• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

I never got into Thrice. What's their best record to start with?

Depends what you're into as they've had a massive shift in sound over the years. If you're into shreddy punk mixed with metalcore, start with "The Artist in the Ambulance", but if you're into slower, more raw and intricate stuff, their newest album "Major/Minor" is a great starting point.

Their album Vheissu is a good mix of both styles but I definitely wouldn't recommend starting there.

imBask

Banned
I can agree with the lack of bangers but even thought there isn't one of those songs I think they are consistently better than before.

Also, every time you diss everyday I like you a little less (if that's even possible!).

you're breaking my heart, i'm going to go listen to La Dispute in the bathroom stall at work and cry a lot

Crayons

Banned
I'm poor because of vinyl.....

lol

All the emo vinyl I have is Whenever, if Ever, and Joy Departed

I treasure them though.

I'm in a really tough spot right now. I'm going to see Posture & The Grizzly tonight but I have too many clothes, sneakers, socks etc I don't know what to wear...

lol

All the emo vinyl I have is Whenever, if Ever, and Joy Departed

I treasure them though.

I'm in a really tough spot right now. I'm going to see Posture & The Grizzly tonight but I have too many clothes, sneakers, socks etc I don't know what to wear...

Damn nice! I hope Posture does a full tour. I Am Satan is fucking incredible

kiguel182

you're breaking my heart, i'm going to go listen to La Dispute in the bathroom stall at work and cry a lot

I would've liked it more if you had chosen Brand New but it's still a pretty emo move so you have earned my respect back.

Now back on pilling up on MJ for that one time he was mean to me because he already knew JANK!

I would've liked it more if you had chosen Brand New but it's still a pretty emo move so you have earned my respect back.

Now back on pilling up on MJ for that one time he was mean to me because he already knew JANK!

I was mean to you about JANK? lol

Apparently their new album is pretty dope. They are doing some like weird preview for people selected on twitter

kiguel182

I was mean to you about JANK? lol

Apparently their new album is pretty dope. They are doing some like weird preview for people selected on twitter

You don't remember that
fake
drama? That's somewhat more insulting!

Isn't their new album their album from last year but with a label now? Is there an actual new record?

You don't remember that
fake
drama? That's somewhat more insulting!

Isn't their new album their album from last year but with a label now? Is there an actual new record?

Apparently it is new stuff

Yeah, fucking hyped. It's actually the 2nd time I saw them. I found out yesterday that saw them in 2014 and forgot about it

Nice! I wonder if Derrick and Josh from TWIABP will be playing with them

Auctopus

Listened to Holy Ghost on the way home today and really wasn't impressed.

- Bad, inconsistent production.
- Songs all over the place in terms of tone, sounds like a mixtape.
- The end starts to get heavy but in a sort of early 00s Nu-Metal trend way.

I liked Mass. and Hiding but I don't think this was really for me. To be fair my points against it are subjective.

Haven't heard Goodness yet but very excited.

ohkay

Depends what you're into as they've had a massive shift in sound over the years. If you're into shreddy punk mixed with metalcore, start with "The Artist in the Ambulance", but if you're into slower, more raw and intricate stuff, their newest album "Major/Minor" is a great starting point.

Their album Vheissu is a good mix of both styles but I definitely wouldn't recommend starting there.
I personally think Vheissu is what I would recommend to first time listeners because it is a mix of their styles

elguero

New Car Seat Headrest is out today, also extremely good. We're on a pretty solid run here-- PUP, Jank, CSH, Hotelier, Modern Baseball 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Not emo, hardcore (like old school, not Defeater-esque), but there might be some crossover: PEARS are fucking amazing

Also I should take some photos of my record collection at some point

Fest tickets are going on sale around 4:20 PM EST today, for those interested.

I need to remember this, that's 9:20 here I think. 2 and a half hours yeah?

New Car Seat Headrest is out today, also extremely good. We're on a pretty solid run here-- PUP, Jank, CSH, Hotelier, Modern Baseball ����������

And Tiny Moving Parts and Posture & The Grizzly and the new Brand New track.

Also do we message mods to move to community? Cuz I think we have been active long enough to get out of OT

Going to Say Anything, mewithoutYou, Teen Suicide, and Museum Mouth tonight. I'm only really familiar with the latter two.

mewithoutyou is incredible. Kinda odd but amazing. Post-hardcore spoken word with intense lyrics that call upon christian imagery. Two microphones are used cuz one uses effects for his voice. It's fucking cool

Sobriquet

mewithoutyou is incredible. Kinda odd but amazing. Post-hardcore spoken word with intense lyrics that call upon christian imagery. Two microphones are used cuz one uses effects for his voice. It's fucking cool

I'd like to check some out today before the show. Which album would you recommend?

kiguel182

Also do we message mods to move to community? Cuz I think we have been active long enough to get out of OT

I think we should move to the OT altought I'm afraid that will reduce new number of people discovering the thread. But I don't know how the GAF rules around that stuff are.

I hope everyone here is subscribed!

I think we should move to the OT altought I'm afraid that will reduce new number of people discovering the thread. But I don't know how the GAF rules around that stuff are.

I hope everyone here is subscribed!

Yeah I meant OT general. We can move to OT community lol

I mean I don't care. I was just wondering

kiguel182

Yeah I meant OT general. We can move to OT community lol

I mean I don't care. I was just wondering

Yes, I meant what you meant. words are hard.

I don't really know how that stuff works. I'm just here to bash on people for liking different stuff that I do.

But we should see about that eventually. I just want EmoGaf to thrive. I like it here.

Not emo, hardcore (like old school, not Defeater-esque), but there might be some crossover: PEARS are fucking amazing

Also I should take some photos of my record collection at some point

I need to remember this, that's 9:20 here I think. 2 and a half hours yeah?

Yep, 2 and half hours-ish. The site is down right now but you buy them here: http://thefestfl.limitedrun.com/tickets/

Speaking of crossover, is there a general punk/hardcore GAF? Generally, my emo love is very "golden age" and doesn't quite include Thrice or Brand New and that era. Despite having seen both at those early 2000s Warped Tours and shows.

Streaming the new Hotelier right now. Of the three most recent releases (them, Modern Baseball and TMP) this is the best, I think. That ringing undistorted guitar tone, man.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Having Holy Ghost and Goodness to listen to at work is pretty fucking amazing right now.

Yep, 2 and half hours-ish. The site is down right now but you buy them here: http://thefestfl.limitedrun.com/tickets/

Speaking of crossover, is there a general punk/hardcore GAF? Generally, my emo love is very "golden age" and doesn't quite include Thrice or Brand New and that era. Despite having seen both at those early 2000s Warped Tours and shows.

Streaming the new Hotelier right now. Of the three most recent releases (them, Modern Baseball and TMP) this is the best, I think. That ringing undistorted guitar tone, man.
I think this just kind of morphed into all 3, haha. There was a punk thread but that died a long time ago.

And I'm undecided between Hotelier and TMP, I love The Hotelier but fuck me the A side of Celebrate is incredible. Like just straight up, 5 perfect songs in a row

I think this just kind of morphed into all 3, haha. There was a punk thread but that died a long time ago.

And I'm undecided between Hotelier and TMP, I love The Hotelier but fuck me the A side of Celebrate is incredible. Like just straight up, 5 perfect songs in a row

Bird house is fucking awesome on that Tiny Moving Parts record.

Auctopus

Just finished Goodness. There were definite highlights but I think it needs another listen :/ Home... is probably my favourite emo album.

It feels kind of sparse right now so I'll need to read the lyrics a bit.

Just finished Goodness. There were definite highlights but I think it needs another listen :/ Home... is probably my favourite emo album.

It feels kind of sparse right now so I'll need to read the lyrics a bit.

Home is definitely more approachable in the sense that I can jump in anywhere, it's harder to do that with Goodness. Home is one of the greatest albums I've ever heard though.

Home is definitely more approachable in the sense that I can jump in anywhere, it's harder to do that with Goodness. Home is one of the greatest albums I've ever heard though.

I actually like Goodness more and that is saying something about how damn good Goodness is

I love Triple Crown's record pressings. Always so fucking good

kris.

Banned
im in the middle of my 3rd listen of Goodness and i'm pretty sure my copy is fucked up in parts, i think the sync to my phone's itunes fucked something up. but man this album is immense.

Top Bottom