• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

owlbeak

Left Ho Hsi for the time being and made my way over to Sol for the first time. Very cool recreation of our home system and I also made 250,000CR in bounties hunting at the Halo ring of Jupiter in about 30 minutes. Took out two Anacondas and a few Cobras (individually :)) without even getting my Viper's shields dropped. I think I am getting the hang of combat with flight assist off. You are so much more deadly.

Xanezz

Banned
Cool, thanks for the info Xanezz, I may skip the clipper and go straight to the python ... unsure though. Since I'd need to buy a ship for the missions.

I used a hauler for most of the mission farming, 18 cargo is enough to do about 2-3 missions at a time collecting all sorts or commodities. http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/ search function helps if you need to find what station sells the stuff you need to deliver.

Left Ho Hsi for the time being and made my way over to Sol for the first time. Very cool recreation of our home system and I also made 250,000CR in bounties hunting at the Halo ring of Jupiter in about 30 minutes. Took out two Anacondas and a few Cobras (individually :)) without even getting my Viper's shields dropped. I think I am getting the hang of combat with flight assist off. You are so much more deadly.

and now I kind of want to get a sol permit, thanks :x

Kyoufu

Has FD said anything about buffing bounties? I don't think it's fair that trading makes so much more credits at much less risk.

Qasiel

I think I'll leave Ho Hsi tonight myself and wander into Empire territory. Hopefully they'll be nicer to me than the Fed have been these past few nights. Plus that Clipper is something to aim for.

Kyoufu

I think the problem is more about how trading scale with bigger ship, while bounty hunting pretty much doesn't.

Indeed. I would love to do bounty hunt my way to a Python but it's just not viable right now. Wish FD would tweak things so that the game is a little more varied during progression.

Everyone is leaving? I just returned to Ho Hsi after a couple of weeks in Empire space for the slave rebellion.

Just kinda over it, TBH. It seemed to go into civil war due to our actions, but it exited without much rhyme or reason and the underlying mechanics are too hazy for me to spend time on it.

Any recommendations for a good Federation system to run missions in?

I love this maneuver. It's so satisfying to quickly turn the tide on your opponent.
SleepyFakeAtlanticblackgoby.gif

Boost-->FA off and turn and wait for opponent to jet into your optimum weapons area-->FA on and attack.

AJLma

I love this maneuver. It's so satisfying to quickly turn the tide on your opponent.

This is awesome.

This part of the game is what really makes me excited. The dogfighting is so much fun. It'll be interesting to see what kind of maneuvers and tactics develop over time.

I don't like boost jousting, I much prefer to do it at a slower speed so that when I finish the flip I'm just a few hundred meters behind the target and not too far off their velocity. Ultimately I want to get into a spaceship grappling match with my target where I can keep them in my sights at very close range.

It's fun having a dogfight between two cobras from ranges of under 300m. I wonder what it looks like from a 3rd party.

I also wonder how well this would work against other players.

Tendo

What websites or programs do you all use to help plot trade routes? I feel totally clueless as far as trading goes in game.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Got this game and am ready to try to fly the Galaxy!! I expect to be totally overwhelmed by the mechanics and stuff but I have a flight stick!!! LOL

owlbeak

Got this game and am ready to try to fly the Galaxy!! I expect to be totally overwhelmed by the mechanics and stuff but I have a flight stick!!! LOL

You'll be fine, and welcome! :D

Do all the tutorials from the main game. They cover combat basics and how to dock, use the galaxy map to plot routes, etc, and are vital to understanding the basic mechanics of the game. Feel free to ask questions! Everyone in this thread is awesome and super helpful!

Make sure to take the time to watch some of the tutorials on YouTube as well, not only the official ones but there are some good fan made ones out there as well.

Just keep in mind some things have changed so make sure they are for the launch version of the game.

Just kinda over it, TBH. It seemed to go into civil war due to our actions, but it exited without much rhyme or reason and the underlying mechanics are too hazy for me to spend time on it.

Any recommendations for a good Federation system to run missions in?

All good. I'll probably just run some rare routes while I wait for for Galnet to gimme some suggestions on places to visit.

I spent a bit of time in Altair. I used that more or less as a home system while I ran tasks for the Feds to get my Sol permit.

I have a question mysellf; I have seen people mention the "repair menu" when in Starport Services which allows you too look at individual components. How do you get to this? I only ever have a "repair all" button.

Qasiel

All good. I'll probably just run some rare routes while I wait for for Galnet to gimme some suggestions on places to visit.

I spent a bit of time in Altair. I used that more or less as a home system while I ran tasks for the Feds to get my Sol permit.

I have a question mysellf; I have seen people mention the "repair menu" when in Starport Services which allows you too look at individual components. How do you get to this? I only ever have a "repair all" button.

On the left-side panel (where you can select things such as "Bulletin Board", "Commodities Market", "Contacts" etc.), you should be able to select "Repairs", if you're at a station that allows repairs, and that will bring up a detailed list of components.

Xanezz

Banned

There is an option named "repair" (should be above bulletin board in the list), if you go through that you get to repair individial parts including paint. There isn't much reason to really use it unless you want to partially repair your ship, as you can do so in 10% intervals in that menu.

say if you just bought a clipper and managed to get the frankly way too wide wings stuck on a coriolis port with a loud screech putting your hull to 55%, scaring the everlasting crap out of you since you just bought the damn thing and don't have enough in the bank to pay insurance and you realize the next 2 or so trading tours will go into repairs

GeoGonzo

There is an option named "repair" (should be above bulletin board in the list), if you go through that you get to repair individial parts including paint. There isn't much reason to really use it unless you want to partially repair your ship, as you can do so in 10% intervals in that menu.

say if you just bought a clipper and managed to get the frankly way too wide wings stuck on a coriolis port with a loud screech putting your hull to 55%, scaring the everlasting crap out of you since you just bought the damn thing and don't have enough in the bank to pay insurance and you realize the next 2 or so trading tours will go into repairs

Isn't the repair menu the only way to fix wear&tear? If so, I'd say its worth checking out from time to time. And "Ouch" on the Clipper thing.

On the left-side panel (where you can select things such as "Bulletin Board", "Commodities Market", "Contacts" etc.), you should be able to select "Repairs", if you're at a station that allows repairs, and that will bring up a detailed list of components.

Isn't the repair menu the only way to fix wear&tear? If so, I'd say its worth checking out from time to time. And "Ouch" on the Clipper thing.

Thanks guys. Can't believe I've never noticed the repair button or the munitions button on the left hand panel. I've always just gone straight to bulletin board, contacts and commodities.

Sarcasm

So I have seen "seeking luxuries", what is this and how do I utilize it?

Also I have 145K...what should I buy?

I currently have a hauler and don't mind fighting but don't mind trading either >.<

So I have seen "seeking luxuries", what is this and how do I utilize it?

Also I have 145K...what should I buy?

I currently have a hauler and don't mind fighting but don't mind trading either >.<

Hold out for a Cobra, just keep doing what you're doing. You'll get a big jump in Cargo space and firepower. It's worth the wait.

Thanks...I take it I need a cargo scanner? What is the next hauling/trade ship?

I was actually wondering this too, do I need a Cargo Scanner? I went to one and it said "buying top 10 trending ... " or something like that. But not sure what it meant.

Sarcasm

Hold out for a Cobra, just keep doing what you're doing. You'll get a big jump in Cargo space and firepower. It's worth the wait.

I was actually wondering this too, do I need a Cargo Scanner? I went to one and it said "buying top 10 trending ... " or something like that. But not sure what it meant.

Yep I bought a cargo scanner.

Kinda funny only way to see what they want is to scan them but they flee when you do lol (not jump but speed away).

Made 60K on performance enhancers lol.

Wreav

Banned
Found my first rare commodity floating around in an USS. 10 Rare Artworks! Poor viper only has 4 cargo room, though. :'[

That's not a rare commodity, rares will have the system name in their title that they originate from, but artworks are still good to find and smuggle.

Dubz

I finally got some custom controls that I like for the 360 controller. The main thing I changes is that I put roll on the left stick, and pitch and yaw on the RS. Finally able to pass the tutorials:)

Been playing this for about two weeks now. I like the game in theory, but god damn if the whole process of dropping out of supercruise isn't a tremendous hassle. The whole thing takes way too long and is worse when you drop into a USS and all it is is like one dude flying around who isn't even wanted. Or god forbid you miss the window, drop into nothingness, have to turn around spool up supercruise again and go through the whole process all over again. I'd be nice if they opened up that window a little bit or maybe gave a bit more control over deceleration so you can approach a target faster and drop your speed quicker. As it is, its making it very hard for me to want to play the game.

Xanezz

Banned

If by wear and tear you mean your paint, no, I believe it gets auto repaired (oddly only ever to 99%, which probably sparked your question)
There's also that other repair hull function at the top right of th repair menu that seems bugged, I can usually still spend money even though the ship is at 100%.

It's certainly useful to have, but you don't need a cargo scanner, you can just keep doing perfomance enhancers for now, you don't need to rescan them every time. I don't know when or how they change their preferred commodity, I believe it's either a global setting or system wide. But I haven't seen the demand change within one system over a few days.

What is the next hauling/trade ship?

As flyingpiranha said, you should prob keep the hauler until you get a cobra. Cobra has 40 cargo (with shield) and that'll pretty much double your income. After that the Type 6, then Type 7 then either Clipper, or you sit through all the way to python. T9 is a somewhat qustionable upgrade, as your jump range is really low, but apparently that thing rocks for "seeking luxuries" as you don't have to jump at all.

This guide is good in general, and the trading portion pretty much gets you through the motions step by step: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=80291

Altair, here I come.

Kyoufu

I logged on, traded 400k worth of goodies, logged off.

The burnout is strong with this one. I really should just give up on my Python aspirations and kit out the Asp for bounties.

Cimarron

Does abyone know of a good profile and bind for using the X-52 and Voice Attack. The default x-52 bind is for the pro and it is not showing up under custom controls when I load the game. :^/

Dubz

OK after training I decide to try the game, and I go to the bulletin board to get a mission, and there are none there. What do?

Kyoufu

Frontier Developments really needs to hire someone who can proof-read because their wording on everything is just confusing.

yEDd26L.png

Is Wings going to be DLC or something? Very confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom