• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
The plain fact is that as a featured item on the Steam store, they would have made a lot more money than they would have lost as part of Steam's cut.

Specially given that they have essentially no marketing in place for this game, they NEED TO BE ON STEAM.

Edit: Thinking mor eon this, I bleive another viable strategy might be:

1. Release outside steam with no marketing to grab the true fans and get word of mouth going.
2. Release a big update, and invest some of the money made from sales into marketing.
3. Releas eon Steam along side the new update with new content, and a new marketing campaign.

I guess that might work well too. I'm just worried that the game will be old news by the time it does hit Steam. I want this game to sell!

Yeah, I'd like to see it on Steam. I think not knowing how well it would do, they couldn't afford the chance of it just not being a hit. It's tough to say, a lot of games do just fine not being on Steam, but they do need to advertise a bit more.

I think as it stands if the 'general public' were the majority of users the game wouldn't be well received. There isn't much to do once you get down to it. We're enjoying what it has, but that's tempered with our hopes and expectations. I don't recommend this to anybody just "wanting to play a space game". The death mechanic is too harsh (in general, I think it's fine for the game) for many players to invest that much time into it.

For comparison's sake, imagine if you unlocked the best car in a racing game, took it online and it was destroyed. You had to pay a significant chunk of your income in order to get it back or you lost it altogether. That's a lot to get used to. I personally think until they tweak the ammo cost, ship insurance, and basic tiers of income for various 'jobs', that it's not ready for the mainstream.

My Oculus Rift is going to arrive on Monday. Can't wait to see how the headtracking helps in dogfights.

It's pretty amazing in battle. Actually 'looking' and following the ship is just intuitive. I would use the Rift more if I wasn't a Space Trucker, checking my notes, having to type in system names, alt tabbing to read forums on that long leg (although I avoid these more and more) ... but once I get whatever vehicle I end up choosing for my hunter, I'll probably go back to the Rift.

Kyoufu

It's pretty amazing in battle. Actually 'looking' and following the ship is just intuitive. I would use the Rift more if I wasn't a Space Trucker, checking my notes, having to type in system names, alt tabbing to read forums on that long leg (although I avoid these more and more) ... but once I get whatever vehicle I end up choosing for my hunter, I'll probably go back to the Rift.

Since I'm just trading in Performance Enhancers at Seeking Luxuries sites I don't need to open the Galaxy Map at all, so I can use the DK2 for trucking :D

That is if I don't break down from motion sickness. I suffer from travel sickness so my chances of using the DK2 for long periods is probably not good.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
My Oculus Rift is going to arrive on Monday. Can't wait to see how the headtracking helps in dogfights.

Remember to hold your hand up when leaning in to get a closer look at those screens in VR, heh. I wound up bumping my case.

GeoGonzo

The plain fact is that as a featured item on the Steam store, they would have made a lot more money than they would have lost as part of Steam's cut.

Specially given that they have essentially no marketing in place for this game, they NEED TO BE ON STEAM.

Edit: Thinking mor eon this, I bleive another viable strategy might be:

1. Release outside steam with no marketing to grab the true fans and get word of mouth going.
2. Release a big update, and invest some of the money made from sales into marketing.
3. Releas eon Steam along side the new update with new content, and a new marketing campaign.

I guess that might work well too. I'm just worried that the game will be old news by the time it does hit Steam. I want this game to sell!
Its weird how strongly some people feel about this and how it is often presented as basic financial advice and a certain win for the company but at the same time (and I'm not saying this is your case) it often reads like a preference from a user's point of view, who would rather keep all their games on Steam. And I'd get it, I love Steam, but isn't it a bit ridiculous to assume that Frontier hasn't considered publishing their game there? Maybe their market research indicates that there's little interest overlap between space sims and the average steam user, or maybe the average user is over 30 and not into mainstream games, or countless other possible reasons. Why assume that they made the wrong move?

Nymerio

I've thought about getting a dk2 as well, but I already have the first dk and with the consumer version coming out this year I don't think it's worth it.

bj00rn_

Banned

It will make the dogfighting one hundred times more fun at least..

Make sure you expect to be disappointed by the low resolution AND that you're probably spend a while setting it up before it works.. Because then you'll probably have an amazing time with it :)

Wreav

Banned
Apt CAD in today's newsletter for all the nooblets.

cad-20150107-48d99.png

Please report back on how it works! I'm torn between ordering a dk2 or waiting for the rumored consumer version.
It really is a great experience! Only the screen door effect or whatever you want to call it is kinda disturbing. You can barely see ships far away from you and the text in the hud is barely readable. That is with the entire hud in green - to have some more pixels to display the text.
The size feeling really is great in this game and so is looking around you and feeling you are in the ship. It really helps that the Joystick in the game mimicks all your movements with your Joystick - especially when you have yours in nearly the position it is ingame. I sometimes use my hands to do other stuff - grab some drink, etc. - and am wondering why my hands do not what I want them to do (for a brief moment that is - until I realize it's not my hands I see there)

That's what it looks like through the rift - I recorded this some days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrUI9Ql4WWU

X-Kalibur

I'm thinking at giving trading a try again. I can afford a T6 and I have 500k spare to buy trades and pay the upkeep. Where should I start? How much profit will I be able to make? because I've calculated 50T * 2000cr profit/ton = 100000cr profit per run

Also, how reliable is Thrudd's tool? Are trades from 7 hours ago still valid?

Remember to hold your hand up when leaning in to get a closer look at those screens in VR, heh. I wound up bumping my case.

LOL, I wonder how many DK2's have a scrape in the front from that. *raises hand*

I've thought about getting a dk2 as well, but I already have the first dk and with the consumer version coming out this year I don't think it's worth it.

Man, I hope so.

Also, kick the graphics down a lot, then slowly bring them up until you get a good satisfactory image. I always find working from high to low tends to make me woosey sometimes with the judder and such. But if I start low and then start adding things it starts smooth and then I can see where it gets unacceptable.

Shifty76

I'm thinking at giving trading a try again. I can afford a T6 and I have 500k spare to buy trades and pay the upkeep. Where should I start? How much profit will I be able to make? because I've calculated 50T * 2000cr profit/ton = 100000cr profit per run

Also, how reliable is Thrudd's tool? Are trades from 7 hours ago still valid?

Where are you getting your numbers from?

Should be min 100T in a T6 and a good trade run is usually in the range of 2500/T round trip profit.

Just type in the station you're in, set distance to 30 and pad size to med and see what's out there. I've found that tool to be pretty reliable, though distance to station is a little borked.

Kinthalis

Banned
Its weird how strongly some people feel about this and how it is often presented as basic financial advice and a certain win for the company but at the same time (and I'm not saying this is your case) it often reads like a preference from a user's point of view, who would rather keep all their games on Steam. And I'd get it, I love Steam, but isn't it a bit ridiculous to assume that Frontier hasn't considered publishing their game there? Maybe their market research indicates that there's little interest overlap between space sims and the average steam user, or maybe the average user is over 30 and not into mainstream games, or countless other possible reasons. Why assume that they made the wrong move?

It doesn't matter.

If you have ZERO marketing putting your game t the eyeballs fo some 90+ million people is PRICELESS.

Wreav

Banned
Will there be any major improvements between DK2 and CV1? I dont' care how it looks but if it turns out having a higher res screen or something I'll wait.

There is already MAJOR improvement with Crescent Bay (the non-public model that came after DK2) so yes.

Dubz

I'm about to just use the arcade control settings for my 360 controller. I can't get a good scheme with the advanced controls and be a competent pilot. I want to like this game but I suck at flying:(

When you have a VA macro to to exit to main menu and log back in during the exit docking sequence so you can shave those sweet, sweet seconds off of your time ... you've got a problem.

Especially when you're not even paying attention and overshooting locations ....

I'm not naming names though.

X-Kalibur

Where are you getting your numbers from?

Should be min 100T in a T6 and a good trade run is usually in the range of 2500/T round trip profit.

Just type in the station you're in, set distance to 30 and pad size to med and see what's out there. I've found that tool to be pretty reliable, though distance to station is a little borked.

True, 50T is what it has by default. Aside from changing the default cargo holds, what do you recommend to start trading? Should I get a better FSD?

Hehehe... I do see this meme a lot though. Is this actually an issue for people?

Docking has always been super easy for me, I never had an issue.

Yeah I routinely dock with flight assist off inside hub stations now. Normal docking is second nature, never had any issue with it after seeing a youtube for the docking UI.

Shifty76

True, 50T is what it has by default. Aside from changing the default cargo holds, what do you recommend to start trading? Should I get a better FSD?
Class A FSD, class D everything else. Strip hardpoints for more jump range. Make sure you leave 500k or more (1m would be better) for insurance and cargo cost

Xanezz

Banned
So I just bought an Imperial Clipper earlier (got lucky ,the game decided to let me buy one at squire rank) and damn, this thing makes sounds you wouldn't believe.

Compared to the T7 it has slightly more cago capacity (232) and much better boost speed and general acceleration. Also a lot more manouverable, despite what the stat info says. Only negative I#ve found was that the lateral thrusters are a litte bit weaksauce.

Would recommend it as an intermediate upgrade between the T7 and Python.

Also thanks for the info on seeking luxuries, certainly a nice change from jump trading.

Shifty76

Off to Imperial space then I guess to build my relations with them. Will finally get to cash in the 300k or so worth of bounties I've accumulated

So I just bought an Imperial Clipper earlier (got lucky ,the game decided to let me buy one at squire rank) and damn, this thing makes sounds you wouldn't believe.

Compared to the T7 it has slightly more cago capacity (232) and much better boost speed and general acceleration. Also a lot more manouverable, despite what the stat info says. Only negative I#ve found was that the lateral thrusters are a litte bit weaksauce.

Would recommend it as an intermediate upgrade between the T7 and Python.

Also thanks for the info on seeking luxuries, certainly a nice change from jump trading.

How did you grind rank? It's the one thing keeping me from a Clipper or I'd probably be in one now ...

How did you grind rank? It's the one thing keeping me from a Clipper or I'd probably be in one now ...

I bought the Clipper with a Master rank, which is the third rank. Just do the various missions available from the Empire and over time you will see these Naval Accession missions popup. Completion of Naval missions will increase your rank.

GeoGonzo

I'm up to the rank Squire just doing missions from the Empire here and there. Still three ranks to go before I can buy a Clipper, though.

mitchman

Gold Member
Dat Python. I think that's my endgame. But damn if those running costs aren't scaring me! We'll see. I think I may just keep the T7 and save for the Python but not sure, that extra 25m in trade would get me there pretty quickly for initial buy price.

LMAO, 170m and 6.5m insurance for the loadout I'd need when I used that ship-outfitter sight. WTF at the military hull being the price of the ship? Man, feel like I walked into some club with $100 and all the drinks are $45.

I dig trading, but not that much! Did you start small and just add as you went or did you have 100-150m banked when you got it?

Also, looks like most are doing it at around 70m minimum. So having 70m plus the ship trade would be good. That's not that bad. Will take a week or so though. Or ignoring my fiance and puppy and the rest of my life this weekend ... hrmmm .. decisions.

The python should be where the start of your game. What's when you have a ship capable to filling any role you might want, and excelling at it. You need a class A jump drive and class D for the other modules, which should be less than 10M, and then you have something less than abyssal jump range and all round kick ass ship.

I bought the Clipper with a Master rank, which is the third rank. Just do the various missions available from the Empire and over time you will see these Naval Accession missions popup. Completion of Naval missions will increase your rank.

Cool, thanks!

The python should be where the start of your game. What's when you have a ship capable to filling any role you might want, and excelling at it. You need a class A jump drive and class D for the other modules, which should be less than 10M, and then you have something less than abyssal jump range and all round kick ass ship.

Hrm, I thought it had the class 6 drive, but class 5 is easily doable. So have enough for the ship and 10m wouldn't be too bad. I might be able to skip the clip.

Trade in value on the T7 is about 25m, so if I part it out I can get back a little more. Decisions, decisions.

So here's the starter layout, mainly for trading, no weapons yet although those usually aren't too pricey. I want to keep the huge shield to nullify hull dings, seems like a better payoff in the long run than a 3% hull negating 30 cargo spaces. Is a 4A fuel scoop good enough? I will be mostly doing trading at first, then branch out once I have a bankroll but I would think 83m should be a good start, including my current ship, so about 50m to grind out ... damn, that's a lot of hours, lol!

http://eliteshipyard.nfshost.com/#/L=205,mpV5QG5QG,2-BaA07_6QBaA08I,0AA7US0AA08c08c4_w05U05U03w

Kinthalis

Banned
OH MY GOD!

My TrackIR system is out for delivery!

I suddenly feel like a cold is coming on.. :cough:: ::cough:: yep. I'm getting sick! Might have to leave work
as soon as my trakc ir is delivered
asap in order to prevent my sickness frmo spreading to my poor coworkers.

WTF? I write this in jest, I stay at work, I get home, and I've got a 100.5 fever!

I got sick!

Raticus79

Tips for finding the Seeking Luxuries sites:
http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteTraders/comments/2rteya/seeking_luxuries_is_legit/cnk697k

Someone mentioned the same logic probably applies to the "seeking weapons" sites that popped up during war.

I'm going to see if I can repair my Ho Hsi Corp faction enough to run slaves-for-money missions for them. Those should actually reduce their influence and increase unrest when completed, just need to double-check. If not, I'll keep an eye out for other ones like weapon deliveries from Jet Comms.

Edit: Yup, I was able to repair my rep with the donation missions even while hostile. It took maybe 3 "free slaves" ones to go from maxed Hostile to Unfriendly.

Qasiel

Federation are so damn hard to please! Been running missions for them all night and my standing still hasn't increased. Do they want my soul or something?!

Jedi2016

Federation are so damn hard to please! Been running missions for them all night and my standing still hasn't increased. Do they want my soul or something?!
It's the Federation, of course they do. I'm Friendly with them, I'm not even sure what the ranking system is from there.

Qasiel

It's the Federation, of course they do. I'm Friendly with them, I'm not even sure what the ranking system is from there.
I used to be friendly with them, then started doing some missions for another faction within the same system which seemed to upset them a bit, and now it's like I have to climb Everest because I farted in church.

Raticus79

All right, I made it through 25 various missions for slaves in Ho Hsi... let's see if we get that boom back after the reboot.

... yeah, nothing's changed. I'm not sure this bug fix actually worked.

mitchman

Gold Member

I did 2 naval mission and became friendly with the rank of ensign or something.

Raticus79

Bah, I forgot to check my insurance after switching to a loadout to try killing Ho Hsi Corp targets around the system to affect the unrest levels and lost everything. Well, I don't feel like repeating all that. Think that's enough for me for now.

Kyoufu

Bah, I forgot to check my insurance after switching to a loadout to try killing Ho Hsi Corp targets around the system to affect the unrest levels and lost everything. Well, I don't feel like repeating all that. Think that's enough for me for now.

Damn, everything? :'(

They need to improve bounty hunting because there's no way in hell I'd repeat this trading shit to get my ship back.

Raticus79

Damn, everything? :'(

Yup, I've got a sidewinder and 300k. I just stayed on too long after finishing up some work and messed up. So it goes. I was sitting here thinking "why doesn't it warn you when you're taking off without enough to cover insurance" but the game's all about giving the player those opportunities to mess up and having them deal with it. ("The numbers are right there, guess you won't forget to look next time huh")

One-Shot

Banned
Yup, I've got a sidewinder and 300k. I just stayed on too long after finishing up some work and messed up. So it goes. I was sitting here thinking "why doesn't it warn you when you're taking off without enough to cover insurance" but the game's all about giving the player those opportunities to mess up and having them deal with it. ("The numbers are right there, guess you won't forget to look next time huh")
You're able to buy more insurance?

Xanezz

Banned
Belated response to an already kind of answered question:

I did missions for important factions (Empire Group, Empire Party, and that other faction that's sat in achenar which name I can't remember)

Out of the reputation missions the charity/altruism ones give the most substantial reward, trading is also a way to increase your reputation (slow, but more profitable).
Bounty Hunting apparently only increases it temporarily.

Here's an old dev post: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6279

Also this: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=76098

Here is what we know currently thanks to one of our posters: Cartu and Priva seem to be excellent systems for ranking up.

Alright, I'm over Ho Hsi until we figure out exactly how the cause/effect system works for boom, unrest, influence, etc. works.

What's another good system to spend time in? I'd like to rank up Federation.

Cool, thanks for the info Xanezz, I may skip the clipper and go straight to the python ... unsure though. Since I'd need to buy a ship for the missions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom