• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer has laid off 4,857 workers, cancelled 74 games, and closed 36 studios in the last year.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
wow.

I remember a giant wiki page of Embracers studio tree. They had over 100 studios. There were so many who knows what they did or if all of them were even active since many of them were so small they didn’t even a link to their own wiki page.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Sorry Tim And Eric GIF by Adult Swim

Natsuko

That's a lot.

It's a shame. All these takeovers and now we can play bingo as to which brand they'll kill next and which studio they'll close. Unfortunately, it's not funny when people lose their jobs. Embracer is highly unlikable to me ...

RaZoR No1

200.gif

Joking aside...

wtf..
couldnt they manage those games or studios or even merg them instead of firing all of those people?
With so many devs and teams it should be possible to release alot of games and keep them..

It is shocking to see how these big companies manage all of those studios...

Natsuko

200.gif

Joking aside...

wtf..
couldnt they manage those games or studios or even merg them instead of firing all of those people?
With so many devs and teams it should be possible to release alot of games and keep them..

It is shocking to see how these big companies manage all of those studios...
It shouldn't be allowed to buy up studios left and right if you close them down by the dozens.

It is normal if some positions are no longer needed after a takeover. But not to this extent ... That's absurd.

Hookshot

Gold Member
The CEO was trying to pull a scam
and get Saudi money by massively inflating the balance sheet. Saudis figured it out and backed off.
You have to wonder what his end game was? He scams the Saudis, gets their money while they get a whole load of vaporware and some decent IP's and then what? Works with them while apologizing? Runs off into the sunset? Either way they are going to want the wasted cash back.

Pagusas

Elden Member
You have to wonder what his end game was? He scams the Saudis, gets their money while they get a whole load of vaporware and some decent IP's and then what? Works with them while apologizing? Runs off into the sunset? Either way they are going to want the wasted cash back.
Golden parachute and retirement would be my guess. That happen to my last CEO, he sold our company, stayed on for 3 weeks to see the hand over, then jumped out and retired to the Bahamas. 1 year later the company was in such shambles everyone got let go and the IP was sold for pennies on the dollar just to keep from causing more damage to the parent company that bought us. Luckily I left before things turned south.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Golden parachute and retirement would be my guess. That happen to my last CEO, he sold our company, stayed on for 3 weeks to see the hand over, then jumped out and retired to the Bahamas. 1 year later the company was in such shambles everyone got let go and the IP was sold for pennies on the dollar just to keep from causing more damage to the parent company that bought us. Luckily I left before things turned south.
Right I get that but the investment was supposedly for Billions of dollars. That's surely "Dies in a traffic accident" retaliation levels of money if someone has deliberately deceived you and you are likely substantially richer and connected to a guy known to have put a hit on someone (allegedly).

Somebody please buy Eidos and Deus Ex.

Embraced almost seems like it was a concentrated effort to buy developers only to intentionally shut them down. Fuck them.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Not sure where the scam stuff is coming from but it’s all just classic holding company behavior.

Buy stuff, do things to improve their overall value, then sell it (or most of it, holding on to some shares.)

MagusMajul

They were looking to make one big game. The next fortnight, the next minecraft, the next Palworld. Nothing they threw at the wall stuck so they flushed it all down the toilet instead.

Roni

Gold Member
In hindsight, it's clear the goal for both Embracer and Microsoft was to acquire IP and shed the upkeep costs of said IP as soon as possible. Microsoft can pad Game Pass with the IP it got and Embracer can sell it off slowly as public interest for any of its IP's grows as years go by.

OppaiNinja

Banned
"Embracer CEO Lars Wingefors issued a statement in 2022 insisting that the company’s Swedish values were “unwavering” after the group was criticized for accepting the Saudi group’s investment"

I hope that was worth it!
Oops! It only cost them a layoff of almost 5000 people and the closure of 36 studios.
Should've bowed to your Saudi overlords and played by their rules. I bet they wouldn't care as long as you don't double down on all the woke LGTBullshit. They pretty much own SNK and let them keep their Japanese identity.

Cyberpunkd

I’m talking about your claim that they tried to “scam” them. The fact deal feel through is public knowledge.
They have announced (even the article mentions that) the cuts immediately following the deal falling through. That in my opinion tells you the org was not sustainable without outside money aka a scam, or if you want “pretending you are someone you are not”.

This is why you need to keep THQ Nordic on your radar. They are making some great games and Pieces (AITD) was sadly closed. Appeal Software (Outcast) is probably sweating bullets, and then theres the Gothic remake, Titan Quest 2, etc. Don't sleep on these games, many will be the "hidden gem" that people rave about after the fact. Let's do our part to keep these quality AA studios alive.

Solarstrike

How did they fuck up so bad? Was everything riding on that middle east deal that fell through? This really seems almost like something illegal has happened.

Its the type of shit the federal government needs to look into, tbh. Not that they're perfect but damn, somebody.

Last edited:
Top Bottom