• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shifty76

Is there a good guide to what ship to buy after the starting one? I know the OT lists them but I'd like an idea what to work towards. I'm thinking mining might be fun but I want to try out combat some before deciding.

Edit: Oh and if I take a Naval progression mission does it lock me into that path? Sorry for all the questions.
Adder is a solid multipurpose ship that you can do anything in.

I must be doing this wrong. Mission in an area to hunt 2 bounty hunters, go there, just sit at 30k/h jumping into all the USS, none are wanted, I'm assuming the Kscanner after the normal scan would pick stuff up but nothing pops up after "complete". Multiple items and random NPC's but not a single one in 40 minutes that had a "bounty" or wanted.

Plus, I can't figure out how to get my T7 out of storage. Does it display where it's at on the System Map? It should be in the hanger I'm in but it may not be, I know it's in this system .. and does a medium ship docking make it difficult to get a large out? I haven't switched ships until now, always sold.

Either way, bounty hunting seems as boring as trading at this point and there's NO money involved! I can only assume I'm doing something wrong, any pointers for these missions?

Anybody?

How does hunting for bounty hunters for a mission's work? I'm in Anarchy so everybody is clean so I use my KWS but everybody has come up clean for that also. How do I get these two kills needed for the mission in this sector? Spent like an hour jumping in and out of USS.

And my T7 isn't in the "stored ships". It shows the "locations" and I see it 1206Ls next to it, but I'm in that system it's stored (almost 90% sure I'm in the station I stored it at) and there's nothing that is 1206Ls away from me ... It's a Large pad ship and I'm flying a Medium pad ship ... does that make a difference? I assume it can't give me a Large pad ship on Medium, but how does that work?

Oh well, guess I'll start working my way back up.

I see they put the Lugh system in Galnet - nice touch.

2876801951.jpg

http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDanger...lugh_made_the_galnet_players_are_influencing/

Interesting foreshadowing about the federation potentially doing something about it. Maybe they'll have a story event in Lugh.
How much of that is part of the "living universe" procedural content? I'm just curious whether they are curating these types of news items or whether the backend has bene provided various templates to use.

Shifty76

Anybody?

How does hunting for bounty hunters for a mission's work? I'm in Anarchy so everybody is clean so I use my KWS but everybody has come up clean for that also. How do I get these two kills needed for the mission in this sector? Spent like an hour jumping in and out of USS.

And my T7 isn't in the "stored ships". It shows the "locations" and I see it 1206Ls next to it, but I'm in that system it's stored (almost 90% sure I'm in the station I stored it at) and there's nothing that is 1206Ls away from me ... It's a Large pad ship and I'm flying a Medium pad ship ... does that make a difference? I assume it can't give me a Large pad ship on Medium, but how does that work?
Bounty hunters will always be clean. Fly to a nav beacon and fly around until you come across a ship that scans you then gives you the message that you're clean. Those guys are the bounty hunters. System authority vessels obviously don't count.

Regarding your T7 just look at the system map in the system it's stored at. There will be a bluish ship icon at the station it's located.

Nymerio

I think that's the one with the gyro/accelerometer. It should eliminate or at least help with yaw drift. The firmware for that is still in beta AFAIK, but I didn't have any problems with it. If you don't mind the extra cost I'd recommend it.

Dougald

If you're building your own the price difference is about £2 I think. I didn't get it because I didn't care. There is a little bit of drift with mine even after painstakingly configuring it though, so maybe I should have spent the 2 quid

Bounty hunters will always be clean. Fly to a nav beacon and fly around until you come across a ship that scans you then gives you the message that you're clean. Those guys are the bounty hunters. System authority vessels obviously don't count.

Regarding your T7 just look at the system map in the system it's stored at. There will be a bluish ship icon at the station it's located.

Cool, thanks. I also looked at the map, I remember seeing the icon when I had my old Cobra before selling it and such a while back ... but it wasn't there in the system map. I'll have to see if it was just bugged. I was going to do a couple trade runs really quick before calling it a night, so after I turned off the game I hadn't relogged back in.

Hopefully just a bug lol, that T7 is decked out!

If you're building your own the price difference is about £2 I think. I didn't get it because I didn't care. There is a little bit of drift with mine even after painstakingly configuring it though, so maybe I should have spent the 2 quid

Damn, wish I would have upgraded. I didn't know there were that many improvements. I just received the 6050 pre-built version yesterday and have yet to set it up. I don't use headphones and don't like wearing a hat ... I'm literally going to have a Head Tracking Tiara it seems or something similar LOL.

How bad is the drift? You just reset it by looking at the center and hitting the button right? That's not too much of a problem.

Dougald

How bad is the drift? You just reset it by looking at the center and hitting the button right? That's not too much of a problem.

Its not that bad, I only hit the button every 15 minutes or so

The prebuilt one is probably better as its
1. not soldered by me
2. not using cheap knock-off parts from hong kong to save money

Megasoum

Banned

I imagine that if you build it yourself you need to solder stuff?

Dougald

Yes, you have to solder a button, 3 header pin boards, the arduino and the accelerometer in. It's something like 44 connections, took me about half an hour - theres a video on their site

In about 7 hours I've accumulated around 16k, can anyone help me get past the first hurdle in finance? I had no trouble in the Beta getting cash but now I'm lucky to find a mission I know what to do with. My ship only has a cargo hold of 4 so trading is hardly worth it right now, and courier missions are a rare treat for me it seems.

I tried going to some signal sources etc to hunt bounties, but despite the rarity of finding one anyway I was only lucky enough to get one kill, everyone else seemed to be getting the credit for the rest with their superior weapons. I also keep getting missions to go pick up data of some sort or something like that, black boxes etc, but I have no idea how to find them once I get to the system. I just end up drifting from place to place until I run out of fuel.

Where am I going wrong? I used to have plenty of trade missions to do but now I just don't know where to begin. It's really frustrating because I've had a good amount of practice at dogfights now but I still don't even know the first thing about what to do. I'd like to try mining etc too but I just can't get any money.

Its not that bad, I only hit the button every 15 minutes or so

The prebuilt one is probably better as its
1. not soldered by me
2. not using cheap knock-off parts from hong kong to save money

That's not that bad, I guess they shoot for 30 minutes until it starts happening with the pre-built ones.

Still have to figure out what I want to attach it to! Might just have to get a wireless headset or something but I don't usually play with headphones at all.

In about 7 hours I've accumulated around 16k, can anyone help me get past the first hurdle in finance? I had no trouble in the Beta getting cash but now I'm lucky to find a mission I know what to do with. My ship only has a cargo hold of 4 so trading is hardly worth it right now, and courier missions are a rare treat for me it seems.

I tried going to some signal sources etc to hunt bounties, but despite the rarity of finding one anyway I was only lucky enough to get one kill, everyone else seemed to be getting the credit for the rest with their superior weapons. I also keep getting missions to go pick up data of some sort or something like that, black boxes etc, but I have no idea how to find them once I get to the system. I just end up drifting from place to place until I run out of fuel.

Where am I going wrong? I used to have plenty of trade missions to do but now I just don't know where to begin. It's really frustrating because I've had a good amount of practice at dogfights now but I still don't even know the first thing about what to do. I'd like to try mining etc too but I just can't get any money.

I've found that bounty hunting at nav beacons and resource extraction sites is a quick and easy way of getting some cash, even in non-anarchy systems. In both cases, the moment you enter the instance there are either a few ships already and more will continuously keep coming. Same thing with resource extraction sites, if you find a planet with a ring, usually there's mining going on. And where there's mining, there are pirates coming in continuously and trying to attack the miners etc. It's also advisable to get a warrant scanner (you mount it and use it as a weapon) since it adds all bounties the wanted ship may have from other systems as well (you can check the rewards the wanted ship will give you in the left UI panel under Contacts).

It's advisable to disable reporting crimes done against you (in the right UI panel) but in any case, my experience is that the police will eventually start attacking you, even if you only attack wanted ships. But if they do, just supercruise out and back in and you're golden. If you happen to graze a clean or police ship and get a wanted status, remember to check which stations/outposts don't have the wanted sign in the solar system map screen so you don't get blown off while docking just because you wanted to pay off that 400cr fine.

I managed to rack up 300-400k this way in a couple of days and got a Cobra (was lucky there was a group effort of everyone attacking a wanted Anaconda, got 50k just for that one kill). Haven't played in two weeks, pretty busy these days and this game is a damn time sink. Unfortunately, I'm not feeling much of a pull to go back into Elite, there's something about cumbersome mission structure and supercruise that makes the whole thing a bit more of a chore that I'd like. Can't wait for planetary landings and the other expansions though.

Kill Warrant Scanners are crucial. I'm not sure how it actually works (whether or not there are actual bounties out for these ships vs. a simulation of additional bounties) but I've had 20-30k added onto a Wanted ship due to the KWS. This typically only happens if their bounties are already significant (30-40k bounties); for smaller ships with 2-10k bounties, I've only seen a couple grand added to them, which makes me wonder if it's just simulation/roll for each Wanted ship to add X% to the bounty.

Anyway, get a KWS if you are gonna be bounty hunting.

What does a better KWS do? Just increase range or can it increase the amount of bounties it "may find"

It is a hardpoint, so it needs to be assigned to a fire group and then "fired" at a target once you're in range, in order to scan. I assume that better scanners are faster or have a longer range. When you scan a ship, they will most likely try to fly away or at least deploy hardpoints.

And yes, it has a chance of increasing the bounty total for a Wanted ship, via finding bounties on that ship in systems other than the one you're currently in.

Thanks, guess I shall go back to the bounty hunting then. I think I may just be landing in pretty poor places to actually try this stuff since I've not even found an anarchy system yet. Saying that I also didn't know I was missing out on bounties picked up from other systems either so hopefully it should be a lot easier to find a target.

Wreav

Banned
Kill Warrant Scanners are crucial. I'm not sure how it actually works (whether or not there are actual bounties out for these ships vs. a simulation of additional bounties) but I've had 20-30k added onto a Wanted ship due to the KWS. This typically only happens if their bounties are already significant (30-40k bounties); for smaller ships with 2-10k bounties, I've only seen a couple grand added to them, which makes me wonder if it's just simulation/roll for each Wanted ship to add X% to the bounty.

Anyway, get a KWS if you are gonna be bounty hunting.

I'd disagree, only because it's faster to kill 1-2 more Cobras than it is to jump to another alliance's system to collect a few measly thousands. I stopped using the KWS almost immediately. Does nothing to add to the current system's bounty.

Thanks, guess I shall go back to the bounty hunting then. I think I may just be landing in pretty poor places to actually try this stuff since I've not even found an anarchy system yet. Saying that I also didn't know I was missing out on bounties picked up from other systems either so hopefully it should be a lot easier to find a target.

FYI, if you are looking for Anarchy systems you can filter on the Galaxy Map for factions.

It is a hardpoint, so it needs to be assigned to a fire group and then "fired" at a target once you're in range, in order to scan. I assume that better scanners are faster or have a longer range. When you scan a ship, they will most likely try to fly away or at least deploy hardpoints.

And yes, it has a chance of increasing the bounty total for a Wanted ship, via finding bounties on that ship in systems other than the one you're currently in.

Yeah, I had a D class then tried an C class and I didn't notice any difference, was just curious if it fires faster, longer range and/or would find found bounties that reached 'further' ... like say, if you had a low-end KWS, it may find bounties for 4 systems, but if you had a high end it could possibly look at 10 systems ... but doubt that's the case.

On a side note, I have dubbed this game Elite: Dangerous For Relationships.

I'd disagree, only because it's faster to kill 1-2 more Cobras than it is to jump to another alliance's system to collect a few measly thousands. I stopped using the KWS almost immediately. Does nothing to add to the current system's bounty.

It's worth the few seconds of scanning, IMO. It's not like you lose anything, especially since Wanted ships are typically scanned by NPCs and attacked anyway. You get to scan while the ship is fighting someone else.

As for bounties in other systems, it's been rare for me that it's such a specific system that it's a hassle (like Social Manxte Independent Alliance or whatever). I mostly get extra Empire and Alliance bounties and have about 40k to turn in for each. I'm not going to go to one of those systems out of my way, but if I pass through one during my travels, I'll turn it in. Again, the few seconds of scan time are worth it for me.

I also rarely die :D So I typically have bounties waiting to cash in "when I get a chance".

Shifty76

Either bounty hunt at RES sites or go to outpost stations (the ones with outdoor landing pads) and take those black box / ancient artifacts / rebel transmissions etc missions. They pay 10-15k per and take 5-10 mins to do. Just go to the listed system and check all USS's until you find them then scoop em up and return.

The reason I recommend doing it from outposts is because security is non-existent. Once you get confident with avoiding scans then you could work towards taking them on from other stations.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

You don't turn in your external bounties after every couple of kills man. You let them accumulate. Also helps if you're in a system near multiple governments.

Dougald

With the EDTracker, does it need to be mounted "on top" or lying flat when you recenter? I saw somebody had it on the side of a hat here. This looks like a solution I could go for.

If you reconfigure it in the firmware you can set the positioning. IIRC that's whether its on its side or flat, and which side the cable is on.

Shifty76

Regarding the KWS: each grade adds 1k to the scan range. I run one in the same fire group as a cargo scanner so one scan shows both bounties and cargo. Every now & then I'll come across a target that is clean in the current system but has 10k+ bounty in another, so I'll take the fine/bounty and kill it. Often they're also carrying illegal goods, so I'll hold off on the kill and let them jettison those then finish them off. That way I can scoop the cargo and sell it too, which is more than enough to pay off the bounty I earned for killing a "clean" target.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
How much of that is part of the "living universe" procedural content? I'm just curious whether they are curating these types of news items or whether the backend has bene provided various templates to use.

I'm pretty sure this kind of news is all manual for now. They go into more detail about the automated changes vs manual changes in the galaxy simulation in the dev responses on this thread:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=97577&page=3&p=1517168&viewfull=1#post1517168

Sarcasm

So I got music working with VA with VLC but VLC kind of sucks. Hotkeys aren't accepted most of the time..even when I have VLC in focus! Even have the key in global.

Anything else I can use?

Jedi2016

So I got music working with VA with VLC but VLC kind of sucks. Hotkeys aren't accepted most of the time..even when I have VLC in focus! Even have the key in global.

Anything else I can use?
I'm still running WinAmp, but I haven't put it through its paces yet with VA and Elite.

Anything else I can use?

Try this.

https://commandlinemedia.codeplex.com/documentation

All you do is download and unzip the file somewhere, ask VoiceAttack to run that program for your command and use the provided shortcuts by putting them in the 'run with these parameters' box you'll get when asking VA to run a program. So say for example you wanted to skip a track, you would put in the parameters vlc -nt

McArkus

I'm really enjoining this game, find relaxing to just explore different stars and also doing cargo jobs. Right now flying a Cobra, but I want an ASP so I can go an explore more.

Atomski

How come the auto speed works flawlessly most the time but now and then it just goes bonkers goes way to fast making you miss your target.

Really random.

Jedi2016

How come the auto speed works flawlessly most the time but now and then it just goes bonkers goes way to fast making you miss your target.

Really random.
Never random, there's something causing it. Probably another planet that you're not factoring in.. although the game will typically slow you down near massive objects, it also factors in the "slingshot effect" of zipping past one too close while moving fast. This seems to happen more often around planets with lots of moons or asteroids. Also dependent on what angle you approach planetary systems like that from.

wrongway

Really random.

It should work every time if you throttle down to the blue section in time. The closest you can cut it is when your ETA hits 6-7 seconds, otherwise you'll overshoot if you don't make some hard turns to scrub off speed.

Atomski

Never random, there's something causing it. Probably another planet that you're not factoring in.. although the game will typically slow you down near massive objects, it also factors in the "slingshot effect" of zipping past one too close while moving fast. This seems to happen more often around planets with lots of moons or asteroids. Also dependent on what angle you approach planetary systems like that from.
This must be what it is. Though flying by some planets dosnt seem to effect it at all.

Shifty76

How well or not will my performance be?
Win 8.1
i5 - 4690k 3.5GHz
8GB
Geforce GTX 750 Ti

I'm running on an X1100T with 12GB and a 6870 and it's super smooth on high settings at 1080p res. You'll be fine.

I can now afford to buy an Imperial Clipper, and my faction relationship is high enough too (though I'm definitely not baron rank), but I'm thinking I should grind up another 10m or so to cover incidentals. Ships are no fun if you can only get the base model.

So I finally broke down and bought the game. haven't taken the dive on a HOTAS yet, so i'm starting out w/ the controller. Any recommendations between the three controller setups?

I'm running on an X1100T with 12GB and a 6870 and it's super smooth on high settings at 1080p res. You'll be fine.

I can now afford to buy an Imperial Clipper, and my faction relationship is high enough too (though I'm definitely not baron rank), but I'm thinking I should grind up another 10m or so to cover incidentals. Ships are no fun if you can only get the base model.

This was me on my Python journey. Screwed up with my math and was 10m short of making it worthwhile, had to return it and lost 7m out of the deal. I ended up keeping my decked out T7 and just outright buying and kitting out an Asp to run around and do stuff besides trading.

I think the speed difference is crazy, I have all A stuff except power I think and the Asp is quick, but it "feels" like it handles worse than my T7! But it's also travelling at twice the speed. I have the KWS, and all the good stuff, plus it's cheap as hell to run compared to the Python. I couldn't imagine doing these little quests and such for rank in a Python, would cost me tens of thousands just in fuel, not much for a day, but I'm trying to get Imperial Clipper rank at the moment, think I might buy that ship too.

I'm pretty happy with all the ships up to Python and/or the Anaconda, the running costs are just not worth it for day to day stuff, as strict traders with proper fitting, I could see it. But I think I'll just eventually get a Type 9 and park it in a really busy station where there's always a short route that can net me 500k in 10 minutes.

Decisions ... decisions ...

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'm back up to about 2.5 million assets. Think I'll head over to imperial space for a bit and work on that faction so I can get a clipper later.

There's a high tech system down there, Hatmehing, that looked like it could be about on par with Leesti as a home base.

1.05 Patch Notes are up:

Hi everyone,

update 1.05 is incoming. The servers will be closed at 11am GMT to apply the update and will be down for up to 30 minutes. Here is the change log for this update:

- Fixed crash when launching limpets
- Fixed some system meta data mismatches between client and server
- Memory use improvements and fixes on server
- Fix assert when someone manages to select 'declare bankruptcy' button before UI receives proper data from the game
- Optimise mission template list selection
- When switching servers do not disconnect during the transfer
- Added telemetry for when a player dies to help identify cause of death when players explode near stations
- Added further telemetry to trace failed resource loading
- Fix large quantity missions using "light cargo" text
- Fix salavage coms lines
- Correct reputation on abandon branch of pirate missions
- Fix incorrect destination for massacre branch money collection
- Fix salvage mission branching
- Change order of mission contracts in massacre missions
- Change data that is displayed to players in massacre missions

Server Updates:

- Fixed some issues that stopped some Commanders logging into the Companion App
- Stopped wars and civil wars in star systems with only 1 minor faction in that state
- Added ship discount to Founders World
- Various reliability and performance improvements

Thanks!

Michael

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=99302

Man, sucks that by the time I'd make Elite in any of the professions, I'd have no need for the "Founders World" discount. Maybe for future expansions and ships maybe.

Highest I have right now is "Broker", all the rest are bottom of the barrel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom