• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'm still 50+ light years away from Ho Hsi :( so difficult to get there

Get out of the starter Sidewinder and it really isn't. The Sidewinder has limited jump range due to it's FSD but otherwise it's super quick to get there (as long as you use Fastest Route rather than Economical).

Just upgrade the starter FSD one level and make sure you're not carrying any cargo and you should be able to get there from any of the starting points I think. Don't forget to refuel at stations along the way. I made the mistake of making one jump too many into an empty system and had to self-destruct and retry. Fortunately that starter ship is free.

It's probably a good way to make the trip in solo mode too since the system has become rather PVP heavy.

A friend jumped to Ho His yesterday, he was in the sidewinder. Halfway through the trip he ran out of fuel and had to self destruct. He made it the second time, when he docked at Hand Ring he asked me what the 'stored ships' tab is because there is an Eagle listed. He went afk for a couple of minutes after I explained it to him.

Does the routing take refuelling into account or could it potentially plot a course where you end up with not enough fuel?

It'll show all routes up to about 80 LY away if you give it a minute or two to chug through the pathfinding. Locations out of your fuel range will show with dotted lines. When planning ahead, make sure that last solid line has a station or refuel at the one before it.

I've had much better results with Slopeys tool lately for some reason. Though one thing that is bugging me is Haise Dock is listed under both Balatu and Ho Hsi systems. Not sure why it's there or if it can be removed.

Oh and I finally got an invite to get a permit for Sol. Excellent!

Nice! I'm stuck at the next step after that (after midshipman). The next progression missions are always "find and kill a target in this system" and I'm not sure those are working.

Shifty76

After trading for like, 12 hours, I'm really starting to get bored of it, haha. I finally have a Type 6, but only have 72 cargo (what's the max?) and still looking for a good route. Didn't help that I had to replenish my funds after purchasing. But I think once I get enough money I'm going to buy a Viper again and just store my Type 6 for a bit. Need to do some hunting!

Not really the same thing, but I see what you mean. Need more player-to-player potential interaction.

I have 108t space in mine and 19.5 ly jump distance fully laden.

Zero internals other than maxed cargo bays, class A FSD, class D everything else. Zero externals

Nymerio

Nice! I'm stuck at the next step after that (after midshipman). The next progression missions are always "find and kill a target in this system" and I'm not sure those are working.

If it's like the other assassination missions it can also happen that you find a USS where some npc tells you the target is in a completely different system.

I have 108t space in mine and 19.5 ly jump distance fully laden.

Zero internals other than maxed cargo bays, class A FSD, class D everything else. Zero externals

Hmm I should try this. I kept at least a Pulse Laser and Multi-Cannon just in case but I've yet to even enable them. I think I'll remove them.

The extra Cargo bay modules confuse me because I can only seem to get up to 72 right now. Do they appear and disappear for sale? Available in different stations? I'll have to look into it more later.

Hmm I should try this. I kept at least a Pulse Laser and Multi-Cannon just in case but I've yet to even enable them. I think I'll remove them.

The extra Cargo bay modules confuse me because I can only seem to get up to 72 right now. Do they appear and disappear for sale? Available in different stations? I'll have to look into it more later.

The default 16 slotters can be pushed to 32. Remember, the size of the cargo hold is equal to 2^(slot size). If you have a size 4 internal slot, it will hold 16 (2^4=16), a size 6 will hold 64 (2^6=64).

If you max out all the cargo holds a Type-6 can hold 100T, if you replace the shield generator (class 3) you can get another 8T.

Ta-da!

Cigol

Every single jump I make seems to take me to another red sun/star and my heat levels are critical... am I missing something because I don't see any stations in any of the systems either. This is the third time I've tried starting the game.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Every single jump I make seems to take me to another red sun/star and my heat levels are critical... am I missing something because I don't see any stations in any of the systems either. This is the third time I've tried starting the game.

I always throttle down to zero while jumping to a new system. That way when I exit hyperspace I don't fly straight into the star's corona. Gives me time to change my trajectory before throttling up and increasing speed.

There have been a few times when jumping to a new star that I've never been to before where it jumps too close and my ship has to emergency stop and drop me into normal space. Doesn't seem to happen when jumping there again however.

The default 16 slotters can be pushed to 32. Remember, the size of the cargo hold is equal to 2^(slot size). If you have a size 4 internal slot, it will hold 16 (2^4=16), a size 6 will hold 64 (2^6=64).

If you max out all the cargo holds a Type-6 can hold 100T, if you replace the shield generator (class 3) you can get another 8T.

Ta-da!

Ah that explains it. I didn't even look at the 16 slots.

When jumping to LTT 7421, a few jumps away from Ho Hsi, it always seems to drop me in too close. Unless you are absolutely on top of the maneuvers and start off pointing far enough off center you'll get dropped out of FSD. Kind of crazy, actually.

It's a white dwarf and I guess it's compensating.

Jedi2016

When jumping to LTT 7421, a few jumps away from Ho Hsi, it always seems to drop me in too close. Unless you are absolutely on top of the maneuvers and start off pointing far enough off center you'll get dropped out of FSD. Kind of crazy, actually.

It's a white dwarf and I guess it's compensating.
Yeah, you gotta be careful around white dwarfs. I tend to slam on the brakes when I see one, then orient myself away from it while I'm not moving (still in supercruise, but at minimum speed).

Kyoufu

Can anyone help me with the controls? I can't move forward like people do in videos. I have no idea how to steer in this game to be honest. None of it makes sense.

naeS

Well just lost 100k in bounties to some guy who pulled me out of supercruise.

It's what I get for not leaving the system.

Can anyone help me with the controls? I can't move forward like people do in videos. I have no idea how to steer in this game to be honest. None of it makes sense.

Uh... Make sure you have the controls set to the thing you're using, i.e. if you're using kb/m make sure you didn't flip it into controller mode or something.

Seriously I don't know what you're talking about.

Kyoufu

Uh... Make sure you have the controls set to the thing you're using, i.e. if you're using kb/m make sure you didn't flip it into controller mode or something.

Seriously I don't know what you're talking about.

Yeah, what I mean is the controller works but the default config is poor. I tried changing it to something that would make it less of a struggle to play the game but no luck. I don't think this game is for me.

What control scheme are you using?

At first I tried mouse/keyboard but that just made me frustrated then I tried the controller. Some tweaking here and there seemed to improve things but it still felt like I was playing a game not meant for me. I don't have a flight stick unfortunately.

naeS

Yeah, what I mean is the controller works but the default config is poor. I tried changing it to something that would make it less of a struggle to play the game but no luck. I don't think this game is for me.

I'm confused. I mean sometimes I end in up in a finger pretzel, but that's just me.

What about the controls is giving you trouble?

At first I tried mouse/keyboard but that just made me frustrated then I tried the controller. Some tweaking here and there seemed to improve things but it still felt like I was playing a game not meant for me. I don't have a flight stick unfortunately.

I can only give some advice for mouse/keyboard controls since that's what I'm using. The default settings were impossible for me so I generally set it up like this:
- Mouse Y: pitch
- Mouse X: yaw
- WSAD: forward/backward/left/right thrusters
- Space: thrust up
- Alt (or whatever you use for crouch in FPS games): thrust down

I can fly into a station at full speed with a Cobra and quickly maneuver to dock without any trouble, same with most dogfights. The most important thing to understand is that the ships use a rolling turn (airplane controls), as in the fastest and only valid way to turn around is to roll and pitch towards your goal. Yawing is there for some fine aiming but not much else.

Anyway, I haven't been playing for almost a week, been busy at work (no holidays for me) so I jumped in for a bit tonight, found that Ho Hsi is finally in turmoil, figured out the combat bonds thing and fought the good fight. A commander with a Python nearly killed me in 10 secs, managed to run away. The conflict zones don't seem very profitable (any ship destroyed gives me 3k credits, no matter the experience level or ship type). Does me fighting against Ho Hsi Corp. influence anything really, when I'm not on a mission to kill ships in warzones?

Sarcasm

If your having issue with kbm or controller try this pre-configured key bindings

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=71532

The kbm setup is perfect.

ED_Keyboard_Mouse_Crab_setup_v1_12.jpg

Watching the news here, I live in Taiwan, and they showed the oculus rift being used in Japan. One of the game was elite dangerous.

Took on a mission to kill four pirates across a few different systems. Killed 2 and the 3rd said something along the lines of "I bet the Federation paid you to do this, I'll pay you extra to kill 5 authority" but I wanted to stick to the main mission so I chose to take him out instead and got a 6000 credit bounty for murder :/

Effect

Select credit card and hit next.

I do but that is where the problem comes in. It goes right to the "order review" section with the next button being "place order". No location for me to put in my information ever appears. Am I suppose to put my information in after that or should it be showing up before I even get to this point?

Just ordered myself an X55, is it recommended to grab a powered USB hub as well to plug this thing into?

If you have USB 3.0 ports (at least 2) on your mobo you should be fine. If you plan to plug it into the front panel jacks or external ports I'd get a hub.

I've had no issues plugging them to the USB ports on the back of my X99 Deluxe board.

I do but that is where the problem comes in. It goes right to the "order review" section with the next button being "place order". No location for me to put in my information ever appears. Am I suppose to put my information in after that or should it be showing up before I even get to this point?

I remember being a little confused by the process, but just keep on clicking until it asks you for money. If it kicks you out without a purchase follow up with their customer support.

Saw an example of how Thrudd's tool is only as good as the information that's entered by the users. I think someone entered their total profit instead of profit per ton, which made it look like this one station was paying 10x what every other station was paying for the same commodity. Wasn't true, sadly (still turned a couple grand, though).

Happened to me in Slopeys too. Some returns came up with a profit in the 100K and I was like, WTF, I have to try this. Of course it was way off.

Raticus79

Oh man, the barrier for entry to be able to add new systems on Thrudd's site is huge. It would take someone like six months to find enough prices which needed updating in order to rack up enough points to be able to make entries for new stations. That takes 8000 points, which are earned at a rate of one point for confirming a price and 10 for updating one. I'm cheesing it by repeatedly making minor changes to back and forth on one of the price values. Once I hit Dangerous there I'll be able to start making entries there for the missing systems around Ho Hsi. 400 price changes to go...

No wonder they have so little data, sheesh.

It also doesn't have a way to import prices from EliteOCR. It's all manual entry. He said he might add an API for it soon though.

Skyzard

Banned
Just got wrecked by the Federation security as I was trying to enter a station to pay off my bounty. Fuck.

I'm always worried about this. I hear stories but still not happened to me. Maybe they never finished the scan...I've heard it can happen after you dock too!

Skyzard

Banned
HOTAS has taken over my desk. My huge mousepad is mostly a cushion for the stick and my keyboard sits at the side now. Been like this for a few weeks.

Shifty76

Took on a mission to kill four pirates across a few different systems. Killed 2 and the 3rd said something along the lines of "I bet the Federation paid you to do this, I'll pay you extra to kill 5 authority" but I wanted to stick to the main mission so I chose to take him out instead and got a 6000 credit bounty for murder :/
The guy who makes that offer is clean, so yes, you would get wanted status for killing him. I just ignore him and keep hunting.

Jedi2016

Had an interesting encounter while relaxing with some bounty hunting at an extraction site. I was doing the usual, mostly going after guys that were already under fire from the feds (easier to find that way, from the weapons fire). Anyway, the computer kept saying I was "under attack". I think I was flying through the Feds' crossfire and my computer was taking it as an attack against me. Then it suddenly flags all the Feds as red/hostile! Thankfully they weren't actually shooting at me, but it made it a hell of a lot harder to figure out who was who on my radar. But the guy I was shooting brought friends, so I had this huge mass of red on my radar, but only some of them were shooting at me and I couldn't tell who in the hell it was. Decided to bug out and live to fight another day. I didn't have a local bounty, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Feds shooting at me, but it got really confusing there for a bit.

On the whole, though, I did a few of those and took in about a quarter million. :) Those mid-level baddies in Cobras only go for about 20-30K, but they add up quick. Thankfully, my Cobra and both take and give more punishment than theirs.

Bought my Type-6, too. I had to save up a lot because I was buying it outright (my Cobra's in storage now). Got a bunch of the smaller upgrades done on it, still need some of the big cargo racks and a better FSD. I love the view, I should try this one in the Rift.

Skyzard

Banned
Does the wealth of the nearby station matter for the richness of the bounties that show up? Tall Dock at Qa'Wakana had one right next to it.

I haven't looked into anything like that yet, would be good to check out.

I'm hoping bounties increase with your combat rank and you get tougher opponents. I've reached expert and I'm seeing a lot of cobras which build up nicely.

Man. Couldn't find the Asp anywhere around where I was. Finally found it and they had barely any upgrades, still gotta save a buffer for the best FSD but most other things are close to all max. Have more than 2m in the bank + cargo so in a better spot than the first time I bought and had to trade.

But damn if all my routes just became terrible the last two hours before my Asp hunt. 2200/t runs down to 1500/t and such. Its why I bought the Asp to jump out of there!

Raticus79

All right, I did find that general after three USS's, thanks. Cruising at 30 km/s OP.

Man. Couldn't find the Asp anywhere around where I was. Finally found it and they had barely any upgrades, still gotta save a buffer for the best FSD but most other things are close to all max. Have more than 2m in the bank + cargo so in a better spot than the first time I bought and had to trade.

But damn if all my routes just became terrible the last two hours before my Asp hunt. 2200/t runs down to 1500/t and such. Its why I bought the Asp to jump out of there!

Kokojina / Ali Ring is great for upgrades and ships if you're anywhere close. I've been working on boosting Jet Federal there.

Oh, I added Ali Ring and a few other stations in Thrudd's site.

Danj

Get out of the starter Sidewinder and it really isn't. The Sidewinder has limited jump range due to it's FSD but otherwise it's super quick to get there (as long as you use Fastest Route rather than Economical).

A friend jumped to Ho His yesterday, he was in the sidewinder. Halfway through the trip he ran out of fuel and had to self destruct. He made it the second time, when he docked at Hand Ring he asked me what the 'stored ships' tab is because there is an Eagle listed. He went afk for a couple of minutes after I explained it to him.

Does the routing take refuelling into account or could it potentially plot a course where you end up with not enough fuel?

Just upgrade the starter FSD one level and make sure you're not carrying any cargo and you should be able to get there from any of the starting points I think. Don't forget to refuel at stations along the way. I made the mistake of making one jump too many into an empty system and had to self-destruct and retry. Fortunately that starter ship is free.

It's probably a good way to make the trip in solo mode too since the system has become rather PVP heavy.

It'll show all routes up to about 80 LY away if you give it a minute or two to chug through the pathfinding. Locations out of your fuel range will show with dotted lines. When planning ahead, make sure that last solid line has a station or refuel at the one before it

Yeah I've upgraded the FSD already, didn't realise you needed to switch to Fastest route though, guess I'll try that. Been playing in Solo mode anyway since last week when my Sidewinder got potted twice by the same person.

I randomly encountered an enemy, destroyed it, and in the process I accidentally attacked a ship that was also shooting the rebel. Now I am hostile when I try to board a space station. What am I doing wrong?

I don't really know what I'm doing in the game so there's that too.

Faith

So my Viper is now fully upgraded and I'm at 1M CR right now. When the right ships are there I can make 200-300k CR in 30-40 minutes. It's all fun but I want to try out trading and also exploring. My viper has no cargo hold, only 15LY jump distance & the view isn't that pretty. I'm playing with the Oculus Rift DK2 and I want to see what's going on around me.

So which ship should I buy for trading & exploring? Cobra, Type 6 or save enough money for an ASP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom