• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

God, I love the Weakerthans. I think I still have my hoodie. It's about 15 years old at this point and there's no way it fits now.

"My ribs that show through T-shirts and these shoes I got for free" was, like, my life.

Now, it's closer to "My beer gut protrudes through flannel and these shoes I got on sale..."

lmao

nice one, dude.

Zakalwe

Banned
The new Hotelier record is good. 'Goodness Pt 2' and 'Soft Animal' especially.

This thread and that album has inspired me to break out my Texas is the Reason and Get Up Kids CDs. Perfect summer soundtracks.

Owen's new album The King of Whys showed up yesterday.

Pretty solid, definitely a blend of traditional Owen and a dash of American Football. I've spun it a few times and, while it doesn't have quite the same highs as some of his other albums, it's pretty damn consistent.

Case in point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w77eL8W0ukU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnmqniEJa0s

Anyway, it's not on Spotify yet (c'mon, polyvinyl), but you should check it out ASAP.

Auctopus

Goodness, has received universally positive reviews, though critics often seem to feel they need to apologize for liking it. Many appear uncomfortable using the word "emo" to describe the band, though that's clearly the music they play. Pitchfork senior editor Jillian Mapes dodged the question expertly: "At this point, however, it might not even be accurate to call them emo, so let's just have it out now: The Hotelier is a great rock band, however you classify them." A sudden onset of rhetorical fussiness about genre labels is a common way to give a great band a pass when they play a style of music that's still widely reviled

Pitchfork are literally the zeitgheist. They don't have a music taste, they just like whatever's popular or cool to like.

kiguel182

Home had 8.3. Which was higher but not high enough to be best new music. If the band wasn't emo I bet it would've been an 8.5.

Emo is a dirty term that isn't cool. No matter how good the music is the reviews will always have caveats like Pitchfork' "this isn't emo". It is how it is.

As much as I want the bands I love to be successful, when it comes to certain publications they will only do so by being twice as good as they normally should be and with the genre caveat.

There's a reason Bemis bitches about Pitchfork in his records. Not that it matters in the end. The Hotelier is the kind of band who doesn't give two shits about what Pitchfork thinks of them.

olympia

Home had 8.3. Which was higher but not high enough to be best new music. If the band wasn't emo I bet it would've been an 8.5.

Emo is a dirty term that isn't cool. No matter how good the music is the reviews will always have caveats like Pitchfork' "this isn't emo". It is how it is.

As much as I want the bands I love to be successful, when it comes to certain publications they will only do so by being twice as good as they normally should be and with the genre caveat.

There's a reason Bemis bitches about Pitchfork in his records. Not that it matters in the end. The Hotelier is the kind of band who doesn't give two shits about what Pitchfork thinks of them.

emo definitely invokes a lot of idiotic misconceptions and i'm not sure if the "resurgence" (which on a surface level seems to be inspired by nostalgia) has made that any better.

olympia

This is a song about my Bike "Ralph" and it's called "Ralph">>>>

and those harmonies on Chunks>>>>>>>>>>

deffo my favorite track. I also like the groove in the first verse in General Tso

tonight's the night. finally gonna get to see brand new again. probably the last time. that's okay though. hope they play some 06 songs but looking at their setlist from LA and SD probably not.

Huh, this thread exists? Perfect.The Jank EP is fantastic, and Goodness is def on my aoty list.

I can't believe I've never seen this thread before.

olympia

I'd buy TA tix but they don't have a SF or Oakland stop for some weird reason even though they used to come here all the time

brand new was incredible

Guys, I've been feeling a bit bummed on new music since we're over half way through the year and I have not been stoked on very many of this year's big releases at all. Modern Baseball, Jank, Cape Cope, Pup, Direct Hit, Pinegrove. I've given them all multiple listens and I'm just not feeling it.

The albums released so far this year (including other genres) that I have enjoyed are:
Brian Fallon - Painkillers (really good)
cllctyrslf - --it started shifting (loved it)
Dowsing - Okay (good)
I Love Your Lifestyle - We Go Way Back (good)
Muncie Girls - From Caplan to Belsize (really good)
Tender Defender - EP (good)
The Hotelier - Goodness
Tiny Moving Parts - Celebrate (loved it)

Actually in typing this I just discovered three!! good new albums that came out in the past couple months that I hadn't heard yet. So maybe things aren't so bad.

For Everest - We Are at Home in the Body
Suis La Lune / Shirokuma - Split
Sport (France) - Slow

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Guys, I've been feeling a bit bummed on new music since we're over half way through the year and I have not been stoked on very many of this year's big releases at all. Modern Baseball, Jank, Cape Cope, Pup, Direct Hit, Pinegrove. I've given them all multiple listens and I'm just not feeling it.

The albums released so far this year (including other genres) that I have enjoyed are:
Dowsing - Okay (good)
The Hotelier - Goodness

Actually in typing this I just discovered three!! good new albums that came out in the past couple months that I hadn't heard yet. So maybe things aren't so bad.

Sport (France) - Slow

Damn dude, you've listed off the biggest and best releases in the genre(s) at the top there., it's a shame you're not feeling them.
Do we talk math rock in here at all? I'm still unsure what classes as emo these days :p Only just discovered TTNG last week somehow, but I'm i love <3

Damn dude, you've listed off the biggest and best releases in the genre(s) at the top there., it's a shame you're not feeling them.
Do we talk math rock in here at all? I'm still unsure what classes as emo these days :p Only just discovered TTNG last week somehow, but I'm i love <3

I know, I feel like something is wrong with me, but I am glad that I at least like the new Hotelier album. I was really worried I wouldn't like it after seeing them live back before it came out and hearing the new songs live and found them to be really boring. The album has grown on me though, but I think they're a band that I'd rather listen to on album than see live.

I'll check out the new TTNG though. I haven't listened to them since they released Animals and were called This Town Needs Guns, but I thought they were enjoyable. Talking about math rock is cool here. Check out Gulfer - What Gives. They're from Montreal and are really good. The album is PWYW now too.

TTNG are pretty good, will be watching them at Arctangent festival in a few weeks with other bands such as American Football, Mono, GYBE, La Dispute, Owen, Caspian, Toe, mewithoutyou... and one of the best bands from the screamo-scene in Spain, Viva Belgrado, you SHOULD listen to them, they're awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oX-l_wUm_M

talking about math-rock (not math-core..) there are a lot of awesome bands most people never realized they're very influenced in math-rock: Minus the Bear, Foals, Battles, Floating Points, Slint, Damiera..

Dowsing - Okay (good)
The Hotelier - Goodness

Sport (France) - Slow

Recents releases you should also check:

Russian Circles - Afrika
White Lung - Paradise
Departures - Death Touches Us, From The Moment We Beg
Orbs - Past Life Regression
Frameworks - Smother

TTNG are pretty good, will be watching them at Arctangent festival in a few weeks with other bands such as American Football, Mono, GYBE, La Dispute, Owen, Caspian, Toe, mewithoutyou... and one of the best bands from the screamo-scene in Spain, Viva Belgrado, you SHOULD listen to them, they're awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oX-l_wUm_M

talking about math-rock (not math-core..) there are a lot of awesome bands most people never realized they're very influenced in math-rock: Minus the Bear, Foals, Battles, Floating Points, Slint, Damiera..

Got to quote for the Viva Belgrado recommendation. I saw them back in April and they were awesome. That Arctangent festival line up is great. American Football were so good when I saw them earlier this month so I hope you have a good time. Check out the local band Svalbard if you get a chance too. They're great as well.

Edit: Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out.

Dowsing - Okay (good)
The Hotelier - Goodness

Sport (France) - Slow
Oh man, super stoked on seeing Muncie Girls in there. Been following them since pretty early and it's great to see them making waves, especially as they're all super nice people

EDIT: On math rock, I fucking love Tubelord's first album

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I was listening to Tiny Moving Parts only 2 days ago, how did their new album slip by, it's right there next to their other albums.

Well I've got some more listening today, something to break up leaving Billy Talent's new album on repeat.
I know, not emo, don't hurt me.

EDIT: Oh fucking snap, I didn't know they were supporting The Fall of Troy on their current tour, I was looking at going to that because they're playing 2 minutes from my flat. Fan-fucking-tastic.

Sometimes albums need a spin or two to sink in, so I wouldn't be too bummed about not getting down on things you thought you would. Go back to that Modern Baseball, though. I thought it kicked ass. And the first two songs on the new PUP... you might want to feel bad if you don't think those are just scorchers.

Speaking of, it looks like PUP is stopping in my town the day before the Fest, so I might see them twice that weekend. Any input on how they are live?

And here's Mikey Erg doing a Wings cover: https://youtu.be/mRWkO0VUGqc

Sometimes albums need a spin or two to sink in, so I wouldn't be too bummed about not getting down on things you thought you would. Go back to that Modern Baseball, though. I thought it kicked ass. And the first two songs* on the new PUP... you might want to feel bad if you don't think those are just scorchers.

Speaking of, it looks like PUP is stopping in my town the day before the Fest, so I might see them twice that weekend. Any input on how they are live?

If they're anything like this studio session it should be incredible.

* My Life Is Over And I Couldnt Be Happier is also a certified banger.

Sometimes albums need a spin or two to sink in, so I wouldn't be too bummed about not getting down on things you thought you would. Go back to that Modern Baseball, though. I thought it kicked ass. And the first two songs on the new PUP... you might want to feel bad if you don't think those are just scorchers.

Oh shit it's Lou from Caves and Messenger Bag from The Chris Gethard Show

And go to that gig

Pup are legit incredible live

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Dowsing - Okay (good)
The Hotelier - Goodness

Sport (France) - Slow

All of the stuff on both your likes and dislikes lists that I've listened to, I completely agree with your opinion, so we clearly have very similar taste. WIth that in mind, I figured I ought to check out the stuff on your likes list that I haven't heard yet. I'm listening to cllctyrslf right now and I'm really, really digging it! Looking forward to checking out the other stuff as well. Thanks for the suggestions!

Edit: Just figured out who cllctyrslf really reminds me of! Toby Foster and High Dive (which is Toby Foster's band). Definitely give them a listen!

Second Edit: Didn't realize High Dive had a new album out (called New Teeth)! I'm halfway through listening to it right now and so far it is absolutely fantastic. I'd highly recommend everyone checking it out.

All of the stuff on both your likes and dislikes lists that I've listened to, I completely agree with your opinion, so we clearly have very similar taste. WIth that in mind, I figured I ought to check out the stuff on your likes list that I haven't heard yet. I'm listening to cllctyrslf right now and I'm really, really digging it! Looking forward to checking out the other stuff as well. Thanks for the suggestions!

Edit: Just figured out who cllctyrslf really reminds me of! Toby Foster and High Dive (which is Toby Foster's band). Definitely give them a listen!

Second Edit: Didn't realize High Dive had a new album out (called New Teeth)! I'm halfway through listening to it right now and so far it is absolutely fantastic. I'd highly recommend everyone checking it out.

My man! High Five! I'm glad you are checking out cllctyrslf. It really came out of nowhere for me, but I haven't heard anyone else talking about it.

I listened to the High Dive album a few times last year but then I just ended up listening to Coffee and Ice Water on repeat and it ended up being one of my favorite songs of the year. So good. Ginger from Good Luck sings and I love her voice. Also, other members are in Defiance, Ohio which is another band I love a lot. I'm checking out the Toby Foster album now, good stuff.

Keep me posted if you have any other recommendations.

Kipp

My man! High Five! I'm glad you are checking out cllctyrslf. It really came out of nowhere for me, but I haven't heard anyone else talking about it.

I listened to the High Dive album a few times last year but then I just ended up listening to Coffee and Ice Water on repeat and it ended up being one of my favorite songs of the year. So good. Ginger from Good Luck sings and I love her voice. Also, other members are in Defiance, Ohio which is another band I love a lot. I'm checking out the Toby Foster album now, good stuff.

Keep me posted if you have any other recommendations.

Hell yes, dude! Good Luck is one of my all time favorite bands! I've listened to both of their albums probably a hundred times. And Defiance, Ohio is another one of my all-time favorites! I knew you and I shared the same good taste!
But yeah, I was so stoked when I heard Ginger singing on a couple of the songs on the new High Dive album! I recognized her voice immediately. So good.

Since you like all of those bands, you definitely have to check out one of my other all-time favorites (I know I'm using that term a lot in my post, but these are genuinely top 10 favorite bands for me) is Nana Grizol. Both of their albums (Love It! Love It! and Ruth) are on my top 5 (or at least top 10) favorite albums of all time. They're so damn good if you're into their style.
Also, that Theo Hilton, Toby Foster, and Ryan Woods EP has some FANTASTIC songs on it. City Sidewalks is a masterpiece. Theo Hilton is the lead singer of Nana Grizol FYI (and he's in Defiance, Ohio, too, IIRC).

I feel like I might be missing one other band from that little niche that all these bands fit into... That niche is literally where all my favorite bands reside. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.
But basically, if you like all those bands, you absolutely have to check out Nana Grizol.

Also, I'm just so happy that someone else is into all these super niche bands that I'm into as well. I've literally never heard anyone talk about Good Luck. And I've also never known anyone else who's already known of High Dive. You're awesome.

Kipp

Good Luck are rad as hell, and I need to listen to High Dive more

West Wind Ride and Novel Figure are amazing songs

Yes! Glad there's another Good Luck fan in here! I absolutely love them.

Also, I'm on the second listen of cllctyrslf --it started shifting. Loving it.

Top Bottom