• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

kiguel182

That PUP video justifies the existence of video games.

I also want a Jeff Rosenstock shirt. Also, I need that album to be out right now!

I started questioning myself. I mean, I can't remember the last time I thought about The 3 Stooges.

Like, maybe I was the asshole in the situation for assuming that slapstick schtick comedy from the mid-20th century wasn't relevant.

I'm afraid to go into my lifelong infatuation with the Ramones, for fear of disappointing the mass of GAF who thought the thread would be about this dude:

2279957-razor_ramon.jpg

olympia

hahaha that stooges thread oh my god

this is like that thread where people said Carly Rae Jepsen's EMOTION album is as far reaching as Thriller. Live in your bubble.

emotion does own though

while you're checking out stuff let us know what you get into so we can rec more stuff for you :)

SO I am not sure if I actually like Dance Gavin Dance for once... This new album is kinda cool but I have always hated them. Idk why it is clicking now for some reason.

I know not emo but there is crossover from a lot of us I assume. They just made popular what i dislike about the modern phc scene. A lot of screams with super clean vox

There are some bands i do like that have that style that aren't necessarily swancore though too.

emotion does own though

while you're checking out stuff let us know what you get into so we can rec more stuff for you :)

emotion is really good! I don't even really like pop but I ate up every minute. but with it tanking and being more of a cult classic album than as mainstream as Thriller, I don't know how far reaching it will eventually be.

The Get Up Kids recommendation is so on point, thanks kris :) only listened to the Four Minute Mile album so far though...

kris.

Banned
The Get Up Kids recommendation is so on point, thanks kris :) only listened to the Four Minute Mile album so far though...

ha dude tbh i've never listened to four minute mile, but i'll check it out. i was more referring to something to write home about. that album is the shit.

edit:

PUP and sorority noise are gonna be on watchdog 2's soundtrack and now i'm considering getting it someone help

kiguel182

It's amazing listening to The Get Up Kids and seeing how much they were copied and how ahead of their time they were. Four Minute Mile is from 97 and some of those songs seem straight out the early 00s.

ohkay

ha dude tbh i've never listened to four minute mile, but i'll check it out. i was more referring to something to write home about. that album is the shit.
Do it. I go back and forth between the two on which is my favorite get up kids album

akileese

I preordered Enter Shikari's Live at Alexandria on LP. The shipping hurt a lot (21 USD) so I bought the snapbacks that they finally got back in stock now that their tour is over. It was sold out at the Dallas show. It sounds really good.

e: So interestingly enough, the LP and the snap back went up 10 bucks...and shipping also went up like 8 dollars. I essentially saved $30 which is nice. If I had to pay $30 for shipping I definitely would have passed on both.

olympia

Few more days until I take my daughter to Joyce Manor / Hotelier / Crying. Pretty excited and super happy it is all ages.

oh hell yeah. crying is fucking awesome. their new album is highly anticipated for me

sounds like the new joyce manor is pretty good

anyone hear the new american football yet? I haven't had the chance to listen to the new preview track. impressions?

Doombear

Crying is awesome :'(

we all sad

I laughed. Don't tell anyone.

I actually hadn't heard Crying, oddly, until a few days ago when I noticed they were the other band on the ticket. I really like what I've heard. A few songs remind me of The Breeders, with more beeps and boops. That said, my daughter is going to love them the most I am sure. She is currently all about the beeps. Grimes, Halsey, Anamanaguchi (who we saw in Seattle with Hatsune Miku at her insistence), and some even more EDM heavy things like Perturbator and Carpenter Brut. The emo influence is a constant work in progress =P

I laughed. Don't tell anyone.

I actually hadn't heard Crying, oddly, until a few days ago when I noticed they were the other band on the ticket. I really like what I've heard. A few songs remind me of The Breeders, with more beeps and boops. That said, my daughter is going to love them the most I am sure. She is currently all about the beeps. Grimes, Halsey, Anamanaguchi (who we saw in Seattle with Hatsune Miku at her insistence), and some even more EDM heavy things like Perturbator and Carpenter Brut. The emo influence is a constant work in progress =P

Throw it all out and just get her into the Breeders!

Just listened to the new Joyce Manor songs. I like em.

The ones I've heard definitely have an evolved sound and production. I really liked the simplicity of their earlier stuff, but I'm sure this will grow on me once I can listen to the entire album.

kiguel182

I've been slowing getting into the new Microwave.

It's not as immediate or catch as Stovall but it does have some more interesting guitar work and melodies. Not sure if the tradeoff is good enough. I mean, it's still a really good record and maybe even better than their latest but I'm not sure I like it more.

I also haven't listened to the new Yellowcard and tomorrow is Joyce Manor release day! Let's make tomorrow Joyce Manor day. I do declare it!

olympia

new joyce is out. idk how to feel about it. it's pretty melancholy. don't expect something as hooky as never hungover again. fake ID is still the standout imo and I almost wish they didn't preview it.

Doombear

I've been slowing getting into the new Microwave.

It's not as immediate or catch as Stovall but it does have some more interesting guitar work and melodies. Not sure if the tradeoff is good enough. I mean, it's still a really good record and maybe even better than their latest but I'm not sure I like it more.

I also haven't listened to the new Yellowcard and tomorrow is Joyce Manor release day! Let's make tomorrow Joyce Manor day. I do declare it!

New Microwave has really grown on me. I really really like it, where I wasn't sure at all on the first listen.

The new Joyce Manor really surprised me. Not at all what I expected. Still super excited to see them tonight. Though I am more excited to see Hotelier...

kiguel182

Just listened to the new Joyce Manor and, on first listen, I love it. Just love it.

It sounds melancholic but their stuff always sounded like that to me. It has some more classic punk melodies than their usual stuff but then it has a song like Stairs that is unlike anything they have made.

I still need the lyrics and listen with them to get a better feeling about it but my first impression is a great one.

so I have been a pretty big hater of Dance Gavin Dance but I am really feeling their new album a lot. The only other album I have enjoyed of theirs is Acceptance Speech.

Never got the hype or anything but Mothership is a solid outing.

I gave the first few of Joyce a lil ol ear tingle.... shits gud

Also it really reminds me of a stripped down Mest, if you all remember that pop-punk band.

imBask

Banned
oh shit i'm already halfway through the new Joyce Manor and it's absolute trash what the hell. Did I misclicked the new Green Day album or something

why are they in a weird 1 good album 1 bad album cycle

akileese

Got my download code for the new Balance & Composure. It is quite excellent. True to their sound with a bit of an electronic in it. I haven't listen to it the whole way through but what I've heard I'm really enjoying.

kris.

Banned
i listened to the new sum 41 on a whim because i wanted to feel all nostalgic and stuff and booooooy its bad

this new green day isn't terrible tho

I'm really digging the new Joyce Manor album.

It's definitely a jarring listen compared to their previous albums. A lot of the catchy riffs & melodies that are punk rock staples are abandoned in favor of some experimentation with song structure. I can see why this album is very controversial as this isn't a punk album at all. It's very much a band in transition from being a punk band to... something else. In many ways mirroring the fact that they are getting older. Pretty sure they don't want to repeat the past, but still trying to grasp with what the future represents.

Oh, & "Stairs" is definitely the standout song.

I'm a little bit of both on the new Joyce Manor. I liked that simplicity so part of me wants to go back to that, but I understand this is new approach. A few songs had this rolling riff, like Thin Lizzy does. Others seemed closer to 90's alternative without the overly fussy production that it started to wade into.

"Could you see me in your life?" is a certified Emo lyric™ though. And there are still hooks here.

And here's something I thought I wouldn't say in 2016... the new NOFX is pretty solid. Also a new approach. The clever kid in-joke wordplay is here but the tone is way, way more honest. The songs shift structure liberally. Haven't seen much of that out of them outside of The Decline.

kiguel182

I don't get the Joyce Manor hate. It has more traditional Punk riffs if anything else. The Green Day comparasion isn't bad since I can see how they borrow from that at times.

I love the record so far. It's a good mix of traditional Joyce Manor with more straight forward punk rock. It's good.

imBask

Banned
the love for it is what's confusing me :lol

it's boring, generic, shitty pop punk almost made for radio. So far away from the last album which was actually great compared to the one before that

Top Bottom