• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcasm

I forgot to backup my HUD color =/

Anybody have a good pink one? All pink is awesome but a lot of things in the HUD are close together when all pink.

bsod

Banned
Does anyone know what plans they Frontier has for the game in the future. I know they're working on the "Wings" update which is supposed to make the game more social but is there anything beyond that's known?

I'm only asking because my initial excitement for this game has kinda vanished. I bought a joystick for the first time since the olden days when I used to play X-Wing, Comanche, Falcon, TFX, etc., but after the initial learning curve I've found the game to be pretty shallow and simple.

Tried my hand at bounty hunting and that seemed alright. Go to asteroid belt, find pirates trying to fuck up miners, kill pirates, collect bounty, rinse and repeat.

Then I tried my hand at mining since I enjoyed it enough in Eve Online and thought it would be a cool way to chill, enjoy the cosmos, and make some money. Unfortunately, I've found the economy to be pretty uninteresting since the only things worth any value to miners is palladium, platinum (or titanium?...I forget), gold, and maybe silver if you're desperate. Everything else is worthless it seems. I don't know if it's just bad luck, but apparently metallic rich asteroid belts only have minerals to mine, and the off chance there is some of the metals I've listed the yields are often pretty low and I often deplete the asteroid before I get enough to refine a ton's worth. Maybe I just need to travel further than I already have? Don't know. Besides that, the process of mining is just unfun and not worth the trouble.

I'm thinking of going the explorer route and make my profits that way, however I'm confused about something. Can you only sell cartographic data in unexplored space? If so, is it even worth going down this route this late in the game?

Wreav

Banned
Going through this a lot of these discussions are over a year old. Do we know if these ideas are going to be implemented?

What worries me is this comment in the mining thread:

"It is sad to see that most of the ideas expressed here, went down in the drain."

These are the official design discussion threads which have been archived because they constitute the design plan going forward. Most of what you see in here is on the table for future patches and DLC.

Shifty76

Going through this a lot of these discussions are over a year old. Do we know if these ideas are going to be implemented?

What worries me is this comment in the mining thread:

"It is sad to see that most of the ideas expressed here, went down in the drain."

Exploring is an absolutely terrible money earner. You might cover your costs if you do enough of it.

Mining can be ok, but you need to find good asteroids and the profit is still tiny compared to trading.

bsod

Banned
Exploring is an absolutely terrible money earner. You might cover your costs if you do enough of it.

Mining can be ok, but you need to find good asteroids and the profit is still tiny compared to trading.

Well that's disappointing. How about bounty hunting? Is that profitable enough, and does it evolve beyond stopping at nav beacons/unidentified signal source/asteroid clusters and hoping to find some wanted ships to blow up?

Wreav

Banned
It's OK to play the game without thinking too hard about if you're min/maxing your time. Slow down and enjoy some space.

bsod

Banned
It's OK to play the game without thinking too hard about if you're min/maxing your time. Slow down and enjoy some space.

Believe me, I'm not a min/maxer, which is why I'm not going into trading, and what my earlier post mentions I originally wanted to enjoy the game's simulation of the galaxy. But if mining is tedious, and exploring so unprofitable that it barely covers expenses as Shifty suggested, than what's the point when progression of the game is to buy increasingly better ships? Clearly the game has some economic balance issues to work out.

I think I'll try my hand at bounty hunting some more and hope they flesh this game out in the near future because right now it seems like Frontier built a huge sandbox with only a few toys to play with.

That...is a very boring patch. Oh well.

Very. But this is excitiing!

(emphasis mine)

Hi everyone,

Following up on my post last week I will provide more information on our process moving forwards and dates for the next two major releases. As you’ve seen since the game’s initial release we have issued a number of point updates, the latest being 1.05 this morning. These are typically restricted to urgent and/or low risk changes and will continue on a regular basis as they allow us to respond as we need to. These aren’t scheduled in the same way as the major updates, but will be ongoing.

More significant updates allow us to add new features and content (as well as sweeping up a host of fixes and tweaks that haven’t been deemed suitable for the intermediate point releases).

Currently beta testing will be available for those who already have beta access for the main game. For players participating in the beta tests there will be a separate mechanism for playing so testing does not affect your game and that you can continue to play the retail version as well. Options for players currently without beta access to be able to purchase beta access will be available. Details will be made available nearer the time.

Depending on how the update Betas go in test, we expect them to be released to everyone a week or so after the Beta release.​

As you all know we’re also working on paid expansions for the game and these will have their own beta periods as well, we’ll again make details available of how this will work as we near their release.

The first planned significant update will be 1.1 and will enter beta in the first week of February. We’ll be talking next week about how 1.1 will introduce a new way to collaborate with other players in the galaxy in preparation for 1.2’s major Wings update. We have some some good news for planners of long journeys - V1.1 will also have a significant increase in the maximum distance for the route planner. We’re currently looking at extending this to 1,000 light years!

Looking further ahead there will be a 1.2 update which is planned to enter beta testing in the first week of March. The focus for this update will be Wings and other multiplayer goodness. I’ll provide more detail in future updates.

Thanks

Michael

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=99493

So Wings will most likely be end of March, not really my cup of tea but maybe I'll get into it. I would rather see more single player stuff fleshed out.

Hm... I think I'm going to shelve this game until 1.2. I've had a great time playing it but I don't have much motivation to continue. My Cobra is dressed to the nines but bounty hunting to buy and equip an Asp would just take forever (and bounty hunting in an Asp won't net me any more money anyway). Trading is an option but it'll burn me out way before then.

I love Elite but it just needs to mature some.

Shifty76

Well that's disappointing. How about bounty hunting? Is that profitable enough, and does it evolve beyond stopping at nav beacons/unidentified signal source/asteroid clusters and hoping to find some wanted ships to blow up?

Bounty hunting is ok. If you're good at combat and have a good ship you could pull in 500k/hr.

Nav beacons/RES are the most profitable other than hunting pirate lords, but you need to be REALLY good to be able to take down elite ranked Anacondas easily and efficiently. Well...either really good or have a kitted out python, which will run you 200m+ at which point you don't need the income from bounty hunting anyway...

Extremely disappointed the update they mentioned in December that will be coming early Jan is now coming Mid-Feb. Boo. I will shelve this game for another month then.

elyetis

Hard not to be disapointed by the early 2015 ending up being the middle of the last month of Q1.. if no delay happen. Hopefully 1.1 will be a step big enough during that time to help with the wait.

Wreav

Banned
I'm perfectly fine with mid march, actually. The Order comes out Feb 20, so that gives me 2-3 weeks to take my time and enjoy that before jumping back into ED hardcore.

Yeah, I get why people have been impatient, it was "supposed to be" around launch until they pushed it to early 2015. But I'd much rather see them fix what is there first. Accidental crossfire, reputation gains, mission bugs, etc ... all much more important than Wings for me.

I play this game as a single player game mostly so QoL improvements as well as back end fixes are further up my priority list than any MP focus on the game.

GeoGonzo

Sorry to sound dumb, but that doesn't really mean that much more to me. What do clans mean gameplay wise?
Like a guild, an organization that you and all your friends join and hopefully do stuff together. We don't know any specifics yet.

That timeline is pretty much what I expected, going back to around one substantial update per month, like during alpha/beta (and I expected one month of delays after launch because, damn, they probably really deserved a vacation.).

CpRBe

Neo Member
Hello,

Does anyone have a profile for the X52, I can't find anything but profile for the X52 Pro.

Thank you very much.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I'm at the point now in the game where I have a couple million credits in the bank, I own an Asp and it's kitted out fairly well for exploring, and making money isn't much of a priority for me anymore as the Asp is the ship I want for the long haul. My goal for playing right now is getting Elite rank in exploring. So I'm going to be exploring any and every system I can from now on.

Lately I've actually been bopping around exploring in civilized space, I've found lots of systems that apparently no one has ever been in before as you can't buy any data at all for them. You can now since I've explored them! Not making great money doing it but turning a decent profit, so my bankroll is still trending upwards anyway.

I still need to post my pics from my Pleiades Nebulas adventure. Maybe tonight I'll take some time to do that.

Shifty76

I'm at the point now in the game where I have a couple million credits in the bank, I own an Asp and it's kitted out fairly well for exploring, and making money isn't much of a priority for me anymore as the Asp is the ship I want for the long haul. My goal for playing right now is getting Elite rank in exploring. So I'm going to be exploring any and every system I can from now on.

Lately I've actually been bopping around exploring in civilized space, I've found lots of systems that apparently no one has ever been in before as you can't buy any data at all for them. You can now since I've explored them! Not making great money doing it but turning a decent profit, so my bankroll is still trending upwards anyway.

I still need to post my pics from my Pleiades Nebulas adventure. Maybe tonight I'll take some time to do that.
Do you have the detailed and advanced scanners? I had both yet on my explorer tab it still shows zero level 2 or 3 scans. Not sure what I missed there as I scanned everything. Maybe you need to get really close?

So I've been playing this for a little less than two weeks and I am really liking it. I have a 144Hz monitor and with every setting cranked the game is running at 144fps in most cases, and about 100-120fps in resource extraction sites. It's so smooth it feels like I am actually there, and no game as made me more eager for an Oculus Rift than this.

So far I've got about a half a million credits and a fairly well specced out Cobra Mk III. Thus far I have been mostly doing bounty hunting in resource extraction sites because it seems to be the most fun for me. I know the Cobra isn't supposed to be as good as the Viper for this, but I wanted a ship that would be more diverse in function. I have recently purchase a Frame Shift Interdictor module and have somewhat upgraded from just farming resource extraction sites (although they are more consistent, fast money) and started interdicting some big bad wanted people. Last night I interdicted and killed an Anaconda that had a 78,000 credit bounty on it and it felt so good. He got me down to 40% because I forgot to use my shield cell bank before my shields went down, which added to the tension.

Wreav

Banned
Don't get too excited for the Rift, the final version will only run at 75-90hz, I've heard.

I mean, obviously get excited, but temper your expectations.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Don't get too excited for the Rift, the final version will only run at 75-90hz, I've heard.

I have the Rift DK2 and the motion quality is already quite good, even at 75Hz. The low persistence (strobing) OLED makes it like a CRT, but without the flicker thanks to 75Hz. The only reason I don't use it more often is I prefer the higher res on my Swift for trade work.

I have the Rift DK2 and the motion quality is already quite good, even at 75Hz. The low persistence (strobing) OLED makes it like a CRT, but without the flicker thanks to 75Hz. The only reason I don't use it more often is I prefer the higher res on my Swift for trade work.

Pretty much. Mine has been shelved for a while mainly because of the text readability, note taking, alt-tabbing to play something in the background ... just too many distractions and 'needs' outside of the game. I wish it had an in game KB or voice search, that would be ace.

After a lot of bounty hunting I bought a T6 and started trading. It's more profitable but very boring. How do you deal with it?

It's not for everybody for sure. But I mainly throw on some comedy standup on youtube in the background or music, or the iPad right next to me. I usually have the game on upstairs and just run up, do a quick 8-10 minute run then back to do something like clean the house, start dinner, play with the dog ... etc.. I don't focus 100% attention on the game when I'm in "trading mode". Basically why my 'potential' 2.5m/hour route can turn into 700k after 1.5 hours.

Strangely, I do enjoy it though. I've always been a type of 'grind'-minded gamer though, so it's enjoyable for me. I can't speak for others.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.

Exactly the position I'm in. Only thing in my Asp that isn't fully upgraded is the main power plant, which I think is sitting at C or B. Still getting enough juice for my needs and the 30LY jumps are godlike for exploring.

At this point I'm pretty much just roaming around, exploring and picking up the occasional bounty. It's lovely. At some point I would love to get more rep with Alliance, trouble is there doesn't seem to be any actual point at the moment except for flavor.

Shifty76

After a lot of bounty hunting I bought a T6 and started trading. It's more profitable but very boring. How do you deal with it?

Watch podcasts/streams on another monitor between runs and keep a kitted out viper at the station for when I feel like a break to the tedium.

Raticus79

Pretty much. Mine has been shelved for a while mainly because of the text readability, note taking, alt-tabbing to play something in the background ... just too many distractions and 'needs' outside of the game. I wish it had an in game KB or voice search, that would be ace.

It would be tremendously helpful to just be able to set bookmarks for systems. Say 10 slots allowed on a tab in the in-game HUD. Choose one and it plots a course using your fast/efficient preference set on the galaxy map.

SmartBase

I've shelved the game for now. Its totally unfinished, lacks content, and I don't want to burn myself out on it before the consumer Oculous launch, or if Morpheus is PC compatible.
I'll be back, I'm sure it'll be relaunched when Oculous drops, and it'll be twice the game by then.

I think I'll be doing the same.

edit - Won't even have wings until the end of March at the earliest, definitely a good time to do the above.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I've put it on hold. I've seen all there is to see, had a blast, but all that's left now is grinding for credits.

Don't regret the purchase at all, got like 150 hours out of it, but a break is in order.

bj00rn_

Banned

Wait, what kind of strange angle is this..? The consensus has always been 90Hz. So why this "don't get too excited!" and "temper your expectations" stuff over known specs all of a sudden? "Only" 75Hz-90Hz...? Why did you insert the word "only" here? Very odd. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Wreav

Banned
Wait, what kind of strange angle is this..? The consensus has always been 90Hz. So why this "don't get too excited!" and "temper your expectations" stuff over known specs all of a sudden? "Only" 75Hz-90Hz...? Why did you insert the word "only" here? Very odd. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Because I was talking to a guy that is playing at 144hz and super eager about the rift.

I agree 75-90 is plenty for us 60 plebes.

So what HUD colors are you guys using?

16263551146_d08e69b914_c.jpg

Raticus79

Apparently some systems are seeing changes come through after the patch. They say the root issue isn't fixed but some are showing now at least.

Now to see if Ho Hsi has budged from 50/48.

Have we figured out if there is a way to increase faction reputation without doing missions? Do bounties or trading affect it at all? Trying to make friendly with the Alliance and expand their territory a bit, but I don't know where to begin.

Bounties do affect it, but very slowly.

If I'm doing bounties in a system with both a federation and an alliance station, which faction am I helping by doing bounties? Also, is helping a minor faction always directly helping the major faction they pledge allegiance to?

Sorry for the weird/specific questions, just trying to wrap my head around the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom