• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shifty76

How do you do the missions where you have to find rebel transmissions? I've traveled to the unexplored system where they supposedly are, but I'm flying aimlessly finding nothing. Am I supposed to drop supercruise by the primary star and just look around? I'm lost.
Go to the specified system and investigate all USS's

How do you do the missions where you have to find rebel transmissions? I've traveled to the unexplored system where they supposedly are, but I'm flying aimlessly finding nothing. Am I supposed to drop supercruise by the primary star and just look around? I'm lost.

You have to drop into Unidentified Signal Sources and scope them out.

For anyone that's had a chance to play since 1.04 (I haven't yet, I logged off last night when I get the message an update was inbound); have you noticed an increase in CMDR instances?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Bugayaman

All right, thanks. I checked Kokojina / Ali Ring and it has them all too.

Anybody in game able to elaborate on this?

Ok, found it. It describes the typical supplier and buyer station types on the commodity screen now.

Progenitor cells:
Produced by: High Tech
Consumed by: Everywhere except High Tech

Palladium:
Produced by: Extraction
Consumed by: Any except Agri, Refinery, Extraction and Military
(this is a bit hard to read...)

etc

For anyone that's had a chance to play since 1.04 (I haven't yet, I logged off last night when I get the message an update was inbound); have you noticed an increase in CMDR instances?

I was playing in open mode today and I was seeing lots of other players. I was around Ervate though.

Shifty76

Good Lord the Type-7 handles like a brick compared to my old Asp.
Still...can't argue with 550k round trip profit on a 10 min run.

Will be able to afford another Asp after a few more runs.

Best thing is that it seems all the large landing pads are either in the middle or back of the stations. No more of those stupid ones that you can't see because they're right under the mail slot, resulting in reversing into the wall trying to get back to them.

Jezbollah

Hi all. Is anyone here playing with a Thrustmaster Warthog? What is it like?

Is it worth the high price tag? I was willing to spend £160 on the Saitek X55, but given the shortage and the issues with build quality, I'm leaning on Yoloing it and getting the Warthog.

mitchman

Gold Member
Best thing is that it seems all the large landing pads are either in the middle or back of the stations. No more of those stupid ones that you can't see because they're right under the mail slot, resulting in reversing into the wall trying to get back to them.

Don't reverse, just fly upside down backwards until you're above it, use trust down while you pull up on the stick and you should float down perfectly in the middle.

So, for X55 users, that little mouse nipple (hehe, still 12 years old) you can actually map with a registry hack found by Tarvis451 on reddit:

This might be handy to those of you flying with an X-55!
Hey all. I discovered you can remap the X-55's mouse nipple to act as joystick axes, so that you can use it as an analog control in games without forcing it to control the mouse or as buttons. All you need is RegEdit.
Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/MediaProperties/PrivateProperties/Joystick/OEM/VID_0738&PID_A215
Make a new Key (folder) in there, label it Axes
In Axes, make two new Keys, one named 6, and the other named 7.
In '6', make a new Binary Value called Attributes, with 01 81 00 00 05 00 24 00 in it.
In '7', make a new Binary Value called Attributes, with 01 81 00 00 05 00 26 00 in it.
Start Menu -> Run, type joy.cpl, go to the Throttle properties, verify that the new axes work!
The X-55 ministick is kinda crappy and useless for me, but if I just have a faulty unit or there's a mod for it later that makes it better, this will come in handy.
You can do this for the X-52 and X-65 too, but you will have to lose functionality of 1 other axis to do so (since there are 7 out of 8 axes already mapped, while the X-55 throttle has 2 axes unmapped). I can describe how to do this in the comments if anyone needs it.

Haven't actually tried this, but it's pretty useless as it stands. I did find a work around to get it working "in general" but I couldn't assign anything to it while IN Elite. So I'm hoping this works. Would make navigating the Galaxy Map even easier if I can just move around like that, use a Hat right now.

Plus, it not taking control of the mouse is nice since I alt-tab a lot.

I really wanted to use it for Headlook, but I think my EDTracker is at the post office ready to pick up so too little too late for that. But having another joystick axis will be nice.

Dougald

Forget your trade routes. It's all about selling Performance Enhancers at Seeking Luxuries sites.

How do these sites work? I've dropped into one before but nothing really seemed to happen - are they searching for specific goods only, or what?

Kyoufu

How do these sites work? I've dropped into one before but nothing really seemed to happen - are they searching for specific goods only, or what?

Pretty certain they all seek the same thing; Performance Enhancers. You can scan their cargo to be sure.

So, my TrackIR came in last night and I did a little experimenting with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPP7VZ43s-o

I'm no combat EXPERT or anything, just went to a local nav beacon for a quick grab of bounties for the video's sake. I have to say the situational awareness that the TrackIR gives you is INSANELY cool. Necessary? No. Handy and awesome? Hell yes.

When a target pulls up out of your view and banks, you can just follow it and see how he's rolling to turn into his direction of flight to reacquire him. Yes you can do that with UI elements the game already provides, but there's something very natural about just inching your head up to get a better view through your canopy. Docking is a smoother experience, not having to worry about moving a hat on a stick around to see where the docking port is as you do a station flyby.

I probably look ridiculous while using all of this (X55 and TrackIR) but the gameplay is just too good to pass up. Gotta try it with War Thunder and SC now. :)

Tendo

Got my x55 set up and ran through the tutorial missions. This is everything I have wanted from a game and didn't know it. Knowing I'll never make it to space in my lifetime but being able to zip around an asteroid field? I'm in heaven. Now I REALLY hope the consumer Oculus rift comes out this year.

This game is my jam. Also - I am TERRIBLE at dogfighting. But I love it.

Dougald

TrackIR looks great, I kinda wish I hadn't cheaped out on my EDtracker sensor by ordering from china - it's the last part I'm waiting for on my DIY build. Their turnaround for boards only is pretty quick if anyone else fancies the "solder it yourself" route

Orgun

So, my TrackIR came in last night and I did a little experimenting with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPP7VZ43s-o

I'm no combat EXPERT or anything, just went to a local nav beacon for a quick grab of bounties for the video's sake. I have to say the situational awareness that the TrackIR gives you is INSANELY cool. Necessary? No. Handy and awesome? Hell yes.

When a target pulls up out of your view and banks, you can just follow it and see how he's rolling to turn into his direction of flight to reacquire him. Yes you can do that with UI elements the game already provides, but there's something very natural about just inching your head up to get a better view through your canopy. Docking is a smoother experience, not having to worry about moving a hat on a stick around to see where the docking port is as you do a station flyby.

I probably look ridiculous while using all of this (X55 and TrackIR) but the gameplay is just too good to pass up. Gotta try it with War Thunder and SC now. :)

I love my TrackIR, best gadget i've ever bought. The only downside is when you're listening to music and you start nodding away with the music hehe.

Kyoufu

Got my x55 set up and ran through the tutorial missions. This is everything I have wanted from a game and didn't know it. Knowing I'll never make it to space in my lifetime but being able to zip around an asteroid field? I'm in heaven. Now I REALLY hope the consumer Oculus rift comes out this year.

This game is my jam. Also - I am TERRIBLE at dogfighting. But I love it.

I'm also terrible at dogfighting but probably because I don't use roll... What am I even doing in this game? :(

Need to just spend an entire day in training mode with my X52.

Wreav

Banned
I'm also terrible at dogfighting but probably because I don't use roll... What am I even doing in this game? :(

Need to just spend an entire day in training mode with my X52.

Have you ever played an airplane dogfighter? Same basic tactics work here, with the addition of slamming into full reverse while in a tight chasing turn.

Pretty certain they all seek the same thing; Performance Enhancers. You can scan their cargo to be sure.

They sell different things depending on what's happening in the system. Some of them what prototype tech, some want performance enhancers, other just want what ever in trending in the system.

They sell different things depending on what's happening in the system. Some of them what prototype tech, some want performance enhancers, other just want what ever in trending in the system.

Do they pay more than stations and do they take however many you have? Seen a bunch of these pop up where my trade route is.

Kyoufu

Do they pay more than stations and do they take however many you have? Seen a bunch of these pop up where my trade route is.

Yes. In a type-9 you can make 4-5 million per hour. Where I'm at right now the site is 4 Ls away from the station lol.

The nice part is that you don't spend much on fuel since you're not jumping anywhere.

Yes. In a type-9 you can make 4-5 million per hour. Where I'm at right now the site is 4 Ls away from the station lol.

The nice part is that you don't spend much on fuel since you're not jumping anywhere.

Well dang. Might have to see how that is. Don't have a T9, decked out T7 with spinners right now.

mitchman

Gold Member

How do you hand them items they wanna buy?

Kyoufu

How do you hand them items they wanna buy?

From what I read in another thread you just move close to the ship and it takes it. But I'm sure somebody who has done it will chime in.

Yups, just fly close-ish.

Think I'm going to trade in my Asp for the Type-7 then work on getting the Python.

Anyone know if/when a station refreshes their supply of commodities when they're out if stock?

mitchman

Gold Member
Yups, just fly close-ish.

Thanks, trying to add some variation to my game and it's become immensely more enjoyable after I got the python and started testing out various income sources (except for mining which is just a frustrating exercise).

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Thanks, trying to add some variation to my game and it's become immensely more enjoyable after I got the python and started testing out various income sources (except for mining which is just a frustrating exercise).

Dat Python. I think that's my endgame. But damn if those running costs aren't scaring me! We'll see. I think I may just keep the T7 and save for the Python but not sure, that extra 25m in trade would get me there pretty quickly for initial buy price.

LMAO, 170m and 6.5m insurance for the loadout I'd need when I used that ship-outfitter sight. WTF at the military hull being the price of the ship? Man, feel like I walked into some club with $100 and all the drinks are $45.

I dig trading, but not that much! Did you start small and just add as you went or did you have 100-150m banked when you got it?

Also, looks like most are doing it at around 70m minimum. So having 70m plus the ship trade would be good. That's not that bad. Will take a week or so though. Or ignoring my fiance and puppy and the rest of my life this weekend ... hrmmm .. decisions.

Kyoufu

I've hit my limit in trading tbh. Can't go more than an hour without feeling burned out. Maybe I should just farm bounties or something.

From what I read in another thread you just move close to the ship and it takes it. But I'm sure somebody who has done it will chime in.

Yeah just fly close to them and a message will pop up telling you they took it and for how much. They do move though, not sure how long they hang around. Had them in systems that don't sell the gear they buy and it's often not worth it, make as much from normal trading. But if the system does sell the stuff they want then it's easy money.

EDIT . Sorry late reply, that's what you get for opening a load of threads and going through them one at a time.

I've hit my limit in trading tbh. Can't go more than an hour without feeling burned out. Maybe I should just farm bounties or something.

Ha, then don't get a T7! Seeing 250-270k in profit for a 7-8 minute run is great, but that's all you see ...

If you do get a T7, do a few runs for an hour or so and buy a kitted out Cobra for fun. I planned to do that with the Asp but for the loadout I want it's basically the price of the Python so might as well go big or go home ... but we'll see as the game progresses. Not sure if I can afford a 'trade python'.

Kyoufu

Ha, then don't get a T7! Seeing 250-270k in profit for a 7-8 minute run is great, but that's all you see ...

If you do get a T7, do a few runs for an hour or so and buy a kitted out Cobra for fun. I planned to do that with the Asp but for the loadout I want it's basically the price of the Python so might as well go big or go home ... but we'll see as the game progresses. Not sure if I can afford a 'trade python'.

Cobra? Ain't nobody got time for that!

I really want the Python because it's really really good but the grind to get it and kit it out is too much for me. 100+ million is brutal.

Atomski

So decided to give one of those pirate boss missions a try. I know I heard people say they are pretty damn hard.

Yet I was not expecting my Viper to blow up within 20 seconds of the fight.

Cobra? Ain't nobody got time for that!

I really want the Python because it's really really good but the grind to get it and kit it out is too much for me. 100+ million is brutal.

Yeah, crunching the numbers I'm just not sure. I figure once trading starts burning me out I'll jump into other stuff. I think I'll go with a battletank Asp for fun. It's about the price of the Python but damn, those upgrade costs for the Python are insane. Military Hull is 50m+!

I figure I'll probably deck out the Asp and see where I go from there just keeping the T7 banked somewhere in case of emergencies.

Although I could easily see myself getting a "trade Python" and just messing around with lower class gear until I can slowly upgrade. It's a tough call.

Wreav

Banned
FD announced 300,000 units sold and sales at about 14m GBP. Way to go, guys, those are very encouraging numbers!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Forget your trade routes. It's all about selling Performance Enhancers at Seeking Luxuries sites.

What are these seeking luxuries things? I've not seen one of them anywhere yet, were they added with yesterday's patch?

Wreav

Banned
What are these seeking luxuries things? I've not seen one of them anywhere yet, were they added with yesterday's patch?

They are in USSs. Once you discover them, you'll see them as a permanent destination on your nav screen. Been in the game since at least the beta.

I love my TrackIR, best gadget i've ever bought. The only downside is when you're listening to music and you start nodding away with the music hehe.
Or in my case when I crack my neck suddenly my whole view rolls to the side. Which is actually really COOL just doesn't help in any way in Elite :D

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
They are in USSs. Once you discover them, you'll see them as a permanent destination on your nav screen. Been in the game since at least the beta.

Holy Shit,I rarely drop into USS's as I'm out exploring, but that's very interesting. So they are static then, and identical for every player in the universe?

Wreav

Banned
Holy Shit,I rarely drop into USS's as I'm out exploring, but that's very interesting. So they are static then, and identical for every player in the universe?

Pretty sure they're generated uniquely for everyone, just like every other USS. However, if you find one, your buddy can jump through your wake and see it too.

They were permanently in my nav screen without me having to "discover" them. I just undocked and there they all were (in Chemaku). In that system's case it was related to an economic boon happening.

FD announced 300,000 units sold and sales at about 14m GBP. Way to go, guys, those are very encouraging numbers!

Is that 300k sales from AFTER launch, not including beta/alpha or is it all combined? Either way, great number considering that all the money pretty much went directly to them through their store and no Steam/Retail cut, all at $60+ too.

Gives me hope that some of the expansions will actually happen.

Kinthalis

Banned
OH MY GOD!

My TrackIR system is out for delivery!

I suddenly feel like a cold is coming on.. :cough:: ::cough:: yep. I'm getting sick! Might have to leave work
as soon as my trakc ir is delivered
asap in order to prevent my sickness frmo spreading to my poor coworkers.

Kinthalis

Banned
Is that 300k sales from AFTER launch, not including beta/alpha or is it all combined? Either way, great number considering that all the money pretty much went directly to them through their store and no Steam/Retail cut, all at $60+ too.

Gives me hope that some of the expansions will actually happen.

The plain fact is that as a featured item on the Steam store, they would have made a lot more money than they would have lost as part of Steam's cut.

Specially given that they have essentially no marketing in place for this game, they NEED TO BE ON STEAM.

Edit: Thinking mor eon this, I bleive another viable strategy might be:

1. Release outside steam with no marketing to grab the true fans and get word of mouth going.
2. Release a big update, and invest some of the money made from sales into marketing.
3. Releas eon Steam along side the new update with new content, and a new marketing campaign.

I guess that might work well too. I'm just worried that the game will be old news by the time it does hit Steam. I want this game to sell!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom