• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epson sucks. Don't buy Epson printers. (advice needed on other brands)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistake

This makes me wonder, has anyone actually hacked a printer to make it better? I heard of people doing it to tractors

Patrick S.

Banned
This makes me wonder, has anyone actually hacked a printer to make it better? I heard of people doing it to tractors

I've heard of replacement firmwares for printers that do stuff like circumventing DRM. It's a saddening thing people have to do this, really.

giga

I print super rarely, so every time I really need to print something, my ink had dried and I had to spend a lot of money for new HP cartridges, because my HP AIO always has problems with off brand ones, like telling me the heads need to be aligned, but no matter how often I aligned them, the error never goes away.

Now I said fuck this and bought a used Samsung laser printer from 2011 that still has a half full toner, and I even got an off brand, full 2500 page toner along with it. I got it for €25 off eBay classifieds, and the guy still has three more after he had closed his business and is selling them now. I'm so damn happy with my purchase that I might even get another one of them in case mine breaks. Another €25 would give me another printer and another full replacement toner, can't beat that.

I remember people always recommended Brother laser printers, but I heard they have toner DRM now, too?
Plenty of third party brother toner on Amazon.

I use brother no problems after 6 months..had a hp that had to weird shit too to bypass low ink/out of paper bs...it's like the printer liwed being tortured

Poeton

A few years ago I had it with ink jet printers and I bought a Brother B&W laser printer. I've replaced the toner exactly once and the damn thing is still going strong. Unless you have a real need to print color I would suggest a B&W laser printer.

snap

Banned
It's normal for printers to refuse to print if only one color runs out of ink.

It has something to do with the printer's "fingerprint", the small marks indecipherable to the naked eye that it makes on the page as a way of showing what printer printed that page.

Koren

Never buy AIO printers. The printer will always die before the scanner.
I don't totally agree... While it's true that the printer will die first (and will probably lock the scanner), having quick copy, better network integration, less space needed is handy.

Replacing both when the printer die isn't that a big hassle when it works 10-15 years.

In my understanding:
It's common for CMYK printers to lock you out because the "K" black is technically not true black (as from RGB + Black) and requires some CMY ink for the black the computer wants.
While true, what is the explanation when the printer has TWO kind of blacks, one being designed for text and B&W documents?

(Though as I said, "using" a dry cartridge will make the head overheating, and destroy it, or the head will clutter if not used, and destroy it all the same... so I'd say requiring all ink to be available is probably just a safety feature. For the same reason, I at the very least plug my printer once a week, even if I don't need it.)

It has something to do with the printer's "fingerprint", the small marks indecipherable to the naked eye that it makes on the page as a way of showing what printer printed that page.
That's interesting, and I think you're right. May not be the only reason, but it's most probably one of them.

Patrick S.

Banned
The models that wirecutter recommends are still sold and have third party cartridges.

Aha, ok. At any rate, at a price of around €60 for an original toner, that will last the regular home user years, running costs are reasonable even with original toner cartridges.

My Samsung has seen office use and is six years old, and works as when new. I'll definitely get a new Samsung down the road if I don't buy another one of these used units.

Patrick S.

Banned
It's normal for printers to refuse to print if only one color runs out of ink.

Why is that a thing? Did printer makers come up with this, or is it some kind of crime prosecution requirement?

mackattk

Do you really need color? I mean REALLY? sure it is nice, but I have never actually needed it. If I ever need to print out actual photos, Walgreens/Staples is right down the street.

Get a cheap laser Brother AIO, like a 2280dw.

Koren

Color lasers are hella affordable now, especially in the long run because ink is the most overpriced shit in the world - one of the most expensive liquids people buy in their normal lives at $13/oz (more than fine champagne).

Also they do photos great IF you get photo paper and use the special loading tray.
Will look into it (just did so, at first glance, it's still awful compared to inkjets, and I'm even more worried by the fact that the user reviews are almost unanimously awful for the color laser brother that is said to be one of the best, especially about reliability)

Yep, that's also my experience. Go for that Brother printer!

