• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epson sucks. Don't buy Epson printers. (advice needed on other brands)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

I just bought an Epson AIO printer on sale. Seemed like a good price and I need a printer.

After reading the manual, I learned that if ANY color runs out, you cannot do anything with the printer until it is replaced. So, let's say I primarily use black ink, but yellow also goes out for some reason. I can't even print black text until I buy a yellow replacement cartridge. :lol The whole printer basically locks up. Also, you have to leave the printer on 24/7 to save ink. Every time you turn it on, it uses a bunch.

I really like the printer, but wow, that is such a rip off. Looks like I will be taking this thing back. I hope they accept the return since I opened it. :\

I absolutely hate HP printers (their drivers suck and I hate the way they look)... how good are some of the Canon AIO's around $80? Do their drivers work with XP x64?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Oh jesus christ I hate Epson.

Actually, the only printers that I don't hate are the huge Xerox office printers since they're usually fast and working. Then again the ink cartridges cost more than a kidney.. I have a Canon MP370 or something at home, and it seems to be working fine. The ink is always a rip-off though, no matter what printer you go for.

Canon is a brand I'd probably choose when getting a new printer.

Diablos

Yeah, ink is a rip off, but most printers do not force you to buy new ink even if you don't need it by denying you access to your own printer.

I can't believe this shit.

miyuru

I have a Samsung CLP-300 (color laser) and it works flawlessly. Printing-wise, it prints everything bolder than it should but you don't notice it unless you really compare it side by side to the same text printed on another printer.

...so maybe look into Samsung AIOs I guess?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Diablos said:
Yeah, ink is a rip off, but most printers do not force you to buy new ink even if you don't need it by denying you access to your own printer.

I can't believe this shit.

Yeah I never had that really, except when printing on a CMYK printer. You know, one with a cartridge for each of the 4 colors. I think Canon uses one cartridge for color and one for black by default?

Diablos

I dunno, but I find it amazing that they actually lock up the whole printer until you get a new cartridge even if you don't need it.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
We have one platform printer here at work, that prints on like, wood, paper, fabric etc. It uses ink from bottles that you gotta manually fill up, and if you don't use it in a while the ink will dry into the tubes and it'll get blocked. Good thing these guys make reasonable purchases, since they didnt first use it for 6 months, and it dried up. Now, after the 4000 eur repair bill, they forgot to give the printer stuff to do again. Bye bye another 4000 :lol

We could do a maintenance thing to it by ourselves, but the printer has in fact locked up because it's "out of ink" even though the bottles are full.. You'd need to reset some ink calculator with some shitty electronic tool that these guys have lost as well. New tool has been ordered from Denmark but only god knows how long that'll take :lol

Lesson learned? I don't think so. I bet they'll break the machine again when I leave this place in under a month.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Diablos said:
I dunno, but I find it amazing that they actually lock up the whole printer until you get a new cartridge even if you don't need it.

Seems something wrong with that?
Are you sure there is no way around that? I kept hearing Epson are the best for printers.

Epson printers do suck ass.

We had one around 15 years ago and it was quite a trooper - it finally died out after around 10 years of use. I liked that one.

We bought a second one - one of the big multitask machines - and it is the worst printer I have ever used in my life. It takes a lifetime for the thing to power up. When if finally does power up, it takes a good 30 seconds after pushing the print button for the document to start printing. Out of fuchsia ink or some shit like that? I hope you don't want to print in black and white because it won't let you. Trying to save money by buying off-brand ink cartridges? Hopefully, you don't mind sifting through annoying pop ups telling you that you are a cheap bastard for buying non-Epson cartridges.

Anyways, I bought an HP Laser Jet 1020 about a year ago and it has been great. I think the model number has since changed, but it was one of the entry level HP laserjets.

Luthair

miyuru said:
I have a Samsung CLP-300 (color laser) and it works flawlessly. Printing-wise, it prints everything bolder than it should but you don't notice it unless you really compare it side by side to the same text printed on another printer.

...so maybe look into Samsung AIOs I guess?

I have a samsung ML-1630 and I love it! Very quiet and nice looking, but only does BW.

eso76

Yeah, that and if you don't switch it on and print something every other day, ink will become dry on the 'head' (?) and you'll have to do a lot of cleaning to get decent prints.
Leave it unused for a couple weeks and you can basically throw the printer away, at least this was the case with all models until a few years ago, when i stopped buying Epsons.

I like the quality (then again, if you have to print pictures, there are MUCH cheaper and better options than doing it yourself, now) but i'm not buying an Epson again, ever.
I'd say Canon or HP are good alternatives.

And what's with all the models being produced now ? back in the day there were like 4-5 models for each brand, ranging from basic to deluxe and that was it. I believe Epson alone has nothing short of 35 different models in production right now.

Diablos said:
I just bought an Epson AIO printer on sale. Seemed like a good price and I need a printer.

After reading the manual, I learned that if ANY color runs out, you cannot do anything with the printer until it is replaced. So, let's say I primarily use black ink, but yellow also goes out for some reason. I can't even print black text until I buy a yellow replacement cartridge. :lol The whole printer basically locks up. Also, you have to leave the printer on 24/7 to save ink. Every time you turn it on, it uses a bunch.

I really like the printer, but wow, that is such a rip off. Looks like I will be taking this thing back. I hope they accept the return since I opened it. :\

I absolutely hate HP printers (their drivers suck and I hate the way they look)... how good are some of the Canon AIO's around $80? Do their drivers work with XP x64?

My HP AIO is the same way. :(

I just print shit at work. It's not worth the hassle of making sure the printer is clean and stocked full of fuck expensive ink.

I used to fuck with Epson, but their printers always insist on cleaning themselves (which is a HUGE waste of ink) every time you turn it on.

Xavien

Do. Not. Buy. HP.

I know from experience, i had several HP official ink cartridges fuck up for no reason, turned out theres a little chip in the cartridge and the printer was burning it early (fuckers), so i had to download a 3rd party firmware solution to stop the printer from killing my ink cartridges while they were 1/2 full.

You also can't use the HP all-in-ones, at all, if any ink cartridge either runs out or the printer decides your cartridge sucks.

Their drivers are full of such bloat-ware its unbelievable and their "lite" drivers don't allow you to flash the firmware.

Plus the Official HP Inks cost more than any other maker. I will not be buying a HP printer ever again.

Shame about Epsons :( they used to be so good.

Diablos

eso76 said:
Yeah, that and if you don't switch it on and print something every other day, ink will become dry on the 'head' (?) and you'll have to do a lot of cleaning to get decent prints.
Leave it unused for a couple weeks and you can basically throw the printer away, at least this was the case with all models until a few years ago, when i stopped buying Epsons.

I like the quality (then again, if you have to print pictures, there are MUCH cheaper and better options than doing it yourself, now) but i'm not buying an Epson again, ever.
I'd say Canon or HP are good alternatives.

And what's with all the models being produced now ? back in the day there were like 4-5 models for each brand, ranging from basic to deluxe and that was it. I believe Epson alone has nothing short of 35 different models in production right now.
That really sucks. I do not print THAT often. So even if I just leave it on, in a couple weeks my levels will be low? That's ridiculous...

If I can't take it back, seems like the generic cartridge manufactures have figured out a way to bypass Epson's check. I'll just use those. I don't care if it ruins the printer, I don't want to use this thing very long if I am forced to keep it (since I opened and used it).

aoi tsuki

It's common for printers with individual cartridges to refuse to print when one of the cartridges is out. It's also common for many machines to consume ink when they're first turned on as they perform their self test.

Epson makes great machines, but for the SOHO crowd i'd recommend Canon most as a brand, particularly for their inkjet machines. Most have a four or five-cartridge system, as well as a replaceable printhead. Most Epson's are better for their wide format printers, IMO, which are tops.

Off the top of my head, the Canon MP210 is a decent model that's probably around $80 or less with a rebate. There's the MX310 if you want a fax and automatic document feeder that'll probably run about $50 more. Most of the sub $100 Canon AIOs use a two-cartridge system, are pretty much workhorses, and'll deliver a pretty low cost per print compared to other machines in their class.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=116

Most should run on XP x64, but you can check for yourself at the site above.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
I like Epson industrial printers, I have a Stylus Color 3000 which is a nice printer (grabbed off of ebay for $160/w shipping). At work we have a couple of stylus color 3000s (the reason I bought mine), an a Stylus Pro 7600 (8 ink cartridges @ $110 apiece).

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
I like Epson printers. If you were only ever printing black it would use such a minute amount of ink each time that I think it would never be an issue for you. I would just keep it. It's a small price to pay for ease of use and quality in every other regard.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
pjberri said:
I like Epson printers. If you were only ever printing black it would use such a minute amount of ink each time that I think it would never be an issue for you. I would just keep it. It's a small price to pay for ease of use and quality in every other regard.

Because other printers don't do quality stuff and are a hell to use..?

carlos

pjberri said:

I think that's the problem the OP has with epson; it happened to me recently;

My black ink ran out (I was going to print black text only) so I go out and buy a 40 dollar black cartridge and install it; turns out the entire printer is locked up and unusable because the yellow cartridge had run out as well!

What kinda bullcrap is that? I ended up wasting those $40 :mad:

Since then, I've hated ALL printers; I came in here to see any reccomendations, but I've tried Lexmark, HP and Epson and been dissapointed every time. It's basically cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy the ink cartridges when they run out...

I end up going to the local officemax if I need to print something important, and that's a pain as well...

aoi tsuki

carlos said:
It's basically cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy the ink cartridges when they run out...
With the exception of some of the lower end machines that use multiple cartridges, this is typically not the case. But lower end (<$100) machines aren't typically made to last more than a couple of years or be cheap to buy ink for.

DarkJC

Ask yourself if you really need color, and if the answer is no, seriously consider a laser. Much less of a headache. (Or you could go color laser but those are expensive as shit and I have no idea how good at color they are)

Terrell

Brother printers, while not having attractive designs, are from a brand known for making industrial-grade products, and have generally the most favorable user reviews of any printer brand I've seen.

RevDM

Banned
had a canon, it crapped out on me

had a epson, it crapped out on me

had a dell, it crapped out on me

have an HP, I'm still using the same ink cartridge as 1 year ago, and going strong!

Diablos

Nikashi said:
Epson allows 3rd party ink, and refills, under their warranty, so just get it refilled.
I was under the impression that their carts have chips that "lock" and basically ignore a refill.

Who does refills anyway?

Leonsito

There is a "Epson Service Utility" app that let you "hack" the ink chipset and put the values you want, making the printer think that there is still ink or avoiding the "please refill the blue cartridge" even when you only want black impressions.

Diablos

Leonsito said:
There is a "Epson Service Utility" app that let you "hack" the ink chipset and put the values you want, making the printer think that there is still ink or avoiding the "please refill the blue cartridge" even when you only want black impressions.
Doesn't work with my printer (CX9400F).

big_z

i have an epson printer and to fix the ink bullshit all you do is press the button to replace the cart, pull it out a bit then put it back in. it fools the printer into thinking it's a new cart. as far as i can tell epson printers have no idea how much ink is remaining. the epson software is estimating when to tell the printer to replace the ink.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
MoxManiac said:
Lexmark is still bottom tier in terms of printers. God, such worthless junk.

Good God do they suck. Avoid at all costs

Diablos

big_z said:
i have an epson printer and to fix the ink bullshit all you do is press the button to replace the cart, pull it out a bit then put it back in. it fools the printer into thinking it's a new cart. as far as i can tell epson printers have no idea how much ink is remaining. the epson software is estimating when to tell the printer to replace the ink.
What is your model and how long ago did you buy it? That REALLY works?

I reallllly don't want to waste time returning this and trying to track down another clearance printer (they're practically all gone since the end of back to school shopping is over and they've been bought).

It's too bad that hacking utility doesn't support my printer.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Diablos said:

Yes, we had this EXACT issue recently with an Epson C88. All I wanted was to print text, but we could not figure out a way to force the printer to work without all the color cartridges working. Printer is second hand from my father inlaw, so I'm not complaining too much, but what a pain.

big_z

Diablos said:
What is your model and how long ago did you buy it? That REALLY works?

I reallllly don't want to waste time returning this and trying to track down another clearance printer (they're practically all gone since the end of back to school shopping is over and they've been bought).

It's too bad that hacking utility doesn't support my printer.

it's about 6 years old. i can't remember the model off hand but trust me it does work.
i figured it out years ago when the pos wouldnt let me print a resume because it was out of color ink.

if some one with an epson printer that is bitching for an ink change wants to verify be my guess.

there is one downside though. since the software is calculating the remaining ink from the time you fake the refill cart, by the time you actually replace the cart it might think the new cart is partially empty.

bionic77

Diablos said:

That is pretty typical of a lot of ink jet printers, it isn't just Epson.

If you don't need color I would highly recommend a Brother ink jet model. I bought the HL-2040N about a year ago and it has performed like a champ. I bought it because of the great user reviews and the cheap price of toner compared to HP and Samsung. The toner seems to last forever and per page it is a lot cheaper than an ink jet. I bought the printer for $99 and I think they have newer versions now that may be better than the 2040N.

You can also get color laser printers, but I don't really have a lot of experience with them so I can't really recommend one.

Zapages

I owned:

1 Epson - died after a 2 years of work
1 Lexmark - died after a few years.
1 HP - awesome printer lasted me a about 4 years.
1 HP - it stopped working after a couple days
Another HP and that has been awesome so far... :)

I have a Lexmark Z65 here at work and I can't even figure out how to put new toner cartridges in it.

I coulda sworn I did it before though...

lil smoke

Banned
Using Epson 7600 at work. Can't say it sucks, works fine for the last 4-5 years now. Quality is hit or miss for certain things, but that's with any inkjet.

The guys downstairs have 7800. Works fine. We're talking real world work here. Printing all day everyday full size 24x30 print outs.

The Epson at home has always worked fine as well.

I can't co-sign the OP statement.

carlos said:
I think that's the problem the OP has with epson; it happened to me recently;

My black ink ran out (I was going to print black text only) so I go out and buy a 40 dollar black cartridge and install it; turns out the entire printer is locked up and unusable because the yellow cartridge had run out as well!

What kinda bullcrap is that? I ended up wasting those $40 :mad:

Since then, I've hated ALL printers; I came in here to see any reccomendations, but I've tried Lexmark, HP and Epson and been dissapointed every time. It's basically cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy the ink cartridges when they run out...

I end up going to the local officemax if I need to print something important, and that's a pain as well...

Don't buy original cartridges. The third party replacements for my C84 are 2,50€ each, so I can get a full printer for 10€. I used to brag about the "you need all 4 cartridges"-thing, but those third party ones are great.

Diablos

Satan Claus said:
Don't buy original cartridges. The third party replacements for my C84 are 2,50€ each, so I can get a full printer for 10€. I used to brag about the "you need all 4 cartridges"-thing, but those third party ones are great.
Don't those generic cartridges royally fuck your printer, though?

If not, ebay has tons of them... but my printer is so thorough in checking to see if I'm using genuine ink with every install that I wonder if it'll even work.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
RumpledForeskin said:
All consumer level inkjet printers are scams.

Get a b/w laser printer, it will last you a looooong time.

This is biblical truth.

Most folks only need to print black and white. You'll buy a toner cartridge, and it will last you over a year. Yes, it will cost you almost $100 bucks. You'll put it in, and you'll forget about it.

I have an HP Laserjet 1200. I got it two years ago, used. I STILL haven't had to change the toner cartridge, yet.

CAVEAT: The downside to laser printers? Power. They suck down power. If you're not using it, turn it off. Seriously.

TomServo

RobotChant said:
My HP AIO is the same way. :(

My HP AIO is actually a tank. I'm a shocked as anyone. The software that comes with it is total garbage and a huge resource hog, but since I moved it over onto a wireless print server that has its own print and scan software it's turned into a really nice piece of equipment.

Had the damn thing for like five years now. It's actually pretty easy on ink, and the black cartridges are only like $15. Color me amazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom