• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

The Hotelier Tomorrow in Belgium. Siked! Any fellow Belgians going by chance?

Nice, seeing them next month. Enjoy! Venue only holds 120. should be fun.

Looking to buy tickets to Modern Baseball in Cincinnati.. two question:
1) Any risk to it selling out, or should I go ahead and pounce now? Waiting till I get paid again next Friday, but don't want to miss out.
2) Any valid alternatives to Livenation? $9 service fees per ticket is ridiculous.

kiguel182

Finally listened to the new Pity Sex record and it's really good. It's close to Tigers Jaw but with softer guitars kinda. I'm really liking it.

(Don't let the emo thread die people! May is going to be incredible music wise).

EDIT: Also, someone is messing up Sorority Noise on Apple Music EU. Forgettable was taken off like a couple of months ago and now it's back as a 2016 release. I won't stand for this buffoonery!

Finally listened to the new Pity Sex record and it's really good. It's close to Tigers Jaw but with softer guitars kinda. I'm really liking it.

(Don't let the emo thread die people! May is going to be incredible music wise).

EDIT: Also, someone is messing up Sorority Noise on Apple Music EU. Forgettable was taken off like a couple of months ago and now it's back as a 2016 release. I won't stand for this buffoonery!

Oh this thread will pick back up. I have been super busy with school finishing and shit, also with Goodness and Celebrate coming out this month plus a bunch of shows coming, there is gonna be a lot to talk about.

kris.

Banned

oh wtf it's finally back now? been missing from the US Apple Music for a while now. i can finally jam still shrill in my car again omg

kiguel182

Oh this thread will pick back up. I have been super busy with school finishing and shit, also with Goodness and Celebrate coming out this month plus a bunch of shows coming, there is gonna be a lot to talk about.

I'm counting on you! And college as been killing me too, ugh.

This month is Modern Baseball too!

Hotelier will save this thread like they always do.

kiguel182

oh wtf it's finally back now? been missing from the US Apple Music for a while now. i can finally jam still shrill in my car again omg

It was global? When something disappears I assume it's always EU only.

It's back but you'll have to add it again since it's a 2016 release now. Someone messed up it's my guess.

Looking at your avatar, is "We Cool?" in the US Apple Music? It's not here even if it's on Spotify and some local music streaming service. So weird.

kiguel182

oddly enough, they've only got "i look like shit" and a few singles. how weird.

So it's also an Apple Music thing. I don't know if that's makes it better or worse.

Weirdly enough the artist image is "We Cool?". Makes no sense.

If even a portuguese only streaming service has the record you would imagine they would put it on Apple Music...

Shiloa

The Hotelier Tomorrow in Belgium. Siked! Any fellow Belgians going by chance?
I was going to go but have to go to a stag do in London this weekend so I couldn't go. So instead I saw them on Wednesday night in cologne! Enjoy!

BTW this thread has rejuvenated my emo music love. I still swear by brand new but I'm enjoying a lot of the recommendations in the thread. I only started listening to the hotelier a few weeks ago!

kris.

Banned
So it's also an Apple Music thing. I don't know if that's makes it better or worse.

Weirdly enough the artist image is "We Cool?". Makes no sense.

If even a portuguese only streaming service has the record you would imagine they would put it on Apple Music...

yeah, i don't get it.:/ best album ever tho amirite!

kiguel182

I don't mean to push it but have you listened to Home reading the lyrics?

I didn't like them until I sat down and did that. It just clicked with me.

Nothing wrong with not liking them obviously. Maybe I'll key your car one day but that's it.

kris.

Banned
It is!

I'm thinking of buying it on vinyl once I have the money!

"I look like shit" it's pretty amazing too and I need to get into Bomb! The Industry.

oh god you totally should. i picked up a copy at a show last year and the pressing i got is gorgeous tho tbf everything jeff's gotten pressed himself has looked just fantastic. like my copy adults!!!! is pressed on clear vinyl with red, blue, and green splatter. i got a picture somewhere. it's beautiful.

kiguel182

I'd have to like a band first because I give that sort of attention.

Well, they meant nothing for me before and now are one of my favourite bands so it was worth it.

Some records are just growers or have to click with me so I listen to stuff a lot in different ways to give it a chance.

oh god you totally should. i picked up a copy at a show last year and the pressing i got is gorgeous tho tbf everything jeff's gotten pressed himself has looked just fantastic. like my copy adults!!!! is pressed on clear vinyl with red, blue, and green splatter. i got a picture somewhere. it's beautiful.

Nice! That really pushes me to buy it. I'll probably do it when I purchase The Hotelier and save on shipping.

Also, does it come with a download code? Since it isn't on Apple Music that would be great even if I can just listen to it or buy it on Bandcamp eventually.

Lender

Awesome show tonight! The new songs sound rad.

One downer: bought a shirt, forgot to bring it home. Goddamnit. Anyone know where I can buy their shirts?

kiguel182

Awesome show tonight! The new songs sound rad.

One downer: bought a shirt, forgot to bring it home. Goddamnit. Anyone know where I can buy their shirts?

Hotelier? Their merch store is down because they are on tour funny enough.

Also, their merch store is performance art and I love it.

Lender

Thx!

Any fellow neogaffer heading to one of the EU concerts of The Hotelier? If so, would it be too much to ask if someone buys me the same shirt that I lost yesterday and send it via mail? I'll happily pay via paypal, and even add a bit for the effort! I've called the venue but no one brought my shirt in. :(

I know this might sound bad, but I wasn't really into The Hotelier's set in Stockholm last week. So far the new songs haven't won me over so much so I will need to listen to the bandcamp a few times before I think about buying the vinyl. My friend wasn't in to their Paris show last year either. Not sure why. I Love Your Lifestyle was awesome though!

Also, I bought tickets to see American Football in Halifax, Nova Scotia in July. I am so excited for that.

Fhtagn

Old person question here: Do people recognize Native Nod, Rites of Spring and Saetia as emo these days? Is there a different word used to mean what emo meant in '86-'93 than the stuff listed in the first post?

Also does this get asked in the thread a lot? I suppose I should search.

Old person question here: Do people recognize Native Nod, Rites of Spring and Saetia as emo these days? Is there a different word used to mean what emo meant in '86-'93 than the stuff listed in the first post?

Also does this get asked in the thread a lot? I suppose I should search.
Native Nod and Rites of Spring are maybe post-hardcore these days or maybe "Revolution Summer" hardcore / emo. I call Rites of Spring emo, but I use the term more broadly than Fourfa's definition and terms, which are probably outdated these days anyway.

However, Saetia is definitely screamo or maybe "skramz" to differentiate between the mid 2000's wave of post-hardcore bands. Also, Saetia is getting a collected vinyl repress on Deathwish very soon, which I am looking forward to.

I've been thinking that there hasn't been enough screamo talk in the topic and Miss the Stars Fest is happening in Berlin this weekend. I wish I was going. Seriously everyone should check out all the bands playing at that festival especially the Swedish ones.

Also I ordered this record this week. I'm so stoked to finally have a copy of City of Caterpillar on vinyl. One of my all-time favorite screamo albums.

Fhtagn

I've heard the skramz term before but figured it was a joke, haha.

I'm friends with a couple of the Saetia guys. Wasn't into their music at the time but good folks for sure.

I like the gravity records, screen print covers for 7"s era of "emo" or post-hardcore. Mohinder is my shit.

olympia

Native Nod and Rites of Spring are maybe post-hardcore these days or maybe "Revolution Summer" hardcore / emo. I call Rites of Spring emo, but I use the term more broadly than Fourfa's definition and terms, which are probably outdated these days anyway.

However, Saetia is definitely screamo or maybe "skramz" to differentiate between the mid 2000's wave of post-hardcore bands. Also, Saetia is getting a collected vinyl repress on Deathwish very soon, which I am looking forward to.

released by secret voice, actually. deathwish is the distro. it was originally supposed to drop in march. i'm guessing that it ran into the usual supply problems that plague records right now

i agree there's not enough screamo talk in here

Fhtagn those bands definitely fall into the emo-sphere i'd say.

Well, they meant nothing for me before and now are one of my favourite bands so it was worth it.

Been listening to Soft Animal a bunch the past few days...I'm a Hotelier believer now. Actually saw them live opening for The Get Up Kids last year. I'll definitely be giving Goodness a listen or two.

Kawl_USC

Digging Holy Ghost after the first listen. I think I like the first half more than the thrashy back half, but I'm sure that could change given more listens.

May is tight.

imBask

Banned
complaints about Holy Ghost so far :

-not enough Brendan vocals
-Everyday is really bad

otherwise it's a solid album again!

kris.

Banned
Also, does it come with a download code? Since it isn't on Apple Music that would be great even if I can just listen to it or buy it on Bandcamp eventually.

sure does! actually i can just give you mine if i still have it. i think it's lying around somewhere in my room. if i can't find it, yea vinyl copies do come with a download code.

complaints about Holy Ghost so far :

-not enough Brendan vocals
-Everyday is really bad

otherwise it's a solid album again!

I really liked Everyday when it was released as a single. Just started the stream. Sad to hear not enough Brendan vocals.

Top Bottom