• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

When the fuck is A Great Big Pile of Leaves going to drop another album? You're Always On My Mind is soooooo gooooood.

Listened to those Tiny Moving Parts songs they're pretty tight, definitely back on my radar now.

Great, thank you! I'll check 'em all out.

No problem!

When it comes to TWIABP's discog it has become quite diverse. Their super early stuff sounds nothing like where they are today. So I would listen to a few things from different albums/EPs/splits and see what you like

multijohnny do you have a discogs page

Yep! But it is missing like 3/4ths of my collection!

I am too lazy to upload everything I have lol I started doing it one day and stopped at around 45 records.

My wantlist is also a travesty at this point lol I don't even go by that anymore for the most part

Kawl_USC

Fucking missed pine grove since they played 30 minutes after doors instead of an hour. But sidekicks are pretty cool.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Is anyone going to the Piebald reunion shows? I'm torn because I really don't care for anything after their first couple of records. Apparently they'll be playing "the hits" but I feel like most of their fanbase probably likes the later stuff.

The Boston show sold out in minutes but they added another, thankfully.

blackjaw

Is anyone going to the Piebald reunion shows? I'm torn because I really don't care for anything after their first couple of records. Apparently they'll be playing "the hits" but I feel like most of their fanbase probably likes the later stuff.

The Boston show sold out in minutes but they added another, thankfully.

Nope because I figured the same thing...haha

kiguel182

a4143899076_16.jpg

So, today I discovered JANK. It's some weird emo that goes from hardcore to more melodic stuff in the space of the same song with weird dynamics and rhythms in play. I only listened to the record once but I feel it's a grower for sure.

They were just signed by Creep Record and you can get their latest (first?) record here.

So, today I discovered JANK. It's some weird emo that goes from hardcore to more melodic stuff in the space of the same song with weird dynamics and rhythms in play. I only listened to the record once but I feel it's a grower for sure.

They were just signed by Creep Record and you can get their latest (first?) record here.

Damn it took you way too long to discover JANK lol

Just noticed this was a 2015 release, dammit it totally slipped past me.

Clearly, you should've posted something on this thread to warn me!

Hopefully you didn't post and I didn't see it

I don't think I have ever talked about JANK in here lol I should have but I haven't.

Quite like that album. Thanks for pointing it out!

kiguel182

He is keeping all the best bands to himself and judging us when we find them. Get him!

We love you Jhonny, you know we do.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Probably not emo, but I wanted to share Julien Baker's music with y'all because I think some of you will be into it, and because I like the people in this thread a bunch!

Julien Baker - Something

She has an album coming out very soon (you can find the entire thing on youtube) and it's absolutely incredible. Really beautifully heartwrenching songs with some excellent melodies and riffs.

Kawl_USC

Probably not emo, but I wanted to Julien Baker's music with y'all because I think some of you will be into it, and because I like the people in this thread a bunch!

Julien Baker - Something

She has an album coming out very soon (you can find the entire thing on youtube) and it's absolutely incredible. Really beautifully heartwrenching songs with some excellent melodies and riffs.

sprained ankle I liked a lot. Appropriately sad for this thread.

kiguel182

Probably not emo, but I wanted to share Julien Baker's music with y'all because I think some of you will be into it, and because I like the people in this thread a bunch!

Julien Baker - Something

Sprained Ankle has been out since last year. Is on all of the streaming websites. Still, I would love to own that vinyl.

No current emo music hits me as hard as the first two Adventures 7-inches. Looking for something more aggressive or cathartic I guess. That JANK album sated some of that thirst for post-hardcorey riffs but still a bit too bright. Any suggestions?

I prefer stuff that is harder without going into full-on skramz. I like listening to some bands but it doesn't hold my attention as much. Not hooky enough I guess.

So the first rec that comes to mind isn't emo but is a british PHC band named Crooks. Fucking incredible. More melodic hardcore with no screaming. Their debut was my AOTY last year. Seriously my favorite up and coming band by far. If you don't like em that's fair lol but try it out see if you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq1xDByyq2g

For more emo have you heard Algernon Cadawallader?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhPd4Xwbjrk&nohtml5=False

or Snowing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcbvamRJZvw&nohtml5=False

or maybe Tiny Moving Parts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jPvFO3JUQw

Also gonna throw in 2 skramz bands just for good measure. Check out Suis La Lune and Malisa Bahat

Oh motherfucker!! Check out Weatherbox too

Also just curious but what is everyone's favorite non emo or emo related band (so like hardcore, melodic hardcore, post-hardcore, screamo etc.)

Mine is an odd one I guess. It depends on how you feel about him but I fucking love Angels and Airwaves. Just the whole space rock vibe is awesome. I am not a huge Blink fan but I love their eponymous album but all the more pop-punky stuff before that I wasn't a huge fan of after like high school.

But I should say that Sigur Ros beats any band to ever exist imo. Perfection. Post-rock is also incredible

This is a no judging zone.

Also Carly Rae Jepsen is a goddess

That's a ton of rec's, thanks! I'll listen to those at work tomorrow. I'm sure I'll poke you for more later. I've sampled Snowing and Algernon before, I'll give them another try.

Also just curious but what is everyone's favorite non emo or emo related band (so like hardcore, melodic hardcore, post-hardcore, screamo etc.)

Mine is an odd one I guess. It depends on how you feel about him but I fucking love Angels and Airwaves. Just the whole space rock vibe is awesome. I am not a huge Blink fan but I love their eponymous album but all the more pop-punky stuff before that I wasn't a huge fan of after like high school.

But I should say that Sigur Ros beats any band to ever exist imo. Perfection. Post-rock is also incredible

Feeder

Just straight up, Feeder

They were the first band I ever really got into and I never fell out of love with them.

Just A Day is legit my favourite song ever

Kawl_USC

Emotion may be one of the most solid albums front to back I've listened to in a long time.

Kawl_USC

But in a more serious response:

Was really into Dream Theater when I was younger thanks to my brother and I still think Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes from a Memory is a fantastic concept album, and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is great as well.

Before I got into this scene, 2 or so years ago, Death Cab (mostly Transatlanticism) and the Avett Brothers (thanks to a girlfriend and then the subsequent break up) were my main jam.

Why?'s earlier stuff is really solid and Sun Kil Moon puts out some songs that are beautiful.

Born Ruffians and Tokyo Police Club are two Canadian non-emo bands I really like. Seriously check out Born Ruffians they're incredible. I've been listening to a lot of badbadnotgood recently as well, really great electronic/jazz group from Toronto.

Also been listening to a lot of Wild Nothing and Smith Westerns.

But in a more serious response:

Was really into Dream Theater when I was younger thanks to my brother and I still think Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes from a Memory is a fantastic concept album, and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is great as well.

Before I got into this scene, 2 or so years ago, Death Cab (mostly Transatlanticism) and the Avett Brothers (thanks to a girlfriend and then the subsequent break up) were my main jam.

Why?'s earlier stuff is really solid and Sun Kil Moon puts out some songs that are beautiful.

Nice! I am not a fan of Dream Theater but I appreciate them since I really dig prog metal (Periphery, Veil of Maya and more just prog rock but Coheed is incredible)

Death Cab is tight and I have never heard of the Avett Bros

Born Ruffians and Tokyo Police Club are two Canadian non-emo bands I really like. Seriously check out Born Ruffians they're incredible. I've been listening to a lot of badbadnotgood recently as well, really great electronic/jazz group from Toronto.

Also been listening to a lot of Wild Nothing and Smith Westerns.

TPC is awesome. Never heard of Born Ruffians. Love Wild Nothing and will need to check out Smith Westerns lol killer band name

olympia

only kinda related but I suspect some people saw the video of the girl getting kicked at the TSSF show

JANK is awesome

kiguel182

Stuff that I've been listening to that isn't emo: The 1975 (their new record is excellent) and Kanye West.

When it comes to favourite non-emo bands The Wonder Years is my go to choice.

Also, TSSF guys look like assholes. At least they show their true colors so I know what bands not to support.

olympia

Stuff that I've been listening to that isn't emo: The 1975 (their new record is excellent) and Kanye West.

When it comes to favourite non-emo bands The Wonder Years is my go to choice.

Also, TSSF guys look like assholes. At least they show their true colors so I know what bands not to support.

new Kanye or old kanye?

I listened to this band today called so long forgotten. They released their final album and my hot take is that they sound like mid-phase brand new

The hard times article about the tssf debacle is amusing

kiguel182

new Kanye or old kanye?

I listened to this band today called so long forgotten. They released their final album and my hot take is that they sound like mid-phase brand new

I've been listening to The Life Of Pablo. I really enjoy it despite some of the lyrics. The new Kendrick Lamar record is also pretty cool.

new Kanye or old kanye?

The hard times article about the tssf debacle is amusing

Holy shit the update

Update: Numerous sources are now reporting that Ben Weasel has promoted Cannon to a black belt in hand-to-hand female fan combat.

kris.

Banned
i used tssf to get over some stuff like 4 years ago and havent listened to them since. one of the better shows ive been to tbh, so much fun. but yea this doesn't surprise me. parker's always seemed like a piece of shit. also everyone that writes for the hard times deserve some kind of recognition, that site has become amazing.

Top Bottom