• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bollocks!!! Finally got to a Type 7, loaded it up jumped to a far away star looking at 300k+ profit. "Docking Request Denied" can't dock at platforms! Look at fuel, look at Galaxy map, no bigger landing pads in the system and can't make it to one for refuel. Sitting with 1,000,000+ cargo in my hold and an insurance bill of 800k, which will leave me with 300k and a very careful future in trading.

Why the hell is the Type 7 a large pad? Other ships have bigger cargo capacity and yet can dock at medium pads.

- Add produced by and consumbed by information to all trade goods (except rares)

Anybody in game able to elaborate on this?

Bollocks!!! Finally got to a Type 7, loaded it up jumped to a far away star looking at 300k+ profit. "Docking Request Denied" can't dock at platforms! Look at fuel, look at Galaxy map, no bigger landing pads in the system and can't make it to one for refuel. Sitting with 1,000,000+ cargo in my hold and an insurance bill of 800k, which will leave me with 300k and a very careful future in trading.

Why the hell is the Type 7 a large pad? Other ships have bigger cargo capacity and yet can dock at medium pads.

Oh man, that sucks. It's definitely a large pad, not sure why when the Python can hold more ... but damn.

Shifty76

They did say they'll look at reducing the costs of operating high end ships so maybe the Python won't be as expensive to run next patch.

Just crossed 18 million assets, saving up a bit more for a T7.

I'm based in Leesti with ally status there, still running palladium from HIP 65636. The missions are sometimes worthwhile (e.g. tobacco for 275k) but usuaĺly aren't worth doing over another trade haul. For a long play session saving a bunch of missions and doing them all at once would be worthwhile though. I take the requests for extraction type goods of course since those are on the route already.

I was doing that loop but found a slightly more profitable one. Still use HIP 65636 but swap out Leesti for something else which I can't recall the name of. It's ~19ly from HIP so doable in one jump and gives ~80/t more profit each way plus half the fuel cost. Large pop high tech system...I'll look it up when I get home.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
1.04 changlog, it's SO awesome that they updated the new Kepler exoplanets only 2 days after their discovery was announced!

"Fix only the first consequence being applied to the universe state when completing a mission"

Well shit, that explains why Jet Comms was in the boom state and influences weren't changing.

QA8bq11.png

Time for Ho Hsi round 2.

I was doing that loop but found a slightly more profitable one. Still use HIP 65636 but swap out Leesti for something else which I can't recall the name of. It's ~19ly from HIP so doable in one jump and gives ~80/t more profit each way plus half the fuel cost. Large pop high tech system...I'll look it up when I get home.

Yep, there were a few better ones. I was specifically using Leesti because I wanted to build the faction rating there. Since that seems to not be as valuable as I hoped, I'll hop over to a better route like that now.

Wreav

Banned
My buddy and I saw our first other human commander in 27 G. Caeli last night. Safe to say, he didn't survive long.

Our system is averaging 20 ships passing through a day, so new faces are quite rare!

X-Kalibur

What the..! Today I'm having the worst lag ever.

I was with my Viper at a nav point with full hull and shields and all of a sudden, the game freezes and the next thing I see is my ship exploding from what I guess has been somebody crashing with me.

Any good dogfighting sites near LHS 3446?

Skyzard

Banned
- When deciding if we should go hostile to a faction we just shot, consider whether the target has a local bounty rather than a bounty with their own faction. Prevent people being attacked by the police after attack nearby wanted targets

Very nice.

Seems like they are still insisting on the bounty if you accidentally tag a system vessel while fighting another ship though.

Skyzard

Banned
Am I the only one who doesn't understand their wording?

They're speaking the language of the game code now :p

..yeah it's pretty tough lol, they should get someone to read over that stuff.

That fix is for when you attack a player who is labelled as wanted, but might be in some way allied or friendly with the system police. Now the police shouldn't turn on you for going after them.

Wreav

Banned
Am I the only one who doesn't understand their wording?

You're in empire space, and there's an empire ship that is wanted in empire space, and there are empire security forces around.

Now, you can pop the wanted perp, and the local smokies won't get mad at you.

Dat "Hight" typo.

Obviously their type set editor was hight as hell when that happened.

Thanks!

That's actually really helpful. I will say I use Thrudds mostly for my trading, there's a DB error I get when trying to track/log in Slopeys and with the manual alt/tabbed versions, it doesn't work with where I play. I'd love to take notes (and I do on a manual notepad .. lol, manual) but it just takes too much time. I think once I'm in a ship I want, with decent credits in the bank I'll continue to trade a lot, but I'll do it more casually and stop looking at c/h and more c/t.

Nymerio

You're in empire space, and there's an empire ship that is wanted in empire space, and there are empire security forces around.

Now, you can pop the wanted perp, and the local smokies won't get mad at you.

For really slow people: Does this also mean you won't take a reputation hit?

Damn, a fully decked out Asp is 52m, looks like I have a few days of tradin' before I head out on my murder spree.

Is it worth it for the 6A shield over the 5A? I read that shield post where people found out certain stats but I'm not sure if the 10m is worth it.

NVM, found this, pretty helpful:

Not sure what MJ is, it's linked from this page on reddit

Looks like a 6C will give me a 5A results and I can slowly work towards the other one, drops the price to 38m and gets me out in space. I'm going to dock my kitted T7 at Sol and journey out. Maybe I'll upgrade to the Python or T9 one day but reading about the T9 I think it's not worth it in the long run. I don't like trading in really slow ships and that one sounds like an oil tanker in sand.

Gatdamnit, I'm min/max'n which I said I wouldn't do in games!

Peterthumpa

Wouldn't be great if they added some kind of "browser mirroring" in one of the cockpits screens, so you could browse the web while inside the ship on auto docking operations, for example?

That with an Oculus Rift would be kind of amazing.

Wouldn't be great if they added some kind of "browser mirroring" in one of the cockpits screens, so you could browse the web while inside the ship on auto docking operations, for example?

That with an Oculus Rift would be kind of amazing.

You could probably set a window to "Always on Top" and just place it somewhere, it wouldn't be 'skewed' but I've seen it work for video for monitor uses.

Rift would be tough, it's hard to even navigate Redtube ... I mean, NeoGAF with the text in my DK2.

What's a good system to be in for some space fisticuffs? I'm on a fresh save and looking to get accustomed to combat with my stick for the first time since I got it. I'm happy to have the crap shot out of me for being terrible at the game as long as I can go crazy without getting a bounty.

Raticus79

Not sure what MJ is, it's linked from this page on reddit

Megajoules, a unit of energy.

"The megajoule (MJ) is equal to one million joules, or approximately the kinetic energy of a one megagram (tonne) vehicle moving at 160 km/h."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule#Megajoule

Great chart! So the Asp can have better shields than the viper after all (although the viper is stronger if both are class 3 since it has a better base strength). That makes me feel a bit better about rolling in the battle-asp when I head back to Ho Hsi later. Time to find out how many beam weapons it can sustain with a fully upgraded power plant and distributor.

Science Stuff

Great chart! So the Asp can have better shields than the viper after all. That makes me feel a bit better about rolling in the battle-asp when I head back to Ho Hsi later. Time to find out how many beam weapons it can sustain with a fully upgraded power plant and distributor.

Ah, cool to know.

The problem with those 6A shields is the 15m price tag ... although 6C is A LOT cheaper, so that would be a good placeholder while you worked from there. EDIT: I don't even think a Class 6 shield is worth it now that I think of it. Barely a jump from the Class 5.

Trying to figure out a 'home' system to park my T7 when I eventually have enough for an Asp. Just not sure where ... I'm thinking Sol. Any packed High Tech areas that have a ton of parts/ships available? I wish there was a non-founder Founders world, all the great stuff without the discount.

Leesti / George Lucas is a pretty good spot to use as a home base. It's a wealthy/huge high tech station. It doesn't sell everything, but I don't think any individual station does.

For the Ho Hsi area, Kokojina/Ali Ring.

Interesting, will probably make my way there then. Hopefully some decent trade routes around that area.

Raticus79

Leesti / George Lucas is a pretty good spot to use as a home base. It's a wealthy/huge high tech station. It doesn't sell everything, but I don't think any individual station does.

For the Ho Hsi area, Kokojina/Ali Ring.

That system I'm trading in has everything. 13 ships (incl the first Anaconda I've seen for sale) as well as all the parts for them.

Large high tech system near Leesti. 19 ly from HIP 65636. Might be that Yakabogay...jambalaya...something like that anyway. I'll check when I get home :)

Ah, that sounds promising, I'll keep an eye out for that.

X-Kalibur

I have an Eagle for the super-fun Bounty. Should I buy a Viper?

I was very happy with my eagle and then I upgraded to a Viper. This thing is heavy and its maneuverability sucks. Not to say that for being a fighter, the canopy is rather small and blocks vertical vision so it's harder to keep track of targets. I'm seriously thinking of going back to an eagle.

Shifty76

Trying to figure out a 'home' system to park my T7 when I eventually have enough for an Asp. Just not sure where ... I'm thinking Sol. Any packed High Tech areas that have a ton of parts/ships available? I wish there was a non-founder Founders world, all the great stuff

That system I'm trading in has everything. 13 ships (incl the first Anaconda I've seen for sale) as well as all the parts for them.

Large high tech system near Leesti. 19 ly from HIP 65636. Might be that Yakabogay...jambalaya...something like that anyway. I'll check when I get home :)

Kyoufu

Megajoules, a unit of energy.

"The megajoule (MJ) is equal to one million joules, or approximately the kinetic energy of a one megagram (tonne) vehicle moving at 160 km/h."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule#Megajoule

Great chart! So the Asp can have better shields than the viper after all (although the viper is stronger if both are class 3 since it has a better base strength). That makes me feel a bit better about rolling in the battle-asp when I head back to Ho Hsi later. Time to find out how many beam weapons it can sustain with a fully upgraded power plant and distributor.

Let me know how that goes. I'm tempted to slot in more lasers so I don't have to fly back for ammo.

Edit: Hopefully grouping works as intended now. Going to do some R.E.S. and/or Nav Beacon farming.

Wreav

Banned
Let me know how that goes. I'm tempted to slot in more lasers so I don't have to fly back for ammo.

Edit: Hopefully grouping works as intended now. Going to do some R.E.S. and/or Nav Beacon farming.

Grouping was vary rarely broken for me and my crew. Occasionally, one of us would have to drop out of SC and hop back in to see the other, but on a whole, we've always been able to follow each other through interdiction wakes and farm the navs/extractions together.

Cimarron

My X-52 arrived last night! What a learing curve though! I had just goten used to playing with a 360 control pad and now I feel like a nood again. I guess I will just stick with the training missions until I readjust. No need to crash up my ship!

BTW does anyone have anysuggestions for good binding profiles for the X-52 and Voice Attack? Thanks.

Tendo

My X-52 arrived last night! What a learing curve though! I had just goten used to playing with a 360 control pad and now I feel like a nood again. I guess I will just stick with the training missions until I readjust. No need to crash up my ship!

BTW does anyone have anysuggestions for good binding profiles for the X-52 and Voice Attack? Thanks.

Awesome! My x55 should be here today. I have wanted a flight stick and space sim since playing x-wing and red baron back in the early 90's. Childhood dream achieved!

Tfault

Has anyone managed to get VAC voice control software fully working with Elite? I can get basic functions like gear up/down working perfectly, but just can't seem to do things like full power to shields or engines.

Has anyone managed to get VAC voice control software fully working with Elite? I can get basic functions like gear up/down working perfectly, but just can't seem to do things like full power to shields or engines.

If it's anything like Voice Attack, you'll probably need to assign a secondary assignment to w/e joystick command (or KB) command you use to actually hit left/right/up/down to assign pips (that's what you're talking about right, the little dots under the big 3 system bars?). By secondary command, I mean in Voice Attack, you can't assign "joystick" presses, I use an X55, so I have to secondary assign a Keyboard key. If you are using the KB in conjunction with something it may already be assigned to an actual key.

I messed around with it and found it's just easier for me to do it manually with my thumb HAT on my stick. But basically, it's 4 no matter how many are there and you need to have it as a sequence. Kind of like programming a docking request (greatest thing ever).

But I'm not familiar with VAC or if it's similar to VA, but if you can program multiple presses/pauses and such, it shouldn't be a problem, just find out which button is actually being pressed for menu driven actions while in flight mode.

I believe it's "Power Management" or something.

EDIT: Here we go

Under Miscellaneous, the "Divert Power to ____". You need to make sure it's multiple presses though, one for each PIP, so the macro should be UUUU or DDDD or LLLL or RRRR, not sure about a pause in there but a .1 should work if needed.

Tfault

Thanks for the quick response. I'm the opposite and have not used VA, but believe they are similar.

Yes, the pips is the thing. With VAC you can send a string of characters with delays in between, which is what I have been trying, but without success. Have tried different delays, but again failed.

Most frustrating! Will keep banging my head.

Edit: Ahhh, just saw your update and that could very well be the solution, thanks. Will give it a try later on today.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm the opposite and have not used VA, but believe they are similar.

Yes, the pips is the thing. With VAC you can send a string of characters with delays in between, which is what I have been trying, but without success. Have tried different delays, but again failed.

Most frustrating! Will keep banging my head.

Edit: Ahhh, just saw your update and that could very well be the solution, thanks. Will give it a try later on today.

Are you using a keyboard for the command in general? It may be reading it like when you hit AWSD and just as one continuous press if you programmed it to hit AAAA all in succession, it may not register it as 4 separate presses without the 0.1 delay or something. I know if I just hold the joystick button to the L/R/U it won't "fill them" like I'm pressing it multiple times. It may even be a Windows thing.

Tfault

Are you using a keyboard for the command in general? It may be reading it like when you hit AWSD and just as one continuous press if you programmed it to hit AAAA all in succession, it may not register it as 4 separate presses without the 0.1 delay or something. I know if I just hold the joystick button to the L/R/U it won't "fill them" like I'm pressing it multiple times. It may even be a Windows thing.

Damn, Elite is updating to 1.04 currently so can't check my setup. I normally use the hat on the X52 pro to change the power setting, but remapped the setting to use E, so sending E with VAC. In VAC test mode it shows an EEEE when I say 'Engines Full' so would suggest VAC is correct.

Will test again once Elite has updated.

Scala

I was very happy with my eagle and then I upgraded to a Viper. This thing is heavy and its maneuverability sucks. Not to say that for being a fighter, the canopy is rather small and blocks vertical vision so it's harder to keep track of targets. I'm seriously thinking of going back to an eagle.
Thanks for the info. I'll upgrade my precious Eagle then. :)

Damn, Elite is updating to 1.04 currently so can't check my setup. I normally use the hat on the X52 pro to change the power setting, but remapped the setting to use E, so sending E with VAC. In VAC test mode it shows an EEEE when I say 'Engines Full' so would suggest VAC is correct.

Will test again once Elite has updated.

There might also be a game delay for moving them. I'd account for that too.

Not sure if this has been posted yet:

Hi everyone,

As promised in an earlier post we want to provide more visibility on what we have planned for Elite: Dangerous over the coming months. We have some exciting times ahead and while I can’t reveal everything that’s coming we will provide regular updates regarding what we’re working on and what’s coming up. The plans for releases are being finalised now that the team is back from the holidays, but we will share these with you as we progress through the coming year.

Our first commitment is supporting the game with regular updates. This won’t just be the fixes and tweaking we’ve provided since release but will also add new features and content. Examples of this are Wings and associated multiplayer features, as well as the additional ships mentioned in recent newsletters. We’re proud of the fantastic game that we released before Christmas but intend to keep growing and developing it. To make this happen we’re expanding the team working on the game so that we can maintain a regular schedule of updates as well as working on paid expansions.

We’ll also be having beta test periods for these major updates and access to these will be open to players who already have beta access for the game. More details on this will be revealed in the coming weeks.

Regarding Elite: Dangerous on other platforms, as you know we have already been working on putting the native Mac version of the game together and as expected this should enter beta in about three months time. As the beta date is firmed up we’ll keep you updated.

Thanks!

Michael

Emphasis mine. But that would be pretty cool and a nice incentive for Beta backers (hopefully not just Alpha backers).

Anyone can suggest a good fighting ground? I can't even find an anarchic system anywhere near me by the looks of it and I also can't tell which systems have ports etc in them. It's been a while since I played but wow things seem to have changed a lot since my last visit, I hardly know how to navigate anymore.

bj00rn_

Banned
I closed a mission in Wolf 1409 with my Cobra, probably got around 20,000Cr out of it.. and decided to try take down a couple of wanted ships in a nearby resource extraction site as a last thing before going to bed. 10 minutes later I had raked in 180,000Cr, and my ship didn't have much more than a paint-scratch..

Pinkuss

I've just after watching a few youtube clips/some reviews gone for this. Had a little go on the training mission messing around and I'm quite excited about getting stuck in over the weekend.

Two questions; is keyboard and mouse better than a 360 pad? (and can I invert the Y axis yaw without inverting the left and right turning).

Also, how much better would a flightstick be for this? (is it a necessity).

Tfault

There might also be a game delay for moving them. I'd account for that too.

Thanks for your help piranha, seems to be working now. Not sure that I changed anything really, but after the 1.04 update it sprung into life.

Now all I need is a sexy voice wav to say 'Engines full commander' :)

Next test 'Balance Power'!

Two questions; is keyboard and mouse better than a 360 pad? (and can I invert the Y axis yaw without inverting the left and right turning).

Also, how much better would a flightstick be for this? (is it a necessity).

I almost exclusively play with a 360 controller. Only reaching over to the keyboard when navigating the map if I'm searching for a system by name. I'm pretty sure you can invert just the y axis yaw and it wouldn't invert the turning.

Flight stick would probably still be better but I haven't tried it yet... I might have to though just because it would be awesome.

Thanks for your help piranha, seems to be working now. Not sure that I changed anything really, but after the 1.04 update it sprung into life.

Now all I need is a sexy voice wav to say 'Engines full commander' :)

Next test 'Balance Power'!

Ha, yeah, finding the commands is fun. I had "engage" for FSD but then I'd have to say it again to turn them off, so I changed it to "warp".

For those that change the colors on your HUD, and those that don't actually, did you notice in Super Cruise that the sweet spot wasn't marked with Orange anymore? Or did I change the colors for everything or something?

EDIT: yeah, i must have changed all of them, the different ranks are almost all the same color.

Ronnie

Banned
Anyone having any trouble with DK2 since 1.04? I've just put it on and had to put it down it was so choppy even just looking around the galaxy map. Best word I can use to describe looking around is 'juddery'. Anyone else finding this or have any tips to fix it?

owlbeak

Haven't played for a few days, waiting for a new power supply to come in so I can use a GTX Titan that was given to me (!!!). Looking forward to trying to stir shit up in Ho Hsi again, now that ALL the effects work. :D

How do you do the missions where you have to find rebel transmissions? I've traveled to the unexplored system where they supposedly are, but I'm flying aimlessly finding nothing. Am I supposed to drop supercruise by the primary star and just look around? I'm lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom