• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Finally got to Allied status with The Pilots Federation at Jameson Memorial. Definitely worth doing. Available missions just went through the roof, just got a cargo run mission for CR350k (CR200k profit).

Finally bought my Asp there, the 10% saving is a lie! It sells at standard price despite listing at 10% cheaper. Opened a ticket with a sob story so you never know I may get some credits back.

Can that permit to Shinrarta Dezhra be unlocked with Federation ranks or is an exclusive thing for early backers?

I was looking around and the only comparable one is George Lucas at Leesti, which is wealthy/huge. Guess it makes sense that that would be a good station. I think I'll hop over there and try working to ally there, then move back to Ho Hsi after gearing up.

Also, this might seem pretty basic, but for people working faction, don't take missions you won't be able to complete. Failing or abandoning them hurts your rep even though it doesn't pop up and say so.

Can that permit to Shinrarta Dezhra be unlocked with Federation ranks or is an exclusive thing for early backers?

I was looking around and the only comparable one is George Lucas at Leesti, which is wealthy/huge. (Guess it makes sense that that would be a good station)

Also, this might seem pretty basic, but for people working faction, don't take missions you won't be able to complete. Failing or abandoning them hurts your rep even though it doesn't pop up and say so.

Don't think Fed ranks do anything, Founders World is Independent. I seem to think you get entry when hitting Dangerous or Deadly.

Though they just gave me a stupid mission to kill 2 traders, 8k reward, 50k paying off fines in the Federation....

Sarcasm

Server is acting goofy, I got kicked out of solo.

=/

Also how do you tell where to turn in bounties?

And for the life of me..I can't find any upgrades..and I am now getting indicated 24/7 lol

Raticus79

Wow, the Leesti area is actually pretty crazy. There are 10 huge star systems within 10 LY and so far they all have wealthy/huge stations.

8PbJ37b.png

Go Alliance I guess!

GeoGonzo

Wow, the Leesti area is actually pretty crazy. There are 10 huge star systems within 10 LY and so far they all have wealthy/huge stations.

8PbJ37b.png

Go Alliance I guess!

Those are also a great source or rare comodities. I've made a few million hauling things from that zone to Fujin and back.

Kyoufu

The game is starting to really click for me, but my problem is I'm pretty poor, credits wise. For bounty hunting, it's best to hunt at resource extraction sites right? I had a look around and didn't see any nearby.

Is trading the best way to make money?

Also watching Skyzard's stream was fascinating. I take it the headtracking was via Oculus Rift?

Sarcasm

The game is starting to really click for me, but my problem is I'm pretty poor, credits wise. For bounty hunting, it's best to hunt at resource extraction sites right? I had a look around and didn't see any nearby.

Also watching Skyzard's stream was fascinating. I take it the headtracking was via Oculus Rift?

Oculus Rift isn't need to use trackir.

mitchman

Gold Member
Asps seem kind of overpowered. Has anyone tried running one as a primary combat ship? (e.g. put shields in the biggest slot instead of cargo)
It's a multipurpose ship with emphasize on exploration, hence the large jump range. It's the only combat medium ship without any large weapon slots, afaik, so it's significantly weaker than eg. the Python in combat, but makes up for it in other areas. It's the cobra for rich people :)

Finally bought my Asp there, the 10% saving is a lie! It sells at standard price despite listing at 10% cheaper. Opened a ticket with a sob story so you never know I may get some credits back.

Same here, station tricked me out of 5M when I bough my Python last night, so now I can't afford to fly it yet :) Ticketed it, but the bug has been known for weeks.

8PbJ37b.png

Go Alliance I guess!

The area around Lave is the original starting area for the 1984 Elite, and they seem to have kept it reasonable accurate to that game. Good stuff!

Flunkie

Banned
Yo so uh this game isn't clicking at all. The tutorials teach you nothing about what you're actuskky supposed to be doing in the world.

I don't even know how to set a trade route

Raticus79

The area around Lave is the original starting area for the 1984 Elite, and they seem to have kept it reasonable accurate to that game. Good stuff!

Ah, cool, a bit of lore there then.

The faction "Independent Leesti for Equality" pretty much screams "we're the good guys", heh.

---

The server bugged out on me for about 5 minutes. I was trying to sell some stock to free up room for mineral oil for a mission and it looked like it was working, but it never actually removed the inventory so I couldn't buy my mineral oil. Repeat for the bunch of different items I had in stock. Eventually I logged out and back in and the issue is fixed, but I see I have about 2 million more credits than I started with. It must have been only registering part of the transaction.

Skyzard

Banned

I think trading gets very lucrative the more you do it without the difficulty curve of bounty hunting. Definitely noticing more higher ranked cobras, and they're pretty twisty even with my well equipped (and ideal mass) viper. Probably just need to get better.

As Sarcasm mentioned, I'm using headtracking with something like trackir (facetracknoir with trackir pro clip and a ps3 eye toy), it's cheaper and works well. It helps a lot being able to look around. Really adds to the game.
I've got a DK2 sitting here but not felt the need to switch to it yet, though I'll give it another go once nvidia fix support with new drivers.

Sarcasm

I think trading gets very lucrative the more you do it without the difficulty curve of bounty hunting. Definitely noticing more higher ranked cobras, and they're pretty twisty even with my well equipped (and ideal mass) viper. Probably just need to get better.

As Sarcasm mentioned, I'm using headtracking with something like trackir (facetracknoir with trackir pro clip and a ps3 eye toy), it's cheaper and works well. It helps a lot being able to look around. Really adds to the game.
I've got a DK2 sitting here but not felt the need to switch to it yet, though I'll give it another go once nvidia fix support with new drivers.

For facetracking, can you use your webcam? Also I assume since it uses it you can't say use the same webcam for streaming.

Transaction servers very fucked at the moment.

Outfitting, commodity market all not working properly

Cargo is disappearing, people are losing millions of credits on transactions (or gaining them)

You can sell the same cargo dozens of time in a row for massive profit.

Shifty76

Cargo is disappearing, people are losing millions of credits on transactions (or gaining them)

Yeah I had a cargo hold full of gold and silver. Was able to sell it multiple times, then somehow ended up with 61t of Beryllium which I was also able to sell multiple times.

Went from 3m to around 18m. Would have been more but I kept trying to buy goods too so lost the cash I spent on that.

Sad thing is I'm still millions away from a type 7

Skyzard

Banned
For facetracking, can you use your webcam? Also I assume since it uses it you can't say use the same webcam for streaming.

Yep it uses the webcam. Isn't quite as good but not too bad.

I'm not sure if you'd be able to use it for streaming at the same time tbh.

-streaming some more myself now

Just did this a couple of times. No big deal, as was only in a Cobra. But it made the jump to the Lakon 6 a bit quicker. However, everything is so erratic. Lost all my cargo on my first Lakon 6 run. Now it keeps kicking me. Going to log out and wait for the game to stabilise. Too risky!

Raticus79

The game says I have 128 cargo used on the trade screen and only shows 76 in the cargo tab, lol

Quite a mess. I wonder if they can even roll back with this infrastructure.

Sarcasm

So I just tried facetracknoir...how do I make it not soo sensitive and snap like in the video?

1st attempted it didn't center lol

2nd its center but constantly moving.

Keric

I've only been bounty hunting since release. I finally saved up enough and decided to become a trader tonight. Sold my Eagle, bought the Cobra. Upgraded the cargo and FSD, and bought a bunch of commodities. Game crashes (connection error). I log back in. I have my Cobra, but no ship upgrades and no commodoties, and all my money is gone. Fuck, this hurts.

Shifty76

Yo so uh this game isn't clicking at all. The tutorials teach you nothing about what you're actuskky supposed to be doing in the world.

I don't even know how to set a trade route
Probably because there isn't any single thing that "you're supposed to do."

It's a sandbox so do whatever the hell you feel like.

I started off with bounty hunting, went to mining, back to bounty hunting, then trading to piracy and now back to trading again. The game is what you make of it.

If you're looking for an on rails game that guides you all the way then Elite is probably not the game for you.

There are no trade routes to "set." Find somewhere selling something cheap then fly around until you find somewhere that pays more for it. Even better if the new station sells something that the first one buys.

owlbeak

Anyone sees Cmdr Fox Mccloud kill him! :( Guy has been griefing me for the better part of an hour. Interdicting me, somehow knocking my shields out in one shot and wrecking me, letting me getting away, rinse and repeat. Then he just found me and killed me in Ho Hsi Conflict zone.

What a pain! They need player issued bounties.

Skyzard

Banned
Anyone know a place near Ho Hsi with a nice backdrop to the extraction site? Maybe even icy asteroids like in the training mission?

Might as well set up near something pretty, spend a lot of time at the sites.

So I just tried facetracknoir...how do I make it not soo sensitive and snap like in the video?

1st attempted it didn't center lol

2nd its center but constantly moving.

There is a curves button where you can play with how you want it to feel, as well as enabling filters. And a smoothness slider at the top. You can test it out in real time with the curves to see how much you need to move for it to register that in-game angle.

Shiieeet. Finally beat one of those Federal black ops missions, got a permit for Beta Hydri...

Fixed Beam lasers and multi-cannon and dudes are getting rocked. Shield Cell Banks are a life saver!

Its 2015 and we have cars that van parralell park. Why is docking do hard? ;(

You know, I've never had an issue with docking and I can't figure out why so many others do. I see people here, the official forums and reddit mentioning issues with docking all the time and I just can't figure out what the problem is.

Am I just getting lucky? Is it because I use a HOTAS and TrackIR setup? Am I some sort of freak of nature?

You know, I've never had an issue with docking and I can't figure out why so many others do. I see people here, the official forums and reddit mentioning issues with docking all the time and I just can't figure out what the problem is.

