• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emma Stone playing an Asian-American in 'Aloha' is bizarre as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
Honestly, I hope one of these days we can get a film where Idris Elba gets to play Benajmin Franklin. I feel like this would even out some of the Hollywood racial weirdness.

Cuburt

11350491_10153049590466725_3282058381744237355_n.jpg

These two posters made this all worth it for me.

DrSlek

Not only is this a much worse example of what we're talking about, there was way more of a huff about it by white people than there is about this.

But it reinforces my original point about my being totally fine with alternate race casting as long as the actor is suitable for the role, as Idris Elba was in Thor. Emma Stone is a fine actress. She was great in Birdman, and she may very well be an excellent choice for this role.

But it reinforces my original point about my being totally fine with alternate race casting as long as the actor is suitable for the role, as Idris Elba was in Thor. Emma Stone is a fine actress. She was great in Birdman, and she may very well be an excellent choice for this role.

The difference is that Heimdall's race/appearance is not really essential to either him as a character or Thor as a movie, the racial makeup of Emma Stone's character is important to both the character and the movie.

Slayven

The difference is that Heimdall's race/appearance is not really essential to either him as a character or Thor as a movie, the racial makeup of Emma Stone's character is important to both the character and the movie.

That and Heimdall is one step away from being an named extra

Jenov

I watched the trailer on this. It was all about Bradely Cooper and only somewhat Emma Stone, and didn't mention her heritage at all. Maybe this racial thing is just an over reaction... has anyone seen the movie?

Slayven

A doorman, essentially. Kind of fucked up when you actually think about the casting. A damn intergalactic doorman.

Shit when you think about the comic. When Heimdall went to earth they tried to attack Asgard with jets, dude was shooting hypersonic jets out the air 20 miles away with just a bow and arrow like it was just another Tuesday.

lenovox1

I watched the trailer on this. It was all about Bradely Cooper and only somewhat Emma Stone, and didn't mention her heritage at all. Maybe this racial thing is just an over reaction... has anyone seen the movie?

Every single review mentions it.

They hid her character's ethnic identity and its strong ties to the plot (and many other elements of this film) from the media and from audiences for obvious reasons. The obvious reasons being they want to bury this film and forget they ever distributed it.

Beyond the arguments that Heimdall's ethnicity is incidental (unlike this role), roles for Asian actors/actresses are not terribly common in American movies, so it's problematic that this role went to a white actress who would have no problem finding another role if she passed on this one.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I'm pretty shocked they kept the last name "Ng". Not everyone knows how to pronounce it.

But hey if Emma Stone really wants that last name all she's got to do is give me a call.

is your baby going to be a quarter Jamaican?

MUnited83

For you.
What's going on with the background in this gif? Was this like this on the actual movie?

People do terrible things to gifs because of tumblr having a tiny tiny ass limit. Including freezing part or the whole background while only the character moves.

That shit should be punishable with a prison sentence.

Zoe

And also Kristin "Lana Lang and Chun-Li" Kreuk. Sure, she's Canadian, but per wikipedia, "Her father is of Dutch descent; her mother is of Chinese descent, but was born in Indonesia; and her maternal grandmother was a Chinese Jamaican." So we have an actual wealth of women who could have been cast or at the very least called to try out for this role.

There are actually tons of young mixed actresses in commercials and bit parts (plus those who go straight to Asia rather than bother with the US at all). The ladies I listed just happened to be the well-known ones from Hawaii.

My two cents : look at my profile pic. That's me, and I'm half vietnamese.

I also have a friend like this...
....So?

We've had 9+ pages with plenty of people saying this isn't about the fact she doesn't look a "typical" half-white/half-Asian person.

It's about a larger problem of ethnic representation in mainstream media and how Hollywood doesn't give two fucks about hiring an actual mixed-ethnicity person for the role of a mixed-ethnic character, regardless of if that actual mixed-ethic person necessarily looked the part or not.

Most wouldn't be complaining as much if Emma Stone was actually part Hawaiin or Chinese IRL, but she's not. And yet she gets to play the part in lieu of a potentially just as good/better actress who actually meets that qualification.

This couldn't be more obvious if it were written on your face.

Btw I saw CHaPPIE recently and they had that latin dude as "America". That was a nice touch that I feel pissed off some people. :) (well it doesnt end well so who am I kidding) We need more of that AND asians!
His name is Jose Pablo Cantillo and he was in Walking Dead as Martinez. And Chappie wasn't very good.

Sorry, I just get really annoyed when people refer to minority actors/actresses by their ethnicity but have no problem listing the name of a white actor or actress. It only takes a minute to Google someone's name, super-easy.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Hollywood just being Hollywood

Also see Exiodus: God's and kings.

But Will Smith uses his influence to open up doors for his son? He gets tons of hate. And cries of nepotism ring out across the Internet.

Well. Jaden is objectively a shit actor. If he was the next Sydney Poitier, something tells me there would be very few cries.

For the record:

I'm one-quarter Hawaiian, 3/4ths various European. You wouldn't know from looking at me that I was part-Hawaiian, you'd think I was full-haole.

My mother is half-Hawaiian, half various European. She looks more white than I do.

I'm good friends with another mixed-ethnicity family, the mother is half-German/half-Hawaiian. She looks so Prussian it's astounding. The kids are quarter-Hawaiian 3/4 German (she married a full-blooded German), and are totally white.

So, yeah, I've got no real issues with Emma Stone in this role. Genetics are weird.

I think you're largely missing the point here. The point isn't about appearance, the point is about representation. If the character was played by a biracial actress who looked mostly white, fine.

The whole movie "Aloha" is problematic. It's set in the only state that is majority Asian American (60%), but stars four white faces. The fact one of them is supposed to be playing a half-Asian only adds insult to injury.

Hollywood has a long history of whitewashing Asian American roles. "21" is a great example that was brought up earlier. The whole MIT blackjack team was largely Asian American, but the movie only contained two Asian characters who served mainly as comic relief and largely contributed nothing to the team.

Where are the positive portrayals of Asian American stories, by Asian American actors, in Hollywood?

alternade

Having not seen the movie, was her being asian relevant to the story? Could she not have just been regular white and had the same plot? I mean, noone NOONE is going to to believe that doe eyed Emma Stone is even a decimal asian.

Zoe

Having not seen the movie, was her being asian relevant to the story? Could she not have just been regular white and had the same plot? I mean, noone NOONE is going to to believe that doe eyed Emma Stone is even a decimal asian.

Yep. Her culture is part of her character.

Why cast Hilary Swank in Boys Don't Cry? Because she is a gifted actress who can PRETEND TO BE SOMEONE SHE IS NOT.

For all of the controversy, I would be willing to bet that Emma Stone will be the most bearable part of the movie.

Why not go back to blackface? We have tons of gifted white actors who should be able to portray black characters in a nuanced manner. After all, they're just PRETENDING TO BE SOMEONE THEY ARE NOT.

Why not? Because black face harkens back to an era of offensive and racist stereotypes and is incredibly disrespectful to African Americans. So why is Emma Stone prancing around pretending to be half-Asian ok? Her ethnicity isn't a sideshow in this movie. Look at the review: "the movie hammers home her cultural other-ness in just about every other scene. Thanks to the character’s half-Hawaiian-half-Chinese father, Ng (“Rhymes with ‘ing’!”) is a Hula dancing expert with a functional knowledge of Hawaiian folk guitar who rhapsodizes about the islander spiritual energy mana when she isn’t attempting to save the archipelago from a creeping military-industrial complex."

Hollywood has a troubling history of yellowface. Fu Manchu, Charlie Chan, Mickey Rooney...even Pacific Rim and Cloud Atlas has yellowface. It's not like there's a shortage of great Asian American actors either. Hollywood just doesn't give a shit.

Enzom21

You would have a point if Heimdall's race was a significant part of the story like Allison Ng's is in this movie.
You would have a point if all things were equal, if there wasn't an overabundance of white roles, and if non-whites (particularly Asians) weren't woefully underrepresented.

So you being totally fine with it means dick.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
And also Kristin "Lana Lang and Chun-Li" Kreuk. Sure, she's Canadian, but per wikipedia, "Her father is of Dutch descent; her mother is of Chinese descent, but was born in Indonesia; and her maternal grandmother was a Chinese Jamaican." So we have an actual wealth of women who could have been cast or at the very least called to try out for this role.

Is she even working anymore? I've never really been impressed with anything she did and street fighter she played second fiddle to everything else going on in that crazy movie

ItIsOkBro

Why cast Hilary Swank in Boys Don't Cry? Because she is a gifted actress who can PRETEND TO BE SOMEONE SHE IS NOT.

For all of the controversy, I would be willing to bet that Emma Stone will be the most bearable part of the movie.

Watch that first 8 minutes clip, she's already completely unbearable.

Is she even working anymore? I've never really been impressed with anything she did and street fighter she played second fiddle to everything else going on in that crazy movie

I think Kristen could have done very well in comedies but the roles she picked/got... woooweee. Yeesh.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Olivia Munn is an ok actress, but she's not a draw. They were clearly looking for an A-list actress for the role, so people recommending actresses well below that caliber are kind of ignoring the reality of the situation.

Olivia Munn is an ok actress, but she's not a draw. They were clearly looking for an A-list actress for the role, so people recommending actresses well below that caliber are kind of ignoring the reality of the situation.

um what? she's like the stereotype no talent who banged their way to the top

Olivia Munn is arguably the best part of a great cast in Newsroom. But please, tell us more about how she's a fake gamer and a ho because she abandoned Attack of the Show.

lol assuming I watched that garbage, it's because she was associated with g4 that i know she's a fucking hack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom