• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That art style makes me wish I was dead.

Yeah, I think the characters are a bit... weird? Creepy? Their mouths/eyes and such move when they talk as well, which adds to the creepiness. The backgrounds are lovely, though, with nice little effects like swaying plants.

Can't comment too much on the story. Looks like it takes place in the week leading up to the masquerade, and it explores why Cinder's stepmom and stepsister's are so mean to her. Kind of like Grendel or Wicked, it's just supposed to flesh out a well-known tale. Lots of choices to make. I enjoyed the demo, but I don't think I'd pay the full $20. I'd get this if it went on sale, though.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
So School Days HQ seems to be in stock and ready to be shipped now. I haven't been charged yet though. I really wish that J-List/Jast would give some advanced notice for these things. I need to go put some money on my debit card and the place I go to is closed for the day. Hope they don't attempt to charge me until tomorrow...

So School Days HQ seems to be in stock and ready to be shipped now. I haven't been charged yet though. I really wish that J-List/Jast would give some advanced notice for these things. I need to go put some money on my debit card and the place I go to is closed for the day. Hope they don't attempt to charge me until tomorrow...
Nice to know... will pick it soon.
Didnt preorder sinve there was no real need for me to

Lain

JastUSA announced to have licensed Trample on Schatten!!. I know nothing about it, but the character's art is to my liking.

I just realised that dengeki striker is out and on sales at mangagamer website ...and i don't have money left on my wallet ..
Brb, i'm going to rob a bank ask a friend to lend me money and will post impressions next week...

Just finished don't take it personally babe, it just ain't your story. It's essentially a VN so it can go here.

Enjoyed it a lot. Characters and story were largely average, but the Facebook-ish element added an extra dynamic which served to keep things interesting. The ending actually caused me to re-evaluate the subject matter it was addressing, which is a rarity in itself. Also the 12channel stuff made me olololololololol, even when it shouldn't have done.

Tempted to pick up Analogue: A Hate Story if it's on the same level. I finished Digital: A Love Story recently as well and liked it, though not as much as don't take it personally.

abusori

Just finished don't take it personally babe, it just ain't your story. It's essentially a VN so it can go here.

Enjoyed it a lot. Characters and story were largely average, but the Facebook-ish element added an extra dynamic which served to keep things interesting. The ending actually caused me to re-evaluate the subject matter it was addressing, which is a rarity in itself. Also the 12channel stuff made me olololololololol, even when it shouldn't have done.

Tempted to pick up Analogue: A Hate Story if it's on the same level. I finished Digital: A Love Story recently as well and liked it, though not as much as don't take it personally.

In my opinion Analogue is a lot better, actually. It takes the interaction a step further, sort of combining both don't take it personally babe and Digital's key parts. I thought it was pretty amazing, if a bit short for a vn. Worth the money for sure though, especially if you consider you got to enjoy her first two for free.

Was there any new news on Saya No Uta from JAST?

I checked once or twice recently, since they said something about AX for the next news, but I didn't see anything.

Was there any new news on Saya No Uta from JAST?

I checked once or twice recently, since they said something about AX for the next news, but I didn't see anything.

I didn't see anything in the AX reports, just talk of Starminegirl (a different Nitroplus project), School Days HQ, Yumina, Trample On Schatten, and other miscellaneous stuff.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Translation patch for Amagami PS2 Day 1 portion is out now:

Ni-shi-shi Translations is proud to present the Amagami first day translation patch! Instructions are included in the readme, and there are different links depending on whether you have the original or EbiKore+ version. Right now we only have the ps2 versions finished, but there should be a patch for the PSP version sometime soon.

Original:
http://www.mediafire.com/?k6ldw8s6bdpzuw1

EbiKore+:
http://www.mediafire.com/?n9d1mnm4os6q743

Remember, this only covers the first day, and there's a lot more to come after this. Questions, comments, and discussion can be had on our IRC channel, #amagamitranslation on Rizon.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I just finish Fate/Hollow Ataraxia a few days ago, it was hard to describe the experience. My game clock is almost at 37 hours, and I consider myself to be a fast reader. It is basically one big fanfic with all the Fate/Stay Night character written by Type-Moon.

It is not a sequel, more like a side story. While it doesn't add anything to the main story, it does go in deep on each character's back story. I really enjoy the part when the servants told you their history, since you only learn Saber and Aracher back-story in the original VNs.

It doesn't have much story, so not worth playing if you don't like the cast in Stay Night.

i've been charged and received the shipment confirmation this morning , now it's waiting game...

Taruranto

Meh. After the trainwreck that was Umineko i totally lost faith in R07. I'm not even sure i'm going to play it, or higanbana.

Meh. After the trainwreck that was Umineko i totally lost faith in R07. I'm not even sure i'm going to play it, or higanbana.

If it makes you more interested, reports from the demo of Rose Guns Days indicate that it's more like Baccano than Umineko, at least initially.

Taruranto

Well, i didn't have a problem with Umineko premises or setting, in fact i quite liked them.

I loved the first five episodes of Seacats, but then the (stupid) solution was revealed and the novel turned into some sort of meta circle-jerk.

The OP for Ryukishi07's latest project Rose Guns Days. Incredibly Engrish title aside, looks exciting!
Looks very cool .

Well, i didn't have a problem with Umineko premises or setting, in fact i quite liked them.

I loved the first five episodes of Seacats, but then the (stupid) solution was revealed and the novel turned into some sort of meta circle-jerk.
It turned that way because the goats ate the island mystery because they wanted to know the truth instead to letting the magic work ..

As a goat , aren't you ashamed ?

I'm not .. it was a wild ride that i enjoyed.

Ra1den

I think Chiyomaru alluded to a new "8bit" game, a few weeks ago...

Agh I hope it isn't that.

Though it does seem very early for a brand new title announcement with R;N just getting released and the anime not even starting for several months.

abusori

I dunno if anyone else was following it, but Doki's Tomoyo After translation project is scheduled to release tomorrow (July 20).

I'm pretty excited. Clannad was the first VN I ever played so it's got kinda a special place for me.

/XX/

Holy fucking shit! Naotaka Hayashi said that we can probably expect a new title announcement in 5PB's science;adventure series soon!
Do you remember the adventure game collaboration been devised between Mr. Shikura, Mr. Kojima & Mr. Suda? This one:

Hideo Kojima Working With 5pb. CEO On New Adventure Game -- Andriasang.com
http://andriasang.com/commx1/kojima_5pb_ceo/

Well, Chiyomaru Shikura himself stated they would advance on its production once ROBOTICS;NOTES was finalized:

Hideo Kojima x Suda 51 x Chiyomaru Shikura Collaboration Project Starts Now -- Andriasang.com
http://andriasang.com/con030/kojima_shikura_adventure/

So it could certainly be the next in line to be announced (I hope).

If only we had a translation for those games. :-(
Their future expansion plan has that under control, it seems:

Chiyomaru Shikura - Steins;Gate Series Ported to PS3 + English Steam Release Rumours | Unofficial Steins;Gate Wiki said:
After succeeding with Robotic Notes, the next title will be created with Kojima and be released outside Japan. The plan is to create fans for the ADV genre.

My strategy for the foreign market is to make sure that these titles get popular within Japan before releasing them overseas. After the title becomes popular in Japan, the fans overseas will surely catch on to it, which will give us confidence to release an international version.
http://ibm5100.net/steinswiki/2012/...-ported-to-ps3-english-steam-release-rumours/

A "plan of attack" also mentioned prior to that:

The Adaptability Of Visual Novels: An Interview With 5pb's Chiyomaru Shikura | Siliconera
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/04/2...els-an-interview-with-5pbs-chiyomaru-shikura/

Danj

(exciting sounding news)

While all that seems awesome, the dates on even the most recent articles you linked are several months old, is all this stuff still happening? There didn't seem to be anything mentioned about English Steins;Gate after that initial rumblings earlier this year, does anyone know if it's still going ahead or if it fizzled out?

Ra1den

I nearly forgot about that collaboration...it could very well be that. I guess I kind of assumed that project would be separate from the science;adventure line.

Metrotab

Banned
Oh wow, didn't know we had a VN thread on NeoGaf.

I've done Makoto's route in Kanon recently, now going through Shiori's. Art style was a bit weird at first, but you quickly get over it and the way the music and the winter theme sets the atmosphere is just beautiful.

/XX/

While all that seems awesome, the dates on even the most recent articles you linked are several months old, is all this stuff still happening? There didn't seem to be anything mentioned about English Steins;Gate after that initial rumblings earlier this year, does anyone know if it's still going ahead or if it fizzled out?
You are right, things could certainly have changed. Anyway, this is more or less all we have nowadays because it hasn't been disclosed much more information. We are talking about an unannounced project in pre-production until recently, positioned as an ambitious Trojan horse for foreign markets after all. I expect secretiveness at this stage of development.

I have the impression that they will take their time with this new project collaboration before announcing anything else. With what maybe is considered as a niche adventure game in other countries, but "sponsored" by a famous to many game creator like Mr. Kojima (also known for games on this genre) this is what I would call 'testing the waters', and it is why any misstep on a long term plan like this one until the project with the bigger potential on the west comes out could be difficult to handle. Mr. Shikura talks about creating audiences for this type of games, consequently creating a name for themselves, and that doesn't comes in little time when they want to be absolutely sure of their following objective.

In the case of the STEINS;GATE visual novel translation, I don't know exactly what JAST USA have negotiated with the rights holders in Japan, but things started to move on because they wanted to act opportunistically trying to secure the translation from the fan project before anything could hurt a possible future release from them, I think they were just covering all the bases in preparation.

Right now, and in my opinion, it all depends on when 5pb. & Nitroplus want to make the next step.

I nearly forgot about that collaboration...it could very well be that. I guess I kind of assumed that project would be separate from the science;adventure line.
I can't assure you anything as all I could use as evidence are rumors mentioning the involvement on this project of 5pb. GAMES SCIENCE ADVENTURE TEAM. Sorry! Maybe from the event to be celebrated in little more than one day and a half we will see some related information.

Ra1den

Also, is Chaos Head worth playing?

Yes definitely. It might take you some time to get the English patch working(it's one of the more fidgety patches out there)...but it is WELL worth it. It's got an amazing way of drawing you in and gets really creepy/mindfuckey. Make sure you play at night in the dark.

Yes definitely. It might take you some time to get the English patch working(it's one of the more fidgety patches out there)...but it is WELL worth it. It's got an amazing way of drawing you in and gets really creepy/mindfuckey. Make sure you play at night in the dark.

Yeah, make sure you have the command-line version of winzip installed before patching.

It's going to be fun finding the game, and getting the patch to work.

Taruranto

Steins;Gate, brought you by JAST in 2020.
No, seriously, judging by JAST past history you guys may as well give up on an official release.

Tutturu~

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well if you need help feel free to ask! I had to unpack packages and repack with the patches content manually to get it working on some computers so if you need the tools I can dig them up for you again and guide you through it.

Well if you need help feel free to ask! I had to unpack packages and repack with the patches content manually to get it working on some computers so if you need the tools I can dig them up for you again and guide you through it.

I appreciate the assistance. Now, my new problem is finding the patch, since the site that did it took it away because of JAST.

I wouldn't mind that if the announcement wasn't made in 2009, and it's 2012 with no sign of Chaos;Head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom