• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougald

Well that's it, one more trade run with the ASP and I'll have it fully upgraded. I'm basically self sufficient at this point, I only need to kill people with a high enough bounty to cover ammo and that's it

I was going to go for one of the larger ships but they don't feel worth the grind, especially as they can't dock at outposts. I'd quite like a Python but screw grinding 56 million + probably another 56 for upgrades

bj00rn_

Banned
Took on a mission to kill four pirates across a few different systems. Killed 2 and the 3rd said something along the lines of "I bet the Federation paid you to do this, I'll pay you extra to kill 5 authority" but I wanted to stick to the main mission so I chose to take him out instead and got a 6000 credit bounty for murder :/

I did the same 3-4 times until I understood it wasn't just a glitch. The counter offer missions was little bit confusing at times.. I guess it makes sense in other ways though, and it is a legitimate twist on a plain mission.

All right, I did find that general after three USS's, thanks. Cruising at 30 km/s OP.

Kokojina / Ali Ring is great for upgrades and ships if you're anywhere close. I've been working on boosting Jet Federal there.

Oh, I added Ali Ring and a few other stations in Thrudd's site.

Ha that's where I ended up going. Was on the wiki and was the closest of all of them searched.

Ronnie

Banned
I have about 350k credits, still in my Sidewinder. Is it feasible to buy a Viper, do a bit more bounty hunting get another 300k that way then sell my Viper and upgrade to a Cobra for some trading? Bounty hunting is my favourite way of playing the game but I have my heart set on a Cobra eventually.

I have about 350k credits, still in my Sidewinder. Is it feasible to buy a Viper, do a bit more bounty hunting get another 300k that way then sell my Viper and upgrade to a Cobra for some trading? Bounty hunting is my favourite way of playing the game but I have my heart set on a Cobra eventually.

I would do whatever you can to start trading. I'm at about 3 Million Cr and I have my ASP kitted for trading. When my buddy comes on, or I get the urge, I just buy whatever ship I want for short range fighting and just have fun. Trading and making money gives you that freedom. Do it.

Ronnie

Banned
I would do whatever you can to start trading. I'm at about 3 Million Cr and I have my ASP kitted for trading. When my buddy comes on, or I get the urge, I just buy whatever ship I want for short range fighting and just have fun. Trading and making money gives you that freedom. Do it.

The thing is if I start trading then won't bounty hunting lose its appeal? That's what I'm loving at the moment, coming across a wanted ship worth 20k credits. If I'm suddenly making loads more by trading will bounty hunting still be as interesting or worthwhile?

The thing is if I start trading then won't bounty hunting lose its appeal? That's what I'm loving at the moment, coming across a wanted ship worth 20k credits. If I'm suddenly making loads more by trading will bounty hunting still be as interesting or worthwhile?

Yeah. BH will kinda lose its appeal if your main goal is money. I like to bounty hunt, but I treat it as more of a hunt than as a moneymaking tool and I find I have more fun with it, if that makes any sense.

bj00rn_

Banned

Did you forget about the dogfighting part..? That's why it won't really lose its appeal.

I did exploring first, then trading, then bountyhunting.

Now I'm doing all of the above whenever I feel like..

So what do each of the 3 (SYS, ENG,WEP) Improve when I put pips in them?

Like, which one helps with thrusters, turning, power distribution, etc...

Sarcasm

Found this:

Power Distribution
Displays the current power distribution between the ship's three capacitors - Systems (SYS), Engines (ENG), and Weapons (WEP). Energy in each capacitor is filled based upon how many pips are allocated to that capacitor.

There are 6 pips (12 halves) that can be distributed at any time between the three capacitors by pressing the Left Arrow for Systems, Up Arrow for Engines, Right Arrow for Weapons, or Down Arrow to reset the pips to 2/2/2 (4/4/4 halves). Each capacitor can be allocated a maximum of 4 pips (8 halves) which will cause them to regenerate at maximum speed and a minimum of 0 pips which will cause them to not regenerate at all.

Each capacitor can store a maximum amount of energy determined by the ship's Power Distributor. When power is expended (either by shooting, regenerating shields, boosting, etc.) it then begins to regenerate back to maximum capacity at a rate determined by how many pips are allocated to its capacitor.

Players can view what capacitor each module draws from in the ship's right control panel under the Module section.

Systems
Shield and ship systems draw energy from this capacitor. The more energy stored here, the faster the shields will recharge. Pips in this capacitor will influence the overall strength of the shields (note that zero pips will result in very weak shields).

Engines
Boosting draws energy from this capacitor. A boost can only be activated if there is a sufficient amount of energy stored. Pips in this capacitor will influence the ship's maximum speed, optimum maneuverability range, and top boost speed.

Weapons
Weapons and some scanners draw energy from this capacitor. Pips in this capacitor will allow weapons to cool faster thus reducing overheating problems.

Jedi2016

The first time i've come across a star this Silvery

YdN10mO.png
How are you getting it to scoop so much without overheating? I just got a Type-6 last night, and that thing overheats if I sneeze too near it. Makes scooping trickier, and I get shit for efficiency because I can't get close enough to the star without overheating.

Are there any tricks (aside from heat sinks) to get the Type-6 to run cooler?

Power distribution is what the pips are. Without power distribution systems, you can't alter how much each system gets at all, it just stays default forever. Anyway, Systems=Shield recharge, Engines=Max speed & turning (remember that your best turning radius is at half-throttle), Weapons=Cooldown and/or reload speed of whatever kinds of guns you have installed. So it's very situation-dependent. If I'm just cruising or flying to/from a station, 2/4/0. If I'm in combat, 0/3/3 (I have shield cell banks in my Cobra, so I don't usually need to allocate to Systems.. if it gets low, I'll give it one pip, which leaves me at 1/2.5/2.5). For docking, I use 4/0/2, keeps my speed low so I don't fly into walls or other ships.

Thanks for clarification. Wasn't sure about a couple things.

also if you are in a type 6 you're probably a pack mule. I would skip the fuel scoop altogether, the fuel is actually pretty cheap and the time spent fuel scooping could be spent trading. (If that was your plan)

Orgun

How are you getting it to scoop so much without overheating? I just got a Type-6 last night, and that thing overheats if I sneeze too near it. Makes scooping trickier, and I get shit for efficiency because I can't get close enough to the star without overheating.

Are there any tricks (aside from heat sinks) to get the Type-6 to run cooler?

Power distribution is what the pips are. Without power distribution systems, you can't alter how much each system gets at all, it just stays default forever. Anyway, Systems=Shield recharge, Engines=Max speed & turning (remember that your best turning radius is at half-throttle), Weapons=Cooldown and/or reload speed of whatever kinds of guns you have installed. So it's very situation-dependent. If I'm just cruising or flying to/from a station, 2/4/0. If I'm in combat, 0/3/3 (I have shield cell banks in my Cobra, so I don't usually need to allocate to Systems.. if it gets low, I'll give it one pip, which leaves me at 1/2.5/2.5). For docking, I use 4/0/2, keeps my speed low so I don't fly into walls or other ships.

This is a fully upgraded Type 6, so it has a Class A powerplant and power distributor, that makes a big difference.

Thanks for clarification. Wasn't sure about a couple things.

also if you are in a type 6 you're probably a pack mule. I would skip the fuel scoop altogether, the fuel is actually pretty cheap and the time spent fuel scooping could be spent trading. (If that was your plan)

The fuel scoop comes in handy if you are doing rare goods trading, saves you having to stop on your 160ly journey

Sarcasm

So how do I tell if I don't have a module or if the module is the same as I have?

Looking at upgrading my FSD and..yea can't tell squat when at the outfitter.

Skyzard

Banned
^If you already have it, it will say Item already installed or something like that in blue text just below the item.

You can compare what you have with what you want to buy...but yeah, you don't get all the stats and have to go on descriptions for a few things.

Found this:

Really good to know. Especially the shields being weaker with less pips, not just their recharge. Thanks.

Although it says the 3 bars for capacitors...I'm not sure if they actually mean the bars that go vertical above SYS. Will check it out.

Just bought the best shield for my viper too, really power hungry though. Might have to do some energy trimming upgrades before I check out some new weapons.

mitchman

Gold Member
So I just picked up an Asp and I feel I may have bitten off more than I can chew. I'm coming from a Viper that I had dressed to the nines worth about 2.5m which felt fantastic so the base Asp, while powerful, feels pretty bare bones.

It looks like, to upgrade the thing to its peak, would take somewhere in the neighborhood of 70-100 million credits. I mean. Fuck, dude. That's way too much.

To fit all A class modules cost around 24M.

Just got wrecked by the Federation security as I was trying to enter a station to pay off my bounty. Fuck.

Dock at outposts and not stations to pay bounties, they don't have any police (usually).

Effect

Okay finally got the game purchased and messed around a little last night and this morning. Wanted to use the Extreme 3D Pro joystick I have but just wasn't feeling right. Which is a bit surprising since it feels good when I play Star Citizen. So I started using my Xbox 360 controller, which I always used for SC as well. That felt a lot better. I think I do prefer the decoupling setup in SC though but that what is in Elite isn't bad. Flying around will take some getting used to.

Character's name is CMDR NeoStar9. Still a bit overwhelming and if I'm not careful it seems easy to press the wrong button and boost into a station. Done that a few times now and each time I've just barely missed crashing into it. Sooner or later my luck is going to run out though. Just been doing a few station missions but thinking I'll just pick a destination and see what happens.

To fit all A class modules cost around 24M.

Oh heck you're right, I wonder what I was thinking. Still, that's a shit ton of money and the only feasible way to get there is trading, which is just plain boring after a while.

Oh, the shield generator threw me off. A size 5 generator is actually about 20% undersized for an Asp, and the Asp can actually fit a size 6 generator, for which an A rating costs 17M.

Oh heck you're right, I wonder what I was thinking. Still, that's a shit ton of money and the only feasible way to get there is trading, which is just plain boring after a while.

Oh, the shield generator threw me off. A size 5 generator is actually about 20% undersized for an Asp, and the Asp can actually fit a size 6 generator, for which an A rating costs 17M.
Yea man I am BORED of trading at this point, but I am making some good money.

I think I will just bankroll a new Viper, upgrade it and do some hunting. Need a change of pace.

Edit: DAMN It feels good to be back in a Viper. Combat is my life!

Yea man I am BORED of trading at this point, but I am making some good money.

I think I will just bankroll a new Viper, upgrade it and do some hunting. Need a change of pace.

Edit: DAMN It feels good to be back in a Viper. Combat is my life!

I did the exact same thing. Trading makes craaaaazy good money and is the only exponential growth potential the game has but it's just plain boring. They need to add a way to make your money work for you outside of trading or the game is going to stall out.

I'm thinking similar to the X universe where you can buy trade ships and have them run trade routes.

I did the exact same thing. Trading makes craaaaazy good money and is the only exponential growth potential the game has but it's just plain boring. They need to add a way to make your money work for you outside of trading or the game is going to stall out.

I'm thinking similar to the X universe where you can buy trade ships and have them run trade routes.

Yea, that would be extremely cool. Totally agree with you.

How in the name of fuck am I supposed to defeat these Fed. Dropship enemies regarding the Sol permit? Man they are beefy. Even in a Viper I don't think I can chip them down enough while keeping myself stable.

enhancing this... Those are the NPC freighters running around and you can invest to up their defense etc.

Additionally it would be good if Orca and the other big passenger ship could be used to get missions where you have to fly other players around the universe to their ships in other stations.

Dougald

enhancing this... Those are the NPC freighters running around and you can invest to up their defense etc.

Additionally it would be good if Orca and the other big passenger ship could be used to get missions where you have to fly other players around the universe to their ships in other stations.

I'm hoping for something like this in addition to the inevitable "passenger" NPC missions. Currently we have passenger ships in the game without any passengers to carry, which is a shame

I want to be able to kit out my passenger liner with crew quarters! You could have anything from millennium-falcon style barebones thrown in your hauler for some extra cash, to first-class cruise liner luxury

Wreav

Banned
Every time I come across a Type 7 that is mining, I crack up...it's like watching a metro bus try to parallel park.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Oh man, the barrier for entry to be able to add new systems on Thrudd's site is huge. It would take someone like six months to find enough prices which needed updating in order to rack up enough points to be able to make entries for new stations. That takes 8000 points, which are earned at a rate of one point for confirming a price and 10 for updating one. I'm cheesing it by repeatedly making minor changes to back and forth on one of the price values. Once I hit Dangerous there I'll be able to start making entries there for the missing systems around Ho Hsi. 400 price changes to go...

No wonder they have so little data, sheesh.

It also doesn't have a way to import prices from EliteOCR. It's all manual entry. He said he might add an API for it soon though.

Yeah, this is the major reason why I think I'm going to settle on using Slopey's for trade data. I can easily correct any erroneous data I come across, but most importantly I can easily add data for systems and stations that aren't in the database, that I can then use right away. Thrudd's is nice but it's not as flexible nor as versatile as Slopey's.

The only real advantage Thrudd's has is that I can use it on my tablet next to me while I'm flying around in game (due to it's web page format).

mitchman

Gold Member
Yea, that would be extremely cool. Totally agree with you.

How in the name of fuck am I supposed to defeat these Fed. Dropship enemies regarding the Sol permit? Man they are beefy. Even in a Viper I don't think I can chip them down enough while keeping myself stable.

You use shield cell banks, I assume? Dropships should be relatively easy in a Viper if you can keep your shields up with shield cell banks.

Jedi2016

I've taken down a couple of them in my Cobra. Shield cell banks definitely help. My problem is keeping an eye on my shields... I tend to be looking up during combat (TrackIR), so I can't see how low my shields are getting.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Asps seem kind of overpowered. Has anyone tried running one as a primary combat ship? (e.g. put shields in the biggest slot instead of cargo)

I need another 20 million or so before mine is finished gearing up, but so far I'm quite happy with it. The bomber propeller sound while turning doesn't hurt either.

Nymerio

wow I'm probably way late in discovering this but using the lateral thrusters while turning makes for some sweet turns.

Asps seem kind of overpowered. Has anyone tried running one as a primary combat ship? (e.g. put shields in the biggest slot instead of cargo)

I need another 20 million or so before mine is finished gearing up, but so far I'm quite happy with it. The bomber propeller sound while turning doesn't hurt either.

I just was but I'm selling it to go back to a Cobra. I think the Asp is just too much damn money relative to the Viper/Cobra for what it's capable of combat. It can do a fair bit more damage but it can't soak up much more than a Cobra and it's a much bigger, slower target.

Not to mention if you take damage it's super expensive. 65% hull means a 100k+ repair, just not worth it until there's a better way to make money in combat.

This is my main goal. Found some decent routes to grind and once I get 20-30m just banked I'm dropping all shipping stuff and making it a hunter.

Got most of it upgraded but stripped of weapons and still need the best FSD. Have the second best right now.

How much is it to just gear it with the best weapons? All other stuff is mostly A class.

I just was but I'm selling it to go back to a Cobra. I think the Asp is just too much damn money relative to the Viper/Cobra for what it's capable of combat. It can do a fair bit more damage but it can't soak up much more than a Cobra and it's a much bigger, slower target.

Not to mention if you take damage it's super expensive. 65% hull means a 100k+ repair, just not worth it until there's a better way to make money in combat.

Did you have the large shield? I find the small works for trading but at first I had a few weapons and that large shield and nobody I tangled with could get my shields down. Although it was just some NPC s I was screwing with.

I think it could be pretty formidable if you ditch all trading gear. Seems Like it can pack a punch if you kit for it.

Repair costa are crazy. But a 10 minute trade route with 120 cargo gets that back easily.

When I battle with it I won't be doing it for credits.

Did you have the large shield? I find the small works for trading but at first I had a few weapons and that large shield and nobody I tangled with could get my shields down. Although it was just some NPC s I was screwing with.

I think it could be pretty formidable if you ditch all trading gear. Seems Like it can pack a punch if you kit for it.

Repair costa are crazy. But a 10 minute trade route with 120 cargo gets that back easily.

When I battle with it I won't be doing it for credits.

I couldn't find a class 6 that wasn't A rated for sale anywhere so I had the stock shield. It definitely packs a punch, going from 4-6 weapons is a huge difference, along with the significantly higher power output.

If you have the cash for it it's a lot tougher than the Viper, but it's very expensive to keep up.

Finally got to Allied status with The Pilots Federation at Jameson Memorial. Definitely worth doing. Available missions just went through the roof, just got a cargo run mission for CR350k (CR200k profit).

Finally bought my Asp there, the 10% saving is a lie! It sells at standard price despite listing at 10% cheaper. Opened a ticket with a sob story so you never know I may get some credits back.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So for you Shield Bank users, do you guys just run Shield Banks in all your Internal compartments and then micromanage it or what?

Are they refilled via ammo?

Wreav

Banned
I only have one Shield Bank installed, and it holds 5 units. You fire them like heat sinks, same mechanic.

I only need 2-3 per anaconda, usually.

wrongway

Has the server been acting goofy today? I sat down to relax with some space trucking while sick, and had a run where I couldn't buy cargo. It said "unable to authenticate transaction," but it deducted money even though it didn't give me any items. After closing the game and trying again it worked fine. Then a few runs later I couldn't sell my goods for the same reason. After a few tries I closed out again and was able to sell, but I must've duped my cargo since I got more money than I should've. Makes me kinda paranoid to do any further trading. o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom