• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nymerio

So I just tried facetracknoir...how do I make it not soo sensitive and snap like in the video?

1st attempted it didn't center lol

2nd its center but constantly moving.

If you have issues with it could also be the lighting conditions in your room. I had to turn on two lights to get it working really well. You may also be able to do something with your webcam's settings. Here are my settings, you can give them a try if you want: http://i.imgur.com/SDKVXEF.png

If a TrackIR is too expensive for you but you're not averse to spending some money I can definitely recommend the EDTracker. It's pretty easy to build yourself (there's a kit with all the parts floating around) and it works really well.

I actually have a TrackIR but I don't want to wear a head while playing and the side-mount thing for headsets is ridiculously expensive (as is the TrackIR if you ask me).

Sarcasm

If you have issues with it could also be the lighting conditions in your room. I had to turn on two lights to get it working really well. You may also be able to do something with your webcam's settings. Here are my settings, you can give them a try if you want: http://i.imgur.com/SDKVXEF.png

If a TrackIR is too expensive for you but you're not averse to spending some money I can definitely recommend the EDTracker. It's pretty easy to build yourself (there's a kit with all the parts floating around) and it works really well.

I actually have a TrackIR but I don't want to wear a head while playing and the side-mount thing for headsets is ridiculously expensive (as is the TrackIR if you ask me).

I live near the equator =D I just couldn't get it not too really sensitive. Even with my head still it looked like I was driving a car over many tiny speed bumps lol.

Shifty76

Raticus I haven't played all day, is the cargo thing still bugged?

No it's fine now. Decided to get an Asp instead of a type-7. Kitted it out with a bunch of weapons, a big FSD and all the advanced discovery gadgets so now I can be a jack of all trades. Still have 80t cargo too just in case.

Dougald

I've ordered the bits for an EDtracker as it comes to about £13 if you buy the PCB only and get the other hardware from China (and don't mind some soldering)... Hopefully it does the business

Magitex

TrackIR costs money right? It is hardware based too correct?

You just need to grab a PS3 eyetoy ($9) and a horribly overpriced $30 track IR clip (or if you're feeling DIY, you can try to build your own out of LEDs). Facetracknoir works roughly as well as TrackIR after setting it up properly with these two items, at a fraction of the cost.

There are a multitude of ways to configure Facetracknoir's damping settings, so sensitivity should not pose a problem. Light sensitivity itself is a non-issue if you put some negative film or cut up an old floppy disk and place it over the camera to block out all light except the infrared LEDs from the track clip pro.

Been using this setup for a year or two now and it's been great. Of course if you have money to throw away just grab TrackIR and save yourself some time. ($150 vs $40)

Lettuce

I heard people suggesting changing the HUD to green when using the Oculus Rift what's the reason behind this and how do you change the colour?

Nymerio

I've ordered the bits for an EDtracker as it comes to about £13 if you buy the PCB only and get the other hardware from China (and don't mind some soldering)... Hopefully it does the business

I'm very happy with it, though I suggest using opentrack with it.

This Elite launcher is so slow downloading the game. Christ.

This was a major issue for alot of people. The downloader got to 30% and stopped dead for me no matter what i did. In the end i downloaded it on my laptop, and then copied it over via USB to my gaming PC. Its a small download, like 3 gig or so

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Looks like my ship has a nasty bug after those transaction issues where cargo can't be sold. So far the only solution that's been found is to self destruct. Running a message delivery mission apparently helped some people reset the reported cargo size, but not actually sell anything.

Oh well, I'll wait a bit and then strip down the ship for self destruct. I had more than I started with due to that selling bug anyway. Apparently some people have had this problem for two weeks now, so I don't think they'll be quick about fixing it, but maybe they'll do something later today since it was so widespread.

DK 2 is using OLED displays, as far a I understand there's more green subpixels in those, making green easier to see than other colors.

HUD color change is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2p3784/you_can_manually_customize_the_gui_colors/

Yup, it's a a "pentile" display.

Sarcasm

So how do I tell on outfitting if I own something? There was no color change and it was the same since I looked.

Also what does LOAN mean? I know what the word means/implies.

GeoGonzo

So how do I tell on outfitting if I own something? There was no color change and it was the same since I looked.

Odd question. In outfitting you own the things currently equiped on the ship. You can dive into any of the slots to replace whatever you currently have with a new thing.

And the loan is a very small safety net, just in case you blow up your ship without enough money left to pay for insurance. Don't count on it and simply always keep enough money to replace whatever you are flying.

RK9039

You know, I've never had an issue with docking and I can't figure out why so many others do. I see people here, the official forums and reddit mentioning issues with docking all the time and I just can't figure out what the problem is.

Am I just getting lucky? Is it because I use a HOTAS and TrackIR setup? Am I some sort of freak of nature?

Same here, I don't have any issues docking and I use mouse+keyboard. Press F to slam on to the docking bay with shields up and then just slowly park it. Works every time.

GeoGonzo

I would click on it and it just says buy and equip..why would I buy something I own and that says LOAN >.<
Oohh the loaned weapons and such! Don't worry about those, you own those parts since they came with the ship. They are just marked as loaned because you can't sell them and get your money back, like you can do with any other part... as far as I remember loaned parts sell for 0, but you'll eventually want to replace them with something better anyway.

It will say "item is already equipped". Loaned is a part you won't get money for when sold or traded.

kamakazi5

So I was reading a thread in off topic that got me wondering if anyone has run into a super giant star yet? Are there even drastically different sized stars?

So I was reading a thread in off topic that got me wondering if anyone has run into a super giant star yet? Are there even drastically different sized stars?

I ran into a white one that seemed way bigger than the normal ones. BUT, I could have just dropped out of SC closer. Is there a way to see the size/mass of the star without going into the System View? Trader ain't got time fo dat.

SLV

I made my way to Aldebaran because of that thread yesterday, took me 2 days altogether to get there, now i am going to the next bigest star after Aldebaran, in a fully exploration kitted out type 6. And you do notice it is bigger.

Nymerio

I live near the equator =D I just couldn't get it not too really sensitive. Even with my head still it looked like I was driving a car over many tiny speed bumps lol.

Do you mean the edtracker or facetrack? The tracking from the edtracker with some noise canceling is tons better than facetrack. I didn't really notice till I tried the edtracker how twitchy the facetracking was.

New E:D video from Isinona (from yesterday..already posted..?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INOfV1hDems

Anyway, I love the E:D sound design, the guy doing it must be a genius.

The sound of the Viper is amazing. It's so throaty and the purring when you thrust sideways O_O

Sarcasm

EDtracker requires for me to make/get hardware.

Okay this ESC not backing out one in in-game menu's is irratating. M opens galaxy (and closes it unless) and when you click on something to go in ESC open start menu lolol.

You know, I've never had an issue with docking and I can't figure out why so many others do. I see people here, the official forums and reddit mentioning issues with docking all the time and I just can't figure out what the problem is.

Am I just getting lucky? Is it because I use a HOTAS and TrackIR setup? Am I some sort of freak of nature?

I use kb/m and seriously have no idea what the problem is with docking. You line the ship up with the dock, you approach it slowly, you go 0 throttle when above it, level out and drop the ship. That's it.

It's like everyone complaining about docking is always in flight assist off or something, I just don't get it.

New E:D video from Isinona (from yesterday..already posted..?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INOfV1hDems

Anyway, I love the E:D sound design, the guy doing it must be a genius.

Friends don't let friends use fixed weapons with flight assist off.

EDtracker requires for me to make/get hardware.

Okay this ESC not backing out one in in-game menu's is irratating. M opens galaxy (and closes it unless) and when you click on something to go in ESC open start menu lolol.

There is a binding called "UI Back" or something similar. You can just bind ESC to that. But then you'd still need to bind 'main menu' to something. I just bound UI back to my secondary fire trigger. So on my X55 it's index finger/main trigger to UI 'accept' and pinky finger button for UI 'back'. I use all VA and HOTAS buttons though, so my keyboard is just a bluetooth one that sits next to me for main menu options and typing in galaxy names.

Also, my EDTracker just asked for payment so that's paid and hopefully will see it in couple weeks! Can't wait, especially now that I'm in the Asp (A - S - P damnit, saying "Assssp" just doesn't sound as badass, it's not a "Guhtow", it's GTO!")

Anyway, saw this note, I actually was doing this inadvertently with a station that had the planet in between the jump-in point and the station I was going to, kept thinking "man, this is cool, it keeps dropping me facing the station!" But, I guess it's part of the design:

7. In Super Cruise, aligning station to planet.
It takes a lot longer to fly around a station because you are nowhere near the entrance then it help to note this: Stations face the planets they orbit. As you approach in Super Cruise (at 75% throttle to avoid fly-over), fly so that you end up approaching the station with the planet directly behind you. This may result in you slowing down slightly as you fly past/around the planet, but it&#8217;s a lot faster than flying all the way around a station on normal thrusters.

SpaceSawce

It's crazy how detailed the galaxy actually is. I just find myself staring at planets as I pass them and overshooting my target. I swear, the whole "1 million credit/hr" trade routes is absolutely true ... if you're a robot. I do a fairly decent trade right now where it's @1200/t to and 1100/t back. Each way takes about 6 minutes so "technically" I should be pulling in 1.3/m an hour, minus fuel which is about 5k each way (5A Asp jump drive is a gas hog!). So take away 60k and another 50k if I'm stupid and hit shit. Still, about 1.2m an hour ... Not so, lol. More like 600-800k because of looking at stuff (even though it's the same route) and reading the forums and such.

Sarcasm

Question...how do I see high tech places? I need to upgrade my FSD?

I tried the view > map and check high tec but found ones outside my jump ranges (one even if I get clsoe I still can't jump too)

Also how do I tell how far I can jump?

Question...how do I see high tech places? I need to upgrade my FSD?

I tried the view > map and check high tec but found ones outside my jump ranges (one even if I get clsoe I still can't jump too)

How close? I think there's a 100Ly jump limit on the "plot route" so unless you have a drive that can't make a jump in between one of the plot points you may not be able to find a route, plus it takes a few moments for it to 'plot' for the longer route. I find on 60-80Ly routes if I click around the star I want, then click on the star it loads a bit faster, I have to do this with Sol all the time. The best thing I can say is to just use the trade route thing or hopefully somebody will say.

I think I got my upgraded Asp A5 drive at 'q1 Eridani: Windt Terminal' ... not sure how far from that you are.

I couldn't find shit for High Tech or high pop stations just by randomly looking, may be the area I'm in but everything was Industrial/Agr or something.

I have looked in 11 stations nothing offers higher than what I have. =/

I updated my post, not sure if you saw.

q1: Eridani: Windt Terminal I'm "pretty sure" that's where I got it. Or Sol: Daedalus(sp?) as that was where I was running my trade route for a while in between those two. I'm pretty sure q1 is it though.

I can check when I get home later today but I figure you'll probably find it by then!

Dougald

It's crazy how detailed the galaxy actually is. I just find myself staring at planets as I pass them and overshooting my target. I swear, the whole "1 million credit/hr" trade routes is absolutely true ... if you're a robot. I do a fairly decent trade right now where it's @1200/t to and 1100/t back. Each way takes about 6 minutes so "technically" I should be pulling in 1.3/m an hour, minus fuel which is about 5k each way (5A Asp jump drive is a gas hog!). So take away 60k and another 50k if I'm stupid and hit shit. Still, about 1.2m an hour ... Not so, lol. More like 600-800k because of looking at stuff (even though it's the same route) and reading the forums and such.

Now that I have my ASP, I've taken a much more leisurely approach to trading... I just bum around the Lave area, picking up rare goods, taking missions and doing some light bounty hunting... once I have a decent enough haul I'll pick a nice route to go sell them through some uncharted systems that I can chart on the way. Then when I get there I'll generally bum around a bit more before eventually heading back

Doesn't make me a whole lot of money but I can reliably get 1million+ credits at the end of each rare haul, and it doesn't really feel like trading when it's no longer the primary objective. Bounty hunting keeps me in ammo, my scoop keeps me in fuel, and rare goods ensure I can cover the eventual rebuy cost

If only exploration made more money.. I assume if you find uncharted earth-like planets, that's where the big bucks are?

Wreav

Banned
For those of you that got a Type 6, how many credits were you sitting on?

I'm at about 1.4m total worth right now, but I assume I'll have to spend a little money on increased cargo holds and such.

Dougald

2 million would be a good starting point as you can buy the ship and some cargo space, and have enough left over to make some trade runs

You'll want probably another 1-2million after that for upgrades, but having double the cargo space of a cobra really speeds that along.

Putosaure

Finally bought this baby as I can't resist anymore with all those pics and videos uploaded.

I'm curious to see how I'll deal with the handling. YAY ! :D

Now that I have my ASP, I've taken a much more leisurely approach to trading... I just bum around the Lave area, picking up rare goods, taking missions and doing some light bounty hunting... once I have a decent enough haul I'll pick a nice route to go sell them through some uncharted systems that I can chart on the way. Then when I get there I'll generally bum around a bit more before eventually heading back

Doesn't make me a whole lot of money but I can reliably get 1million+ credits at the end of each rare haul, and it doesn't really feel like trading when it's no longer the primary objective. Bounty hunting keeps me in ammo, my scoop keeps me in fuel, and rare goods ensure I can cover the eventual rebuy cost

If only exploration made more money.. I assume if you find uncharted earth-like planets, that's where the big bucks are?

This is my plan. I just want to get everything upgraded to A before I head out. Probably sacrifice some cargo for a super scoop and scanners. I might try that rare trade cycle to just see what that's all about, haven't done any of that yet. I suck at scooping so I was negating the cost with hull damage! I'll just need to get better. Plus I'm running stripped of weapons at the moment. How much does it cost to fully outfit? Was looking at some prices so I assume about 5m?

For those of you that got a Type 6, how many credits were you sitting on?

I'm at about 1.4m total worth right now, but I assume I'll have to spend a little money on increased cargo holds and such.

Not much. My idea is that as long as you can make the jump, cargo spots, cargo spots, cargo spots. No matter what you're doing, the more cargo spots will net you more money. All other stuff was upgraded slowly after that for longer/more profitable jumps but I think when I first got my T6 I didn't even have enough money to fill the cargo, and just started from there.

To be safe, I'd probably save the cost of the ship, the cost of some good cargo, your insurance and then a nice buffer of about 1m for upgrades to cargo/FSD. Maybe shoot for 3m or so. But that's the safe route, I'd have already bought it if I was in your shoes, lol!

I did that with the ASP but realized I couldn't afford it, traded back to the T6 until I earned more and now can easily afford anything that happens (besides those upgrades ... damn @ 5m/per) , just takes a bit of time but being able to go straight to "earning max profitz" is a real plus in my book.

Dougald

This is my plan. I just want to get everything upgraded to A before I head out. Probably sacrifice some cargo for a super scoop and scanners. I might try that rare trade cycle to just see what that's all about, haven't done any of that yet. I suck at scooping so I was negating the cost with hull damage! I'll just need to get better. Plus I'm running stripped of weapons at the moment. How much does it cost to fully outfit? Was looking at some prices so I assume about 5m?

The top-end FSD is 5m on its own.. I bought when I had about 10m in the bank, spent about 4m on upgrades which left me just enough from the sale of my type-6 to do some more trading and cover the rebuy cost.

The "B" rated FSD is 1.5m and will do for a while.. Took me a few days playtime to earn the 5m to upgrade to the "A", but now I'm fully upgraded on everything except shields

As I was advised in this thread, buy in Shinrarta Dezhra if you kickstarted and you get a nice discount on ships, plus most modules are available.

The top-end FSD is 5m on its own.. I bought when I had about 10m in the bank, spent about 4m on upgrades which left me just enough from the sale of my type-6 to do some more trading and cover the rebuy cost.

The "B" rated FSD is 1.5m and will do for a while.. Took me a few days playtime to earn the 5m to upgrade to the "A", but now I'm fully upgraded on everything except shields

As I was advised in this thread, buy in Shinrarta Dezhra if you kickstarted and you get a nice discount on ships, plus most modules are available.

I was a beta backer (Merc edition I think) so I didn't have access sadly. Would have saved me some pennies for sure! I already have the top FSD which is helping with trading a lot, knocks out a couple jumps in a lot of routes. 120 cargo, fuel costs knock about 5 of those down in profit so I'm 'technically' running with 115 cargo, still 11 more than the T6 and a hell of lot more fun to fly (have 2nd best thrusters) and other stuff is close.

What type of weapons do you have? I plan on making it a "somewhat trader" ship after all is upgraded and just swap out cargo for mining or w/e I want to do at the time. Think this may be my "goto ship". I'll probably buy a T7 when I have enough but I'll keep this one.

But I haven't seen much mentioned in terms of the hardpoints and utility mounts and the cost to them.

Dougald

What type of weapons do you have? I plan on making it a "somewhat trader" ship after all is upgraded and just swap out cargo for mining or w/e I want to do at the time. Think this may be my "goto ship". I'll probably buy a T7 when I have enough but I'll keep this one.

I'm currently running gimballed type-2 beam lasers in the medium hardpoints, and gimballed multi-cannons in the smalls... though I'm the first to say that combat isn't my forte... but it seems to work well. I used to prefer the fixed laser weapons, but the ASP isn't the most maneuverable ship out there in a fight, so for me taking the loss for gimballing is worth it.

So I've made a discovery regarding rail guns.

They fuck big ships right up.

I've got a Cobra with two medium fixed rail guns and if you aim for the power plant you can drop a python in four shots. These guns are absolutely ridiculous against subsystems to the point where I accidentally destroy hardpoints on ships all the time. I once took out both small hardpoints on a Viper in one salvo.

These things are so damn good.

Dougald

I was thinking of swapping my C2 Beam Lasers out for Railguns... maybe I will give them a go

I assume they consume a hell of a lot of power?

I was thinking of swapping my C2 Beam Lasers out for Railguns... maybe I will give them a go

I assume they consume a hell of a lot of power?

They do use up a good bit of power and they also put out a ton of heat. Three shots in a row is all you can do before you need a little cool off but in my Cobra I've never felt held back from firing when I wanted to. Ammunition is scarce so you'll spend enough time aiming that the shots will be spread out where power and heat won't bother you.

I just now accidentally killed an Anaconda at about 50% hull. I was aiming for his power plant but took out his FSD instead, woops. I think I used 7 to 9 salvos, wasn't paying attention.

Edit: I wouldn't waste any rounds on shields so keep another set of energy weapons for dropping those first. I'm using two small beams on gimbals for shields. Gimbals on the Cobra's small hardpoints are a necessity but their cone of fire is so limited that it's pretty annoying. I don't think the Viper has the power output for the rail guns (1.6 each), but if it did I'd much prefer it (well, minus it's terrible range and cargo hold).

Smellycat

I had to do a double take at this title, because I thought it said "Ellen Degeneres"
KuGsj.gif

metalhead79

Neo Member
Is there an easy way to figure out which stations sell what ships? I lost my Freagle due to attempting to take out a 'master' Anaconda by myself. I didn't know the ship was a one shot deal, I'd assumed it would always be there for me since I pre-ordered.

Every station I've flown to since respawning in my Sidewinder has not sold Eagles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom