• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Energy Breaker (SFC) translation release |OT| of Neverland (Lufia) SRPG goodness

Battle system has me a bit lost to be honest lol. I think I can get by without understanding it 100% but the whole element thing just confuses me. I do at least understand how to learn spells and use them though. Did I miss a tutorial or is it a bit later in the game? Just at the first boss fight after I follow
Leon

Any reports of text display issues when running on the PSP versions of SNES9x?
Specifically that the white text box 'behind' the actual text doesn't render?

You mean the speech bubbles? Never seen that before - sounds like a problem with the emulator or the emulator's settings. (I played through the game on the Mac version of SNES9x.)

Tguy said:
Battle system has me a bit lost to be honest lol. I think I can get by without understanding it 100% but the whole element thing just confuses me. I do at least understand how to learn spells and use them though. Did I miss a tutorial or is it a bit later in the game? Just at the first boss fight after I follow
Leon

Tutorials? In a SNES game? :V
Basically, the elements control two things:
- the skills you can use
- your Atp (attack power)

You do want to try and balance them a bit. If, for example, you have no points in Dark energy at all, you will really cripple yourself.

For more information, here's the formula, quoted from a Japanese guide:
[Atp=Str+equipment adjustment+energy balance adjustment]
 **Energy balance adjustment = (Light fire x Dark fire)
             + (Light wind x Dark wind)
             + (Light water x Dark water)
             + (Light earth x Dark earth)
             (rounded down to 50)
For example, if you have fire: +3/-4, wind: +4/-1, water: +5/0, earth: +7/-7:
    (3×4)+(4×1)+(5×0)+(7×7)=12+4+0+49=65
  Which exceeds 50, so the energy balance adjustment value is 50.

While I'm giving gameplay advice, I forget to mention that the Oracle Paper item makes it easier to learn skills.

Edit:

Thought I'd throw in an update on the memory corruption bug. DNQ posted some more info here (on ROMHacking.net). Turns out this was a bug that was present in the original game, and made worse by the increased size of the English dialogue.

Tutorials? In a SNES game? :V
Basically, the elements control two things:
- the skills you can use
- your Atp (attack power)

You do want to try and balance them a bit. If, for example, you have no points in Dark energy at all, you will really cripple yourself.

For more information, here's the formula, quoted from a Japanese guide:
[Atp=Str+equipment adjustment+energy balance adjustment]
 **Energy balance adjustment = (Light fire x Dark fire)
             + (Light wind x Dark wind)
             + (Light water x Dark water)
             + (Light earth x Dark earth)
             (rounded down to 50)
For example, if you have fire: +3/-4, wind: +4/-1, water: +5/0, earth: +7/-7:
    (3×4)+(4×1)+(5×0)+(7×7)=12+4+0+49=65
  Which exceeds 50, so the energy balance adjustment value is 50.

While I'm giving gameplay advice, I forget to mention that the Oracle Paper item makes it easier to learn skills.

I honestly hate using tutorials for the most part haha, but looking at the element then enemies' health bar had me a bit confused, thanks though! Really appreciate it, pretty different stuff.

An hour and a half in. Little bit of a learning curve with the way the stats and elements work and stuff, but I'm starting to get into it. I like the way techniques are learned and how the same one will be different if learned by a different character.

As promised, here's the new patch which fully corrects the memory corruption bug that can damage Lenardo's stats. It also corrects a couple of other reported minor bugs and typos.
If you hard patched your ROM, please apply it to a clean ROM. (We recommend not patching the ROM at all but rather letting your emulator do it for you if possible.)

An hour and a half in. Little bit of a learning curve with the way the stats and elements work and stuff, but I'm starting to get into it. I like the way techniques are learned and how the same one will be different if learned by a different character.

Glad to hear it! That's one detail I like as well. It makes the world feel a little bit more tight-knit and consistent in a way.

Same, closing in on two hours and now I'm starting to understand it more. I was a bit confused at Lenardo not learning a spell at first even though I had the right balance but I guess it's random.

Anyway yeah, almost 2 hours in, story is decent so far, not really much going on in terms of depth, but the translation seems pretty good and dialogue can be funny at times. Battle system is fast and fun. The balancing elements definitely plays a huge role because on the first battle of the train I had 0 balance at all and was just having a hard time defeating enemies, then I finally just decided to set it up and it made such a huge difference. I keep finding so many items and I'm running out, I need to find another item box.Music is pretty great too, I kind of wish that the music would change when you get into battle. In most cases it's fine, but first area was a bit too chill to fight to.

I've been holding off on Lufia series for the longest too, might have to give the series a shot after this.

Edit: There's so many untranslated snes rpgs, I wish were translated. I've also been interested in Glory of Heracles series, I played the DS one, my main issue with the game was the gameplay but the story actually turned out to be really decent in the end, of course it doesn't help the localization was great. It was solid tho

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
This wasn't even the only untranslated Neverland game!

Yup, there are lots of games that really need a translation. Off the top of my head:

Arabian Nights (this has been in development limbo for years)
Ys 5 (ditto, and it's the only Ys I never beat :p)
Romancing SaGa 1 and 2
Maka Maka (shite game but westerners need to see how awful this is for themselves)
Hanjuku Hero SFC

Aeana

Yup, there are lots of games that really need a translation. Off the top of my head:

Romancing SaGa 1 and 2
Maka Maka (shite game but westerners need to see how awful this is for themselves)
Hanjuku Hero SFC

Chaos Seed was the other game he was alluding to, though.

And man, nobody ever mentions Tengai Makyou Zero. For shame.

Romancing SaGa 1 and 2
Hanjuku Hero SFC

It's amazing how far we have come with translated SFC jrpgs. One game I really want translated is Moryou Senki Madara 2. I think it is one of the best SFC RPGS ever made. The soundtrack is absolutely phenomenal. Miki Higashino of Suikoden fame did some amazing stuff for this game. And the battle system is real-time and incredibly fast paced. I hear AGTP is almost done translating it, but that update was quite a while ago. Someday I hope.

Thanks Gamefan for introducing me to this gem!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Chaos Seed was the other game he was alluding to, though.

And man, nobody ever mentions Tengai Makyou Zero. For shame.

I tried playing a bit of Chaos Seed but couldn't really figure it out. Unorthodox gameplay system + kanji = gotta wait for a translation. I remember quite a few people were talking up that game back in the day.

It's amazing how far we have come with translated SFC jrpgs. One game I really want translated is Moryou Senki Madara 2. I think it is one of the best SFC RPGS ever made. The soundtrack is absolutely phenomenal. Miki Higashino of Suikoden fame did some amazing stuff for this game. And the battle system is real-time and incredibly fast paced. I hear AGTP is almost done translating it, but that update was quite a while ago. Someday I hope.

Anybody remember the poster named "madara"? He was a cool guy.

I'd love to see more translations for non-SNES systems. The PC Engine Duo is a goldmine for untranslated RPGs, as is the Saturn.

I fancy translating Last Bible 3 just to troll Megaten fans with the goofy demon designs.

So uh, I just learned about the bug that gimps Lenardo. Problem is, I'm already nearly 4 hours in and have been getting by with Myra, who is now overlevelled thanks to Lenardo dying every single battle.

Is there any way I can still apply the patch and have his stats just magically become not crappy, or does it not work that way?

So uh, I just learned about the bug that gimps Lenardo. Problem is, I'm already nearly 4 hours in and have been getting by with Myra, who is now overlevelled thanks to Lenardo dying every single battle.

Is there any way I can still apply the patch and have his stats just magically become not crappy, or does it not work that way?

First, I'm sorry to hear you ran into that bug.
Which of Lenardo's stats are broken? I can fish an action replay code out of a Japanese site for you. You can set the value to what it was before and save the game to make that the new value.

First, I'm sorry to hear you ran into that bug.
Which of Lenardo's stats are broken? I can fish an action replay code out of a Japanese site for you. You can set the value to what it was before and save the game to make that the new value.

They're all pretty bad. At level 12, it's:

Str 11
Con 8
Dex 6
Luk 3
Bal 11

I figured he was a weak old man that would leave the party soon or something, but the fact he was dying in 1 hit in nearly every battle made me realize something was wrong, and I'm punching myself for not noticing it sooner.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate it if you could do something, but don't go out of your way for it. I've lost more than 4 hours of progress in one sitting of a bunch of Megaten games, so no big if I have to restart. Thanks a lot for the offer.

They're all pretty bad. At level 12, it's:

Str 11
Con 8
Dex 6
Luk 3
Bal 11

I figured he was a weak old man that would leave the party soon or something, but the fact he was dying in 1 hit in nearly every battle made me realize something was wrong, and I'm punching myself for not noticing it sooner.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate it if you could do something, but don't go out of your way for it. I've lost more than 4 hours of progress in one sitting of a bunch of Megaten games, so no big if I have to restart. Thanks a lot for the offer.

If you're prepared to restart, you would be better off that way because the bug is caused by memory getting corrupted, and Lenardo's stats are just an obvious symptom. (It's a bug from the original Japanese version. Dialogue gets too big for memory and spills into bits of memory it shouldn't touch.)

However, I think what usually happens is that his stats (Pp, usually) get dropped to 0. It's worth noting that Myra is much more powerful, so you might actually be OK. Lenardo can actually be a bit weak.

Edit: If you're using an old patch, please do upgrade though! You'll want to apply it to a clean ROM.

If you're prepared to restart, you would be better off that way because the bug is caused by memory getting corrupted, and Lenardo's stats are just an obvious symptom. (It's a bug from the original Japanese version. Dialogue gets too big for memory and spills into bits of memory it shouldn't touch.)

However, I think what usually happens is that his stats (Pp, usually) get dropped to 0. It's worth noting that Myra is much more powerful, so you might actually be OK. Lenardo can actually be a bit weak.

Oh damn, really? Well that's good then. What really made me think something was wrong was getting Star, whose stats are MUCH better than Lenardo's despite being 1 level lower.

Also the fact I sometimes get a little OCD with RPGs when it comes to levelling the party. Seeing a level 19 Myra destroying everything next to a level 12 Lenardo getting massacred by even weak enemies isn't pretty. At least Star well help mix things up if he continues to be mostly useless.

And thanks, I'll upgrade.

Oh damn, really? Well that's good then. What really made me think something was wrong was getting Star, whose stats are MUCH better than Lenardo's despite being 1 level lower.

Also the fact I sometimes get a little OCD with RPGs when it comes to levelling the party. Seeing a level 19 Myra destroying everything next to a level 12 Lenardo getting massacred by even weak enemies isn't pretty. At least Star well help mix things up if he continues to be mostly useless.

And thanks, I'll upgrade.

Well, I'll check it out for you some time this week just to be sure. Should be easy to find out what his normal level 12 stats are.

Top Bottom