• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchman

Gold Member
Frontier Developments really needs to hire someone who can proof-read because their wording on everything is just confusing.

yEDd26L.png

Is Wings going to be DLC or something? Very confusing.

Nah, it's not paid content it's just that we get to test it first on a test server.

Atomski

So what's a good way to grind rep. Ive been mostly hunting bounties and doing some hauling but my rep with the federation just sits at neutral.

Kyoufu

So what's a good way to grind rep. Ive been mostly hunting bounties and doing some hauling but my rep with the federation just sits at neutral.

Trading is probably the best way to do it, then pick up the Naval progression missions on the bulletin board.

Xanezz

Banned

Do altruism missions (deliver cargo for free, it's a hand symbol) for some federation sub factions, if you get friendly and then allied you also gain rep with the federation as a whole, allowing you to take aforementioned naval progression missions.

Bounty hunting isn't a terribly good way to grind rep I've found, trading is also fairly slow, yet more profitable. I think bounty hunting rep also decays.

If you just want to get ranks fast do general missions like "the weekend needs landing" and such, where you just get some commodities and deliver them, http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/ helps with finding where to get the stuff.
Otherwise just trading as kyoufu mentioned does the job, but it takes a while.

Frontier Developments really needs to hire someone who can proof-read because their wording on everything is just confusing.

yEDd26L.png

Is Wings going to be DLC or something? Very confusing.

I assume it means beta players get early access, not that it's paid... But yeah, that is confusing.

Tendo

Ok, I have a couple newbie questions

I'm used to flight and moving around my starting system but:

1) How can I start making money bounty hunting? I've gone to a few unidentified sources or whatever they are called and just find floating space junk

2) how can I discover trade routes to other systems? I feel stuck in lhs 3447 right now and its crampin my trades

Dubz

I have a dumb question. I have a mission to bring food to LHS 3447. I navigate to LHS 3447 and then what? I don't know what area of LHS 3447 to go to. What am I missing?

owlbeak

Ok, I have a couple newbie questions

I'm used to flight and moving around my starting system but:

1) How can I start making money bounty hunting? I've gone to a few unidentified sources or whatever they are called and just find floating space junk
Best bet is to hang out at Nav Beacons (find them in your left side menu (1) and Super Cruise to them) and scan ships. You'll find a lot of NPCs and CMDR's with bounties. Resource extraction sites (found the same way, generally in the rings of ringed planets) will also have lots of pirates and wanted ships. Resource Extraction Sites have the added benefit that usually the ships with bounties also have good cargo. I like to scan their cargo and target the cargo hatch so I kill them, get the bounty, and pick up high value commodities like Gold. :)

I don't do a lot of trading, so I can't answer your second question, but someone else surely will. :)

I logged on, traded 400k worth of goodies, logged off.

The burnout is strong with this one. I really should just give up on my Python aspirations and kit out the Asp for bounties.

Yeah, about halfway to it right now, closer if I sell my decked out T7 but not sure I want to do that.

Definitely contemplating another Asp at this point.

Tendo

Best bet is to hang out at Nav Beacons (find them in your left side menu (1) and Super Cruise to them) and scan ships. You'll find a lot of NPCs and CMDR's with bounties. Resource extraction sites (found the same way, generally in the rings of ringed planets) will also have lots of pirates and wanted ships. Resource Extraction Sites have the added benefit that usually the ships with bounties also have good cargo. I like to scan their cargo and target the cargo hatch so I kill them, get the bounty, and pick up high value commodities like Gold. :)

I don't do a lot of trading, so I can't answer your second question, but someone else surely will. :)

Do I need to buy a scanner first or can I do that scan by default? Do I have to go to an anarchy system or am I good as long as they have bounties?

Kyoufu

Actually its a food mission. I think I'm supposed to find/buy food. Where would I do that?

Ah I see. This site will be your friend: http://elitetradingtool.co.uk/

Hit search, then click commodities and station selling. Search which station is selling food items and go buy.

I recommend leaving LHS 3447 asap though, it's a binary system so the stations are eons apart. I recommend plotting a route to Eravate which isn't far.

Xanezz

Banned
Yeah, about halfway to it right now, closer if I sell my decked out T7 but not sure I want to do that.

Definitely contemplating another Asp at this point.

Python is okay as a back up trading ship, you can sell the t7 without problem to get there.

If you drop the shields down a bit and load up on cargo racks it's still better than a t7: http://eliteshipyard.nfshost.com/#/L=305,,2-BaA07_6uBaA08I,0AA0AA0AA7T208c07205U05U03w

You can prob even go lower on the shields and get 16 tons extra, though it gets pretty close to the limit with tier 4 shields, not sure how stable that would be anymore: http://eliteshipyard.nfshost.com/#/L=305,,2-BaA07_6uBaA08I,0AA0AA0AA08c08c7RA05U05U03w

Jump range isn't phenomenal, but then again neither is the t7's (about 1 LY further fully loaded, same FSD class and similar weight)

----

Oh yeah, shameless plug again for elite shipyard, help improve the page here if you want: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=95716
taleden has been updating the site regularily over the past few days, just added the Anaconda today I think.

owlbeak

Do I need to buy a scanner first or can I do that scan by default? Do I have to go to an anarchy system or am I good as long as they have bounties?
You'll have to buy the cargo scanner (remember to assign it to a fire group). It's not super expensive, and you can bounty hunt anywhere. As long as they are wanted, you're free to open fire on them.

Kyoufu

Is the best way to make credits trading?

Sadly, yes. At the beginning bounty hunting isn't terrible as long as you're comfortable with your Sidewinder. You can soon upgrade to a Viper but the problem is that bounties don't scale, they're static, whereas trading scales with the cargo limit of your ship so the more cargo you can hold the more credits you will be making via trading.

WarMacheen

I've seen people on twitch tell the computer to play music. Is there a way to have a custom soundtrack, either with the use of voice attack or alone?

Xanezz

Banned
I've seen people on twitch tell the computer to play music. Is there a way to have a custom soundtrack, either with the use of voice attack or alone?

Must've been voice attack, the game itself has no voice control that I know of.
Haven't tried VA, but I'd expect that you can configure it to play music without too much of a hassle.

Luigi87

So put an impulse order in for the X52 Pro on Amazon.ca as it was only $164 CAD... Though shipping in 1-4 months <_<
Guess I'll just... wait until whenever and lurk this thread.

Luigi87

164 CND!?!? wowzers

I also have a video of my derp crash if you guys want to see it lol

Actually I got it backwards, $146.25 CAD (before taxes)

... So yeah, I've really been wanting a good space sandbox sim, and I don't feel like waiting for Star Citizen, lol

Edit: Patience got the better of me, cancelled that order and sprung for an in-stock X55 <_<

Python is okay as a back up trading ship, you can sell the t7 without problem to get there.

If you drop the shields down a bit and load up on cargo racks it's still better than a t7: http://eliteshipyard.nfshost.com/#/L=305,,2-BaA07_6uBaA08I,0AA0AA0AA7T208c07205U05U03w

You can prob even go lower on the shields and get 16 tons extra, though it gets pretty close to the limit with tier 4 shields, not sure how stable that would be anymore: http://eliteshipyard.nfshost.com/#/L=305,,2-BaA07_6uBaA08I,0AA0AA0AA08c08c7RA05U05U03w

Jump range isn't phenomenal, but then again neither is the t7's (about 1 LY further fully loaded, same FSD class and similar weight)

----

Oh yeah, shameless plug again for elite shipyard, help improve the page here if you want: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=95716
taleden has been updating the site regularily over the past few days, just added the Anaconda today I think.

Yeah, I will probably tough it out ... that's a bit cheaper than I was expecting, but still a ways off.

Has anybody noticed profit kind of dropping? I've done a few systems and just checking around and such and it's now an average of 1000-1200c/t instead of my usual 1200-1400c/t.

Skyzard

Banned

Make a custom playlist on VLC, save the file for the playlist somewhere.

Set Voice Attack to open that file.

Jedi2016

Make a custom playlist on VLC, save the file for the playlist somewhere.

Set Voice Attack to open that file.
Wait... you can tell VA to open specific files, not related to a running program? Holy hell, that's awesome. I could add in a bunch of commands to play specific albums for when I'm in the mood.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I love this game.
I was picking up cargo when this ship kept following me and speeding up, then taking my loot!! After 2 time of doing this and noticing he actually followed me, I blew his ass up. Paid my bounty at a station and went on with my business. Lol

Skyzard

Banned
Wait... you can tell VA to open specific files, not related to a running program? Holy hell, that's awesome. I could add in a bunch of commands to play specific albums for when I'm in the mood.

Yep, great software.

From the help documentation:

Other Stuff Screen

This screen allows you to add a miscellaneous item to the command action sequence. Some items in here may be useful to you. Other items you will probably never use. There's a lot going on here, so, I'll try to do my best to explain each item.
z4GFvaW.png

The actions of the, 'Other Stuff' screen are accessed by a drop-down list that contains ten items (shown above is the, 'Run an Application' action). Simply choose the item that you want to include in your macro, and click, 'OK'. The items you can choose are explained below :

Jedi2016

That's what I get for never reading the instructions.. lol. I just set up a profile for stuff in Elite, it never occurred to me to use it for anything outside of Elite, especially if I'm in the game.

Dougald

I built my EDtracker up yesterday. Didn't have much time to play as I spent most of the time configuring it up and adjusting my settings - I found you really need to set a small deadzone in the bindings or you just end up with motion sickness.

It works pretty well for just moving your view around. I found it didn't really work for the menus as I couldn't focus on the screen all that well with my head tilted, but YMMV.

Putting it together if you buy the base board for £5 and the arduino/accelerometer/button separately is really easy if you are "ok" or better at soldering. I'm pretty crap and I still managed to get it done. If you follow the tutorials on the website to dial in the offset, etc for your board, then it takes about 30 minutes to get ready after you've put it together. I just duct taped it to my headphones for the "install" after it was soldered up.

Faith

Lol I love the official forum. Someone made it to a Type 7 and lost everything. How is that even possible? Make 20M CR and not knowing how to play the game?

Nymerio

I built my EDtracker up yesterday. Didn't have much time to play as I spent most of the time configuring it up and adjusting my settings - I found you really need to set a small deadzone in the bindings or you just end up with motion sickness.

It works pretty well for just moving your view around. I found it didn't really work for the menus as I couldn't focus on the screen all that well with my head tilted, but YMMV.

Putting it together if you buy the base board for £5 and the arduino/accelerometer/button separately is really easy if you are "ok" or better at soldering. I'm pretty crap and I still managed to get it done. If you follow the tutorials on the website to dial in the offset, etc for your board, then it takes about 30 minutes to get ready after you've put it together. I just duct taped it to my headphones for the "install" after it was soldered up.

Did you use freetrack for the tracking? It's a big improvement if you use that and enable the noise filtering thing. You can also adjust the curves to whatever suits you best, so you don't have to move your head as far to focus on the side screens.

Dougald

Did you use freetrack for the tracking? It's a big improvement if you use that and enable the noise filtering thing. You can also adjust the curves to whatever suits you best, so you don't have to move your head as far to focus on the side screens.

No, I used the base software, didn't have much time to mess around to be honest. I will probably check that out next time I have some time to play, all I really did was fine-tune the device then mess around flying around lave station for 5 minutes. Is freetrack the one to use then? The EDTracker software only really has a couple settings

It doesn't help that I have trouble focusing with my left eye, so I found the right-hand panel hard to read.

glaurung

I am kind of interested in picking this up, but I am afraid the game is too hardcore for me sticking with it. I also guess there are no discounts for this game available anywhere?

What features are they planning to add in the short and long run?

hurricanepilot

Neo Member
Great, there is far too much judder by default for my liking, I'll give that a try

I use the base software as well, but I have it set to exponential acceleration for head tracking.

Works better than linear as it essentially ignores small movements.

Do have to reset mine a lot, though, especially if I look off in one direction for overly long.

Nymerio

Lol I love the official forum. Someone made it to a Type 7 and lost everything. How is that even possible? Make 20M CR and not knowing how to play the game?

I've managed to get my ship blow up by a station because I forgot to ask for docking permission. Mistakes were made :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom