• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emma Stone playing an Asian-American in 'Aloha' is bizarre as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ke0

GAF's raging hate boner for Olivia Munn continues to amaze him. Why so much hatred??

Something about journalism integrity or some nonsense like that.

They're mad hot girl hosted a show on geek culture and didn't bang them.

It's always about that with Olivia, they'll tell you it's not, then write some dragged out nonsense that basically reads: "She's a hot chick who was a host on a TV show aimed at geeks, and she never offered to fuck me!"

Some kind of weird idea of culture appropriation, she got "rich" being a "nerd" and that just pisses some people off proper.

"BECAUSE SHES NOT A REAL GAMER GIRL".

Really sick of this shit being trotted out because of AOTS.

I don't think the various people that hosted CHEAT, a goddamn show about cheat codes in video games, were either

And don't even get me started about Lee Reherman on ARENA!!!!!!!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
3In8dh5.jpg

10 outta 10!
Hahahaha.

nasax

Crowe apologized on Variety, but said the character was based on a real person. Will link once I get on a computer.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...a-stone-aloha-asian-casting-apology/28400233/

Crowe took to his blog, TheUncool, Tuesday to offer a "heartfelt apology" for the casting choice. He also went on to explain why he cast Stone in the part in the first place:

"I have heard your words and your disappointment, and I offer you a heart-felt apology to all who felt this was an odd or misguided casting choice. As far back as 2007, Captain Allison Ng was written to be a super-proud ¼ Hawaiian who was frustrated that, by all outward appearances, she looked nothing like one. A half-Chinese father was meant to show the surprising mix of cultures often prevalent in Hawaii. Extremely proud of her unlikely heritage, she feels personally compelled to over-explain every chance she gets. The character was based on a real-life, red-headed local who did just that."

He went on to ask that people blame him if they were upset, not Stone:

"We were extremely proud to present the island, the locals and the film community with many jobs for over four months. Emma Stone was chief among those who did tireless research, and if any part of her fine characterization has caused consternation and controversy, I am the one to blame."

Crowe also said that he was "grateful" for the dialogue surrounding the moving. "So many of us are hungry for stories with more racial diversity, more truth in representation, and I am anxious to help tell those stories in the future," he said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...a-stone-aloha-asian-casting-apology/28400233/

Crowe took to his blog, TheUncool, Tuesday to offer a "heartfelt apology" for the casting choice. He also went on to explain why he cast Stone in the part in the first place:

"I have heard your words and your disappointment, and I offer you a heart-felt apology to all who felt this was an odd or misguided casting choice. As far back as 2007, Captain Allison Ng was written to be a super-proud ¼ Hawaiian who was frustrated that, by all outward appearances, she looked nothing like one. A half-Chinese father was meant to show the surprising mix of cultures often prevalent in Hawaii. Extremely proud of her unlikely heritage, she feels personally compelled to over-explain every chance she gets. The character was based on a real-life, red-headed local who did just that."

"We were extremely proud to present the island, the locals and the film community with many jobs for over four months. Emma Stone was chief among those who did tireless research, and if any part of her fine characterization has caused consternation and controversy, I am the one to blame."

Crowe also said that he was "grateful" for the dialogue surrounding the moving. "So many of us are hungry for stories with more racial diversity, more truth in representation, and I am anxious to help tell those stories in the future," he said.

Thanks for posting.

Zoe

Yeah, no. Identity crisis is a real thing for quarters, but even then they rarely look white as fuck like Emma Stone.

Keanu, Mark Paul Gosselaar - they are examples of quarters who "pass" for white.

Edit: And he's implying that Hawaiians are white.

Slayven

Can you smell the lipservice?

People are getting way too hung up on this.

My kids are both half Asian, and from their looks you could never tell. My wife has been mistaken as their nanny on more than one occasion.

Ratrat

People are getting way too hung up on this.

My kids are both half Asian, and from their looks you could never tell. My wife has been mistaken as their nanny on more than one occasion.
Maybe it has to do with Hawaii's history, Hollywoods track record and what the character is supposed to represent in the film.

suzu

Yes, we know white-looking mixed people exist.

Did you guys also know that there are a lot of mixed race people that don't look entirely white either? Maybe Hollywood should cast people like that instead of going for a completely white person for like, every single role? Just an idea. :p

Are they the adopted ones, they are the only white people in what seems to be a tribe of Eskimo?

They're the leads, so of course they are white. The actual people of the ethnicity that's supposed to be represented are set dressing in the background, to give it the feel of being exotic without actually having to risk anything. See also: Prince of Persia

prince-persia-photo21.jpg

Not

Banned
I am so fucking sick of the marginalization of Asians and multiracial Asians in Hollywood films. Still. Enough so that it's worth whitewashing an Asian character in a movie set in Hawaii. HAWAII. Go to Hawaii, motherfucker.

This shit needs to end, Hollywood. It's not 195-fucking-9. Hopefully in sixty years when most of humanity is part-Asian (or at least multiethnic) I'll finally live to see Caucasians like myself marginalized, after four-odd centuries of self-aggrandizing, virtually eugenical bullshit.

I will not see this film.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I am so fucking sick of the marginalization of Asians and multiracial Asians in Hollywood films. Still. Enough so that it's worth whitewashing an Asian character in a movie set in Hawaii. HAWAII. Go to Hawaii, motherfucker.

This shit needs to end, Hollywood. It's not 195-fucking-9. Hopefully in sixty years when most of humanity is part-Asian (or at least multiethnic) I'll finally live to see Caucasians like myself marginalized, after four-odd centuries of self-aggrandizing, virtually eugenical bullshit.

I will not see this film.

if that comment from the director is accurate, it seems a reasonable decision to me. The character is based on someone in real life, and being mixed race but not looking it is part of that characters makeup.

lawnchair

Banned
Some people really just want to give Hollywood the benefit of the doubt.

Hollywood knows that Emma Stone is more of a draw than any of the other possible (more appropriate) actresses named in this thread. They want to make money. Thats it.

for example, even though this movie looks ridiculous and i hate romantic comedies i might watch it anyway because emma stone is the hottest woman on the planet.

Ridley327

if that comment from the director is accurate, it seems a reasonable decision to me. The character is based on someone in real life, and being mixed race but not looking it is part of that characters makeup.
I think he would have been better served by casting someone with that ethnic background and a similar outward appearance, but I would think that there isn't an actress like that and has Emma Stone's bankability, which makes the apology ring slightly hollow for me.

Wait so people are losing their shit over a character that's 1/4th Hawaiian and 3/4th's white? Cheesus, she's not the perfect casting but this is hardly Rob Schneider with buck teeth.

I will say that they might as well have went with an unknown though, given how the film turned out anyway.

numble

The character was based on someone 1/4 Asian, but he made the character 1/2 Asian.

He then defends having all white lead actors for a majority-Asian setting that is by saying that, actually, they are there (in the background and behind the scenes):

However I am so proud that in the same movie, we employed many Asian-American, Native-Hawaiian and Pacific-Islanders, both before and behind the camera… including Dennis “Bumpy” Kanahele, and his village, and many other locals who worked closely in our crew and with our script to help ensure authenticity.

We were extremely proud to present the island, the locals and the film community with many jobs for over four months. Emma Stone was chief among those who did tireless research, and if any part of her fine characterization has caused consternation and controversy, I am the one to blame.

They're the leads, so of course they are white. The actual people of the ethnicity that's supposed to be represented are set dressing in the background, to give it the feel of being exotic without actually having to risk anything. See also: Prince of Persia

prince-persia-photo21.jpg
This phenomenon exists in the East as well. There are Turkish films about Arab Islamic saints, Quranic stories and Mongol-Turkic history that cast the leads as White phenotype Turk, rather than Middle Eastern phenotype and Central Asian phenotype Turks.

linsivvi

Yeah, no. Identity crisis is a real thing for quarters, but even then they rarely look white as fuck like Emma Stone.

Keanu, Mark Paul Gosselaar - they are examples of quarters who "pass" for white.

Edit: And he's implying that Hawaiians are white.

I think Keanu is 1/8.

FStubbs

Olivia Munn is an ok actress, but she's not a draw. They were clearly looking for an A-list actress for the role, so people recommending actresses well below that caliber are kind of ignoring the reality of the situation.

That's the backhanded point. You won't cast Asian American actresses, allowing them to become draws. Emma Stone didn't step into Hollywood as a draw.

Blader

There may very well be real people living in Hawaii of mixed heritage and look exactly like Emma Stone. But the issue isn't really, imo, that "Emma Stone looks totally ridiculous playing a mixed-heritage Asian-American," but rather that Crowe (and Hollywood in general) chose to tell a story about a mixed-heritage Asian-American where they could get away with casting a decidedly not Asian-American white actress to play the role.

It may be accurate to whoever the person Crowe knows and based the character on, but the conscious decision to go that route is what's troubling, not whether people like Stone's character actually exist in real life. And frankly, feels like a backpeddling excuse to rationalize the casting anyway -- like hiring Johnny Depp to play Tonto and then touting his 1/100000th Cherokee heritage to excuse it.

My co-worker is a 1/4 Korean and she is a redhead with the whitest freckly skin. I mean, she looks less Asian than me and I have no Asian heritage in my lineage. We're talking a normal looking redhead. I thought she was joking about her grandma being full Korean and mom half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom