• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay someone please help me. My ship is stuck in a spin. I am fully repaired but no matter what I do, my ship literally just spins to the right. I have to tilt my joystick to the left to counter this.

I tried using mouse and keyboard instead of my saitek x52 and it is still doing this. Anyone know how to fix this?

Edit: nvm fixed it by exiting repeatedly, unplugging the saitek, resetting controls, etc

It almost sounds like you had flight assist off...

elyetis

I thought the whole point was that it was all randomly generated content with template stations, missions etc.
I'm pretty sure the objective is to have the factions expand in the inhabited galaxy, but after the unexplored systems information get sold to them by players. Making it more of an evolving thing, and probably ( at least I hope ) also the opportunity to introduce new type of station as they expand.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Yeah, having no potential to bump into an alien race on the other side of the galaxy or something is quite a bummer. "Yayyy I found some planets, maybe in six months the AI will build an outpost here". If they allowed players to create factions and build outposts and upgrade them to stations that would be way more interesting.

More like "room for up to 400 billion procedurally generated systems" if none of them exist yet... bah.

Crispy75

Once I visit something nobody has ever seen, it generates some random solar system, then everybody who visits after that sees the same thing I saw?

Procedural doesn't mean random. It doesn't matter who visits the system, or when; any player will always see the exact same system. There's basically a series of complicated, but deterministic equations that produce answers like "type of star" "number of planets". The inputs to those equations are the system's X Y Z coordinates. Same X Y Z always generates the same system.

elyetis

Yeah, having no potential to bump into an alien race on the other side of the galaxy or something is quite a bummer.
Actually we don't know that, except if most of the galaxy have been visited by some crazy explorer or the dev said so themselves. Thought I doubt they would have put work an entire new race and thus asset ( ship/station ) only for them to be found after weeks ( month ? ) after the release, by a very small minority of the playerbase. Given they didn't have the expected number of ship for release ( i think ) I doubt that's the case. Thought it could comes in months, since I doubt more than 10%(1?) of the systems will be visited by that time.

I guess they could/can have made it so that you can find "hidden" faction using the same tech as us with some settlers from 200 years ago background or something, if we accept that the tech ( ships, weapons, stations ) we find in the fed/empire/alliance, is a technologie that old.
If they allowed players to create factions and build outposts and upgrade them to stations that would be way more interesting.
Preaching to the choir, I definitly agree on that.

Procedural doesn't mean random. It doesn't matter who visits the system, or when; any player will always see the exact same system. There's basically a series of complicated, but deterministic equations that produce answers like "type of star" "number of planets". The inputs to those equations are the system's X Y Z coordinates. Same X Y Z always generates the same system.

If I visit it as the first player to see it, is it already 'pre-determined' what would be there?

And I think I might use the T7 to get my comfy bankroll, maybe a Python, or go back to the Asp fully decked out for battle. Decisions, decisions ...

Space trucking is actually pretty enjoyable right now so I'm not really too bored with it at this point. I should start doing missions and stuff though but damn, they are just confusing, searched around for some Pirate in all of the areas they said, dropped in to a few USS and nothing after like 45 minutes of searching.

And to dive in on the "player created factions and stations" ... not sure if I really want that to be honest. Wouldn't this just become EVE basically at that point?

onken

The idea is that inhabited space will expand over time, and alien civs will pop up elsewhere in the galaxy too. They've kept the populated sectors to one corner at the start to give themselves room to add other, more distinctive, things in the future.

Personally, as an explorer, I love that there is so much vacant space for us to explore.

But there's no sense of journey, we always have to go back to the cosy pocket to sell the map data.

I'm pretty sure the objective is to have the factions expand in the inhabited galaxy, but after the unexplored systems information get sold to them by players. Making it more of an evolving thing, and probably ( at least I hope ) also the opportunity to introduce new type of station as they expand.

That's fine, but all I wanted is a platform every hundred lyears or so to repair and sell my map data, I don't think that's too much to ask. Hell just the same copy/paste "explorer's platform" over and over would be fine, then I could keep going. My plan was also to get to or near the center of the galaxy (the systems are like 1ly away from either other there!!) but that's impossible now.

Kyoufu

Ha was just reading this while trying to figure out "true" investment. Think I might bite the bullet and trade the Asp for a T7 and grind out some more.

Just not sure if I want to do that, may just do bounty hunting for a while lol.

Python has ridiculous running costs.

Hey FP, how much do you earn per hour hunting bounties usually? I take it it's nowhere as much as trading, but more fun?

Hey FP, how much do you earn per hour hunting bounties usually? I take it it's nowhere as much as trading, but more fun?

I don't think I've done a good bounty hunt run for an hour. I was killing randoms that attacked me while I was searching for a mission bounty. I think the extraction sites is where it's at from what I've been researching but honestly, I don't plan to do it for the money. I guess if I kitted out a Cobra or Viper it would be financially viable but as it is now with the ASP the 40 or so ships I've killed (where are the bounties? I get interdicted, kill them and get nothing?) haven't got to my hull yet, so the money isn't a problem ... yet!

But yeah, I can't imagine (as the system is now) that bounty hunting could make more than trading. I'm going to get a T7 and that would increase my profit to almost double, so about (on average) 2m/hour on the low end (screwing around, lol).

With a T7 you could have a fully kitted out Asp in a few hours depending on the route. But I'll see, I 'examine' more than I play because of work and holidays being over now but just a few weeks ago I was in a Cobra thinking "this is fucking impossible!" and now I could get a Clipper if I wanted by the end of the day. It's crazy just how much the scaling in trading goes up. Couldn't even imagine a T9 ... we have some members here in Pythons trading I believe and that's a lot credits.

Wreav

Banned

The amount per hour is not as steady as trading. I can make 60-100k in one kill that takes 3 minutes if I'm lucky, or I can grind a bunch of 15k per kill Cobras, just depends on what the instance gives you. In general, I'm making 100k every 30 min or so.

Effect

Think I've finally got this docking thing down. To the point I can position myself fairly quickly and enter and exit with a decent amount of speed. The only thing that is an issue is being denied docking at some stations and the NPC or other players (mainly them) almost running into me. Was entering one station last night and another player (I think it was unless I targeted the wrong ship) flew right behind me and rubbed their ship right on top of mine to try and get by. Didn't even bother to try and slow down, and I was going a decent speed myself, or thrust in a different direction. I just found myself being pushed down as the ship went by. If anything is going to kill me now as far as docking goes it's that.

Think I've finally got this docking thing down. To the point I can position myself fairly quickly and enter and exit with a decent amount of speed. The only thing that is an issue is being denied docking at some stations and the NPC or other players (mainly them) almost running into me. Was entering one station last night and another player flew right behind me and rubbed their ship right on top of mine to try and get buy. Didn't even bother to try and slow down, and I was going a decent speed myself, or thrust in a different direction. I just found myself being pushed down as the ship went by. If anything is going to kill me now it's that.

Sounds like they were trying to get in before their ship got scanned.

Kinthalis

Banned
Think I've finally got this docking thing down. To the point I can position myself fairly quickly and enter and exit with a decent amount of speed. The only thing that is an issue is being denied docking at some stations and the NPC or other players (mainly them) almost running into me. Was entering one station last night and another player (I think it was unless I targeted the wrong ship) flew right behind me and rubbed their ship right on top of mine to try and get by. Didn't even bother to try and slow down, and I was going a decent speed myself, or thrust in a different direction. I just found myself being pushed down as the ship went by. If anything is going to kill me now as far as docking goes it's that.

Uhm... that might have been me.

Sorry ;p

Kinthalis

Banned
Sounds like they were trying to get in before their ship got scanned.

I don't really know if I'm the guy he's tlkaing about, but that's exactly what I was tryign to do. Had some illicit cargo on board, and I squeezed past a couple fo ships, but couldn't turn fast enough and bumped some poor third guy.

We need voice comms in this game so I can apologize. :)

Effect

Uhm... that might have been me.

Sorry ;p

Np if it was you. :) I do wish communication was a bit better. I wasn't upset or anything when it happen but would have liked to typed "try to be careful next time". Losing a starting ship isn't a big deal since I think I can get a new one at almost no cost. I was more surprised then anything as I had no clue what was happening at first.

MisterMac

Yup, it must be nearly the top of the list. Its weird to see an MMO without trading between players.

If I were MisterMac I think I'd take a slightly longer but more efficient way to transfer the money: have his brother pick up pirate quests "fetch X, must be stolen", then buy and drop the cargo for him. His brother could get some decent money, buy a Viper and then simply let MisterMac "killsteal" some wanted ships from the sidewinder. He could make his money back fairly quickly and his brother would still have a Viper.

My brother's been mining away so he's got the cash stowed for a Viper. I don't mind losing some credits in the process of a transfer. I'm still 30k in space debt anyway, I just want to have enough money to have a Cobra as soon as I load up in the game and be back in business.

We've tested the abandon cargo thing, it works perfectly and doesn't log as stolen. Your idea sounds great but because we're about to have conflicting schedules as he's moving over the weekend. I think we're gonna have to stick to the cargo haul switch. Your plan sounds way more fun but I'd have to wait about a week or more to find the time to kill steal bounties.

I also really, really, really don't want to fly the Sidewinder again

Giggzy

So my buddy just turned me onto this game over the weekend, and as an astronomy nut, I am loving the hell out of this game. I think this game will be the game that ends all other games for me. I get a tremendous amount of satisfaction just from exploring. And my heart still skips a beat when I exit hyperdrive flying right into a star.

However! I am overwhelmed. What should I be doing to make some nice coin right now? At the moment I'm in the Eravate system looking for unidentifiable signals and picking up the cargo to sell it. I eventually want to do bounty hunting though. Any tips to point me in the right direction?

Qasiel

So my buddy just turned me onto this game over the weekend, and as an astronomy nut, I am loving the hell out of this game. I think this game will be the game that ends all other games for me. I get a tremendous amount of satisfaction just from exploring. And my heart still skips a beat when I exit hyperdrive flying right into a star.

However! I am overwhelmed. What should I be doing to make some nice coin right now? At the moment I'm in the Eravate system looking for unidentifiable signals and picking up the cargo to sell it. I eventually want to do bounty hunting though. Any tips to point me in the right direction?

Trading. I've made more cash in trading than anything else. Do a few Bulletin missions here and there, save up and buy a hauler. Before you know it, especially if you use the tools to help you, you'll have enough cash to trade up for something bigger and better, ship-wise. I went from a Hauler to a Cobra quite quickly and even though I still do a lot of trading in it, I'm using a lot of the spare cash to upgrade it so it's ready to go and have a scrap.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Welcome Commander! I too love simply exploring and cruising around the galaxy taking in the sights. If bounty hunting is what you want to do then I'd suggest buying either an Eagle (good but cheap fighter) or a Viper (better but more costly fighter). The fastest way to get the credits for either of those is by trading. Space trucking. Buy goods in medium or high supply somewhere, take them to where you can sell them at medium or high demand, repeat, profit. Then once in your fighter use the bounty credits to slowly upgrade your ship, or keep space trucking to gain funds for upgrades faster.

I wanted to explore in an Asp from the outset, so I worked my way up the hauling ships by trading like so:

Sidewinder -> Adder -> Cobra -> Type 6 -> Asp

Once I had the Asp I space trucked a bit more to buy a few decent upgrades, and now I'm out in deep space exploring. An Eagle is cheap but a fun ship, wouldn't take you long to get it. The Viper takes a bit longer but isn't bad either. The galaxy is your oyster, enjoy!

MisterMac

What I did was take missions that were low-risk decent reward until I could afford an adder, then I hauled cargo along trade routes and took the odd mission here and there til I could afford a Cobra.

Then I crashed the Cobra 3 times and my progress stopped. I'm almost back in action though!

Wreav

Banned
How do you hail? I want to respond with "Resistance is futile".

Go to your comms panel (2) and place a voice call to the player in that menu.

I use my Logitech G930 with low pitched robot voice. I tell players that "The Reapening has begun" and begin to fire on them.

Go to your comms panel (2) and place a voice call to the player in that menu.

I use my Logitech G930 with low pitched robot voice. I tell players that "The Reapening has begun" and begin to fire on them.

One day I hope to find a youtube video of two different pilots smacktalking, both with sci-fi like voice modulators. :)

Giggzy

Trading. I've made more cash in trading than anything else. Do a few Bulletin missions here and there, save up and buy a hauler. Before you know it, especially if you use the tools to help you, you'll have enough cash to trade up for something bigger and better, ship-wise. I went from a Hauler to a Cobra quite quickly and even though I still do a lot of trading in it, I'm using a lot of the spare cash to upgrade it so it's ready to go and have a scrap.

Welcome Commander! I too love simply exploring and cruising around the galaxy taking in the sights. If bounty hunting is what you want to do then I'd suggest buying either an Eagle (good but cheap fighter) or a Viper (better but more costly fighter). The fastest way to get the credits for either of those is by trading. Space trucking. Buy goods in medium or high supply somewhere, take them to where you can sell them at medium or high demand, repeat, profit. Then once in your fighter use the bounty credits to slowly upgrade your ship, or keep space trucking to gain funds for upgrades faster.

I wanted to explore in an Asp from the outset, so I worked my way up the hauling ships by trading like so:

Sidewinder -> Adder -> Cobra -> Type 6 -> Asp

Once I had the Asp I space trucked a bit more to buy a few decent upgrades, and now I'm out in deep space exploring. An Eagle is cheap but a fun ship, wouldn't take you long to get it. The Viper takes a bit longer but isn't bad either. The galaxy is your oyster, enjoy!

What I did was take missions that were low-risk decent reward until I could afford an adder, then I hauled cargo along trade routes and took the odd mission here and there til I could afford a Cobra.

Then I crashed the Cobra 3 times and my progress stopped. I'm almost back in action though!

Thank you all! This information is what I was looking for!

Wreav

Banned
Voice comms should have the same filter as they use in Battlestar: Galactica. I always loved how that sounded.

They do. See, the fact that people didn't know comms even existed, or had audio effects on top of them shows just how few people use them.

SMH

Skyzard

Banned
They do. See, the fact that people didn't know comms even existed, or had audio effects on top of them shows just how few people use them.

SMH

Haven't used it in a while as previously I was getting server errors half the time I'd try it. I wasn't even able to respond to some people who had just messaged me. Or I'd try to hail and it would say unable to transmit something.

Hopefully that's working a bit better now.

Voice comms is neat to hear but for proper communication (regular with buddies) I still prefer something like mumble as it's so much clearer you won't be asking "what?" every few seconds.

The effect is cool when you hear it though.

Nymerio

SMH

lol nice, I usually play with teamspeak running and when I tried it with a friend he didn't know how to accept my call so we just dropped it :D

jyoung188

I caved and bought this game the other day after looking around for good games to play with my thrustmaster hotas I got for Christmas, and holy shit am I glad I took the plunge. I've just been running low risk hauling missions and doing a few smuggling black box missions here and there, although I still haven't quite figured out the commodities market and trading yet I'm still having a ton of fun. It's like euro truck simulator on a massive scale lol. I put in like 5 hours yesterday alone and a few the night before all in solo mode and I feel I'm starting to get a hang of piloting enough to step in with the masses and not make too big of a fool out of myself haha.

Is there any tips on making profits trading wothout using some out of the game trading calculator tool? I understand buying low at a station with high inventory but how do you know where to sell that to a place that has high demand for it? I still haven't made sense of the import and export view on the map because I've taken goods to a system that says they import it but they offered me a super low price because they had a big stockpile of that particular item already.

Wreav

Banned
lol nice, I usually play with teamspeak running and when I tried it with a friend he didn't know how to accept my call so we just dropped it :D

Same, my buddies and I use steam's group voice chatting. Now, you can get up to 6 people in one voice chat in game i believe.

Mikado

Playing this thing with a trackIR and a properly configured warthog HOTAS is amazing.

The way the side screens pop up when you glance at them is perfection/sogood.gif. Super intuitive. The little white glowy circles on the side console give a visual reference to look towards to trigger the screens.

With all the UI nav buttons mapped to the throttle inputs, one never needs to touch the keyboard at all (except maybe in the galaxy map)
- UI Left/right/up/down on the TAD cursor-ministick-nipple thing
- Page Prev/Next on Radio Switch Aft/Fore
- Cancel/Confirm on Radio Switch Up/Down.

tfw slounging in your seat, idly thumbing through the kill contracts in station like a badass.

mitchman

Gold Member
Your income would be pretty bad compared to upkeep costs.
With a size 5 fuel scoop, I fill my tank in less than a minute. With fuel covered, the running cost of the Python isn't that bad. However, once you start buying modules, cost goes through the roof as expected.

onken

I guess if I kitted out a Cobra or Viper it would be financially viable but as it is now with the ASP the 40 or so ships I've killed (where are the bounties? I get interdicted, kill them and get nothing?)

You need to hit them with the kill warrant scanner before their bounties are revealed, then blast them. Make sure your loadout is ready though because kwc scanners are pretty power hungry.

You need to hit them with the kill warrant scanner before their bounties are revealed, then blast them. Make sure your loadout is ready though because kwc scanners are pretty power hungry.

Ah. OK cool.

Also, where's a good place to buy a ship and outfit it? Like a really good selection of parts and ships. Besides Founders world.

Shifty76

It does depend what type of system you're in too. Everyone shows as clean in Anarchy systems, so only a kws will show bounties.

If you're in a Fed system and someone shows as wanted you still get that bounty if you don't kws them. You do however miss out on any non-Fed bounties they may have had on them.

Wreav

Banned

Quite honestly, I'm finding KWS are fairly useless. It's faster to pop one more baddy in my current system than to jump to another system to collect the pittance the KWS gives me. This all assumes you aren't in an anarchic system of course.

Jedi2016

Yeah, I have a fully upgraded Asp and it negates the need for a T6. Even has more Cargo with shields. I think the Asp is a great trader/fighter until you get to a Clipper or T7, I'm probably going Clipper, I really didn't enjoy the T6 at all, it got me where I needed to be for sure though. I'm actually thinking of just saving up so I can keep the Asp and the Clipper, just not sure.
I'm kitting the Asp for long distance and full-bore exploration. I ran the numbers on that Shipyard website, and I think I'm only going to end up with around 40t cargo space (my Type-6 has 100). The Type-6 will be traded in for a Type-7 and eventually a Type-9 for ongoing trade runs whenever I need cash.

Kyoufu

After a little while you will wonder why you ever played without a stick. I'm LOVING my X-55. And my TrackIR has shipped, should get it in a day or two. :D

Right now I'm wondering if I should go back to the controller. :s

I'll have to do some major tweaking tomorrow but my current profile isn't getting the job done.

I'm kitting the Asp for long distance and full-bore exploration. I ran the numbers on that Shipyard website, and I think I'm only going to end up with around 40t cargo space (my Type-6 has 100). The Type-6 will be traded in for a Type-7 and eventually a Type-9 for ongoing trade runs whenever I need cash.

You keep ships? I was thinking of doing that but didn't want to get stranded if I traveled to far but it's probably not that big of a deal.

Jedi2016

You keep ships? I was thinking of doing that but didn't want to get stranded if I traveled to far but it's probably not that big of a deal.
Just two for now. I still have my Cobra, I'll be trading that up when I buy the Asp.

It just occurred to me that storing a ship at a station essentially locks you to that station forever.. lol. When I leave with my Cobra to buy the Asp, I'll have to leave the Type-6 there... And whenever I return for trading, I'll have to leave my Asp there.. hehe.

I know, there's ways around it, but it still caught me for a second. Long haul for exploration considering that the station in question is Galileo.. as damn near the center of human territory as you can get.

Just two for now. I still have my Cobra, I'll be trading that up when I buy the Asp.

It just occurred to me that storing a ship at a station essentially locks you to that station forever.. lol. When I leave with my Cobra to buy the Asp, I'll have to leave the Type-6 there... And whenever I return for trading, I'll have to leave my Asp there.. hehe.

I know, there's ways around it, but it still caught me for a second. Long haul for exploration considering that the station in question is Galileo.. as damn near the center of human territory as you can get.

Yea I've thought about this too, since I have a Type6 in storage right now in Ho Hsi. We need player-run Orca transportation from station to station. Or even just NPC controlled...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom