• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklord

Banned
I'm using the X52. It's hard to get used too. I feel like I shoot everywhere but the actual target. I kinda wish the joystick was just a little bit, I dunno, tighter? What's the best way to get behind enemies too? Is there a way I can do a hard 90 degree turn? It feels like I'm swimming in hommus in this ship.

I'm using the X52. It's hard to get used too. I feel like I shoot everywhere but the actual target. I kinda wish the joystick was just a little bit, I dunno, tighter? What's the best way to get behind enemies too? Is there a way I can do a hard 90 degree turn? It feels like I'm swimming in hommus in this ship.

if you go too slow or too fast your turning capacity get lower, set the throttle in the blue area to maximize ships manovrability

Putosaure

Did my first 3 missions last night... Made only ~25k CR, but it was worth it.
I didn't want to do any fighting missions yet, I think I'm not prepared. And space seems so calm and quiet when exploring and collecting stuff.

Best 50€ I've ever spent in a game.

Bust Nak

How do these "find cargo xy with special information in system z" missions work? Do I have to cargo scan each and every one until I find the one with it?
Go to system z and look for unidentified signal sources. They spawn as you fly around in supercruse. You are looking for ones with free floating cargo canisters, simply scoop them up and return them. You don't need a cargo scan for canisters floating in space. Be mindful about scooping up cargo other that what is specified, they are marked as stolen and you'll need a black market to sell them.

Pro-tip: slow all the way down in supercruse and the USS will spawn already in safe disengage range.

just did my first warzone. aren't these supposed to be conflicts between two different factions? I just found a bunch of federal navy ships shooting each other. when i fired on one, about half of them became red, so there seemed to be two factions there, but I couldn't figure out what they were. is this a bug or am i missing something?

BLunted

Banned
Evidently there is a glitch affecting some players right now where they aren't getting bounty credit. I'm one of the lucky guys affected. I get a kill, reward pops up, then nothing in transactions and nothing to turn in at either fed or empire stations. Ugh :(

Just tonight, I noticed it was taking like a min or two for mine to show up in the transactions tab.

Nymerio

just did my first warzone. aren't these supposed to be conflicts between two different factions? I just found a bunch of federal navy ships shooting each other. when i fired on one, about half of them became red, so there seemed to be two factions there, but I couldn't figure out what they were. is this a bug or am i missing something?

On the right panel you can set which faction you want to fight for.

Sarcasm

So...what is the difference between

Hypercruise and Supercruise? I assume one is the hidden loading screen when you go between systems.

Also do 8K screenshots still exist? How do I take them? How do I change the keybinding? And where do they go?

Xane

So...what is the difference between

Hypercruise and Supercruise? I assume one is the hidden loading screen when you go between systems.

Also do 8K screenshots still exist? How do I take them? How do I change the keybinding? And where do they go?

I think it was ALT + F10 for 8k screenshots. But only in Solo.

FatboyTim

Don't even know why I bother playing in "open play". Unless it's a big station it's a constant stream of "docking request denied" until I quit and go back in under solo.
Are you within 7.5km of the platform when you make the request?

I was getting frustrated by docking request denials, until I read about that.

I haven't had a request denied since. :)

FatboyTim

My trading route profit increased 12% overnight. Now I'm at 2450CR/ton, with my ASP 291.000 CR/run (with fuel) and it takes 10 minutes, so 1.75M CR/hour.

I can't find every upgrade for my ASP. Where should I go to find everything?

"CD-51 102" seems to have everything in stock.

FatboyTim

On your right-hand menu, under 'Functions', you should be able to choose a side.

If you choose the faction with control of a nearby station, it should allow you to claim combat bonds (3000CR per kill) afterwards, (if you survive.)

SLV

alt-f10 only works in solo mode, not sure if you're in public or not.

I am in solo mode, when i physically push it on the keyboard, the game freezes, the picture is taken, when i say it, nothing happens, single command things like cargo, landing gear etc work, combo does not.

Crysis averted, it had to be just push for combos, single buttons did not work for me unless push and release.

Darklord

Banned
So I just started the main game and took a cargo run mission. Does it automatically load it onto your ship? I can't tell if I have it or not.

Putosaure

So I just started the main game and took a cargo run mission. Does it automatically load it onto your ship? I can't tell if I have it or not.

Check the right panel in your ship in the cargo menu, if it's empty then check back the mission log to know why.

Darklord

Banned
Check the right panel in your ship in the cargo menu, if it's empty then check back the mission log to know why.

Ah ok. It is there. Thanks. Now one other issue, it says it take it to a station in the next star system. I flew there, requested to dock and I'm denied. I wish it would bloody tell you why or tell you anything. So I just fail the mission now?

Tendo

Ah ok. It is there. Thanks. Now one other issue, it says it take it to a station in the next star system. I flew there, requested to dock and I'm denied. I wish it would bloody tell you why or tell you anything. So I just fail the mission now?

When that happens I just spam request docking until it finally lets me in. It can take awhile. I hate the smaller stations with only 3 pads :(

Darklord

Banned
When that happens I just spam request docking until it finally lets me in. It can take awhile. I hate the smaller stations with only 3 pads :(

So it's full? Of other players? It should just say it then. This game gives such little feedback. Like when it says an undiscovered thing has been found. Ok? I don't know what to do with that. I'm sure I'll figure it out but I wish space sim games explained stuff better.

Did my first 3 missions last night... Made only ~25k CR, but it was worth it.
I didn't want to do any fighting missions yet, I think I'm not prepared. And space seems so calm and quiet when exploring and collecting stuff.

Best 50€ I've ever spent in a game.

I'd genuinely suggest doing lots of fighting while you have that sidewinder to throw away. Get a feel for it early with the stock ship so you can have the free replacements to cover your back. I'ts much better than saving up for a cobra then losing it and all your upgrades as you figure out the fighting techniques.

So it's full? Of other players? It should just say it then. This game gives such little feedback. Like when it says an undiscovered thing has been found. Ok? I don't know what to do with that. I'm sure I'll figure it out but I wish space sim games explained stuff better.

Actually I find Elite: Dangerous is considerably worse at explaining itself than any other space sim. Typically you'd find some sort of indication of what to do, but with E:D I've had to look to others for advice practically every step of the way unless I was lucky enough to figure it out during beta. I'm extremely overwhelmed trying to figure out how to navigate my way around personally since I have no idea how the galaxy map/system map works despite having read the guide on it. All the wording in that guide is about as overly complex as it could be, it does a great job at further confusing you.

Tendo

Any dogfighting tips? How do I do those quick flips that the computer does? Like, I'll be tailing a cobra and it'll flip real fast and come whipping back at me head on, but it takes me forever to turn to get behind it. Any guides or tutorials on dogfighting tactics and ship control?

toggling flight assist on an off will open up a lot of new techniques while dogfighting. Faster turns, moving in one direction while facing another etc.

Nymerio

Try to have your thrusters in the blue area when you are turning, for really fast turns you disable flight assist, turn and then re-enable it. You can also do cool stuff if you use your lateral thrusters when turning, i.e. pitching in one direction but thrusting in another.

Putosaure

I'd genuinely suggest doing lots of fighting while you have that sidewinder to throw away. Get a feel for it early with the stock ship so you can have the free replacements to cover your back. I'ts much better than saving up for a cobra then losing it and all your upgrades as you figure out the fighting techniques.

Good point. So well, does it means that whenever I die, I go back to the Vanilla Sidewinder ?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Good point. So well, does it means that whenever I die, I get back to the Vanilla Sidewinder ?

No, but you'll have to pay the insurance fee to keep your ship. I believe insurance is 5% of the value of the ship, and 5% of the installed modules.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Any dogfighting tips? How do I do those quick flips that the computer does? Like, I'll be tailing a cobra and it'll flip real fast and come whipping back at me head on, but it takes me forever to turn to get behind it. Any guides or tutorials on dogfighting tactics and ship control?

Try to have your thrusters in the blue area when you are turning, for really fast turns you disable flight assist, turn and then re-enable it. You can also do cool stuff if you use your lateral thrusters when turning, i.e. pitching in one direction but thrusting in another.

On a 360 controller, I'm using the advanced controller setup mostly unchanged except I added bindings for:
A = 50%
X = 100%
Y = 75%

Every time you disable flight assist, the throttle gets reset. The 50% bind is there to have an instant way to get back to max maneuverability. Toggle FA on to drift a bit and reorient, toggle off and hit 50% to get back in motion, maybe hit 100% if you need to chase.

The 75% one is for quickly setting to the blue zone for supercruise deceleration.

I had B mapped to 0% for a while but it was too much trouble hitting it as part of changing screens. I put that on X+Down instead but I haven't used it much.

Dougald

I tried the gamma with kb/m and then a 360 controller for half an hour the day before I got my HOTAS. It just doesn't compare.

Sarcasm

I have only tried kbm and controller. Kbm is my choice. Can pull some sick moves with no fa and my quick & sticky docks are sweet.

It really could down to setting up your hotkeys honestly.

Raticus79

you control the brightness with your hotas Oo

"Gamma" there refers to the game release after Beta, not the display option

I can't even imagine playing this on a controller or even kb/m. I think my fingers would end up knots.

The advanced controller setup is actually quite efficient thanks to the concept of button combos as unique inputs. It's a bit like a chording keyboard. It does take a fair bit of memorization though. I've been holding off on a HOTAS because I have an order in for a STEM. I'm happy enough with a controller in the mean time.

Raticus79

Check out the official comments on this thread - they're being very open about the state of the simulation:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=97577&page=3&p=1517168&viewfull=1#post1517168

Some things are automated, some aren't. Factions can expand into previously colonized systems and take over via civil war, but colonization of new systems and physical changes like station upgrades are manual.

I put in a support ticket for Ho Hsi tied to that queueing issue he mentioned to make sure they follow up on any pending changes there related to the civil war.

The Diablo III patch is tonight, so I'll be out of here for a while. Hopefully the faction bugs are fixed by the time I'm finished up there.

Effect

So upgraded to an Adder last night. Actually wasted money and more so time doing this I think. I went from a sidewinder to a hauler then back to a sidewinder after a few missions as I found it boring just trading. Especially with having to wait to dock. Then an Adder, then back to the Sidewinder and then to the Adder again and I think I'm done with the indecision. That's where I'm going to stop at the moment and just upgrade this. I was having trouble deciding what I wanted to do and reading up it seemed like the Adder in the end is really the best ship if I can't make up my mine at this point. I should be able to trade, do some combat, and explore.

Right now I'm trying to make my way as close as possible to the Sol system.I know I won't be able to enter it but curious as to how much money I'll make along the way from jumping in and out of systems.

Do you get more money from system exploration if you take the time to go around and target all the planets, etc? Or is it based on the update you get about new things being found when first arrive and when you run your scanner?

If I want to keep this jack of trades type of direction which ship should I look toward next?

Wreav

Banned
Cobra should be your next target.

You'll need a detailed scanner which will run you about 1.5mil if you want to maximize your exploration data income, and yes, you'll need to run detailed scan on every body in the system. This can take a really long time if a system is large.

Exploring shouldn't be done for income, it's really really really bad.

Effect

The Cobra. Great ship for the cost.

Cobra should be your next target.

You'll need a detailed scanner which will run you about 1.5mil if you want to maximize your exploration data income, and yes, you'll need to run detailed scan on every body in the system. This can take a really long time if a system is large.

Thanks!

I'll keep that in mind. Exploring seemed like the safe thing to do. Though I guess I could try the ship out in combat and see how that goes and what I can get from that money and cargo wise. I'm really trying to stay away from pure trading as I find just running back and forth between stations kinda boring. Though not as boring as I fear mining might be but haven't tried that yet.

Xanezz

Banned
I'll keep that in mind. Exploring seemed like the safe thing to do. Though I guess I could try the ship out in combat and see how that goes and what I can get from that money and cargo wise. I'm really trying to stay away from pure trading as I find just running back and forth between stations kinda boring. Though not as boring as I fear mining might be but haven't tried that yet.

This.

Let me put it this way, for a system with 3 black holes, 2 A class stars and about 8 other medium stars I got around 180k credits. That's near the absolute high end in what you can earn from one system.
In total my first 4 hour trip to the coal sack nebula made me around 650k. Trading for the same amount of time would have made me like 5 million credits. But that is a lot less intersting.

Exploration is very time consuming, but can be very relaxing if you don't mind spending a lot of time just looking at stuff.

Just going out there with a base scan and a fuel scoop isn't going to net you massive profits, but can be fun and get you the rough idea of what to do.

----
Warning, exploration explanation dump below.
----

Here's a nice easy chart to get you started on getting the most out of exploration: http://i.imgur.com/drpwsZb.jpg
You don't want to scan absolutely everything in a system when you go exploring. You can tell what a planet will most likely consist of when you look at the different models in the system map.

With a base Dscan you'll probably get the first few planets in a system in one scan at best. If you fly out there keep scanning and subsequently looking at your system map.

You're probably not getting a deep surface scanner yet, as you don't have the money for it, so scanning most of the stuff you find around the star is your best bet, not sure how well the discovery itself pays.

As mentioned, you'll prob want a 500k deep surface scanner if you want to go serious on actually earning anything decent from exploration. It'll tell you what planets and suns consist of, increasing the payment.
A metal rich planet might just look like a rocky world unless you get a DSS, and you'll get a lot less for finding it.

----
The general idea is to jump into an uncharted system, use your D-scan (base one scans everything within 500Ls, intermediate scans up to 1000Ls and the advanced scans the entire system)
You select the sun, scan it. That's about 300cr average for a medium star (M-K class). You look at the system map, look for high metal content and earth like planets and water worlds.

Gas giants usually have tons of moons, but neither the gas giants nor the moons are worth a lot of money. Finding gas giants that are suitable for life seems to be as likely as a lottery win, or I've just gotten unlucky.
Scan the giant if you want to look at it (they're quite pretty sometimes), ignore the moons, usually. Rocky icy worlds are a waste of time usually, and not very interesting to look at unless you really like snow balls. If a moon looks completely different you might want to find it and scan it, but chances are it's the same as the others, a rocky or icy world.

Stations will always show up once you enter the system.

Another tip if you dont have the 1.5mil scanner, you can tell how large a system is by moving around the system map and seeing where the edges are. If you can move the map down below the star you landed at, there might be another star in the system. These are usually pretty far away, but maybe you can already see it while flying around. You can scan other stars from significantly farther away.

Another tip is looking for things actually in the system while flying around. If there's a bright spot moving around while you're going fast (20-50c) it's probably a planet reflecting light from the star, fly closer to it and keep scanning. Use the parallax, luke!

Make the decision where to jup next when exploring based on the color of the star in the galaxy map (use the natural star color filter). If you click o na system it might also tell you what kind of classes of stars you can be expecting to find. Sometimes it even tells you about black holes in advance.

Going to HIP named systems will usually give you some intersting results, as those are usually A class dual star systems, sometimes you'll find black holes with them. Very profitable and interesting too look at!

Another thing to look for are HD systems. They're part of the bright star catalogue, so usually also dual or high intensity stars.

Darklord

Banned
As annoying as the lack of any decent tutorial is I have to say, I don't think I'm ever going to get sick of that hyperspace effect. I REALLY want an occulus just to see that with it.

Go to system z and look for unidentified signal sources. They spawn as you fly around in supercruse. You are looking for ones with free floating cargo canisters, simply scoop them up and return them. You don't need a cargo scan for canisters floating in space. Be mindful about scooping up cargo other that what is specified, they are marked as stolen and you'll need a black market to sell them.

Pro-tip: slow all the way down in supercruse and the USS will spawn already in safe disengage range.
thanks a bunch! I thought I need to kill someone after scanning the cargo.

Effect

Are you within 7.5km of the platform when you make the request?

I was getting frustrated by docking request denials, until I read about that.

I haven't had a request denied since. :)

Oh I can be hovering right above it about 1km away or less and still get it the denial. I've stared at clearly empty landing platforms as well.

Edit:

Can the stations and outpost be destroyed? If a group of people decided to combine their firepower could they take one, and its defenses, out?

Cimarron

Oh I can be hovering right above it about 1km away or less and still get it the denial. I've stared at clearly empty landing platforms as well.

Edit:

Can the stations and outpost be destroyed? If a group of people decided to combine their firepower could they take one, and its defenses, out?

The closer I am to a station the more likely I get a denial for docking. But maybe it ios just me. :p

Are they small stations? I'm almost constantly getting denial from them, I usually have to sit around for a few minutes and watch for somebody leaving before I can get approval. Distance doesn't seem to have any effect but it's not uncommon for all the bays to be in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom