• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West |OT| I Die, You Die.

I finished Enslaved. Mediocre. Heavenly Sword was superior in every way. 3/5.
The combat is horrible. Whenever I got to a fighting sequences, I was in pain. So, the last third of the game wanted me to end myself yet I endured...somehow.
People saying how great the story is needs to be slap in the face. Heavenly Sword did a far better job when it came to its characters and even its over-arching story.
Can anyone tell me why people are in love with this game?

luffeN

I just love this game. And I really can't tell, Attackthebase, but it is very enjoyable to play. I am up to Chapter 5 and just
was surfing around with the cloud and the music at that point was pretty nice
. It has a nice pace imo and the fights aren't half that bad. Of course it's shallow but I don't see it as a Bayonetta or DMC or whatever. Character interaction between the two is cool, sometimes the tension is great for example when you
are in the big theater with the dog on the other side of the wall
. Gonna have to search for the soundtrack now!

Kolgar

Y2Kev said:
Finished chapter 10. How many hours left?

Two or three?

I dunno, I'm pretty sure it took me eight or nine hours to complete my first playthrough. But I don't see a timer on the game anywhere so I don't know for sure.

Just started playthrough number two with Sexy Robot Trip. :lol

dwebo

Attackthebase said:
I finished Enslaved. Mediocre. Heavenly Sword was superior in every way. 3/5.
The combat is horrible. Whenever I got to a fighting sequences, I was in pain. So, the last third of the game wanted me to end myself yet I endured...somehow.
People saying how great the story is needs to be slap in the face. Heavenly Sword did a far better job when it came to its characters and even its over-arching story.
Can anyone tell me why people are in love with this game?
... Did we even play the same two games? I just rented Heavenly Sword last week, and it was probably the worst game I've played this gen. Enslaved didn't have terrible bosses, terrible QTEs, terrible VA, terrible cannon/shooting sections, terrible sixaxis controls, etc. etc.

HS did have more extras (unlockable artwork, making-of videos woohoo), and as far as replayability, I prefer a per-level combat grading system to collecting orbs, but that's about it.

For those who played both Castlevania and this, does castlevania (ps3) really have worse framerate than enslaved? Because I usually don't care much for these things (spending most of my kid years as a poor member of the master race made my brain develop a frame smoothing circuit), but it really is pretty bad in this game. and it's funny because i played both demos but i felt that enslaved was much worse, but it seems most people seem to think LoS is worse (or am I crazy?)

Other htan that, I am liking the game so far. it's very early though. I think I would buy anything with serkis in it, i dunno, the guy is great at what he does.

Y2KEV said:
Just played chapter 6 and then puked all over my room. terrible.

Weren't you one of those who thought Heavenly sword was pretty good?
i actually think i prefer the gameplay of heavenly sword was decent if of course flawed. Enslaved feels much more 'on rails' so far.

dwebo

harriet the spy said:
For those who played both Castlevania and this, does castlevania (ps3) really have worse framerate than enslaved? Because I usually don't care much for these things (spending most of my kid years as a poor member of the master race made my brain develop a frame smoothing circuit), but it really is pretty bad in this game. and it's funny because i played both demos but i felt that enslaved was much worse, but it seems most people seem to think LoS is worse (or am I crazy?)
Hmm, I've played both on PS3 and that's a tough comparison. When the framerate dips in Enslaved, it really dips. One of the boss fights around the midpoint of the game had a few slideshow moments for me, which I never saw in Castlevania, and the last level is consistently sluggish. I think the average FPS in LoS might be lower(?), but its IQ is aided greatly by the fact that there's no screen tearing. My brain's got a similar frame smoothing circuit, though, so both games were perfectly playable.

heringer said:
Oh please.
I'm a big fan of Anna Torv in Fringe. I didn't like her in Heavenly Sword. Shen would occasionally break into a Scottish accent. Kai was just annoying. All the bosses had bad VA, especially that Fox guy, who was laughably bad (he also had the most lines). Serkis was okay, but he's better in Enslaved. Enslaved only had three voiced roles, but each was better than anything in HS.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
harriet the spy said:

Other htan that, I am liking the game so far. it's very early though. I think I would buy anything with serkis in it, i dunno, the guy is great at what he does.

Weren't you one of those who thought Heavenly sword was pretty good?
i actually think i prefer the gameplay of heavenly sword was decent if of course flawed. Enslaved feels much more 'on rails' so far.
Yeah! I liked heavenly sword. It's a good game marred by awful technical problems, sadly.

heringer

harriet the spy said:

Castlevania has a lower average, but at least it manages to keep it steady. Motion blur also helps. If you think it's fine judging by the demo, you're good to go.

Enslaved, on the other hand... well, the first half is okay, but the second half of the game have some huge drops.

Enslaved is worse in my opinion.

I didn't get that sense at all. If anything
I would say it more directly rips off The Matrix. Nobody was dreaming, it was all a simulation brought on by one guy.

Amir0x

Banned
Phaethon0017 said:
I would say it more directly rips off The Matrix. Nobody was dreaming, it was all a simulation brought on by one guy.

That's what I got.

It's a
Reverse Matrix

The
mechs have destroyed humanity, last of the humans are living out in small communities. Only in this one instead of mechs enslaving human minds for the purpose of using their bodies for energy, it's another human enslaving the human minds for the purpose of protecting them from the horrors in the real world. In other words, they're not trying to jack out... they're trying to JACK IN!

Seriously the story was terrible :lol

Phaethon0017 said:

The "dream" in X isn't a literal dream, it was an illusion brought on by a summoner. The only difference is that magic is involved.

Amir0x said:
Seriously the story was terrible :lol

Despite the plot twist, one of Pyramid's lines is what annoyed me most about the ending.

"You don't have schools; you have mechs." :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Fimbulvetr said:
The "dream" in X isn't a literal dream, it was an illusion brought on by a summoner. The only difference is that magic is involved.
Yeah I don't really care about the actual mechanics. It's the combination of
memories
that triggers my reference instead of what the other guy was thinking of, but really who gives a shit

I was baited on this game by dark10x. I want my money back, thief.

Amir0x

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Despite the plot twist, one of Pyramid's lines is what annoyed me most about the ending.

really after looking at the Enslaved timeline i didn't realize the game was a tree hugging liberals eco nightmare fantasy come true. now i can kinda see.

I still want to know why this guy was
controlling all these fucking mechs. If he had all this power, and they had Leviathan, why not just fucking take back Earth and start building again. With the lush greenery and vegetation everywhere, it's certainly ready.

the story is just...wow. jesus. this is why game stories are always considered bad

jett

D-Member
Y2Kev said:
Yeah I don't really care about the actual mechanics. It's the combination of
memories
that triggers my reference instead of what the other guy was thinking of, but really who gives a shit

I was baited on this game by dark10x. I want my money back, thief.

:lol I spoiled myself, good thing I didn't spend a dime on this game.

The ride was a lot better than where it ended up. And now that I think about it
if he was controlling all the mechs...WTF? Wasn't he the one that was ruining the world making his dream a necessity?

Amir0x

Banned
ezekial45 said:
Well, it was only a matter of time before the haters flooded in.

hey when you entered i didn't say 'here comes the low standard apologists flooding in'

but on second thought maybe i should have.

Fimbulvetr said:

yeah, I lost it at that line.
The way he says it is like he's speaking to someone whose brain melted, which was probably their goal.
The story is total crap and I dig those kinds of endings (Bionic Commando and FEAR 2 represent) but that isn't really the draw. It is the character interactions and the adventure that makes it entertaining. It's actually pretty damn good as far as video games go. There was a point when I thought about how Prince of Persia 2008 tried to do something similar, but Enslaved pretty much annihilates that game.

I will admit that playing Castlevania right before this may have set the bar low as far as story and characters go. For example, characters in Enslaved don't speak as if they need to get all the words out their mouth to avoid thinking about how dull the lines were. Then again, the ending of Enslaved
more or less does the exact opposite. I couldn't tell if Andy Serkis was just depressed about reading those lines or that was just part of the character.

Amir0x

Banned
TheChillyAcademic said:
Having fun?

I always have fun. Even when a game disappoints me, i enjoy the threads that i can participate in about them. No matter what i always get my moneys worth in that regard!

But man Enslaved... it really had a nice start to it. I had some positive feelings there.

Someone said it best earlier, like POP 2008 it was the character interactions and voice work that made the game interesting. I dunno if it was necessarily a "good" game, but I enjoyed it. The ending I wasn't expecting but it gave me pause a moment...I wouldn't mind a sequel.

fernoca

Currently alternating between Ninja Monkey and Classic Monkey. :D
Like "this stage requires to shoot a lot, wait a sec" quit the game and change to Ninja Monkey (infinite ammo)

"Hmm, lots of mechs"; quit, change to Classic Monkey (more staff damage).
I'm even letting the Mechs call back-up, multiple times just to get more orbs (only need 60k more to have every upgrade). :lol :lol

Razgreez

I'm only on chapter 4 but so far this game has been all about wonky controls, poor graphics, bad camera angles and boring combat. From what i've been reading here it doesnt get any better so i'm wondering if i should continue. In general 8/10 appears to be the new 5/10 if this game, and many others these days, is anything to go buy. So glad i'm lending it from a friend and didnt buy it myself

fernoca said:
Currently alternating between Ninja Monkey and Classic Monkey. :D
Like "this stage requires to shoot a lot, wait a sec" quit the game and change to Ninja Monkey (infinite ammo)

"Hmm, lots of mechs"; quit, change to Classic Monkey (more staff damage).
I'm even letting the Mechs call back-up, multiple times just to get more orbs (only need 60k more to have every upgrade). :lol :lol

Ninja Monkey? Classic Monkey?

am I missing something here? are those preorder bonuses?

fernoca

Linkzg said:
Ninja Monkey? Classic Monkey?

am I missing something here? are those preorder bonuses?
Yep;well kinda. There were 3.
All aternate costumes can only be used after finishing the game and you can only use one. Also seem to be actual DLC and not unlock keys, as each download varies from 6MB to 11MB.

Sexy Robot Trip is avaible in Best Buy (inside ever copy of the first shipment)
A hybrid that is both visually and functionally stunning. Double the duration of all stun moves in the game including Monkey's stun staff blasts and melee stun charge attacks, as well as Trip's own EMP blasts.
2ia9ate.jpg

[Download size: 11MB]

Classic Monkey is available in Wal-Mart (inside ever copy of the first shipment)
Adorned with a striking red and gold ensemble pays homage to the game's classic Chinese novel influence. This traditional variant also channels the fearsom warrrior-spirit into Monkey's melee damage, allowing him to strike with double the power.
209m0ic.jpg

[Download size: 8MB]

Ninja Monkey was from Gamestop (preorder bonus, printed on the receipt)
Deadly ebony-clad "Ninja Monkey" has access to unlimited amounts of otherwise rare stun and plasma staff ammo. Turn this "Ninja" into a bona fide assassin again his enemies.
nfigrm.jpg

[Download size: 6MB]

Got all 3, but haven't used Trip yet. Since you can only use one at a time. It would've been cool if you could mix alt-Monkey with alt-Trip.

GeoramA

Those outfits are pretty sweet. Unlocking them in the game would have been nice.

Finally beat this tonight. Giving it a solid 8/10. So much better than Heavenly Sword and I'm buying the sequel day 1, if they make it of course.

Need more Serkis!

dwebo said:
... Did we even play the same two games? I just rented Heavenly Sword last week, and it was probably the worst game I've played this gen. Enslaved didn't have terrible bosses, terrible QTEs, terrible VA, terrible cannon/shooting sections, terrible sixaxis controls, etc. etc.

HS did have more extras (unlockable artwork, making-of videos woohoo), and as far as replayability, I prefer a per-level combat grading system to collecting orbs, but that's about it.

The QTEs in Heavenly Sword is a like it or hate it feature; I'm in the former group. The voice-acting for it was fantastic. I'll agree with you the sixaxis controls were awful, which is why I turned it off. :lol I enjoyed the "terrible cannon/shooting sections."

I had a deeper attachment with the characters. I finished Heavenly Sword three times; I barely finished Enslaved, and I never want to touch the game again.

Enslaved had some AWFUL boss fights!
The dog fights were abysmal. Stun it and beat it, rinse and repeat. I also felt bored during the rhino and final boss encounters.

To give Enslaved some credits. I enjoy the first third of the game. It felt special and reminded me of why I adore Ninja Theory. After the sixth chapter, I was ready to put the game down and never come back to it. I understand Y2Kev's pain. Awful, pure awfulness.

Yet, I rented it and wanted to finish it before I sent it back to Gamefly. CastleVania: LOS is next on my list and the little I have played it was disappointing.

fernoca

Kolgar said:
To each his own and all that, but if you don't like the game, then why waste time in this thread?
"Discussion" and "being open mind" and all that; I guess. :p

Though there's not much to discuss, when what little is discussed usually, is like..

So, I liked Enslaved..lol WTF? You have no taste the game sucks.

I liked the visuals and had no problems of framerate...WTFLOL really? You must be motherfuckin blind and naive. Juts means you don't know anything about framerate or quality, but that's okay. Low standards and everything.

The game was fun, because..WAT? Really? Auto-platforming, dumb combat mechanics; yeah if you enjoy not doing anything, that explains it.

The story is nice, I...lol really? If by nice you mean SHIT; yeah I agree.

And so on.
So one either accepts it and moves on, or enages into never ending quote-battles until one side grows tired. :p

Heck, I got beaten to death because I said that "DmC is in good hands"; after playing Enslaved. :lol :lol

I'm all for actual discussion, but when there is no discussion aside people just quoting my opinion and shred them to pieces and post reasons as to why my opinion is wrong and they don't agree with it, it just ends in nothing.

It just seems as if most of the "discussion" is focused on what the game isn't, instead of what the game is. Then again, I'll just be quoted and replied with "Yeah, the game IS a piece of shit". :lol

stupei

fernoca said:
snip

I'm all for actual discussion, but when there is no discussion aside people just quoting my opinion and shred them to pieces and post reasons as to why my opinion is wrong and they don't agree with it, it just ends in nothing.

It just seems as if most of the "discussion" is focused on what the game isn't, instead of what the game is. Then again, I'll just be quoted and replied with "Yeah, the game IS a piece of shit". :lol

The thing is that the framerate is bad. That's not an opinion, that's fact. Whether or not framerate problems in combat oriented gameplay is something you notice or something that bothers you is available for discussion, but whether or not the framerate remains solid or dips low isn't something that's relative or objective, it's something that can be quantified.

You can offer reasons you enjoyed Enslaved or why you don't care about the problems it has with its framerate, but every time you say that the problems with its framerate aren't there, that kind of stalls the conversation. Because it's simply not true.

"I don't need a solid 30fps" or "the dips in the framerate didn't affect my experience with the game" are things you could say that would be potentially true. "The framerate doesn't have problems" is not unless you just mean "because I don't care that it isn't solid." Which should probably be clarified, if so.

But like you said, you'd like to focus on what the game does well; so then you probably shouldn't keep referencing its framerate.

Top Bottom