• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West |OT| I Die, You Die.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Warm Machine said:
On Chapter 6 right now. Sure the control and camera are not as smooth as they could be but the game besides that is pretty damn cool. Even the Unreal Engine is working pretty well in Ninja Theory's hands.

Came here to post I just arrived at Chapter 6 and I'm shelving this game for a while. I made the grave error of picking "Hard" difficulty, which I've been fine with so far, but Ch. 6 features what seems like a never-ending gang-rape of mechs at one point that I simply can't beat, despite trying at least 10 times in a row.

The fucking camera in this game is one of the worst ever at the best of times, but during combat I can't make Monkey do anything I want him to. I'd have to say this game has the worst combat mechanics of any game I've ever played.

I'll fire it up again someday down the road and play it on a lower difficulty. Just too frustrating to continue with for now, and I don't feel like restarting immediately.

Shame, I really like the story.

fernoca

Jusr finished it and quickly started a new game on Hard with Ninja Monkey. :D
Amazing ride, great game, incredible visuals, story was nice; the ending was bitter-sweet but cool.

Jumping on to Castlevania now and when I finish it I'll continue this game on Hard. Only missing some of the Staff upgrades to get them all.

No problems with framerate, glitches, camera. (Xbox 360 version)

'DmC' is in good hands if it's at least half as good as this one. :)

see5harp

Enjoyed the experience overall but there were some issues with camera, control, framerate and bugs. Probably could have used a little polish on the combat.

fernoca

Ninja Monkey looks so awesome.
Too bad you can only use one "DLC costume" at the same time; so can't combine Ninja Monkey with Sexy Robot Trip.

fernoca

I liked everything equally.
The first chapters had more focus on platforming than action, then a few with more action that platforming and the last ones had a good combination of both; with stronger enemies and platforming with added difficulty.

Diseased Yak said:
Came here to post I just arrived at Chapter 6 and I'm shelving this game for a while. I made the grave error of picking "Hard" difficulty, which I've been fine with so far, but Ch. 6 features what seems like a never-ending gang-rape of mechs at one point that I simply can't beat, despite trying at least 10 times in a row.

The fucking camera in this game is one of the worst ever at the best of times, but during combat I can't make Monkey do anything I want him to. I'd have to say this game has the worst combat mechanics of any game I've ever played.

I'll fire it up again someday down the road and play it on a lower difficulty. Just too frustrating to continue with for now, and I don't feel like restarting immediately.

You can drop the difficulty and carry on from where you are.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ok, so I got to the second half and enjoying it much more, although the first half had its moments. The second half feels more varied. Also
Pigsy

I like that combat has become pretty strategic. I had problems with mechs gangs, but then I upgraded my stun and plasma charges and it opened up a bit.

Cloud is awesome. I was waiting for a decent hoverboard in games for a long time.

Also has anybody beaten the
Dog
without stun charges?

leng jai said:
Sounds like this game goes to shit in the second half. Probably wait for the price drop.

The gameplay itself amps up with a few puzzles, obstacles in platforming, and bigger/longer combat. The writing/conversations are also more entertaining/interesting. The framerate just takes more dips. I found the second half more fun to play.

subversus said:
Ok, so I got to the second half and enjoying it much more, although the first half had its moments. The second half feels more varied. Also
Pigsy

I like that combat has become pretty strategic. I had problems with mechs gangs, but then I upgraded my stun and plasma charges and it opened up a bit.

Cloud is awesome. I was waiting for a decent hoverboard in games for a long time.

Also has anybody beaten the
Dog
without stun charges?

The cloud is so cool and fun to use. It's very loose but hey; it's a fucking hoverboard. That was a nice change of pace; I loved using that thing.

Nope, stun all the way. I'd imagine it would be very difficult without.

see5harp

I actually enjoyed the combat for what it was, but they really could have included a few more combos. I think going to the slower paced combat made it really frustrating on hard because of both the camera and the non cancellable strong attack that took forever to launch. The bosses, while memorable in appearance, all seemed to be the same thing. I literally just used the stun blast, weak weak weak, strong combo over and over until the end.

I actually liked the second half too. Even though the platforming was easy and didn't really require any sort of skill, it was still better than the combat sequences.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
The Friendly Monster said:
You can drop the difficulty and carry on from where you are.

What, really? Man I looked in the options during play and didn't see it. I'm assuming you change it before continuing your save, at the main menu? I'll have to do this. Thanks.

Amir0x

Banned
luxarific said:
We're screwed if it's even as "good" as Enslaved.

yeah seriously. Devil May Cry is about combat. Enslaved had some of the worst action combat I've played this gen. Just a gargantuan mess.

I hope they know what the fuck they got into. Enslaved is messy as fuck. This framerate won't be fucking acceptable for Devil May Cry. Seriously just amazingly terrible in the second half of the game. You'd have to be motherfucking blind to not at least notice it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
First time I've hopped into the thread in a while. While the world is beautiful and the voice acting fantastic, the actual game is pretty bad. Auto-platforming, dull, dull, dull combat and the weak level setups really have killed any desire I had of finishing the game. I'm actually disappointed in how this turned out.

Peff

leng jai said:
Well I should clarify that I meant it sounds like the framerate tanks in the second half.

The setting changes too. It goes from the lush devastated world of the first half to more standard UE3 environments (I did like the tower of garbage in chapter 10 though). It's also when the game really comes together in terms of having more complex platforming sequences and enemy patterns so it depends on what you like the better. The framerate takes a big hit, however.

the last 3 chapters were probably the worst of the entire game. last chapter takes an absolute nose-dive in terms of overall fun/quality.

if DmC is anything like this game it will be a complete and utter disaster.

Crayon

The issue is with gameplay. You could say dmc4 is a little dated in the gameplay mechanics but it's tight, fast and accurate. Ninja Theory have not shown that they can produce that.

Korigama

jonnybryce said:
I don't think they're going to take a heavy action fighting game and make it like their heavy story adventure game guys.

Even though everything they've focused on in respect to DmC up until now has been for the sake of discussing what they want to do with characters and story, all while admitting they haven't decided what to do about the actual combat yet? I could always dig up that "story > gameplay" quote of theirs as well.

eznark

Banned
I just finished it. Absolutely loved it. I thought the last chapter was easily the best in the game and one of the better cappers on a game in a while.

fernoca

I had no problems with the framerate and I'm not motherfucking blind; then again had no problems of any kind. :p

Maybe is the Xbox, maybe I was lucky, who knows. One of my friends did have problems with glitches like Trips hair covering the entire screen and stages not loading so he couldn't continue playing. Another never had any problems. None in my side and we all played the 360 version.

And the DmC comment I made is about overall quality and production values (which varies since for some people this is the worst game ever made). But considering that the Devil May Cry series has never been known for amazing visuals, facial animations, great textures,good story; just for fast gameplay and rock music; it will be a nice change for once to have a game that combines both; if they do it right of course.

Even the friend of mine; who if possible, would father Dante's babies (since he even has statues that he has hand painted of him) was impressed by the DmC trailer and loved Enslaved; so he's more excited now. :lol

heringer

Finished yesterday. I enjoyed the ride, but everything about the game is just so shallow.

Great characters carried the experience, but it lacks a more fleshed out backstory. Also,
Pigsy sacrifice felt really forced. Shame, because I think he could be developed to be a great character if a sequel is planned.

Also, I remember some people here saying that this game is way better than Lords of Shadow in the framerate department. Yeah, it's not. The game might have a higher average framerate, but the drops in the second half are downright atrocious.

Erasus

fernoca said:
I had no problems with the framerate and I'm not motherfucking blind; then again had no problems of any kind. :p

You have just gotten used to the low framerate. Go play DMC4, CoD4 or a game with high framerate, then load up a game with bad framerate. Or just load up quakelive and the check.

You will notice.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
A few hours into it and I'm liking it. Looks great, awesome voice acting and etc. I'm a bit annoyed at this bullshit collecting of red orbs though. They're everywhere and add nothing but tediousness. Anytime you drop down a level you can bet your ass that you're gonna find a few of them a few steps behind. All they do is spoil the atmosphere and the game would be better off with fewer orbs that give more experience.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Erasus said:
You have just gotten used to the low framerate. Go play DMC4, CoD4 or a game with high framerate, then load up a game with bad framerate. Or just load up quakelive and the check.

yes, the framerate is the only major drawback to me (well and wonky combat camera too).

IronRinn

Diseased Yak said:

This is where it really falls apart on hard and from this point on I really started dreading combat situations. Later there's an even more frustrating part involving defending some...things. The camera and combat in general just aren't up to the task.

That said, going back through it on Easy and looking for orbs with a fully upgraded Monkey is a joy.

derFeef said:
Does is get MUCH harder after chapter 9 on hard? I had my problems with some areas (continues mech onslaught) :/

I really had no problem with the difficulty at all on my first run in difficult. Only the first boss was a pain because he was killing me in two moves but that's it. Basic grunts, shielded grunts and flash grunts where no big deal. If you have ammo, just go for it.

Watching the credits roll. Wicked last level for certain. I really appreciate the characters and cinematics. Full blown cine's were great the little ones here and there were really rough though. Too bad about the frame rate, animation blending, and camera issues. Lots of little glitches here and there.

I recommend an install to the hdd btw. Makes the engine not stream textures as much.

What I didn't like...
NEVER, EVER, EVER, use real photos or video for anything other than textures. Its breaks style and visual consistency and made me question the reality of the game experience. You cannot tell me that the character artists on the game couldn't have gone the extra mile to build one last character for the ending. That, and the photos seen throughout should have had a better replacement. I'd have rather seen visions of the pyramid instead.

After you escape the city and when you complete the village level the game takes a 2 or 3 chapter dive only to pick back up at the end. That dip was really hard to play through and maintain interest.

Overall, a 7/10 for the end product. Sad because it could have been a 9 with more art support in the spoilered area and more attention to camera, tech, locomotion with collisions, and animation blending.

Still...very happy I played through it and enjoyed the majority of it.

Reading a bit through the thread I find it incredible that the stun charge move hasn't been used by many people. It is my go-to starter attack to thin the pack out. You need it to effectively break shields at close range anyway.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Warm Machine said:
Reading a bit through the thread I find it incredible that the stun charge move hasn't been used by many people. It is my go-to starter attack to thin the pack out. You need it to effectively break shields at close range anyway.

same here dont see how i could get through battles without it

Amir0x

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
So from what I gather, this game kind of hand-holds, but Hard is super frustrating later on? Will just play Normal then.

Hard is ridiculously easy throughout. Enslaved is super easy.

I think there's only one battle in the game that is even a little difficult, and that's probably the Battle at the Windmill... and only if you fail to stop the guy from calling backup. And only because the combat sucks balls along with the camera during combat.

Amir0x said:
Hard is ridiculously easy throughout. Enslaved is super easy.

I think there's only one battle in the game that is even a little difficult, and that's probably the Battle at the Windmill... and only if you fail to stop the guy from calling backup. And only because the combat sucks balls along with the camera during combat.

Come on, the combat doesn't suck balls. It is very limited and at most you will be surrounded by 4 enemies. The hit detection and blocking works really well as does the control in combat circumstances. Even when the camera doesn't have my enemy on screen (which is frequent later in the game) I still mentally know where he is and the game knows in what direction to attack.

I don't think I ever did a focus attack though and if I did I wouldn't know the diff.

I totally agree about the windmill battle being harder but the easier way to do that one is have them come to you and later run your way through the village to pick up the health.

Amir0x

Banned
Warm Machine said:
Come on, the combat doesn't suck balls. It is very limited and at most you will be surrounded by 4 enemies. The hit detection and blocking works really well as does the control in combat circumstances. Even when the camera doesn't have my enemy on screen (which is frequent later in the game) I still mentally know where he is and the game knows in what direction to attack.

I don't think I ever did a focus attack though and if I did I wouldn't know the diff.

I totally agree about the windmill battle being harder but the easier way to do that one is have them come to you and later run your way through the village to pick up the health.

I think it's genuinely the worst combat system I've experienced in an action game all gen.

It's unresponsive, tipping the analog stick even a little sends Monkey careening about in the most ridiculous directions - almost always at a mech I don't want to hit. The targeting is bonkers. Many times the hit detection is off. There's a total of two combos you'll be repeating for the entire game, and enemies stay the same for 80% of the game only changing to add a shield to the mix later on. Everything about the combat system is balls. I cannot imagine how they could have made it worse. Maybe if Monkey came through the screen and tossed flaming spikes at my testicles while I played it?

The game is easy. The battle of the windmill is only a little more difficult because of the game's funky ass combat and camera.

fernoca

Love the alt-costumes. Though haven't tried 'Sexy Robot Trip' yet.
Use 'Ninja Monkey' for chapters and bosses since it gives you infinite ammo for the staff (stun, shoot, shoot, stun,...). and use 'Classic Monkey' for chapters with many close mechs; since it damages more; plus have nearly all the upgrades so destroy everything in a matter of nothing. :D

ezekial45

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Combat is so fucking bad. Goddamn. It's so damn boring.

It's not super deep, but it gets the job done. I particularly like the quick cinematic shots during finishers. To be honest, that makes it for me.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ezekial45 said:
It's not super deep, but it gets the job done. I particularly like the quick cinematic shots during finishers. To be honest, that makes it for me.
it's like you are trying to get amirox to go nuts

Top Bottom