• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emma Stone playing an Asian-American in 'Aloha' is bizarre as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
11350491_10153049590466725_3282058381744237355_n.jpg

0LoxDpN.png

neoanarch

Stone is not getting nearly enough criticism for choosing to do the role. She isn't some newbie actress looking for a breakout role. How the fuck do you go into this role and not feel shitty.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
y'all are trippin. Of course white people can play asian characters. Just look at the duke. The mustache clearly sells it.

18060-3808.jpg

Stone is not getting nearly enough criticism for choosing to do the role. She isn't some newbie actress looking for a breakout role. How the fuck do you go into this role and not feel shitty.

Because Cameron Crowe is a damn good director?

He did coming of age about as good as John Hughes could do it.

-MD-

Emma Stone should play every race in all of the movies.

Every female character should be Emma Stone.

Emma

Stone.

Or hanging out in Hawaii, surrounded by people of Asian descent and pretending to be one.

Krixeus

Why should she feel shitty for accepting a paying role?

Man, it's a movie. I know Jamaicans who are as Chinese as it gets as far as their roots are concerned, but don't look it at all.

UberTag

Because Cameron Crowe is a damn good director?

He did coming of age about as good as John Hughes could do it.
I'm not so sure about Cameron Crowe being a "damn good director" these days.
Dude's living off his legacy of Almost Famous and Jerry Maguire.

I think that Emma Stone is probably the only major white actress who could look vaguely Eurasian, but the casting is still bizarre. Why can't they just find a half-Asian woman? I'm sure there are plenty Eurasian actresses who could do the role well.

Tia Carrere - Filipino, Chinese, Spanish
Kelly Hu - Native Hawaiian, English, Chinese
Maggie Q - Irish, Polish, Vietnamese
Nicole Scherzinger - Filipino, Native Hawaiian, Russian

All from Hawaii, all mixed race. Is it so inconceivable to ask for another actress similar to them?

And also Kristin "Lana Lang and Chun-Li" Kreuk. Sure, she's Canadian, but per wikipedia, "Her father is of Dutch descent; her mother is of Chinese descent, but was born in Indonesia; and her maternal grandmother was a Chinese Jamaican." So we have an actual wealth of women who could have been cast or at the very least called to try out for this role.

It would be nice to see actual Asian-American actors and actresses given chances to shine. How are you supposed to get famous/become a box office draw without exposure?

Did the people getting upset in this thread get upset that Ben Affleck played a Mexican in Argo?
He was the only actor that looked absolutely nothing like the character they were portraying. He just had to cast himself because of his massive ego.

I personally did. As a Mexican, I always feel the only parts in any media for us are migrant worker, cook, maid, wrestler, or gang member. It's always the same few actors playing all of the parts as well. Finally there is a movie about a latino with a different job and Ben Affleck plays him.

Darknight

Seems like the cast was full on white and a smaller no name or asian person is there would of made the movie that "less" appealing.

Shit get some latinos some love Hollywood and make them asian too! (jk)

Btw I saw CHaPPIE recently and they had that latin dude as "America". That was a nice touch that I feel pissed off some people. :) (well it doesnt end well so who am I kidding) We need more of that AND asians!

Kelsdesu

It's not just the eyes. It's the combination of that and the mouth; the entire facial expression has been used as a racial caricature in the past.

hqdefault.jpg

Given what the thread's about, finding that picture from the movie to use for this thread on this topic is funny to me.

Jeeeezus... that is just....

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
A movie based in Hawaii where the cast is pretty much 100% white, with the only supposedly Asian character played by Emma Stone is some next-level whitewashing. Impressive, in a way.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I guess Sorkin was wrong when he said he wasn't going to waste time writing a script with an Asian lead for a movie Sony would never produce because there are no well known asian movie stars. He should have just casted a well known caucasian actor and call him asian instead.

Of course, there might not be any asian movie stars because no one ever writes/produces a movie with major asian roles, and even when they do, they put caucasian actors and actresses in their place...

shaza

Neo Member
Of course, there might not be any asian movie stars because no one ever writes/produces a movie with major asian roles, and even when they do, they put caucasian actors and actresses in their place...
This is what gets to me the most. When the only major East Asian-descent actor in Hollywood that most people think of on the top of their head is Lucy Liu, there's a fucking problem. It's staring at the movie industry right in their face and they ignore it. It's so infuriating and I roll my eyes every time whenever people bring up that "whitewashing isn't that bad" or whatever.

Emma Stone should know better. This movie doesn't seem impressive, either.

DrSlek

Idris Elba played a Norse God in Thor...and he was great, so I'm fine with this kind of thing across the board as long as the actor is good for the role.

M3z_

So someone that's 3/4 white looks white? Got it.

Why should she care? It's not her job to worry about that. She's just there to play the role and get paid. The people doing the casting/in charge of making the movie are the ones that should have said "wait a second..."

I agree that they are vastly more responsible, but not solely. I think it is your job to consider what work you take. I wouldn't want shaming her to be the outcome of this at all, her taking the job is not at all the greater issue. But I think it's totally fair to be disappointed in people's actions in cases like this. I already am completely jaded about the racism in Hollywood casting as it is so prevalent and indefensible, so I apologize when my focus falls on the smaller issue, but the smaller issue involves someone I would actually have hope in making good choices, the actual greater issue is one I have little to no hope for.

Primus

For the record:

I'm one-quarter Hawaiian, 3/4ths various European. You wouldn't know from looking at me that I was part-Hawaiian, you'd think I was full-haole.

My mother is half-Hawaiian, half various European. She looks more white than I do.

I'm good friends with another mixed-ethnicity family, the mother is half-German/half-Hawaiian. She looks so Prussian it's astounding. The kids are quarter-Hawaiian 3/4 German (she married a full-blooded German), and are totally white.

So, yeah, I've got no real issues with Emma Stone in this role. Genetics are weird.

Dude Abides

Banned
I always prefer my manic pixie dream girls with at least 50% fake Asian.

Cooper apparently goes with Stone over McAdams so realism was out the window from the beginning.

Katori

"Bizarre" doesn't begin to cover it.

It is the same thing. He's not black in the source material.

He's not human in the source material, but we can only cast humans and other animals in movies.

Also, there are enough white comic book characters. And this isn't an adaptation, AFAIK.

jasonng

I'm pretty shocked they kept the last name "Ng". Not everyone knows how to pronounce it.

But hey if Emma Stone really wants that last name all she's got to do is give me a call.

Condom

For the record:

I'm one-quarter Hawaiian, 3/4ths various European. You wouldn't know from looking at me that I was part-Hawaiian, you'd think I was full-haole.

My mother is half-Hawaiian, half various European. She looks more white than I do.

I'm good friends with another mixed-ethnicity family, the mother is half-German/half-Hawaiian. She looks so Prussian it's astounding. The kids are quarter-Hawaiian 3/4 German (she married a full-blooded German), and are totally white.

So, yeah, I've got no real issues with Emma Stone in this role. Genetics are weird.

Everybody knows that 'genetiics are weird' isn't the real reason they went with her. It's because she's a famous white actress. If you don't see the issue then you're just looking at the surface of things. 'Oh part swedish, that's why she is white!', that's exactly what the writers had in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom