• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

I had no idea GAF had an emo topic. Awesome.

Going to see the Hotelier in Nashville this July. Really looking forward to that, never saw them live before.

kiguel182

Good Man is one of my favourite Brand New songs, no doubt about it.

It's something else. The lyrics hit too close home. Young love is harsh.

"Well I wrote your name and burned it to see the colour of the flames and it burned out the whole spectrum as if you were everything... Mine just burned gold, normal flame"

the best

I haven't listened to Tiny Moving Parts yet. Can't wait for the official release.

Then, Hotelier next week!

You need to listen to new TMP already lol and yes I know! I think we are getting the full album stream or maybe another song tonight from The Hotelier. Yesterday on twitter they said to stay up tonight for something.

New PUP record is streaming here.

PUP is awesome.

PUP is awesome. I am really diggin their new shit

kiguel182

You need to listen to new TMP already lol and yes I know! I think we are getting the full album stream or maybe another song tonight from The Hotelier. Yesterday on twitter they said to stay up tonight for something.

PUP is awesome. I am really diggin their new shit

First thing tomorrow is listening to TMP! (assuming the record is up on Apple Music when I wake up that is).

I really like PUP's debut but I think this new record is a step above that. It's really good.

First thing tomorrow is listening to TMP! (assuming the record is up on Apple Music when I wake up that is).

I really like PUP's debut but I think this new record is a step above that. It's really good.

Nice do it! but I agree about PUP

Also just realized that La Dispute and The Hotelier are playing the same night and I already have tix to both.

Trying to figure out how I am gonna do this since The Hotelier is headlining and La Dispute is supporting Thrice so maybe I get to see La Dispute then run over to the other venue and see The Hotelier.

Kawl_USC

Also just realized that La Dispute and The Hotelier are playing the same night and I already have tix to both.

Trying to figure out how I am gonna do this since The Hotelier is headlining and La Dispute is supporting Thrice so maybe I get to see La Dispute then run over to the other venue and see The Hotelier.

Playing a dangerous game there my friend.

kiguel182

I also like my concerts with some light cardio in between.

I had no idea about these demos and just listened to them through Spotify. Holy shit, they're so good, in particular '1996' and 'Battalions.' Like 'Battalions' is really really fucking good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpP6NABzDg8

Yeah dude, lots of great shit on there. I was so stoked when they finally officially released them last year, grabbed the cassette immediately.

I have the PUP record pre-ordered and I feel like the three singles are all I need to hear before I get my hands on the record so I'll abstain from streaming it, glad people like it though.

olympia

hotelier is one of those bands that i think is good but they just haven't clicked with me on a personal level yet. i'll try it out

IT'S FUCKING HERE

http://www.stereogum.com/featured/anarchy-in-worcester-mass/

Goodness full album stream!

So fucking good.

Is there going to be an alternative album cover release for this? I wanted to get it for my birthday but there is no way I am going to unwrap that in front of my whole family (extended included) lol. Otherwise, I will just buy digital in that case.

Strongly considering seeing them live this summer. I think tickets are like $14 in Cambridge which is nuts.

Crayons

Banned
hey crayons, why are there a bunch of fat old naked white people on this album cover

mom, you don't get it. this is who i am

Is there going to be an alternative album cover release for this? I wanted to get it for my birthday but there is no way I am going to unwrap that in front of my whole family (extended included) lol. Otherwise, I will just buy digital in that case.

Strongly considering seeing them live this summer. I think tickets are like $14 in Cambridge which is nuts.

only digitally is it edited.

BUt go see them dude. The Hotelier are one of the best live bands in the scene

hey crayons, why are there a bunch of fat old naked white people on this album cover

mom, you don't get it. this is who i am

I am framing mine

olympia

check out you me and everyone we know. not really a copycat but a similar kind of poppy ode to personal dysfunction. hella 'tude. there isn't really anyone out there quite like say anything imo

sorry if it's a bad recommendation lol but they just kind of appeal to a similar sensibility

Lemonheap

Banned
check out you me and everyone we know. not really a copycat but a similar kind of poppy ode to personal dysfunction. hella 'tude. there isn't really anyone out there quite like say anything imo

sorry if it's a bad recommendation lol but they just kind of appeal to a similar sensibility

Thanks, pupper.

Hopefully once they give it up (their latest album could be their last) something steps out to take up the mantle for real. They've kind of lost that edge growing older and I need something that can capture that special spunk again.

Lemonheap

Banned
No way dude, they're fucking awesome. Gladly taking any other tips you might have. I really don't have that many emo bands on my radar.

Really diggin' them. Also har har those guest vocals on I Can Get Back Up Now...

Edit: Tiny moving parts is very good.

kiguel182

This was so unfair to Europe, I was asleep!! I need to get on listening to that after classes today.

Tiny Moving Parts is on Apple Music so I can't wait to listen to it on my way to college today.

kiguel182

So, here are some recent impressions:

Tiny Moving Parts: Only listened to it once but it's fantastic. I can see myself returning to this often. It building on their last record successfully with some of the best music they have written.

The Hotelier: This one I need to listen to it more (like I do with every Hotelier release). It seemed more experimental than Home but without losing the grand chorus and melodies of that record. I will have to sit with the lyrics eventually and immerse myself into it. Not being an immediate "I love it" doesn't mean anything because that's not how Hotelier works for me.

Kawl_USC

Yep after listening to the streams for both Holy Ghost and tmp like 10 times I think I'm gonna wait for the spotify release for goodness. Listened to like half of the stream. Seems like it will be a grower.

Tmp is more than enough for the next week.

kris.

Banned
haven't been able to check out the new hotelier yet but my bud informs me that it is very "weakerthansian" so im pumped.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
New PUP record is streaming here.

PUP is awesome.

Had this vinyl on pre order since it was available. Gave the stream a full listen through yesterday, loving it but now I'm gonna wait until I get the physical thing/it's on proper music services.

I came in here to see if Modern Baseball fit actually, cool to see they're getting talked about in here. Not sure I think Holy Ghost is as god as You're Gonna Miss It All but I'm still really liking it. Starts so strong too.

kiguel182

Had this vinyl on pre order since it was available. Gave the stream a full listen through yesterday, loving it but now I'm gonna wait until I get the physical thing/it's on proper music services.

I came in here to see if Modern Baseball fit actually, cool to see they're getting talked about in here. Not sure I think Holy Ghost is as god as You're Gonna Miss It All but I'm still really liking it. Starts so strong too.

It might be the new album high talking but I think I like Holy Ghosts better. It lacks maybe one or two huge songs but overall it's a more consistent record.

imBask

Banned
Holy Ghost is good but it's nowhere near You're Gonna Miss It All... I think I even like Sports more than Holy Ghost! It's good but it's missing something

This new Tiny Moving Parts album though, wow. They really turned me off with Pleasant Living but the new one is incredible

kiguel182

Holy Ghost is good but it's nowhere near You're Gonna Miss It All... I think I even like Sports more than Holy Ghost! It's good but it's missing something

This new Tiny Moving Parts album though, wow. They really turned me off with Pleasant Living but the new one is incredible

What? No... Sports is a very inconsistent record. I love it but it Holy Ghosts is on another level.

I love Pleasant Living but I can agree that this is a better record, it's fantastic.

imBask

Banned
What? No... Sports is a very inconsistent record. I love it but it Holy Ghosts is on another level.

I love Pleasant Living but I can agree that this is a better record, it's fantastic.

yeaaah but Sports had those bangers that Holy Ghost doesn't have... Re-do and Re-done, the weekend, tears over beers

Holy Ghost as like 2 songs that stands out to me, and they're both Brendan songs
+ everyday exists so that's that

I don't want to be too hard though, it's really good overall and they're still one of my favorite band

kiguel182

yeaaah but Sports had those bangers that Holy Ghost doesn't have... Re-do and Re-done, the weekend, tears over beers

Holy Ghost as like 2 songs that stands out to me, and they're both Brendan songs
+ everyday exists so that's that

I don't want to be too hard though, it's really good overall and they're still one of my favorite band

I can agree with the lack of bangers but even thought there isn't one of those songs I think they are consistently better than before.

Also, every time you diss everyday I like you a little less (if that's even possible!).

I edited the track order on Holy Ghost so that it feels more cohesive as a whole and more even to listen to front to back, and I like the album even better this way. Its basically every other song from Jake's and Brendan's sides, aside from the first two tracks remaining the same and Hiding as the album closer after Just Another Face. Wedding Singer straight into Coding These to Lukens is very satisfying. Try it out.

Top Bottom