• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just two for now. I still have my Cobra, I'll be trading that up when I buy the Asp.

It just occurred to me that storing a ship at a station essentially locks you to that station forever.. lol. When I leave with my Cobra to buy the Asp, I'll have to leave the Type-6 there... And whenever I return for trading, I'll have to leave my Asp there.. hehe.

I know, there's ways around it, but it still caught me for a second. Long haul for exploration considering that the station in question is Galileo.. as damn near the center of human territory as you can get.

Yeah you need taxi ships with decent range like an Adder because the trade value loss isn't as big.

Now that I have a Type 7 that's like 2m+ value lost plus I have to make sure mybparts are available so I can jump back in quick. So Taxi ships I think are the only option.

Faith

http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk

Click on "Find Trades"
Type in Erevate, set pad size to med and distance to 30 ly then hit search.
Couldn't be easier. There are several 2k/t profit round trips listed that are only 10 ly distance.

Seriously people , bookmark that link and use it - it makes trading SO much easier!
Thanks for the link.

I sold my fully upgraded Viper and bought a Type6 with 104T cargo hold and the best FSD for 1.5mio (27LY jumprange, 18.2LY laden), some nice thrusters and stuff. The ship is now worht 5mio CR and I'm sitting at LHS 142 and making 235.000 CR per run (2250CR/ton). It's just one jump (18.04LY) and the stations are near the star (10 & 600 LS). I get around 1.2mio CR per hour.

Is there any better trade route in the neighbourhood?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Thanks for the link.

I sold my fully upgraded Viper and bought a Type6 with 104T cargo hold and the best FSD for 1.5mio (27LY jumprange, 18.2LY laden), some nice thrusters and stuff. The ship is now worht 5mio CR and I'm sitting at LHS 142 and making 235.000 CR per run (2250CR/ton). It's just one jump (18.04LY) and the stations are near the star (10 & 600 LS). I get around 1.2mio CR per hour.

Nope, that's about as good as it gets for profit per hour.

---

Slopey's BPC just posted version 4.2.1. Patch notes to tide us over until some Elite patch notes:

Slopey's BPC News

7-JAN-2015

v4.2.1.0 is available!

Greetings Commanders! 4.2.1.0 is now ready - and features the following added goodness:

- Much much faster parsing!!!
- Settings are now saved in the database, and work properly (hopefully!)
- Added flexibility on the Auto-Update period from Options
- Options screen is now tabbed
- Added a new About screen
- Timestamps removed on the BPC results grid and replaced with aged minutes
- Fixed the colour coding on aged minutes
- Added Auto-Delete for aged data on startup (see Database Options in Options)
- Added function to delete data over a certain age manually (see Database Options in Options - may require a one-shot timestamp check for data prior to 4.2.1.0)
- Commodity filter on the BPC now works properly (whoops!)
- Right clicking on results in the BPC grid allows you to set the From/To systems to those values

You can get it via Auto-update, or from the forum post OP. Please note that the first time you try a manual cleardown by date, the BPC may want to do a timestamp reconcilation. This is ok, it's a one shot thing.

Also note that if you're not getting the aged values in the BPC grid (for how old the data is in minutes) you should use the bottom left button on the Options -> Database Options to run a timestamp reconcile - that'll sort it. This is due to a change in the way I'm handling timestamps going forward for increased speed with SQLite.

Cheers,
S.

Their "known systems" list dropped from 3000 to 1000 though, so there must have been a big cleanup. The most profitable systems around Leesti I found (e.g. HIP 65636) are missing, and so is Ho Hsi. (fixing that now)

I think that might be related to having stripped out a bunch of bad OCR data and they're now only accepting OCR from high-res screenshots (over 1080p).

Shifty76

Thanks for the link.

Should be able to run 112t cargo and 19.3 or so jump range. Try setting everything but FSD to class D (lightest), ditch shields + hardpoints and run max size cargo in all slots. Extra 4t of cargo space more than covers fuel cost on a T6 if you were using a scoop.

Is there a reference sheet available with the default X55 bindings? I couldn't find one that matched the current default preset in game.

Saganator

Just two for now. I still have my Cobra, I'll be trading that up when I buy the Asp.

It just occurred to me that storing a ship at a station essentially locks you to that station forever.. lol. When I leave with my Cobra to buy the Asp, I'll have to leave the Type-6 there... And whenever I return for trading, I'll have to leave my Asp there.. hehe.

I kinda like having a somewhat well equipped Viper in storage. That way I know if I get blown up with an expensive cargo in my Type 6, I still have a Viper I can use to make some seed money to start running trades again.

Wired

Right, so I've pretty much just gotten around to start playing the game and I feel like I could use some pointers on how to best start out. I'm still stuck around Eravate running random courier missions, which has been fun so far but it isn't making me that much money. At the moment I only have about 30k which isn't getting me anywhere :p

So if anyone have some tips on what would be a better use of my time I would love to hear it, should I be trading and if so where would be a good place to start out?

I just started the game and decided to tackle a high paying bounty mission thinking it was going to be quick easy money. I spent about 3 hours tracking down the wanted ship. When I finally found her, I approached slowly and stopped right in front of her to see if she had any final words. She says, "What I want is all you have." and then blows my ship up with one shot. I think I'm going to stick to trading for a while.

Faith

Should be able to run 112t cargo and 19.3 or so jump range. Try setting everything but FSD to class D (lightest), ditch shields + hardpoints and run max size cargo in all slots. Extra 4t of cargo space more than covers fuel cost on a T6 if you were using a scoop.
Ditching shields would gain me 8T more cargo, I will do that tonight.

What's the next step? Grind 25M and buy a Type7? What are the upgrade costs for best FSD and all cargo maxed out?

Kyoufu

I don't recommend dropping shields. 8 tons isn't much compared to potentially losing 100 tons + the ship itself. Trading routes are so tedious your mind wanders and the next thing you know you're crashing into things. :p

Nymerio

I just started the game and decided to tackle a high paying bounty mission thinking it was going to be quick easy money. I spent about 3 hours tracking down the wanted ship. When I finally found her, I approached slowly and stopped right in front of her to see if she had any final words. She says, "What I want is all you have." and then blows my ship up with one shot. I think I'm going to stick to trading for a while.

lol the assassination missions almost always pit you against an anaconda.

How do you do the missions where you have to find rebel transmissions? I've traveled to the unexplored system where they supposedly are, but I'm flying aimlessly finding nothing. Am I supposed to drop supercruise by the primary star and just look around? I'm lost.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Go into Unidentified Signal Source (USS) and they will randomly give you what you want.

Be warned, the activity is usually considered illegal by the NPC authorities and they will fine you if they scan you with stolen cargo.

Raticus79

What's the next step? Grind 25M and buy a Type7? What are the upgrade costs for best FSD and all cargo maxed out?

An asp is the next step. I run mine with 120 cargo and size 3 shields to handle minor bumps and sidewinders that pop up from time to time.

Kyoufu

When you guys are doing your trades but are many millions away from your goal, what do you do to keep motivated? I think the trade grind is getting to me.

SLV

I dont know about you guys, but Viper was never good for me, too little power available, with Cobra i can barely fit enough to my liking atleast.

mitchman

Gold Member
When you guys are doing your trades but are many millions away from your goal, what do you do to keep motivated? I think the trade grind is getting to me.

Trade rares. Not really more profitable, but certainly less grindy and you generally wait around for 10-20 minutes, grab the next spawned cargo (might have to wait 2-3 times 10 minutes for a full allotment), then travel to the next station maybe 50ly away. You can watch TV while waiting :) I make around 2M every 2 hours or so with a 156t cargo hold (I'm combat outfitted).

SLV

I am seriously starting to think there is something wrong with my save or whatever, i was flying around ho hsi for a few hours, 0 commanders, whenever i drop in any USS, they are always emtpy, nothing be it items or any other NPC ships of any kind. Something is wrong. And yes i was playing Open play,

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
What's a good flight stick for sub 200 that will also work with older stuff like tie fighter?

CH fighterstick + pro throttle. Map yaw on buttons the meantime since its not really a necessity in ED in and eventually buy rudders. They can be combined into one device so you can play old games and reliability wise, you'll get your money's worth. Peoples still play with their fighterstick from mid 90's.

Here's a video comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceOdOytgT64&spfreload=10

As a owner of a TM warthog, im still jealous of the CH throttle hehehe :)

Don't ditch shields, unless you are 100% in your ability, that one screwup can cost you millions. Think of it this way, T6 is about 104 I think with what I was running. A good general profit is about 1200c/t. A full load of 7k stuff is about 728k + w/e your insurance is, I think a T6 is still fairly cheap, another 60k or so. So you're looking at almost 800k if an accident happens. Whereas those 8 cargo spaces will make you 9600/trip + add the 7k*8 of extra cargo if something does go bad. One mistake would negate 83 trips. Honestly, your income and c/t/h is going to change more than 9600c profit per trip.

Keep the shields.

As for your T7, yeah that's the logical step (An Asp is the fun step but you only gain 14 more cargo, and fuel cost increase negates about 4 of them), or a Clipper but that gets pricey to run. I found 50% gone on my T7 hull was super cheap, less than 10k if I remember, plus Fuel is the same as the Asp. Thought it would be different for the 'large' ships but I'm cool with the cheapness!

Here's my setup: Take it to 32m if you want class 5A Thrusters, all the rest I believe is maxed. I meant to get them last night but couldn't find a spot and stopped looking, Time is money!

3bzh8kc.jpg

I don't recommend dropping shields. 8 tons isn't much compared to potentially losing 100 tons + the ship itself. Trading routes are so tedious your mind wanders and the next thing you know you're crashing into things. :p

Exactly. Boosting out OH SHIT A TYPE 9! Too close to the sun because you're still alt-tabbed typing pointers in this thread ...

I find a different trade route, And I'm a sadist or something because everyday I sit down and think "let's do something different" but I really enjoy the trading. It's that MMO conditioning where I farm for 3 hours to play for 1. Or any hobby really, even RC cars you spend more time in the garage than on the street, or Netflix, some seasons just drag on but that season finale!

I've actually started playing live concerts in the background. Passenger, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin ... more relaxing stuff. Works out hilarious when you dock and you hear a crowd cheering "THANK YOU, NO REALLY THANK YOU, I would never have been in this Type 7 if it wasn't for you guys" ...

I was thinking about audiobooks too.

X55 from saitek.

CH fighterstick + pro throttle. Map yaw on buttons the meantime since its not really a necessity in ED in and eventually buy rudders. They can be combined into one device so you can play old games and reliability wise, you'll get your money's worth. Peoples still play with their fighterstick from mid 90's.

Here's a video comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceOdOytgT64&spfreload=10

As a owner of a TM warthog, im still jealous of the CH throttle hehehe :)

Yeah, if it wasn't for Twist-Yaw I would have gone CH setup, but I find myself using it all the time. Not sure if I'm terrible and that's why, but it's really useful. Easily line up the mail slot, docking, I love it on platforms (although in a T7 I don't use them anymore).

I went with an X55 and love it. If you are willing to use pedals (wouldn't work for me) I would probably go CH, if not, I do think Yaw is fairly important ... at least for the way I fly it adds that little 'touch' when I'm banking a turn and such, plus lining up SC targets.

Right now I'm wondering if I should go back to the controller. :s

I'll have to do some major tweaking tomorrow but my current profile isn't getting the job done.

I started with the default, but have been remapping the occasional thing here and there to my own liking as I find the shortcomings.

I was watching this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr9Oi1jc4wg) on how to program the X-55, in this case the mappings are to keyboard commands rather than native support in the game. The video will amaze you how powerful that setup tool is, hopefully it inspires you to try some things out with your own stick setup.

Raticus79

Aha, here's where people were getting that centre dot:

Options > Controls > Mouse Controls > Show mouse widget

Tendo

I want that twist yaw as rudder pedals aren't really an option for me. I'm torn between the x52 pro and x55. Seems the x55 has some issues playing with the GOG versions of x-wing and tie fighter with the throttle not being recognized and responding sluggishly.

Between the x52 and x55 is there a "best" option? I'm new to modern flight sticks.

I want that twist yaw as rudder pedals aren't really an option for me. I'm torn between the x52 pro and x55. Seems the x55 has some issues playing with the GOG versions of x-wing and tie fighter with the throttle not being recognized and responding sluggishly.

Between the x52 and x55 is there a "best" option? I'm new to modern flight sticks.
I have not played with the 52 myself, but the 55 I got has been great so far. The twist to yaw was also a feature i was interested in because, similar to you, pedals are not an option. I can't comment on the performance with those GoG games but with SC and Elite it's been awesome. One of my criteria for picking it over the 52 was the throttle; I wanted one with a lot of buttons on it to map commands to so I would be able to keep my hands on the controls as much as possible during a dogfight. So far so good. :)

mitchman

Gold Member
So the 55 got more throttle buttons than the 52?

Edit: oh I see it no, that's nice. I would nice to have more buttons than my X52 supplies :)

metalhead79

Neo Member
I got my PS3 Eye camera setup with FaceTrackNoIR yesterday. I'm pretty happy with it, especially since I only spent $8.88 on the camera.

It's added a whole new level of immersion to the game. Love it!

Kyoufu

I started with the default, but have been remapping the occasional thing here and there to my own liking as I find the shortcomings.

I was watching this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr9Oi1jc4wg) on how to program the X-55, in this case the mappings are to keyboard commands rather than native support in the game. The video will amaze you how powerful that setup tool is, hopefully it inspires you to try some things out with your own stick setup.

I'll try this, thanks.

@flyingpiranha, what do you recommend for the Asp loadout? I'm thinking 2 gimballed beam lasers and 4 gimballed multi-cannons. Bad idea?

Shifty76

I'll try this, thanks.

@flyingpiranha, what do you recommend for the Asp loadout? I'm thinking 2 gimballed beam lasers and 4 gimballed multi-cannons. Bad idea?
I know you weren't asking me, but my preferred setup is 2 x fixed beam on the med and 4 x gimballed multicannons on the small. I played around with dual plasma on the med but ammo is expensive.

I'll try this, thanks.

I know you weren't asking me, but my preferred setup is 2 x fixed beam on the med and 4 x gimballed multicannons on the small. I played around with dual plasma on the med but ammo is expensive.

This is probably a pretty good loadout. And yeah, ammo is expensive. It's why I'm in a Type 7 trading away to have a really good bankroll ... but now I have my eyes on the Python!

I went all gimballed because I was doing lower level missions (I have done maybe 3 missions in the entire game) and most of my killing has been without any reward, just random NPCs interdicting me or getting bored and attacking while hauling a full cargo hold, lol.

I did 4 G-Beam Lasers on the small with 2 G Canon on the medium. The beam lasers could drop sheilds really quick and I could drop target to make them 'non gimballed' and then would finish off with the canon, but beams would usually do it too. With Class A power and dist you really can fire for a while, just do all pips to weps and rest to shields, Asp moves really well and most NPCs aren't much of a challenge.

I only have come across one CMDR while trading in my Asp and he just said hello, so I have no experience fighting hoomans in it.

EDIT:

Just saw this while browsing reddit. Will test later this week but seems great for us that jump back and forth between the DK2 and a Monitor.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=65258

Hopefully Frontier can figure out a way to get all the keybinds on a controller, or maybe simplify some stuff.

As it stands now, there's simply too much to put on a controller for it to be feasible on a console.

I play PC exclusively on gamepad and haven't needed the kb/m since I set up the bindings. It's totally feasible - I find it pretty fun. I clear the flight check and then some, adding bindings for throttle 0, super cruise, flight assist off, etc.

metalhead79

Neo Member
I play PC exclusively on gamepad and haven't needed the kb/m since I set up the bindings. It's totally feasible - I find it pretty fun. I clear the flight check and then some, adding bindings for throttle 0, super cruise, flight assist off, etc.

Well then, I stand corrected. Frontier needs to get this on console ASAP!

So I picked this up yesterday and I'm really liking it so far. I just came off playing X3 Terran Conflict which I had a lot of fun with, but Elite's ship flight mechanics are so much more satisfying. Unfortunately Elite seems much more shallow than X3 at the moment. I hope the developers are really committed to bringing in new content.

My only issues is that I have a horrible bug with the sound. It crackles like crazy when near a space station. I've updated my drivers, turned off all hardware effects, turned down my graphics settings and it till persists. Not sure what else to do. When flying in space and dog fighting I don't have any issues.

Kyoufu

Jumped into an extraction site, scanned someone who was apparently Wanted, shot him a bunch then I turned Wanted.

Did my gimballed weapons do something naughty? Do they ever track other ships that aren't tarhetted or was it an unfortunate case of a friendly ship getting hit by crossfire?

X-Kalibur

I've been bounty hunting in my stock eagle I got with the mercenary edition, hunting down Cobras and some Anacondas (with help from the feds). Now I have 500k and I want to buy a new ship.

I'll be mainly bounty hunting and doing missions (along with some minor trading). Should I get the Viper or the Cobra?

Jumped into an extraction site, scanned someone who was apparently Wanted, shot him a bunch then I turned Wanted.

Did my gimballed weapons do something naughty? Do they ever track other ships that aren't tarhetted or was it an unfortunate case of a friendly ship getting hit by crossfire?

Bounties are based on jurisdiction, if they were clean in that system then you were the aggressor.

bj00rn_

Banned

I was a bit nervous choosing the X52 Pro over the X55 because I kinda wanted the X55 the most. But reading about them on the net there was a tiny tiny consensus for the X52 Pro, and now after having had it for a little while I'm glad that I chose it (well, I mean..; relative to the fact that I haven't tried the X55 myself..), It's a really solid great HOTAS. And good riddance to my old X45, I feared that I would hate the twist yaw compared to the throttle flaps, but it's fine!

Bounties are based on jurisdiction, if they were clean in that system then you were the aggressor.

I'm not sure I understand.. Why are they showing as wanted if they are clean? Edit: Wait, I understand. But shouldn't it rather state that the person isn't wanted in this particular system or something?

So basically always hunt in Anarchy systems? And try and find a spot that's close to an Empire hub and a Federation hub so you don't have to travel too far to turn it in?

Can you receive bounties in Anarchy systems? As in, if you just start killing people will you get a bounty on your head?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom