• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atrophis

Oculus Rift arrived. Set it up and jumped into training...

HOOOOOOOOOOOOLY FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

I've previously tried the Rift on a mates copy of the game. I just got the game myself yesterday and going to get the Rift setup with it tonight now that I've got a hang of the basics. Its insane though, totally paradigm changing experience. The stations, the planets, the cockpit, it's perfect. Going to explore some planetary rings tonight :D

Atomski

I've managed to get my ship blow up by a station because I forgot to ask for docking permission. Mistakes were made :|

I almost did this last night but hit reverse just as I was entering bumping, into the guy behind me who was following me in. Bet he thought I was a dumbass..

I've managed to get my ship blow up by a station because I forgot to ask for docking permission. Mistakes were made :|

Other than contemplating the horror of empty space, this is what I do most when playing while stoned. Lots of "oh shit oh shit OH SHIT" reverse thruster moments.

Faith

I almost did this last night but hit reverse just as I was entering bumping, into the guy behind me who was following me in. Bet he thought I was a dumbass..
Haha me too. With my fully laden Type6, almost lost 1 million. Luckily there was nobody behind me.

The wait for CV1 is excruciating. Already have money just sitting in an envelope for it.

Same, I've got about £250 ready and waiting on a shelf. The wait is killing me and there isn't even a week that goes by without me feeling tempted to sink the cash on a DK2. I can't afford two rifts though so the CV1 needs to happen fast!

Shifty76

Is it targets popping chaff during interdiction that makes my screen go all jaggedy like I have double vision? Most interdictions are easy, but when they do that they're damn near impossible to pull off.

GeoGonzo

Is it targets popping chaff during interdiction that makes my screen go all jaggedy like I have double vision? Most interdictions are easy, but when they do that they're damn near impossible to pull off.
I've seen that happen too. I think its just an annoying bug (since its probably impossible to win the interdiction with the escape vector being at two different places. Then agaaaaaain it doesn't bother me that much since fighting interdictions takes almost longer than simply submitting and escaping.

Which reminds me: An NPC pirate interdicted my Asp with an unshielded Eagle. Nice, dude. Balls of Platinum. I let him fly away at 5% since I wasn't getting anything out of finishing him on an Anarchy system anyway (No KWS on board).

Shifty76

I've seen that happen too. I think its just an annoying bug (since its probably impossible to win the interdiction with the escape vector being at two different places. Then agaaaaaain it doesn't bother me that much since fighting interdictions takes almost longer than simply submitting and escaping.

Which reminds me: An NPC pirate interdicted my Asp with an unshielded Eagle. Nice, dude. Balls of Platinum. I let him fly away at 5% since I wasn't getting anything out of finishing him on an Anarchy system anyway (No KWS on board).

I mean when I'm interdicting them.

For VoiceAttack Users, how do you get it to send commands to different applications? Seems very limited except for while you're IN the application.

I want to be able to use a command to recenter the EDTracker, but it's in its own application and you can't (that I can find) have multiple "Sent To" command options. I guess I can just continue to use active window and alt-tab (which I also I wanted to set up a command for) and when the app is "active" the command will send.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Here's an update about the frozen system influence issue - fix pending:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=97577&page=3&p=1517168&viewfull=1#post1517168

Michael Brookes said:
An update on this - we've identified two issues that would be causing problems here. The first is that expanding minor factions into nearby systems is causing the changes to be applied to the wrong systems. There's also an issue where some systems aren't processing the queue of changes in a timely fashion so they haven't been applied yet. We're working on fixes for these two problems.

Michael

The first issue's relevant for groups working on getting a faction to expand (e.g. the dukes of Mikunn or the one at Leesti). The second issue affects everyone but it's the main thing holding back Ho Hsi. Once it's fixed there should be a backlog of changes arriving all at once. With any luck the events from the Ho Hsi civil war were also stuck in the queue - maybe Hand Ring will change hands once that backlog is processed. Should be interesting to see what happens when this is resolved.

Also a bit more clarification on the station ownership and nature of civil war:
It happens per station and when it occurs for the controlling station then system ownership changes.

Currently civil war is the only way to change ownership.

So the model for faction progression is to get it to take over its home system's primary station via civil war, reach 100%, then expand into neighboring systems, start a civil war to take over stations there, and so on. There aren't any direct system-to-system warfare events.

Tendo

So how do I go about starting making serious cash? I want to get a viper ASAP so I can dogfight better - takes way to long to kill cobras right now and I never find many sidewinders to take out. I got rid of my shields and added another cargo bay. If I'm lucky I find a mission for 3-5k credits and can maybe take some extra stuff with me for an extra 1-2k. What is the most efficient way to find good trade routes?

Wreav

Banned
You're wasting your time trading in a sidewinder.

Get a couple multicannons, and get your ass to a resource extraction point. Kill everything that says wanted, turn in bounties, profit.

Tendo

You're wasting your time trading in a sidewinder.

Get a couple multicannons, and get your ass to a resource extraction point. Kill everything that says wanted, turn in bounties, profit.

How do I check my bounties? I killed one last night, got a 10k bounty pop up on screen but have nothing in transactions. Did it glitch? Is there a good "starter" zone that wont take 5 minutes to kill a single ship?

Wreav

Banned
Even if it takes you 5 minutes to kill a ship, you're getting a 5-10k bounty per ship. Those are great numbers if you're in a sidewinder.

You'll see bounties listed in Transactions, but if you die, they wipe.

Tendo

Even if it takes you 5 minutes to kill a ship, you're getting a 5-10k bounty per ship. Those are great numbers if you're in a sidewinder.

You'll see bounties listed in Transactions, but if you die, they wipe.

Guess I'm just frustrated because I lost two kills to federation police (killstealers!) and my one bounty I got seemingly vanished so I didn't get credit. I'll stick with it.

Skyzard

Banned
For VoiceAttack Users, how do you get it to send commands to different applications? Seems very limited except for while you're IN the application.

I want to be able to use a command to recenter the EDTracker, but it's in its own application and you can't (that I can find) have multiple "Sent To" command options. I guess I can just continue to use active window and alt-tab (which I also I wanted to set up a command for) and when the app is "active" the command will send.

I haven't tried to get it to send things to specific applications, not sure if you can, but if you can set up a shortcut for the recenter then you can set voice attack to activate that same shortcut/hotkey.

Oculus Rift arrived. Set it up and jumped into training...

HOOOOOOOOOOOOLY FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

I KNOW RIGHT??? I got the DK2 almost a month ago, didn't even know Elite existed. I'm absolutely hooked and everything else I do in life now is stuff i'm doing when not in spaceship. Does that make sense?

Kyoufu

Head tracking is amazing. The ability to look up and keep track of your enemy as he' goes above you changes the game. Makes dogfights much easier.

Wreav

Banned
Head tracking is amazing. The ability to look up and keep track of your enemy as he' goes above you changes the game. Makes dogfights much easier.

agree to disagree, at least in terms of wearing a rift...i didn't find the combat was significantly easier if you've already mastered reading the radar/following contrails/knowing some combat maneuvers. i found constantly craning my neck with a heavy headpiece was more annoying than anything. Also matters what ship you're flying, in terms of what you can actually see.

i'm sure IR tracking will be a significant improvement over that experience.

How do these "find cargo xy with special information in system z" missions work? Do I have to cargo scan each and every one until I find the one with it?

I am trying to do some work for jet comms but they all are "kill ship X" with a 160k bounty - so I think this is a deadly anaconda and I do not accept.
Others are "get slaves" missions - where I have no idea where to get them. And the above ones. :(

What's a good ship for exploration? I was thinking of buying an Adder and beginning my journey to the center of the galaxy but I'm not sure it's right for the job. I'm also not sure if I'll get there in my lifetime but it's worth a shot I guess.

owlbeak

What's a good ship for exploration? I was thinking of buying an Adder and beginning my journey to the center of the galaxy but I'm not sure it's right for the job. I'm also not sure if I'll get there in my lifetime but it's worth a shot I guess.

I believe the Asp is the king for exploration. I think you can upgrade it to jump around 28LY. It's pricey, though. I got around pretty well in my Adder and I liked it quite a bit. It could also hold it's own in combat, so that was a plus.

Shifty76

Asp is awesome for exploring. Advanced + detailed scanners, A4 scoop, A5 FSD. I gave up exploring as I don't find it that interesting, plus the pay sucks. Will get back into it at some point though as I hope to get to elite status in all categories one day.

Guess I shall be checking out the Asp for the future then. I'm not actually huge on exploring either but I've always wanted to take a trip to the center since this game was announced so I figured I may as well begin, though I'm kinda tempted to take a detour to Canis Majoris first.

By the way for any more experienced Voice Attack fans, has anyone figured out how to boot up other playlists without being kicked back to the desktop? I've got all the major controls working but I was hoping by having WMP open and selecting to execute the playlist as a program from Voice Attack I'd be able to avoid it, but it still keeps acting like I've freshly opened WMP over Elite. Is there a workaround for this? I'd love to be switching between playlists to fit the scenario I land in.

I haven't tried to get it to send things to specific applications, not sure if you can, but if you can set up a shortcut for the recenter then you can set voice attack to activate that same shortcut/hotkey.

Hrm .. Maybe I will just create a bat file or something. Thanks.

Tendo

How do you discover new systems or routes? I see missions to places I haven't been and they are red and I can't plot there

offtopic

He measures in centimeters

Anyone have any good tools for finding a general route through the galaxy? The in-game map is sometimes hard to use if you just want to head a general direction (like say towards the core).

Wreav

Banned
How do you discover new systems or routes? I see missions to places I haven't been and they are red and I can't plot there
It takes a while to plot a route on the galaxy map, give it time. Or it might be beyond your max jump range.

Faith

My trading route profit increased 12% overnight. Now I'm at 2450CR/ton, with my ASP 291.000 CR/run (with fuel) and it takes 10 minutes, so 1.75M CR/hour.

I can't find every upgrade for my ASP. Where should I go to find everything?

Effect

Don't even know why I bother playing in "open play". Unless it's a big station it's a constant stream of "docking request denied" until I quit and go back in under solo.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Don't even know why I bother playing in "open play". Unless it's a big station it's a constant stream of "docking request denied" until I quit and go back in under solo.

I'm kind of surprised they don't have queues for taking off. "Launch request denied" when trying to leave the hangar.

RK9039

I might be wrong but I think it's because you aren't close enough. It's happened to me a few times as well, you basically go towards that direction until you can plot and lock that destination.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa

this is why i want to explore, go to the less populated bits of the galaxy!

Xanezz

Banned
My trading route profit increased 12% overnight. Now I'm at 2450CR/ton, with my ASP 291.000 CR/run (with fuel) and it takes 10 minutes, so 1.75M CR/hour.

I can't find every upgrade for my ASP. Where should I go to find everything?

Nice route.

Go for High Tech stations (most of them come in the form of High Tech Refinery)
If one doesn't have the upgrade you need, keep looking. Use the gal map filters and system maps to confirm before you go just flying to every station blind.

Tendo

Evidently there is a glitch affecting some players right now where they aren't getting bounty credit. I'm one of the lucky guys affected. I get a kill, reward pops up, then nothing in transactions and nothing to turn in at either fed or empire stations. Ugh :(

Wreav

Banned

This has literally never happened to me and I played Open exclusively. Get out of the core systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom