• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically always hunt in Anarchy systems? And try and find a spot that's close to an Empire hub and a Federation hub so you don't have to travel too far to turn it in?

Can you receive bounties in Anarchy systems? As in, if you just start killing people will you get a bounty on your head?

Anarchy is the fucking wild west, do what you want.

As far as hunting/turning in bounties outside of anarchy/deep space, if you're at a nav beacon or extraction site that's in fed/emp/ali space and you lock a target that's wanted in system, use the kill warrant scanner on them anyway, chances are they will have bounties in more than one jurisdiction.

I'm not sure I understand.. Why are they showing as wanted if they are clean? Edit: Wait, I understand. But shouldn't it rather state that the person isn't wanted in this particular system or something?

It's left up to the player to pay attention. When you first lock a target and face their general direction your ship will do a quick scan that will tell you their name, faction and if they are wanted in that current system or not. If after locking them they read as clean and you use the warrant scanner on them it logically follows that any bounty that shows up will be in another jurisdiction.

Tendo

I was a bit nervous choosing the X52 Pro over the X55 because I kinda wanted the X55 the most. But reading about them on the net there was a tiny tiny consensus for the X52 Pro, and now after having had it for a little while I'm glad that I chose it (well, I mean..; relative to the fact that I haven't tried the X55 myself..), It's a really solid great HOTAS. And good riddance to my old X45, I feared that I would hate the twist yaw compared to the throttle flaps, but it's fine!

Yeah, I almost just went with the x52 pro just to ensure throttle support in x wing and tie fighter but I'll just remap that to buttons.

My biggest concern was which one "looked" cooler. I think they both look rad!

bj00rn_

Banned
Anarchy is the fucking wild west, do what you want.

As far as hunting/turning in bounties outside of anarchy/deep space, if you're at a nav beacon or extraction site that's in fed/emp/ali space and you lock a target that's wanted in system, use the kill warrant scanner on them anyway, chances are they will have bounties in more than one jurisdiction.

It's left up to the player to pay attention. When you first lock a target and face their general direction your ship will do a quick scan that will tell you their name, faction and if they are wanted in that current system or not. If after locking them they read as clean and you use the warrant scanner on them it logically follows that any bounty that shows up will be in another jurisdiction.

I'm confused. So these won't have an inital wanted status..? Because if so then I misunderstood, because I've several times became wanted by shooting at ships with a clear wanted status. I thought it was just because I hit another ship, but I'm not so sure anymore. It happen again a couple of days ago, and this time I tried my best to make sure I didn't hit another visible ship, still I got a fine and a wanted status..

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Oho, they changed their minds. No more lottery winners.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=94161

Hello Commanders,

I’m back again, but with a smaller update tonight – let’s get straight to it!

Bug Status

The usual assortment of server side fixes have been deployed today – nothing too specific to call out here. We’re still making progress with 1.04 for this week which does also include further server side updates – including some fixes for exploration! We’ll let you know when this rolls out. Otherwise, things seem stable and happy in “server land”.

The “Billionaires”

Firstly, I just want to clarify who I mean by the “Billionaires”. These are the very few commanders who received large amounts of credits due to a bug in our credit refund process following our brief database hiccup. These credits were not given by a bug in our server – more in the tools and processes we use to rectify commanders and their saves if something goes awry. This was of course fixed, should we need to use the tools again.

Secondly... we hear you! After initially deciding we would offer the choice to these affected commanders about whether to keep their credits or reset themselves to their pre-credit-refund state; commanders in the community questioned whether this would affect the integrity of the game and the wider galaxy. In light of this (and after much deliberation) we have decided to remove all credits, assets and gains from these commanders to balance the playing field. We shall be contacting the affected commanders directly to reflect this change in our decision. Which leads us nicely into...

The “Exploiters”

We are aware of the few exploits which existed for commanders to get credit advantages over other players. We have since patched these exploits to avoid further abuse. Over the next few days we shall be removing all credits and assets gained from these exploits. We have also updated our code of conduct to be completely clear on our stance on cheating, abusing exploits and hacking. This can be read here: https://store.elitedangerous.com/code-of-conduct.

I'll be back tomorrow, as ever, with more updates, including progress on the much asked for server status page.

Fly safe commanders,

Andrew Barlow

Yeah, I almost just went with the x52 pro just to ensure throttle support in x wing and tie fighter but I'll just remap that to buttons.

My biggest concern was which one "looked" cooler. I think they both look rad!

I actually liked the look of the X52Pro better but having dual throttles for future use and seeing a lot of the negative reviews were mainly due to QA, I went with the X55.

You can find reviews/videos that lean either way and you really can't go wrong with either. I wanted more buttons though, and the X55 has a ton.

EDIT:

Looks like Occupy Sol worked, the billionaires are being stripped. That's good overall for the game I think. Adds a bit of credibility to it.

Raticus79

Hmm...wonder what their cutoff value will be for rolling people back.

I made around 15m from the cargo bug which put me in an Asp which I then made another 10m with legit to fully equip.

Hope I don't lose it - I like my Asp. Still...easy come, easy go.

I'm genuinely curious to see what happens with mine. I wound up about a million ahead, then lost that and then some due to self-destructing to fix my cargo. If they rolled back what I gained, I'd be in debt since I don't have enough of a float to cover that right now.

The repo man cometh for us all.

So I just tried Private Group mode with a fellow GAFer and it didn't work. Is it borked?

Anything multiplayer is pretty borked right now. A few people have tried it and they'll both "chase" an NPC, only to drop in and not be able to see the target, etc ... Or one could be shooting and the other is invisible. Lots of issues.

Faith

Found a 10min trade route with 2250CR/ton profit. Fuel is 3000 CR for my Type 6 and with 104T cargo I get 231.000CR/run. 1.386.000 CR/hour with 104T.

I could ditch the shields and get to 1.494.000 CR/hour. Is it worth the risk?

Found a 10min trade route with 2250CR/ton profit. Fuel is 3000 CR for my Type 6 and with 104T cargo I get 231.000CR/run. 1.386.000 CR/hour with 104T.

Not really. But I died in my T6 once and vowed never again.

Kyoufu

Nope, keeeeep shields.

I think I need to find a new route as it's nowhere near as good as yours.

Faith

Not really. But I died in my T6 once and vowed never again.
Thanks for your post btw, I forgot to read it.

I don't like the jumprange of the Type7. It would mean that I need an additional jump, so I'm losing 1 trip per hour.

So when is the time to upgrade to the ASP? I want max. cargo and FSD with 18LY laden or more. How much money do I need, 12mio?

After seeing it mentioned on Galnet, I traveled from Federation space down to Ongkuma. I'm not Empire or Fed aligned, I consider myself an independent merc and will fight for whom ever pays me.

Upon arrival I was greeted by a CMDR Vyvien who questioned my allegiance (and maybe rightly so). After chatting for a minute with this CMDR, I docked at Pickering and called it a night, planning to fight tonight after work.

However I've just read that the fight is all but over, bit of a shame as I traveled 200LY for it! Apparently there was a large concentration of commanders there too.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I was a bit nervous choosing the X52 Pro over the X55 because I kinda wanted the X55 the most. But reading about them on the net there was a tiny tiny consensus for the X52 Pro, and now after having had it for a little while I'm glad that I chose it (well, I mean..; relative to the fact that I haven't tried the X55 myself..), It's a really solid great HOTAS. And good riddance to my old X45, I feared that I would hate the twist yaw compared to the throttle flaps, but it's fine!

So you prefer the X52 Pro to your old X45? I'm still on an X45.

Yeah no kidding, esp when decelerating. Sounds like a big ol' muscle car.

Yep, I think it sounds like an angry snarling WW2 bomber myself. I love it!

X-Kalibur

Which are your preferred systems? I'm usually at Yakabugai or LTT 18486 but I'd like to be somewhere where I could meet some fellow gaffers.

Saganator

Playing with the outfitting tool planning out the Asp I'm going to buy. Are people with 96+ cargo on an Asp using a Class 3 shield generator instead of 5? Unless the tool is inaccurate, the only way to get over 96 cargo in Asp is running Class 3 shields, this correct?

I still don't know what to do in this game. Outside of the Beta all I seem to do now is boot it up for 5 minutes of flying then wonder what I should do and quit to desktop. It really sucks because I want to love the game but the amount of time I seem to spend in supercruise and generally doing nothing keep turning me away again.

X-Kalibur

I still don't know what to do in this game. Outside of the Beta all I seem to do now is boot it up for 5 minutes of flying then wonder what I should do and quit to desktop. It really sucks because I want to love the game but the amount of time I seem to spend in supercruise and generally doing nothing keep turning me away again.

I first started trading but I lost money and got bored. Then I went to a system with a resource extraction site near a fed outpost and I go there for dogfighting so I've become a bounty hunter.

Try different things until you find one that you like.

Kyoufu

Playing with the outfitting tool planning out the Asp I'm going to buy. Are people with 96+ cargo on an Asp using a Class 3 shield generator instead of 5? Unless the tool is inaccurate, the only way to get over 96 cargo in Asp is running Class 3 shields, this correct?

That is correct. 116 tons is what I currently have. If I didn't use a docking computer I could have 120 or so.

I first started trading but I lost money and got bored. Then I went to a system with a resource extraction site near a fed outpost and I go there for dogfighting so I've become a bounty hunter.

Try different things until you find one that you like.

Yeah I was thinking I may go bounty hunter or even just full pirate. I've tried most non-combat methods of making money and got tired of them pretty fast. Only trouble is I really suck at the fighting and I'm still getting used to my HOTAS so I've kinda been dodging it. Guess it's time to get gud since I've got no credits or ship to lose.

Raticus79

Yup, I'm running my Asp with 120 cargo and class 3 shields. Since I'm running solo while grinding trade routes, I just had to protect against occasional station bumps. Class 3 is enough for that purpose.

Kyoufu

Any tips for keeping track of your target during a dogfight when your radar consists of a lot of other ships? Extraction Sites are really busy which makes it hard to know where the incoming damage is coming from :s

Jedi2016

Any tips for keeping track of your target during a dogfight when your radar consists of a lot of other ships? Extraction Sites are really busy which makes it hard to know where the incoming damage is coming from :s
The target is bracketed on the radar, so it will look like <&#8962;>. I sometimes have trouble locking onto what's shooting at me, because I forgot how I had my HOTAS buttons mapped.. hehe. There's an option to "target hostile", which will target anything that's shot at you in the last few seconds.

What are the preferred ships for exploration expeditions? Right now I'm still low on funds and trying to earn cash for the best system and surface scanners, and flying the starting Sidewinder with a fuel scoop and outfitted so I can jump about 14 LY at a time.

Xanezz

Banned
What are the preferred ships for exploration expeditions? Right now I'm still low on funds and trying to earn cash for the best system and surface scanners, and flying the starting Sidewinder with a fuel scoop and outfitted so I can jump about 14 LY at a time.

Eagle is prob your best bet for super low budget exploration, you'll have to drop your shields though, internals are pretty limited on it.

Saganator

Your current target has < > around it. Just focus on that is all I can really say. Seems to work well enough for me.

The target is bracketed on the radar, so it will look like <&#8962;>. I sometimes have trouble locking onto what's shooting at me, because I forgot how I had my HOTAS buttons mapped.. hehe. There's an option to "target hostile", which will target anything that's shot at you in the last few seconds.

Your current target has < > around it. Just focus on that is all I can really say. Seems to work well enough for me.

On top of what the other guys said, ships that are attacking you will flash white on your radar as well.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
That is correct. 116 tons is what I currently have. If I didn't use a docking computer I could have 120 or so.

What sort of advantage do you feel the docking computer gives you? I am curious if it is faster or if it is just super safe so you can alt/tab out or go get a drink or something.

Kyoufu

What sort of advantage do you feel the docking computer gives you? I am curious if it is faster or if it is just super safe so you can alt/tab out or go get a drink or something.

Docking manually will always be faster but it's not something I enjoy doing during trade runs. As the computer docks I load up the galaxy map and plot route for the return trip and maybe alt tab to look for better routes/ browse GAF, etc.

mitchman

Gold Member
So basically always hunt in Anarchy systems? And try and find a spot that's close to an Empire hub and a Federation hub so you don't have to travel too far to turn it in?

Can you receive bounties in Anarchy systems? As in, if you just start killing people will you get a bounty on your head?

I've been making around 700-800k/hour doing bounty hunting in anarchy systems without any station. Find a gas planet with rings around it, head for the rings and escape warp just outside and npc will spawn very regularly (3 seconds after one is killed, the next spawns). Be prepared as every 10 or so is a python or anaconda, and sometimes they are expert or higher.
Bounties seemed to level off after an hour so not sure if it's sustainable at that income rate, but it seems to be able to compare with trade income with the right ship. I use a Python.

Bust Nak

H key targets the guy shooting at you.

I've been making around 700-800k/hour doing bounty hunting in anarchy systems without any station. Find a gas planet with rings around it, head for the rings and escape warp just outside and npc will spawn very regularly (3 seconds after one is killed, the next spawns). Be prepared as every 10 or so is a python or anaconda, and sometimes they are expert or higher.
Bounties seemed to level off after an hour so not sure if it's sustainable at that income rate, but it seems to be able to compare with trade income with the right ship. I use a Python.

Cool, how do you Luke the Python? What are the running costs and like 50% hull damage cost?

I think I'm OK with targeting but it's just not visible enough on the radar when there's like 20 other ships. I'll try an extraction site again and see how I manage the clusterfuck.

You can zoom in/out with the scanner. Think you have an X55 so just assign UP/DOWN to one of the dials. (In case you didnt know about range)

mitchman

Gold Member
Cool, how do you Luke the Python? What are the running costs and like 50% hull damage cost?

I love the ship. It's great in every way except for jump range. There are ways to increase the range by using undersized modules (eg. use a A5 power module instead of the size 7). I currently run it in a combat fitted setup with 156 tonn cargo space but otherwise fitted for combat with a 17.4ly laden range.
I don't do normal trading, only rare trading (probably less lucrative now, but far less grindy). With the combat fitting, I can easily hand around doing bounties whereever I am located.
As for damage, try to avoid that :) I've only ever gotten 2% damaged and that was around 30k or so, afair. Obviously, use a size 5+ shield cell bank to avoid damage, but that doesn't help for the accidental heat damage fuel scooping might introduce.
Oh, and a fuel scoop is mandatory too.

I love the ship. It's great in every way except for jump range. There are ways to increase the range by using undersized modules (eg. use a A5 power module instead of the size 7). I currently run it in a combat fitted setup with 156 tonn cargo space but otherwise fitted for combat with a 17.4ly laden range.
I don't do normal trading, only rare trading (probably less lucrative now, but far less grindy). With the combat fitting, I can easily hand around doing bounties whereever I am located.
As for damage, try to avoid that :) I've only ever gotten 2% damaged and that was around 30k or so, afair. Obviously, use a size 5+ shield cell bank to avoid damage, but that doesn't help for the accidental heat damage fuel scooping might introduce.
Oh, and a fuel scoop is mandatory too.

My good god man. 2% = 30k? You're taking a Bugatti into a Destruction Derby!

May have to temper my expectations and stick to my T7/DatAsp plan. I was thinking of getting the Python but I didn't realize it was so 1%.

Did you ever get a T9? I'm addicted to trading, not sure why, I had an Asp and plenty of cash to do what I wanted and killed a bunch of pirates (unfortunately never scanned them so didn't get any bounties .. )... but that ever mighty credit just keeps calling calling ...

I think I might get a Type 9, then roam in an Asp. I was aiming for the Clipper, to do some missions for rep and such but I've read that the Hardpoints are poorly placed, plus the Asp has those 4 all in front and it feels like Star Wars when firing all 4. Python might be too rich for my blood for combat.

mitchman

Gold Member
I'm not a big fan of normal trading, so whether I will ever get a T9 or not depends on how much I want that Anaconda. I did try some mining last night but it was frustrating as hell (scooping sucks with it), which is when I saw some nice NPC anaconda flying around and decided to try that instead.

Raticus79

They did say they'll look at reducing the costs of operating high end ships so maybe the Python won't be as expensive to run next patch.

Just crossed 18 million assets, saving up a bit more for a T7.

I'm based in Leesti with ally status there, still running palladium from HIP 65636. The missions are sometimes worthwhile (e.g. tobacco for 275k) but usua&#314;ly aren't worth doing over another trade haul. For a long play session saving a bunch of missions and doing them all at once would be worthwhile though. I take the requests for extraction type goods of course since those are on the route already.

They did say they'll look at reducing the costs of operating high end ships so maybe the Python won't be as expensive to run next patch.

That would be nice. Just seems like it would be "go fight, now trade, go fight, now trade" meanwhile I could buy a Viper which isn't as good (or as cool!) but the cost of running and kitting out completely could be made in 3 hours (about 6m).

It's a long haul for sure, Not sure if I want to go for the T9 because it has basically the same running costs and a seriously low LY jump range comparatively.

That's not for a couple weeks though, I'm about 60m shy of the 100m you'd probably need to get fully up and running in a T9 lol. That's a long haul for sure.

Man, had the Battlestar Galactica soundtrack playing in the background. Most intense T7 docking experience ever.

Wreav

Banned
1.04 changlog, it's SO awesome that they updated the new Kepler exoplanets only 2 days after their discovery was announced!

update 1.04 is incoming and everyone will be removed from the server at 2.30 pm GMT while we apply the update and make the new client available. Here is the change log for the update:

- If a station somehow loses it's parent then move it to another body so players at that station can load
- Prevent inconsistencies between client and server in which parts of a sector are and are not occupied
- Some fixes to meta-data that were being disguised by an issue with inconsistent generation
- When deciding if we should go hostile to a faction we just shot, consider whether the target has a local bounty rather than a bounty with their own faction. Prevent people being attacked by the police after attack nearby wanted targets
- Fix only the first consequence being applied to the universe state when completing a mission
- Set killer before we do ship death - fixes problem with players not getting bounties or reputation when they kill other players by breaking critical modules
- Reduce likelihood of server disconnects from stellar forge server queries
- Fix mouse control if galaxy map opened with key binding when in outfitting
- Updated exoplanets Kepler 438 b and 442 b
- Add produced by and consumbed by information to all trade goods (except rares)
- Telemetry added to try and figure out why some machines are failing to load resource files
- Remove the terraforming data for Pareco system causing an assert
- Fix packet loss statistics
- Use the correct absolute magnitude in bolometric luminosity calculations
- Various text fixes

There are some online changes as well which Andy will post in his update, but one change is worth mentioning here - there should be an improvement in matchmaking that should mean you are more likely to see other players if they are in the same region as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom