• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

Finally listen to the new American Football song and it's so good. It's always a risk for a band like this to make new music but given this is Mike Kinsella we are talking about I doubt it will be bad.

Also, new Touche Amore with Julien Baker is also good. I never really listened to them before I admit, I checked it out because of Baker obviously.

Only qualms about new Footie is that it sounds too much like Owen. As much as I love Owen, keep em separate.

Gotta check out Touche dude. Ya gotta. Check. Them. Out. Literally everything. Start with their LPs though.

olympia

omg yes listen to touche now

Also they have a shitload of splits with bands you might also like:

Self defense family
La dispute
Title fight
Pianos become the teeth
Casket lottery
Make do and mend

didn't realize that there was a palm dreams single out

kiguel182

Only qualms about new Footie is that it sounds too much like Owen. As much as I love Owen, keep em separate.

Gotta check out Touche dude. Ya gotta. Check. Them. Out. Literally everything. Start with their LPs though.

Self defense family
La dispute
Title fight
Pianos become the teeth
Casket lottery
Make do and mend

Any touche recommandations or should I just start from the beginning?

Also, yeah AF sounds a bit like Owen but the truth is also that Owen borrows from AF a bit too so it evens out for me.

And even if it's an Owen record with the other dudes it will still be pretty good.

I would start with Parting a Sea then move to Is Survived By.. (My fav record by them) then go to their splits in any order really. Then listen to Beat a Dead Horse.

Then Stage 4 when it comes out

kiguel182

I would start with Parting a Sea then move to Is Survived By.. (My fav record by them) then go to their splits in any order really. Then listen to Beat a Dead Horse.

Then Stage 4 when it comes out

I went to check it out and I've listen to Is Survived By before! Only a couple of times, but I remembered liking it. I'll give them another try.

Also, I don't know if anyone here likes DIIV but I just discovered them and I'm digging their latest record. Reminds me of Turnover's latest at times.

Kiguel, Parting The Sea is their best album imo. ~, and Home Away From Here are both sooo good

Just checking in to see if you guys have hopped on board the PEARS train yet. Best new band of 2010s without question.
YES

SO FUCKING GOOD

The constant jumping between super aggressive hardcore and upbeat pop-punk and having it all feel completely natural is amazing

olympia

well it depends on your taste i guess. if you like stuff that's closer to hardcore start with dead horse and their first EP. if you aren't feeling that right now you can start with stuff that i feel is more approximate to emo (although not really) with parting the sea and is survived by.

parting the sea is also my favorite, but a lot of people fucking love is survived by, which is an incredible album

Self defense family
La dispute
Title fight
Pianos become the teeth
Casket lottery
Make do and mend

Touché Amoré is one of the most important bands in this "new" post-hardcore trend besides Pianos Become the Teeth and La Dispute, I simply love them.

btw if you haven't you should listen/watch their new video for Skyscraper (featuring Julien Baker <3), my SOTY: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LkMrraYCWg

I want to preorder that gold version of the new AF album, but I've been on such a spree lately. I put myself on a mental hold and said, "That's the last one for now," but then I realized I didn't have a copy of Dorkrockcorkrod so that's my last last one for now.

"Departures and Landfalls" by Boy's Life will be coming from my office today.

olympia

old news but i thought'd i'd post it for people not in the know. too many shows/tours in oct. i've never seen hotelier but joyce manor is fucking fun and i'm super digging crying's new stuff

13659074_487916294739899_8922623914214384834_n.jpg

also if you're in the bay area there is a dangers/super unison/fossor house show at the 1234Go! in oakland oct 5. it will be insanely lit

Pre-ordered the new Planes Mistaken For Stars's album from http://www.planesmistakenforstars.com You can also stream "Fucking Tenderness", which I really dig, so pumped for this new album after Mercy :D :D

BTW, since I'm from Spain I pre-ordered the silver early bird edition of the new AF album, which I realized is limited to 250 copies, while the american gold edition is limited to 3000, so, is the european one more "exclusive"?

kiguel182

The new Jimmy Eat World sounds, well, it sounds like a Jimmy Eat World song. It's not bad but it's nothing to write home about.

Hopefully the album has some more creative stuff in it. I'll still enjoy it because it's Jimmy Eat World but I wanted something more.

I don't know if they've been mentioned in this thread but please check out the band Fox Wound. Their new album 'In Passing, You Too Faded' is awesome.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Just came across this really rad track from Jake from Modern Baseball. Dude is releasing a solo album under the name Slaughter Beach, Dog.

-Monsters

I don't know if they've been mentioned in this thread but please check out the band Fox Wound. Their new album 'In Passing, You Too Faded' is awesome.

I've got a friend in Atlanta who also loves emo. We constantly trade recommendations and show reviews and, increasingly the norm, shows we were going to go to but were just too tired/lazy/mopey to hit.

Naturally, I can't wait to tell him how he whiffed on a killer local band. Thanks!

kris.

Banned
dang when did we get moved? boooooooo

OT: i need something to set my record player and receiver up on. something that's like 18 inches wide and deep enough to put my receiver inside of with a top to put my record player on. these kallax shelves from ikea are solid and look like what i'm trying to go for but i don't know if they're big enough. anyone got any ideas? i might have to ask this over at vinylGAF but you dudes are into that too so idk

only prob is that it can't be too wide, like 18 inches max because i have to be able to put my two speakers on both ends and space is super limited. shit sucks but it's all i have to work with

Kawl_USC

Was grabbing coffee at a place near UofH Saturday when some jabroni was wearing the exact same Modern Baseball Brady brunch shirt.

Would have chatted with the dude but I had company.

I'll just assume it was an emo Gaf poster.

Was grabbing coffee at a place near UofH Saturday when some jabroni was wearing the exact same Modern Baseball Brady brunch shirt.

Would have chatted with the dude but I had company.

I'll just assume it was an emo Gaf poster.

I don't like Modern Baseball so it wasn't me lol

kris.

Banned
picked up The Dream is Over and The Greatest Generation on vinyl tonight and the liner notes/lyrics sheet for TDIO might be the best thing ever.

The Spanish screamo band Viva Belgrado just released a new album Ulises yesterday which is really good.

The London punk band Apologies, I Have None also released a new album on Friday Pharmacie, which is also pretty good and some people might be interested in it.

I know that most of you are based in the U.S., but if you have any recommendations of European bands that you're really into and want to share that would be great. I have a little bit of influence now with bringing some smaller bands to town so it would be great to learn more.

Also, I was listening to an episode of the Washed Up Emo podcast and the song that played at the end sounded really good and I found out that it was Abandon! Abandon! by The Jealous Sound off their Kill Them With Kindness album. I liked the vocals and then realized that it is the same vocalist as Knapsack. I love This Conversation is Ending Starting Right Now, but I hadn't listened to The Jealous Sound before despite hearing of them before.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I wondered why I hadn't seen this thread in like a week, really should've subscribed.

Brand New are playing in my city, but supporting Biffy Clyro, I mean I don't mind Biffy Clyro but I'm not super bothered. I just really want to see Brand New...

Forgot to mention I got pit tickets with my brother to see Brand New w/ Modern Baseball and Front Bottoms in Glen Falls, NY (Anyone going??). Where do I start with MB and FB? I have never heard of either of these guys.

Forgot to mention I got pit tickets with my brother to see Brand New w/ Modern Baseball and Front Bottoms in Glen Falls, NY (Anyone going??). Where do I start with MB and FB? I have never heard of either of these guys.

Modern Baseball's second album You're Gonna Miss it All is their best in my opinion, but I've really enjoyed all three of their LPs.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Damn, I am jealous, man. Modern Baseball is brilliant live and the Front Bottoms are fucking incredible.

For Modern Baseball, start from the beginning:
1. Sports
2. You're Gonna Miss it all
2.5. The Perfect Cast EP
3. Holy Ghost

For The Front Bottoms, start from the not-actual but actual beginning:
1. The Front Bottoms
2. Talon of the Hawk
2.5. The Rose EP
3. Back on Top

It sounds odd to be like, "hey, listen to all of their stuff!" but genuinely, these are two bands where I'll pick any LP or EP, throw on the first song, and happily go right til the last. Every damn time. You'll also get to hear these bands evolve, with each album sounding pretty damn different, yet still damn great, than the previous release. All of these LPs and EPs can be found on youtube by the way, but picking up the actual records are the way to go!

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'd agree with ElephantShell in listening to You're Gonna Miss It All first, then the other 2 in any order imo. Agree with Filthy Slug's order for Front Bottoms though.

kiguel182

The new Modern Baseball record is great so listen to it all for sure. I mean, I'm a big fan so I would say check their other stuff too of course.

The Front Bottoms are cool but if you check their most popular songs on Apple Music or Spotify you will have an idea of what they are about. They are better at singles than albums in my opinion.

So Sorority Noise just announced a new tour with Jank, a short NE and midwest tour but the bigger news imo is that they signed to Triple Crown and are going to releasing a split with TWIABP this fall

Top Bottom