Am I just getting lucky? Is it because I use a HOTAS and TrackIR setup? Am I some sort of freak of nature?

I had a few minor problems my first two times. But even with controller I got the hang of it quickly. It's quite fun.

Cimarron

Lol! I hate you! I am using a 360 controller. :p

Raticus79

Yeah, I imagine the HOTAS is the big difference there, heh.

I'm actually doing ok with the 360 controller, I just wish I could add some more buttons on the bottom for strafing. One nice workaround is to remap your d-pad so it works as front/back/left/right thrust when landing.

I thought about getting a 3DConnexion Space Explorer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmgiW4z1vow
7epe5ot.jpg

but from what people said on the forums it might be overly touchy for this purpose. I haven't seen anyone demonstrating it for space combat yet, although there was one person using it to slooowly move around.

Sarcasm

Anyone know a place near Ho Hsi with a nice backdrop to the extraction site? Maybe even icy asteroids like in the training mission?

Might as well set up near something pretty, spend a lot of time at the sites.

There is a curves button where you can play with how you want it to feel, as well as enabling filters. And a smoothness slider at the top. You can test it out in real time with the curves to see how much you need to move for it to register that in-game angle.

Anyways you can make a video to describe this? Every video I watch goes over it like in less than a minute.

Yeah, I imagine the HOTAS is the big difference there, heh.
I thought about getting a 3DConnexion Space Explorer:
but from what people said on the forums it might be overly touchy for this purpose. I haven't seen anyone demonstrating it for space combat yet, although there was one person using it to slooowly move around.

I've tried using a Space Navigator (very similar product from the same company), and it was too sensitive to use in pretty much any game. I had one lying around from when I did 3D animation. The few times it really "clicked," I was flying choppers in BF4, and that was fairly awesome. I wouldn't recommend getting one solely to try in games.

Shifty76

So my new trading run takes me right around 15 mins (sometimes longer if that damn white dwarf star at LHS355 grabs me out of supercruise) and earns me 141k profit one way, 146k the other, so less the 3k fuel cost that's 287k which works out to around 1.15m cr/hr which I think is pretty decent. This is with my 112t capacity Type-6 (ditched the fuel scoop for an extra 4t cargo which more than covers the cost of fuel)

Looking for an alternate market though as one leg of the trip is 3.2k ly from the star which is where I spend most of my time.

Might be time to invest in a type-7, depending on FSD cost.

This looks like it'd help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6neB7_Ns6A

It's late here, but have a fiddle with it. You can see your movements mapped on the curve charts in real-time, it's pretty intuitive.

Not sure how well it would work with just the facetracking, worth a shot I guess.

I tried FacetrackNoir and found out it's very light dependent. Or at least in my experience it is. I like to play in a pitch black room and it didn't work very well. TrackIR on the other hand has been fantastic with the game, and I feel like it's lesser of a game without it. That's how good it is in my opinion.

Sarcasm

I tried FacetrackNoir and found out it's very light dependent. Or at least in my experience it is. I like to play in a pitch black room and it didn't work very well. TrackIR on the other hand has been fantastic with the game, and I feel like it's lesser of a game without it. That's how good it is in my opinion.

TrackIR costs money right? It is hardware based too correct?

Raticus79

I've tried using a Space Navigator (very similar product from the same company), and it was too sensitive to use in pretty much any game. I had one lying around from when I did 3D animation. The few times it really "clicked," I was flying choppers in BF4, and that was fairly awesome. I wouldn't recommend getting one solely to try in games.

Ah, ok, thanks. I'll keep waiting.

I have a preorder in for a STEM. I think that could work out ok. Just need to wait for it to ship in a few months, hopefully.

TrackIR costs money right? It is hardware based too correct?

Yeah, it's not cheap either. Something like $99 or so. But it works so well and across multiple games. It's amazing to use in Arma III. Especially since I picked up a X52 for X-Mas and it works in Arma III as well. It's bliss.

Sarcasm

Yeah, it's not cheap either. Something like $99 or so. But it works so well and across multiple games. It's amazing to use in Arma III. Especially since I picked up a X52 for X-Mas and it works in Arma III as well. It's bliss.

Well with FaceNoIR you can actually make your own IR system =p

I am not going to use it anyways quicklook is fast enough for me.

Also I am looking at the outfitting the sidewinder has a E2 Class 2 FSD but sold here is same yet no indication I already own one. Buying shit is so confusing and old, I mean we are in freakin space I don't need to back out many menu's to go see what my current ship has.

If the FSD is the same sold as equipped I should know in the buying menu..unless I am missing something.

Also why doesn't ESC close menus? It goes straight to the ESC menu...example M for me open galaxy map (and closes it) but if I click on something in the map I can't hit ESC to go back to the map lol

Raticus79

Also why doesn't ESC clos emenus? It goes straight to the ESC menu...explain M for me open galaxy map (and closes it) but if I click on something in the map I can't hit ESC to go back to the map lol

There's a key mapping for that - I think it's backspace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom