• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk buys Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
56701879-10725547-image-a-10_1650163813675.jpg
So either he gets his way or the system is corrupt and rigged?

That's a mature way to go through life.

Boss Mog

Oh c'mon. That's low tier bait. 🙄
I'm just messin' with you.

Listen, I get that you don't want him to own it but he's making a legit offer that will benefit shareholders greatly so there's no reason it shouldn't go through unless the powers that be don't want it to. Isn't it funny that all of a sudden a bunch of government agencies decided to launch investigations into Musk and Tesla:

It reeks of "Stay in your lane or we'll crush you."

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Listen, I get that you don't want him to own it but he's making a legit offer that will benefit shareholders greatly so there's no reason it shouldn't go through unless the powers that be don't want it to. Isn't it funny that all of a sudden a bunch of government agencies decided to launch investigations into Musk and Tesla:

What "powers that be"? The Twitter board? Of course they don't want to be booted out. They also don't want to hand over one of the most popular social media platforms over to a single man. That's a nightmare situation for everyone. Something like Twitter shouldn't be owned by a single person. Especially an ego maniac like Musk who is only doing this flex on his detractors.

ntropy

What "powers that be"? The Twitter board? Of course they don't want to be booted out. They also don't want to hand over one of the most popular social media platforms over to a single man. That's a nightmare situation for everyone. Something like Twitter shouldn't be owned by a single person. Especially an ego maniac like Musk who is only doing this flex on his detractors.
sanity test: what are Elon's plans for Twitter?

If that’s a “nightmare”, you might be living a nightmare everyday with Zuckerberg running Facebook/Instagram or Bezo owning what is widely considered the second most prestigious newspaper in the country. Or Carlos Slim owning The NY Times. Hell, the Chinese government owns TicToc, essentially. All of these companies are owned and operated by rich and powerful people.

If you had even a shred of decency, you would admit that your issue has nothing to do with rich/powerful people running these companies. It has to do with people you don’t agree with being censored in a way that makes you feel like their opinions don’t count.

Nobody_Important

If that’s a “nightmare”, you might be living a nightmare everyday with Zuckerberg running Facebook/Instagram or Bezo owning what is widely considered the second most prestigious newspaper in the country. Or Carlos Slim owning The NY Times. Hell, the Chinese government owns TicToc, essentially. All of these companies are owned and operated by rich and powerful people.

If you had even a shred of decency, you would admit that your issue has nothing to do with rich/powerful people running these companies. It has to do with people you don’t agree with being censored in a way that makes you feel like their opinions don’t count.
I don't have a Facebook, an Instagram, and haven't used the Washington Post or the New York Times as my serious new outlets in awhile. I also don't use Tik Tok. Musk owning Twitter would be far worse than Bezos owning a newspaper or china's interest in Tik Tok because Twitter has a much farther reach than either of them. No one person or entity organized by one person should have that kind of reach and social influence.

You brought up Facebook and Zuckerbot as an example, but even Zuckerberg only owns around 13% of Facebook. If Musk had simply bought a bit more stock we wouldn't be having this conversation because it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but Musk trying to buy all of the stock? That is a big deal.

So yes for me this is EXACTLY about a single person or entity owning something like this and having way more power than they should. I don't think that is in the best interests of anyone. The userbase or the company as well as the world outside of it.

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
Nobody_Important Nobody_Important

I agree no individual or organisation should have such power or influence. The damage has been done and it has come to a stage where someone could potentially bring about the original intention of democratic values.

Whether it is Murdoch, Bezos or a group of rich people, there is always a better option and having a free, open and trustworthy platform is the aim of people supporting Elon.

At the moment, a former President and a parody account are seen as not acceptable. I don't see how it could get worse.

Society would be better if the platform burned down and we see competitors, the current events shed light on what people already have known.

ManaByte

Gold Member

They’re terrified that they won’t be able to ban major newspapers to suppress stories during the next major election, because Musk won’t allow them to do that.

We could have a singular entity, Musk, "controlling" twitter and allowing it to operate openly
or
We could have an army of checkmark/pronoun/bluehairs all controlling twitter as a collective, claiming it's "diverse", and disallowing any wrong-think. I'm not talking about the current board, I'm talking about the oppressive user base.

Nobody_Important

They’re terrified that they won’t be able to ban major newspapers to suppress stories during the next major election, because Musk won’t allow them to do that.
What major newspapers have been banned?

Nobody_Important

Funny how the banning of the NY Post is now memory holed when some are pretending that Twitter doesn’t censor.
They also admitted it was wrong to do.

Also that is one. Are there others? Because I remembered the post, but you made it sound like they've done this multiple times and the only one that I know about is the post and just for that one story.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

No they didn’t. They pretended it was a mistake while also claiming they didn’t ban them for two weeks (they did).
By acknowledging that it should not have happened that is saying that it was wrong to do in the first place. But I'm not going to nitpick that hard I guess.

Nobody_Important

Taking away free speech on a global platform pushes the entire world closer to the values held dear by communist China and North Korea.
I agree almost entirely. The only caveats I would add in there are for hate speech and a couple other things. Besides that I am with you.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Funny how people on Twitter say the same thing while allowing the Taliban and Putin to have accounts while Iran Tweets about destroying Israel.
I have said multiple times now in this thread that Twitter has shit moderation. So I don't disagree with you that its ridiculous.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I have said multiple times now in this thread that Twitter has shit moderation. So I don't disagree with you that its ridiculous.
It isn't bad moderation, it is biased moderation. They look for any minor reason for people they don't like and bend over backwards for those they do like.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s the whole “ if a god bleeds “ deal. If he gets it or not he is 100% showing people the “ behind the curtain” of the people who own and run Twitter and it’s having a global reaction.

He basically just put them in check with the only moves they have is either showing the world they care more about having social control versus money or giving up control for investors to prosper. Either way it’s not good outcome for them.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It’s the whole “ if a god bleeds “ deal. If he gets it or not he is 100% showing people the “ behind the curtain” of the people who run own and run Twitter and it’s having a global reaction.

He basically just put them in check with the only moves they have is either showing the world they care more about having social control versus money or giving up control for investors to prosper. Either way it’s not good outcome for them.
He's also exposing foreign bad actors that have political investments.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Fuckin A, I HATE this trend of slapping a sci-fi skin on what is otherwise a sappy emotional drama that asks no questions and does no exploring of the sci-fi theme. It's clearly lazy bait theming to draw in viewers.

To be faaiiirrr, this has probably always been the case, and over the years I've just edited out the most egregious examples (does Predator really even need an alien?) but I feel like science driven scripts with intelligent and cooperative characters have taken a back seat to dysfunctional bleeding trauma characters with little intellect and even less maturity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom