• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

It would be suuuuuper shitty if they kicked you out between bands, you're good to stick around and get drinks and shit

Also I'm glad I'm going to Pre Fest because that run clashes with PEARS and Red City Radio

Bo Diddley Plaza looks pretty cool

http://i.imgur.com/GKofVkVl.jpg[/img

Also I have a new most anticipated set: Jabber covering Spice Girls[/QUOTE]

I thought I read some complaining about that being the case in a semi-recent Fest. The only one I've been to was forever ago, and it was mostly just me meandering around a crowd of smelly gutter folk. I didn't have tickets or the pass.

Before that plaza was named in honor of the great Bo, it was a shitty little bandstand. It looks super nice now.

The Jeff Rosenstock doing Minor Threat should be a good show, too. It's no Spice Girls, though. I'm thinking on Friday, after that killer set, I'll pop over to see Toys That Kill and hope that the mystery show is good.

olympia

the ergs are headlining main stage at fest

also, i saw piebald in philly last night and they were SO fucking great
and travis' hair is out of control
13906743_10210325397274780_9021360995059767549_n.jpg

nice

So this is a couple days old news but Brightsie broke up :(

Seriously cool dudes who made some awesome music. Shit sucks. First we lose Marietta, then Empire, then Brightside, and the true death of Snwoing.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I heard "Regret" by New Order on the radio the other day and now I can't stop listening to The Get Up Kids cover (although the original is also amazing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b-3mr4sEJ0

Eudora might actually be my favorite compilation album

kiguel182

First things first: NEW MICROWAVE!!.

NEW MENZINGERS

it's cool. energetic. didn't grab me though. i like their other album more

New Moose Blood is pretty eh...

I had higher hopes for it.

Cool is a good description I think. It didn't grab me but it isn't bad. I'll still listen to it a bunch more before settling on it. Definitely didn't correspond to my expectations.

Give Up is an incredible record (still) and I see the vinyl around too but it's always really expensive for some reason.

It was the 10th anniversary super special edition so I guess I get it. Still, super expensive. I wish I could buy it, that record really is something else.

akileese

So 3 months late to the party but Vinnie Caruana (of I am the Avalanche and Movielife fame) put out a solo album called Survivors Guilt back in May. I hadn't gotten a chance to listen to it until about a week and a half ago and it's really good. Shockingly so actually.

That is not to discount Vinnie's abilities as a musician, but Anthony Ranieri of Bayside and him are good friends and Vinnie always used to open Anthony's solo/acoustic shows and rag on himself for being so bad at them. I never thought he was that terrible as I grew up listening to him in Movielife way back in the late 90s and early 2000s when I used to go to sketchy basement shows. I still have my copy of It's Go Time somewhere in a box and that stuff, while high energy and fun as hell, was pretty rough.

Anywho, I'm like 6 or 7 drinks deep and rambling a bit. I guess the point is that it's really cool to see a guy who always used to rag on his own abilities as a solo artist actually succeed at it.

Bought cds of Oso Oso's Real Stories Of True People... and TWIABP's Harmlessness, so I'm feeling pretty good. Hotelier's Goodness is probably my next purchase.

PillarEN

Best sad emo albums will always be Carissa's Wierd for me. Band of Horses are great, but not CW level amazing.

Thank you for this. Been listening to "Songs About Leaving" for the past hour. Haven't gotten through it because I'm repeating certain songs way too many times.

Holy fuck that new Touche song is so good. Love the post-punk feel, so I agree with you olympia but goddamn that last minute the emotion is palpable

Doombear

Is it just my browser not liking Soundcloud frames or is that Skyscraper song not in the Spin link anymore? I wanted to hear it =(

EDIT: Had to switch to mobile, not sure what's up. Amazing song...

So in one night I have the option for 3 concerts and I can't decide.

In mid- October I have all these shows in one week.

Thursday I am seeing From Indian Lakes

Friday I am seeing Balance and Foxing

and now Saturday is where decisions come in. I could go see, Pinegrove and Julien Baker. Capsize. or Andrew Jackson Jihad.

What say you emogaf?

Kawl_USC

and now Saturday is where decisions come in. I could go see, Pinegrove and Julien Baker. Capsize. or Andrew Jackson Jihad.

What say you emogaf?

You see Rosenstock is at Walters on Nov 2?

Oct/November is ridiculous. While I'm working nights on a turn around of course.

I'll probably be at that Pinegrove/Julien Baker show if that helps or hurts haha.

You see Rosenstock is at Walters on Nov 2?

Oct/November is ridiculous. While I'm working nights on a turn around of course.

I'll probably be at that Pinegrove/Julien Baker show if that helps or hurts haha.

i'd go to pinegrove and julien baker

Well apparently the decision got easier. The date was moved to November 8th.

So looks like it is between melodic hardcore goodness or folksy emo goodness.

Also Animal Collective comes in November too... good lord. I am gonna be so busy haha

To Rosenstock.. I am not a huge fan of him. I may go and check it out though

akileese

What say you emogaf?

Def Pinegrove and Julien Baker. FYI, if you're not familiar with him, Kevin Devine is headlining that show and Kevin is pretty much one of my all time favorite artists. He's absolutely fantastic and if you dig Julien Baker you'll probably really enjoy him. I'm going to that same show in Dallas.

Hey, we all make mistakes. At least this community is welcoming to our pariahs

Nah. I heard he is pretty dope live though

Def Pinegrove and Julien Baker. FYI, if you're not familiar with him, Kevin Devine is headlining that show and Kevin is pretty much one of my all time favorite artists. He's absolutely fantastic and if you dig Julien Baker you'll probably really enjoy him. I'm going to that same show in Dallas.

Well I found out the date shifted so I can go to that show for sure.

I am leaning towards AJJ right now

Hard Girls is opening for Rosenstock. I think you should try to swing it and go.

He's coming to my town the literal night before the Fest, so I'm probably going to see them twice that weekend.

They're pretty big on my list right now. That last record was overwhelmingly good.

olympia

Seeing Bayside,Sorority Noise, and The Menzingers today. So hyped. Anyone here going by any chance? In NY

sounds sick. how was it?

not emo again but if theres an interested thread it's this one. new super unison dropped. if you don't know, its a band with meghan o'neil from the sf hardcore band punch. can't wait for the full length.

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/super-unison-time-and-distance

damn, new joyce manor, touche, dangers and now super unison. plus all the good releases that have come out this year. this year is stackeddddd

AND new kevin devine

Crayons

Banned
sounds sick. how was it?

not emo again but if theres an interested thread it's this one. new super unison dropped. if you don't know, its a band with meghan o'neil from the sf hardcore band punch. can't wait for the full length.

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/super-unison-time-and-distance

damn, new joyce manor, touche, dangers and now super unison. plus all the good releases that have come out this year. this year is stackeddddd

It was a good time of the little that I remembered from it. Some cute guys were checking me out but I was like struggling to stand up and shit and they asked my friend "dude is your friend okay" and i just kind of mumbled and swayed to myself

the vocalist of sorority noise was speaking about his struggle with depression and I was there screaming "WOOOO! YEAH!!!" and clapping

Been out of the loop for a while after basically just listening to Jank for the last few weeks, hip me up with some new recommendations if you guys have any.

Versace Summer is easily the best thing I've heard this year and is on par with Tokyo Police Club's A Lesson in Crime for my favourite EP ever.

welp, (kinda) survived ArcTanGent, I caught a cold because of the heavy rain (camped at the site) but I loved the festival, my fave shows were: GYBE (this is not music, this is something else), American Football, Yndi Halda (what a show, W-H-A-T A S-H-O-W), Caspian, Alma (you MUST listen to them guys!), La Dispute (even though I missed some songs such as You and I in Unison..) Mono, TTNG, Viva Belgrado (amazing, as always), Exxasens, Delta Sleep, Vasudeva, Tiny Fingers and Axes.

even though I caught a cold I have two tickets for tonite's Caspian show in Madrid, so, I can't wait to come back home to have some rest.

Last night's Caspian show was amazing, they played for 90 minutes, apparently the last time the came to Madrid they arrived late (because of a flat tire), so they said back then that they promise next time they would play in Madrid they would play more than usual. They played new songs, very old songs, and songs from Dust and Disquiet. These guys are amazing with pedal effects and noise boxes.

Well, 2016 is being awesome for new releases, not only we got some cool releases such as The Hotelier, Tiny Moving Parts, Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Modern Baseball, O'brother, etc.. but it's like christmas in summer, in the coming months, new: Jimmy Eat World, Balance and Composure, From Indian Lakes, Cymbal Eats Guitars, and fucking Planes Mistaken For Stars (one of my favourite bands).

If American Football and Brand New release their new albums this year, welp I don't recall a better year for releases in decades.

That news has me listening to the classic first album at work.

"Thinkiiiiiiiiing about leeeeaaaving... how I should say goooooooodbye..."

Excuse my while I mope around memory lane for the rest of the day.

Kawl_USC

Posture & the Grizzlys "I am Satan" is up on Apple music and spotify making it much more convienent to listen to one of my top 3 albums of the year so far.

kiguel182

Finally listen to the new American Football song and it's so good. It's always a risk for a band like this to make new music but given this is Mike Kinsella we are talking about I doubt it will be bad.

Also, new Touche Amore with Julien Baker is also good. I never really listened to them before I admit, I checked it out because of Baker obviously.

Top Bottom