I have a Brother 5340D (laser, monochrome) from several years ago that's still kicking. It's a great printer.

So true. Never ever buy an inkjet for any reason

If you're going to print photos or art for display, a good inkjet is the way to go. They have a much better color range and reproduction. But for general purpose or most work use cases, a color laser printer is good enough, cheaper per print, and faster.

Tobor

Serious question: What are you guys printing? Is it work related?

I haven't had a printer in the house for over almost 10 years now, and it's never been a problem.

You don't even have to print return labels for Amazon anymore.

giga

I haven't had a printer in the house for over almost 10 years now, and it's never been a problem.

Usually, yes.

LordAmused

Notes for films, technical guides and stuff are always useful on set/in the studio. I have a basic Laser HP p1102w, it's been going strong for years now and with toner at 15$ CAD a piece, it's a bargain.

Koren

Mostly work for me, indeed. Especially since I can't print in color at work, unless doing a specific request (and that huge professional laser copier at work do a worse job than my 8-years-old printer, anyway... though I guess it's mostly because of high use).

Though being able to quickly copy a document in everyday life is sometimes handy.

Patrick S.

Banned

I'm looking for a job, and while I can send most of my resumes per email, some businesses expect a physical copy. Since I bought the printer, I printed out two resumes, a dozen or so pages of flight schedules and boarding passes, a few things the employment agency needed, and a bank loan contract I had to send a signed copy of. I might not need to print more than 20-30 pages per year, but when I do, I want to be able to it right then and now and don't want to go to some copy shop.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
For black and white, Brother laser is an honest product. Prints in good detail and you change the toner around the thousands of pages rating it estimates.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

Tickets to events, self created recipe books, various bills and legal responses. Once you're in a house there are tons of things that still only work in mailed responses and payments by check.

xrnzaaas

I always recommend Brother printers. Cheap as hell and also reliable, my b&w laser printer is working flawlessy for about 6-7 years now.

Zips

When mine started refusing to print because a colour ran out I was able to find out you could hold the cancel button for a while to actually disable that cartridge check. It printed again after that.

Then it ran out of the smaller black cartridge (it has two, one big and one small), and would spit out blank or messed up pages despite still having ink in the large cartridge. Apparently it only uses the large cartridge for special print types. So now I set everything as an 8.5" by 11" photo to get it going.

...my next printer will be a laser one...

Thankfully it's rare that I really need to print and can't do it at work.

Orbis

I had to print sooo much shit recently when selling my apartment. And scan too.

Tips from working at Staples:

Canon has the best image quality, but the worst... everything else. Especially ink. Motherfuckers suck it up like nobody's business.

HP is sort of a middle of the road deal where they're not GOOD at anything but they're also not awful.

Epsom has some really shitty models but they also have some refillable ink tank ones. They're expensive to buy but the refills are WAY cheaper.

Brother is like HP, but cheaper for the same quality.

If you have the room, buy a "business" model. That's where the best efficiencies are, and if you aren't doing photo printing you don't need the image quality.

Don't even LOOK at the color laserjets. They look like a good value and then you see the toner prices and realize you're paying upwards of 300 bucks for a full refill. BW laserjets are alright, though.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I think I need to upgrade to a laser printer, my ink situation with my HP is getting totally ridiculous.

Fugu

I have had the same printer for eleven years. I've had to replace the cartridge once.

1. Buy a laser printer.
2. Spend a bit of extra money upfront.

My printer was $150 and the cartridges are $50 but it doesn't do any of this shit. I can't print color but I basically never need to.

Koren

Canon has the best image quality, but the worst... everything else. Especially ink. Motherfuckers suck it up like nobody's business.
I'd agree it's not cheap when you look at ink, but that's basically the only con I see (except the fact that I find stupid that you can't use the scanner if the printer has issues)

Don't even LOOK at the color laserjets.
Choosing a printer is still as hard as choosing a TV set, I see...

mackattk

Tips from working at Staples:

HP is sort of a middle of the road deal where they're not GOOD at anything but they're also not awful.

Epsom has some really shitty models but they also have some refillable ink tank ones. They're expensive to buy but the refills are WAY cheaper.

Brother is like HP, but cheaper for the same quality.

If you have the room, buy a "business" model. That's where the best efficiencies are, and if you aren't doing photo printing you don't need the image quality.

Don't even LOOK at the color laserjets. They look like a good value and then you see the toner prices and realize you're paying upwards of 300 bucks for a full refill. BW laserjets are alright, though.

Nothing wrong with color laserjets. Full refills are expensive sure.. but the toner doesn't dry up like ink does and a full refill will likely last for years.

Redd

I just go with a black and white laser printer. On the very rare occasion I need color prints for pictures or whatever I just go to the store up the street.

Various things for kid projects.

My wife leads a Girl Scout troop, so she needs to print things for the meetings sometimes.

Tickets and coupons to various things

Documents relating to property or other things that need to be filled out.

Return labels and documents relating to the return for places other than Amazon

There are still plenty of scenarios where it's handy to have a printer.

AdanVC

This thread reminds me of how awful is to work with printers in general. All techy devices seems to evolve except printers. They keep being as awful and complex to work as they were 15 years ago.

I recently realized I needed a printer.

Because every inkjet or laser printer I've ever used in my life has been a piece of crap, I decided to buy a thermal printer. No idea if it will actually be better, but it has worked for the last three days at least, lol.

Diablos

Sorry for the nearly ten year necro but I've just fallen victim to this epson scam of not being able to print a black and white document if a colour is out.

I'm really pissed.

Any recommendations for non scummy manufacturers of printers who don't cripple your printer?
This thread bump makes me feel elderly.

I feel your pain. That Epson printer to this date is one of the worst tech purchases I ever made; so glad I was able to return it.

For what it's worth, I still use the Canon MP240. It has obviously lasted a long time. I'm not sure if it's even sold anymore, but it does what I need (I use it sparingly though).

andthebeatgoeson

Fuck those guys. Used Costco to refill the ink and it stopped working properly.

Now we have a laser jet and hopefully will be done with some problems.

zer0das

Banned
I got pissed off at my HP inkjet 2-3 years ago and got a Canon MF3010. Only does black and white, but that's essentially all I need. Haven't even gone through the first cartridge yet and printed tons of pages. Haven't had any problems.

I'd have to drop 30-40 bucks nearly every time I wanted to print on my HP printer. Inkjets are a scam.

Ambient80

Ask yourself if you really need color, and if the answer is no, seriously consider a laser. Much less of a headache. (Or you could go color laser but those are expensive as shit and I have no idea how good at color they are)

I did this a few years back. “How often do I ever print anything in color?” and the answer was maybe once every six months, if that. Bought a B&W laser printer and been happy ever since.

Daffy Duck

This thread bump makes me feel elderly.

I feel your pain. That Epson printer to this date is one of the worst tech purchases I ever made; so glad I was able to return it.

For what it's worth, I still use the Canon MP240. It has obviously lasted a long time. I'm not sure if it's even sold anymore, but it does what I need (I use it sparingly though).

Haha, sorry about that.

I was in a right mood earlier and if I'd have bought this printer (gf did) I'd have chucked it there and then but she stopped me, it's so anti consumer I'm amazed they are allowed to do it.

another vote of confidence for brother laser printers here, we have 2 in the office mfc 8710dw and the other dcpl something. we have been using aftermarket toners just fine, you have to do some trick to reset the counter warning everytime you put one in but it is easy

i wanna buy an Epson EcoTank printer though, in one of the branches i work they have one and it works wonders too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom