• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Files Anti-Trust Lawsuit Against Google and Samsung

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Four years after Epic sued Google for running an illegal app store monopoly — a case it won this past December — Epic is suing again. The Fortnite game developer has filed a second antitrust lawsuit against Google, and now additionally Samsung, accusing them of illegally conspiring to undermine third-party app stores.

The lawsuit revolves around Samsung’s “Auto Blocker” feature, which now comes turned-on-by-default on new Samsung phones. While it’s turned on, it automatically keeps users from installing apps unless they come from “authorized sources” — namely, Google and Samsung’s app stores. Epic claims there’s no process for any rival store to become “authorized.”

But a month before it could launch its own store, Epic alleges, Samsung suddenly decided to make Auto Blocker more or less on-by-default — making it harder for new phone buyers to install competing apps themselves.

Epic claims it now requires “an exceptionally onerous 21-step process” to download a third-party app store onto a Samsung phone, making it that much more likely users will give up somewhere along the way.

Last edited:
I am so tired of this. EPIC create your own phone and ecosystem. These companies develop the phone and OSes and put up all the cost. Why would they promote something that will not make them money. If people don't like something they won't buy it or move on to something else.

Literally no one can compete with iOS and Android at this point.

That mobile OS market calcified over a decade ago.

Guilty_AI

3m64e3.png

winjer

Gold Member
I thought Android does that already.

Android blocks, but asks if we want to continue installation. If we say yes, it will unblock and install apps from other sources.
There are several sites that have mirrors of android apps. And usually they have all the older versions. So if an update breaks an app we are using, we can just uninstall it and install the older version that worked best.

KellyNole

Literally no one can compete with iOS and Android at this point.

That mobile OS market calcified over a decade ago.

Then maybe that is what the people wanted. It's like OSes, TV's, Browsers, or Video game consoles. Once there was many makers and creators of these devices, now there are a few.

Last edited:
Then maybe that is what the people wanted. It's like Windows or Video game consoles. Once there was many, now there are a few.

Yep

iOS vs Android
Windows vs Mac
PlayStation vs Nintendo
Coca-Cola vs Pepsi
Visa vs Mastercard
Marvel vs DC
Airbus vs Boeing
Walmart vs Target

Every industry and market seems to have decades long duoplolies controlling things.

Cars seem to be a major exception where there are many healthy competitors, but this seems rare.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I don't know why Google in the lawsuit, but it certainly a dick move from Samsung
It’s not a move to exclude Epic, but rather the issue is that basically all these 3rd party stores host a whole bunch of malware infested apps that nobody checks.

Google Play ain’t amazing in that regard but at least it’s getting better. And iOS has been better than Google if not perfect.

So by allowing 3rd party stores as trusted, Samsung could potentially be sued in return if there were issues with these stores and in general Samsung has been pitching most secure Android hardware for a while with Knox.

So blocking unverified 3rd party stores by default seems reasonable from that aspect. As long as they allow users to unblock it should have been sufficient.

Last edited:

Felessan

So blocking unverified 3rd party stores by default seems reasonable from that aspect. As long as they allow users to unblock it should have been sufficient.
In 21 steps process?
It's for sure is a thing to block other stores but Google (that they can't get rid of) and their own by vastly overcomplicating process. Because, you know, they too love money and want a cut.

My android phone checks apps for malware, show big red notification about untrustworthy source and require to actually enter account password to proceed installation. But it all done on the installation screen and can be passed through in like 15 seconds, making it convenient for users.

StereoVsn

In 21 steps process?
It's for sure is a thing to block other stores but Google (that they can't get rid of) and their own by vastly overcomplicating process. Because, you know, they too love money and want a cut.

My android phone checks apps for malware, show big red notification about untrustworthy source and require to actually enter account password to proceed installation. But it all done on the installation screen and can be passed through in like 15 seconds, making it convenient for users.
IMO, some friction is good in this case because majority of users will just click through.

However if it is 21 step process than yeah, it’s a bit lol worthy.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I am so tired of this. EPIC create your own phone and ecosystem. These companies develop the phone and OSes and put up all the cost. Why would they promote something that will not make them money. If people don't like something they won't buy it or move on to something else.
Hey Walmart, Costco and Home Depot! Would you mind promoting our website so customers can buy direct from us instead of going through your store?

Thanks,

(Said no manufacturer in the world)

proandrad

The resentment over 3rd party pc store exclusives killed whatever shot epic game store had. They should blame themselves over not adjusting quickly when they pissed off potential customers.

Reactions: GHG

Goalus

Yes, why doesn't Microsoft charge Valve a 30% cut of every Steam sale on a Windows machine?

Mistake

Easier said than done. These businesses get exclusive contracts with parts manufacturers, basically stating the parts can only be sold to them. So not only does it make it impossible to fix your stuff, it stifles any competition from making a similar product

BlackTron

Top Bottom