• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I end up skipping a lot of voiced dialogue in vn's simply because I'm a very fast reader and these games are often long enough when I'm reading quickly

Gazoinks

Play Steins;Gate, which has the greatest protag VA ever.

MY NAME IS... HOUOUIN KYOMA. I have no idea if i spelled that right.

I end up skipping a lot of voiced dialogue in vn's simply because I'm a very fast reader and these games are often long enough when I'm reading quickly

Yeah, I do this in pretty much all voiced games. I actually accidentally skipped through several choices in Katawa Shoujo because of my habit of clicking through scrolling text.

aravuus

Yeah, this is a big reason too. The actor has barely started the sentence and I've already read his/her line.

fertygo

So its mean, you guys clicking when playing your VN?

5M8ydTW.gif

So its mean, you guys clicking when playing your VN?

Scroll wheel or enter key is better than mouse click. But yeah, I can't stand auto-read. Too slow. I even hate when VNs have parts where they take control away from you and force auto-read, it drives me crazy.

fertygo

Scroll wheel or enter key is better than mouse click. But yeah, I can't stand auto-read. Too slow. I even hate when VNs have parts where they take control away from and force auto-read, it drives me crazy.

Fast up that shit, but yeah clicking sucked.. and fucked up your wrist muscle
n keyboard input kinda not comfortable, god bless if the VN support gamepad.. pressing "X" are so comfy than all other option.

Fast up that shit, but yeah clicking sucked.. and fucked up your wrist muscle
n keyboard input kinda not comfortable, god bless if the VN support gamepad.. pressing "X" are so comfy than all other option.

I should try using a controller, though I read VNs at my desk, so using keyboard keys isn't too bad.

aravuus

I even hate when VNs have parts where they take control away from ayou nd force auto-read, it drives me crazy.

Tell me about it, some JRPGs also suffer from sloooowwwwwllllyyyy advancing text you can't skip. Jesus Christ I hate that shit so much.

Sometimes I do wish I had a laptop at hand, reading VNs would be much more enjoyable if I could just lie on a bed and read there. Good thing I have a fantastic chair and a wireless mouse.

fertygo

I should try using a controller, though I read VNs at my desk, so using keyboards keys isn't too bad.

You can actually lean to your seat that way!

just wanted to bump this for the new page, thanks!
Because its seem no one will answer this.

From what I see, there's seem many PC VN port coming to Vita, but its obvious no publisher interested to localize those.

DanganRonpa still the only thing that gonna come in foreseeable future.

You can actually lean to your seat that way!

From what I see, there's seem many PC VN port coming to Vita, but its obvious no publisher interested to localize those.

That sucks, because it's an ideal format for this type of game imo.

Dangan Ronpa wasn't on my radar before, but I might get it just to help show publishers there's interest there.

Sitrus

Indeed. While I like the PC VNs quite a lot, reading them on the Vita is more comfortable than sitting on a desk. Wish more publishers like MangaGamer and JAST could try getting them to Vita, though I have to admit that there simply is not enough of a fanbase for that.

DanganRonpa 2 is awesome :D

fertygo

I turn sideways and lean back. It works well enough.
Seem you have nice sofa there.

Dangan Ronpa wasn't on my radar before, but I might get it just to help show publishers there's interest there.

Yeah, portable device are the best way to play VN.

I think stuff that gonna make publisher interested are thing that have a bit of mechanic, like Dangan Ronpa and Corpse Party.. I wish they can give more chance to stuff like Science Adventure Series .

I wouldn't necessarily want all VNs to have a gameplay mechanic. If retaining that means that not all games will be on portables, then I'd accept it.

What do you mean? Your wording are a bit unclear.

Most VNs that come on portables and are localized have some kind of actual gameplay rather than just dialogue and choices. While it's fine for VNs to have those, I wouldn't necessarily want all of them to include such things.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

ah, thanks. gonna pick up a physical & digital copy when that drops. need to encourage & reward the pub.

Indeed. While I like the PC VNs quite a lot, reading them on the Vita is more comfortable than sitting on a desk. Wish more publishers like MangaGamer and JAST could try getting them to Vita, though I have to admit that there simply is not enough of a fanbase for that.

DanganRonpa 2 is awesome :D

It's a niche genre on a niche handheld. I'd love to see more translated VNs on the Vita, but I don't think it's likely.

yeah, the Vita is by far the best hardware for stuff like this. PC gaming is so blah.

fertygo

Most VNs that come on portables and are localized have some kind of actual gameplay rather than just dialogue and choices. While it's fine for VNs to have those, I wouldn't necessarily want all of them to include such things.

I think no one implying we like all VN have gameplay mechanic so we more likely to see those localized.

Its just what make publisher give them a chance.

I like those game though, its basically an excuse to make low-budget game while still looking/sound solid, with all of those popular seiyuu :D

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Your statement is quite funny, considering roughly 95% of VNs are PC only, while consoles get only ports of select games.

yeah that part is obvious, i was referring to the fact that OLED/best dpad/touch screens/portable lounging beats a kb/m and desk chair all day.

Knurek

yeah that part is obvious, i was referring to the fact that OLED/best dpad/touch screens/portable lounging beats a kb/m and desk chair all day.

I'm using JoyToKey and just map Enter (usually advance text) to DPad/Face buttons and A (usually Auto-advance) to triggers for PC games. Works wonders for standard games.

I hate auto read when it randomly turns on and I'm not ready to move on. Either I'm still digesting what I was just told or posting on gaf. Regardless of what the reason is don't move on when I'm not ready game. Danganronpa was especially guilty of this during the class trials

Anime is "good" considering the episode count it had to deal with. I liked the art and the new themes. Tho of course it only works well as a little bonus to the VN. As a standalone story the whole thing is a mess just because it ends halfway thru not to mention again the very short time it had to show a ton of stuff.

Anime is "good" considering the episode count it had to deal with. I liked the art and the new themes. Tho of course it only works well as a little bonus to the VN. As a standalone story the whole thing is a mess just because it ends halfway thru not to mention again the very short time it had to show a ton of stuff.

So it's kind of like the Danganronpa anime, then.

So, Battler has just cemented himself as the my favorite VN main character.

The scene in the 2nd Episode where he confronts Beatrice about the locked room was amazing. I had a huge grin when his line of reasoning synced up with mine.

Also, dang it Kanon,
stop dying in the most badass ways possible, you're making everyone else look bad xD

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Just thought I'd bump to mention that Extra Credits on PATV did another installment of the "Games you might not have tried," series themed on scary/creepy/disturbing games.

Toward the end, Song of Saya (Saya no Uta) was one of the games listed. :3

creid

Try Tears 9 10, Planeterian, Steins Gate, Kira Kira, Higurashi and 999 when it comes out (Play the DS version if you can).

Tears 9,10 was a surprise for me, try it if you can.
Is Planetarian the only one that has English in its iOS version?

VN is another genre that makes waaaaay too much sense for iOS and we never see any. Free to download chapter 1 then pay a few dollars for each additional chapter or like 20 for the whole story

2nd Episode of Umineko [Done]

Impressions:

Characters

Battler is still the greatest VN protagonist I've come across,
even though his "giving up" at the end of the episode made me lose a bit of respect I had for him. I expected him to endure and to not let Beatrice see him sweat.

Kanon = badass. Period.

Shannon & Genji also showed me some skills, so I like them much more than I initially did.

Maria and her "uu-uu" can still go burn somewhere.

Beatrice. When it comes to her, I can't think of a time when I hated an antagonist this much, I just want to see her lose. So evil and vindictive. Soo good.

Everyone else has yet to give me a real reason to like them

Story

George & Shannon's tale was alright, but it dragged on much longer than it had to. Once we got past that and things started moving, it was very enjoyable. I especially liked seeing
Rosa take charge of the group, even if it did end up making her completely paranoid.Battler outwitting Beatrice on the first locked room murder made me want to stand up and cheer. Hated how she completely changed the game when she started refraining from answering questions. Such a dick move.

The "???" for this episode was awesome! When Berkastel said "~niipa"

post-26056-Antonio-Banderas-computer-reac-cWjn.gif

Music

Still great. The music that plays when someone suspects someone is especially good. I like how it starts out all whimsical, but ends up being this dramatic sounding thrill-ride type melody. Love it.

I plan on starting Episode 3 soon. Napalm, you better not be over-hyping it xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom