrusters for landing with a warthog? Has it mapped to the same commands as menu navigation and I don't see a button to switch between them in the bindings.

bj00rn_

Banned
So is the game worth buying now at $60 or should one wait until more (and what could that be?) is added to the game? Kicking myself for not doing the pre-order for $50. Thanks.

We'd all like to help you answer that question, but unfortunately nobody can possibly accurately quantify what it's worth to you.

It is however like you hinted; a continuously upgraded game which already has a fantastic framework. It's a good solid game now (for me personally it's a fantastic game, but then again keep in mind that I'm a subjective and biased old Elite fan with a HOTAS and a Oculus VR HMD..), and there's a lot coming next year. The expansions will come at a price though, so it will not be affected by whether you buy it now or later (or perhaps discounted for existing owners, or reduced pack price, don't know)

The expansions include significant new features such as seamless freeform (manual pitch/yaw/roll) atmospheric flight and landings and on-foot and out-of-ship activities (such as FPS combat, walking around and boarding ships, walking in stations and walking and driving vehicles on entire 1:1 scale populated living planets), multi-player crew and player executive controlled capital ships.

Frontier intends to release small, free updates after launch. Expansions that include significant new features and content will have to be purchased.

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Features_in_the_expansions

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Alright, I had to put this down when my inlaws were in town for the holidays. How do I scan ships? How do I find a station with missions I can actually do? I'm having a blast just messing around, but I'm almost out of gas and money.

Is there any way of gauging the danger of a bounty? One in the port I'm in worth 150,000 credits so I assume it's something powerful but there aren't any real details that I can see.

It is very bare bones. What it is here is fantastic, but it is lacking really any 'life' to it. This will come with time of course (hopefully) but you are a small spec in the vast area that is our Galaxy, you'll see NPCs more than you see other players. But there are a few 'hubs' of action and you just have to follow the GalNet news, a lot of people post also on Reddit and the FD forums as well as here (Ho Hsi) and have gotten groups to go to areas. What you see in the videos is what you get, there isn't another aspect of the game that is 'hidden'. You dock, you fly, you mine, you explore, you fight, you trade.

That said, I love it. I haven't played any of the missions except like one or two and I got hooked in the trading game. Have fought one other player once and attacked a few NPCs before going back to the trading game.

It's kind of whatever type of game you want to make it. Some people have packed their bags and left for the edge of the Galaxy, they'll probably never run into another human player. But there is no narrative. There is no "You choose to be a Pirate" menu selection. It's a lot of flying, a lot of text, a lot of notes, and a whole lotta awesome.

Yesterday I forgot to request docking permission and boosted inside a station. It did not end well :(

Ouch! i did that too but it was with a Cobra and I managed to turn around and boost out just in time. I thought it was funny how you get a warning to leave or be destroyed but if you then in panic ask for docking permission while inside the station she pretty much goes "Nope, denied. Get OUT if you want to talk about permissions. 20 seconds btw.". *more panic*

ESC -> Quit to Main Menu, resets you outside. I've done this a few times and in a Type 6 "getting out quickly" isn't really a possibility! Another poster also mentioned as soon as you hit "launch" you can do this and shave some time off leaving.

I imagine this will get fixed at one point.

GeoGonzo

ESC -> Quit to Main Menu, resets you outside. I've done this a few times and in a Type 6 "getting out quickly" isn't really a possibility! Another poster also mentioned as soon as you hit "launch" you can do this and shave some time off leaving.

I imagine this will get fixed at one point.

Huh, that's a clever solution.

Anyone like me and spent most of the last 2 weeks trading want to grab some vipers and go fighting in Ho Hsi? I've never really done too much dogfighting and I'd love to have some back up. Add me on Steam as it might be easier to communicate.

Steam ID: Krappadizzle

Ooh, that's not a bad idea either! I'm going to add my steam ID (geogonzo) in a new column at the...

Danj

So I got one of those progression missions, to source some Personal Weapons, but damned if I can find anywhere that sells them. I tried the website linked here a few pages back but it doesn't give me any results. How do I find out where to get Personal Weapons? I tried using the trade route option on the galaxy map but it doesn't show anywhere. I need to get some to Ross 145 in the next 56 minutes.

So I got one of those progression missions, to source some Personal Weapons, but damned if I can find anywhere that sells them. I tried the website linked here a few pages back but it doesn't give me any results. How do I find out where to get Personal Weapons? I tried using the trade route option on the galaxy map but it doesn't show anywhere. I need to get some to Ross 145 in the next 56 minutes.

According to Slopey's, Ross708 (Smith Station) has them, is about 8 LY away from Ross 145

EDIT: Ignore this, Slopey's is glitching and showing the wrong commodities.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

The item listing in the Commodities Market will list "Imported from: ####, #### systems" in the information section of the commodity. Usually a good indication of where to look, be aware that sometimes the stock at those exporting locations dries up temporarily though so they're not always available.

Danj

According to Slopey's, Ross708 (Smith Station) has them, is about 8 LY away from Ross 145

Nope, Personal Weapons are actually prohibited there apparently. Anyone got any other suggestions?

The item listing in the Commodities Market will list "Imported from: ####, #### systems" in the information section of the commodity. Usually a good indication of where to look, be aware that sometimes the stock at those exporting locations dries up temporarily though so they're not always available.

Most places don't even have Personal Weapons in the list, so this won't work.

naeS

Nope, Personal Weapons are actually prohibited there apparently. Anyone got any other suggestions?

Most places don't even have Personal Weapons in the list, so this won't work.

I think Ho Hsi had Personal Weapons when I was there, not sure where in relation to Ross 145 it is. But don't hold me to it.

Saganator

I'm trying to outfit my Cobra and I'm having a hard time finding a new FSD, a Class 4-D. I posted in here earlier looking for help, someone suggested a high tech system. I was already in a high tech system (Ho Hsi) and those stations had FSD's, just not the one I need (only had A and B rating for class 4). I flew to another high tech system about 40ly away and that system didn't have what I'm looking for. I went to Reddit where I find out a system called G 180-18 should have what I'm looking for, it's just pretty far away and I'd like to stay close to Ho Hsi, does anyone know of a system near Ho Hsi where I can outfit my Cobra?

The way they have parts scattered across the universe is pretty annoying and unnecessary, especially since you have to dock to check what they have. I hope someday they implement a way for people to check what a station is selling/buying with out having to dock.

Danj

I think Ho Hsi had Personal Weapons when I was there, not sure where in relation to Ross 145 it is. But don't hold me to it.

Ho Hsi is too far away, I've been trying to get there as I noticed most gaffers seem to be around that area, but it's still way way away yet.

I guess I'll just have to abandon this mission :(

naeS

The way they have parts scattered across the universe is pretty annoying and unnecessary, especially since you have to dock to check what they have. I hope someday they implement a way for people to check what a station is selling/buying with out having to dock.

This would be cool. Or if in the future we can have our own Capital ships and hire a requistions officer or something and he can place an order and it can be at the next place you dock.

Ho Hsi is too far away, I've been trying to get there as I noticed most gaffers seem to be around that area, but it's still way way away yet.

I guess I'll just have to abandon this mission :(

Don't worry about it, I have had missions for the Pilot's Federation show up multiple times. You'll get another shot.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
OK GAF, I know nothing about this game except that I used to like elite when I was a lad. I have no knowledge of any of the mechanics, systems, game modes, how /what you do when you play it or anything. I am also going to buy this and go in completely blind cause fuck it why not. Should I get a HOTAS as well? I guess so I am already going to buy a wheel for Drivecult fuck my money lets get in there.

Yes, get a HOTAS. It's worth it. People who say you can play fine with a controller or KB/M are correct, you probably could ... but a HOTAS makes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom