• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
This girl brought me to a emo karaoke night. I feel like I'm 17 again

Omg.
That sounds like too much fun.

"CUT MY WRISTS AND BLACK MY EYES
CUT MY WRISTS AND BLACK MY EEEEYEEESSS!
SO I CAN FALL ASLEEP TONIGHT!
OR DIIIIE!"

Recents releases you should also check:

Russian Circles - Afrika
White Lung - Paradise
Departures - Death Touches Us, From The Moment We Beg
Orbs - Past Life Regression
Frameworks - Smother

Well I listened to these albums and the Departures one seems promising, but I will give it another couple spins.

I also forgot another album that disappointed me this year, the new gates album. I love the first two ep's so much and liked Bloom and Breathe, but I just can't get into Parallel Lives.

Sometimes albums need a spin or two to sink in, so I wouldn't be too bummed about not getting down on things you thought you would. Go back to that Modern Baseball, though. I thought it kicked ass. And the first two songs on the new PUP... you might want to feel bad if you don't think those are just scorchers.
Yeah, I do like the first two songs, but I always seem to lose interest somewhere in the middle of the album and want to stop listening. I will give Modern Baseball another chance though since I'll probably be seeing them in February.

Hell yes, dude! Good Luck is one of my all time favorite bands! I've listened to both of their albums probably a hundred times. And Defiance, Ohio is another one of my all-time favorites! I knew you and I shared the same good taste!
But yeah, I was so stoked when I heard Ginger singing on a couple of the songs on the new High Dive album! I recognized her voice immediately. So good.

Since you like all of those bands, you definitely have to check out one of my other all-time favorites (I know I'm using that term a lot in my post, but these are genuinely top 10 favorite bands for me) is Nana Grizol. Both of their albums (Love It! Love It! and Ruth) are on my top 5 (or at least top 10) favorite albums of all time. They're so damn good if you're into their style.
Also, that Theo Hilton, Toby Foster, and Ryan Woods EP has some FANTASTIC songs on it. City Sidewalks is a masterpiece. Theo Hilton is the lead singer of Nana Grizol FYI (and he's in Defiance, Ohio, too, IIRC).

I feel like I might be missing one other band from that little niche that all these bands fit into... That niche is literally where all my favorite bands reside. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.
But basically, if you like all those bands, you absolutely have to check out Nana Grizol.

Also, I'm just so happy that someone else is into all these super niche bands that I'm into as well. I've literally never heard anyone talk about Good Luck. And I've also never known anyone else who's already known of High Dive. You're awesome.

Haha thanks man, one of the best nights for shows I had was back when The Gaslight Anthem were first getting big enough to headline shows and going to see their show and after it finished, running across town to see Defiance, Ohio. Such a fun night.

I actually had Nana Grizol downloaded on my computer, but I had completely forgot about it. Time to give it another listen, I've been wanting some new Defiance, Ohio so this will hopefully fill the void.

Kipp

Haha thanks man, one of the best nights for shows I had was back when The Gaslight Anthem were first getting big enough to headline shows and going to see their show and after it finished, running across town to see Defiance, Ohio. Such a fun night.

I actually had Nana Grizol downloaded on my computer, but I had completely forgot about it. Time to give it another listen, I've been wanting some new Defiance, Ohio so this will hopefully fill the void.

It's blowing my mind how identical our tastes in music are. Gaslight Anthem is another one of my all-time favorites (I swear I don't use that term as loosely as it seems like I am. Haha). I'm so insanely jealous of seeing TGA and Defiance, Ohio in the same night.
I saw Brian Fallon play a solo show once. And it would have been absolutely awesome had I not been horribly uncomfortable due to getting food poisoning from Little Caesar's hours earlier.
Nana Grizol once played a show in my city but for some completely insufficient reason I decided not to go... Definitely one of my biggest regrets. Hopefully I get a second chance sometime.
And yeah, some new Defiance, Ohio would be great. I wasn't a huge fan of Midwestern Minutes at first, but it's grown to be one of my favorites of theirs. I've been listening to it a bunch lately.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Girlfriend got me The Fall of Troy w/ Tiny Moving Parts tickets for my birthday, cannot wait.

Not sure she entirely knows what she's in for though...

Kipp

I've been listening to High Dive's New Teeth on repeat the past few days. I'm absolutely in love with that album. The music and lyrics both hit home for me so perfectly.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
13920568_10154437878783023_1681959921637537538_o.jpg

What a tour, I know it never happens but god if they brought this tour to Europe...

Kawl_USC

Hot damn.

Was disappointed with the last front bottoms show I saw, but modern baseball should be incredible with Holy Ghost and perfect cast in the rotation.

I'm working night shift during a turn around then and would have to go down to corpus but I'm definitely gonna try to swing that.

This new Owen record has got all my attention right now. So good.

It's just a weird tour in general. At least corpus is on a Saturday. I plan to make the trip with a friend.

That's pretty cool! I would do it if they were gonna be somewhere else but I can't justify that lol

Some good shows coming up this fall though luckily other than that

it's cool. energetic. didn't grab me though. i like their other album more

love em. what did you think of new bermuda. its good but i like s u n b a t h e r better

also MJ what do you think of self defense family. do you like em. i like em

Sunbather is a better album imo too but New Bermuda is still fucking incredible.

I need to check out Self Defense FAmily. Been meaning to for a very long time but still never have :/ so I need to get on that

olympia

Sunbather is a better album imo too but New Bermuda is still fucking incredible.

I need to check out Self Defense FAmily. Been meaning to for a very long time but still never have :/ so I need to get on that

maybe start with their split with touche amore it's fucking great

fuck yesssssss! sounds awesome. they are really taking the more refined approach after never hungover again

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I've been listening to High Dive's New Teeth on repeat the past few days. I'm absolutely in love with that album. The music and lyrics both hit home for me so perfectly.

Thanks for the rec, Kipp! Just listened to the album all the way through--excellent stuff.

This new album by Dog Party is a killer. I really love a solid female-fronted band (they even do a good rendition of Rebel Girl!) and this thing just oozes Ramones (the GOAT.)

They're a 2-piece with no bass and while I won't say that I miss the bass, I can't help but feel that it would be better with it.

Also, the Fest schedule goes live tomorrow. We need to brainstorm, compare and contrast... even if you aren't going!

kiguel182

Saw a Pinegrove LP on a record store but it was 26 euros... I was so tempted but damn, too expensive. There was also a Postal Service record for 44 euros!

Also, I'm slightly disappointed with the new Moose Blood record. It's good but it didn't hit me like the last one did. It's a shame because I really like the first single they put out and that's still the highlight for me.

Saw a Pinegrove LP on a record store but it was 26 euros... I was so tempted but damn, too expensive. There was also a Postal Service record for 44 euros!

Also, I'm slightly disappointed with the new Moose Blood record. It's good but it didn't hit me like the last one did. It's a shame because I really like the first single they put out and that's still the highlight for me.

New Moose Blood is pretty eh...

I had higher hopes for it.

Give Up is an incredible record (still) and I see the vinyl around too but it's always really expensive for some reason.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
So glad you like it!
I've still been listening to it pretty much non-stop. Just so good.

I grabbed the record yesterday after listening to it a few times through, haha. A fucking steal at $10.

mattp

the ergs are headlining main stage at fest

also, i saw piebald in philly last night and they were SO fucking great
and travis' hair is out of control
13906743_10210325397274780_9021360995059767549_n.jpg

Bo Didley Plaza

9:00 PM - 10:00 PM Propagandhi
7:40 PM - 8:40 PM The Ergs! (Reunion)
6:20 PM - 7:20 PM Latterman (Reunion)
5:20 PM - 6:00 PM Off With Their Heads
4:30 PM DOORS

... Oh em gee... 4 of my top 5 in single succession. Do they make you leave shows in between and get back in line for recent Fests or can you get in and stay in?

Also, I had no idea Hard Girls was playing the Fest. They weren't on any lists I saw, so this is incredible.

Dillinger Four on Saturday is my number one, must go, can't miss situation. Not optional.

Bo Didley Plaza

9:00 PM - 10:00 PM Propagandhi
7:40 PM - 8:40 PM The Ergs! (Reunion)
6:20 PM - 7:20 PM Latterman (Reunion)
5:20 PM - 6:00 PM Off With Their Heads
4:30 PM DOORS

... Oh em gee... 4 of my top 5 in single succession. Do they make you leave shows in between and get back in line for recent Fests or can you get in and stay in?

Also, I had no idea Hard Girls was playing the Fest. They weren't on any lists I saw, so this is incredible.

Dillinger Four on Saturday is my number one, must go, can't miss situation. Not optional.
It would be suuuuuper shitty if they kicked you out between bands, you're good to stick around and get drinks and shit

Also I'm glad I'm going to Pre Fest because that run clashes with PEARS and Red City Radio

Bo Diddley Plaza looks pretty cool

GKofVkVl.jpg

Also I have a new most anticipated set: Jabber covering Spice Girls

So I have a pretty awesome weekend in October coming up.

I have From Indian Lakes on Thursday, then Balance and Composure/Foxing on Friday, and then Capsize on Saturday night.

Gonna be one hell of a weekend.

Top Bottom