• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epson sucks. Don't buy Epson printers. (advice needed on other brands)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
smh @ Diablos

My Epson RX600 has been alive and kicking for 4 years now. I got a shit load of ink so running out isn't a problem. HP printers are ass.

Tek

I actually manage a account at HP and watch over Laserjets and Servers.

I think our best Laserjet out there is the 4000 series, the 4000 or 4050s are built to last. Too bad they went End of Service Life...

Any of our lower end Laserjets are great too, 1200 series, 1300 series...

We were using an HP 4P + that we bought in 1990 up until about two years ago.

Yes, 15 years of service out of a laser HP printer. Those thigns used to be beasts.

oatmeal

Banned
I just ordered the Brother MFC-465CN Color Inkjet Multi-Function Center from Costco...

It has awesome reviews and is only 69.99 until Sunday.

Online only...ORDER NOW!

Diablos

So, I took it back and picked up the Canon MP240 for $70 instead.

This printer is great, probably the best I've ever used for home. It's faster, the quality is much better, it's not picky when it comes to ink, it supports DUPLEXING (awesome!), and it even looks cool.

Tobor

I very rarely print anything at all anymore. The majority of my printing the last five years was receipts for web purchases and Mapquest maps. I don't need to print either anymore.

The last thing I printed was a parking pass for the Nationals game I went to a couple of months ago. I wasn't sure the printer would even work. :lol

Flo_Evans

lil smoke said:
Using Epson 7600 at work. Can't say it sucks, works fine for the last 4-5 years now. Quality is hit or miss for certain things, but that's with any inkjet.

The guys downstairs have 7800. Works fine. We're talking real world work here. Printing all day everyday full size 24x30 print outs.

The Epson at home has always worked fine as well.

I can't co-sign the OP statement.

Yeah I love my 9600 pro. 44" of jaw dropping awesome.

2lutc7q.jpg

I think their commercial printers are built a tad bit better then the $100 consumer models though. :lol

vitaflo

I usually hate HP but the 2600n color laser printer is the bomb. Fully network ready, has FULL CMYK cartridges (many printers when shipped do not), and while it does have a lame limitation on stopping printing when any one cartridge has 2000 pages on it (regardless of how full any of the others are) you can easily turn this off in the settings. Oh and it's about $300. Super cheap for color laser.

Result, I've got about 3200 pages printed with it and the cartridges are still going strong. And I can replace each color individually.

The only drawback is that it is not good at photo printing (I mean it is laser afterall), but I go to the photo lab for that anyway.

Mashing

I've bought two HP printers in a span of 15 years. I have a HP DJ 600C which STILL works without missing a beat and a 972Cxi which I've had no problems with either. I've seen HP's fail at work a lot (certain models, while others are rock solid), so I'm a proponent of HP printers. There 4000 series of LaserJets are pretty reliable from what I've seen. Their "personal lasers" not so much.

I HATE, HATE, HATE epson and canon. Backwards ass printers those are. Lexmark is cheap shit, and I'd never buy one.

bionic77

mr jones said:
This is biblical truth.

Most folks only need to print black and white. You'll buy a toner cartridge, and it will last you over a year. Yes, it will cost you almost $100 bucks. You'll put it in, and you'll forget about it.

I have an HP Laserjet 1200. I got it two years ago, used. I STILL haven't had to change the toner cartridge, yet.

CAVEAT: The downside to laser printers? Power. They suck down power. If you're not using it, turn it off. Seriously.
That is why I originally went with the Brother HL-2040N. Their toner seemed markedly cheaper than HP and Samsung's.

I think I got something ridiculous like 2000+ pages out of the first toner cartridge before I had to change it. New one was like 50 bucks online. Whereas for inkjets they never seemed to last as many pages as advertised.

ghibli99

Weird... I swear by Epson's large(r) format printers like the 3800/4800/etc., and bought one after Canon let me down way too many times w/ their consumer-level printers.

That is insane about that AIO, though... wow.

Chris R

Brother... Kid you not, they make a KILLER office desktop printer. Only printer I will be buying for myself from now on.

Brother printers seperate their toner and drum, so when you do end up needing the drum, you might as well buy a new printer. That's why their toner is a slightly cheaper.

Zyzyxxz

I really like Samsung laser printers. Though my older ML 1700 for some reason performs better than my newer ML 2010 series

Tarazet

This thread got me to buy a Samsung SCX-4500 laser printer/copier/scanner. If anyone's interested, Fry's has them for $200, then there's a $100 mail-in rebate. Runs through 9/30.

rhfb said:
Brother... Kid you not, they make a KILLER office desktop printer. Only printer I will be buying for myself from now on.

I second this.

I've had my Brother laser for -- holy shit -- almost 10 years now and it's still going like a champ. Fast as hell to boot. In that timespan, I only used two toner cartridges (I'm on the third one now).

Daffy Duck

Sorry for the nearly ten year necro but I've just fallen victim to this epson scam of not being able to print a black and white document if a colour is out.

I'm really pissed.

Any recommendations for non scummy manufacturers of printers who don't cripple your printer?

Mato

My Canon printer/scanner wouldn't even let me scan if the one of the ink cartridges was empty. It just bricked. So now I own a monochrome laser printer and have vowed to never in my life touch anything Canon, EVER. If a company is willing to put immediate profit so much ahead of customer satisfaction they deserve total abandonment and destruction.

Apt101

I worked for Canon for a time. High level support , including engineering things like Novel and 'nix support. Many HP printers are essentially rebranded Canons. Their toner cartridges are fabricated in Canon factories. Epson basically just tries to reverse engineer Canon printers. All other printer manufacturers pay license fees for Canon intellectual property, regarding everything from how bubblejet printers work at just about every level, to how laser printer components work.

If you really need a printer for some reason, may as well shell out the extra money for a Canon.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
OP just buy cheap off-brand cartridges in bulk and you'll have enough supply to last you longer than the printer itself.

Condom

Pretty sure that is standard for printers with multiple color cartridges. You also have them from other brands. The benefit is that you can refill the individual colors.

If you want a inktjet without those kind of limitations then you can buy one with those classic color+black printers.

gcubed

I have an Epson AIO I bought for $45 new about 7 years ago that is still going strong. I buy ink from ldproducts.com as I've had very little issue with their replacement cartridges so I don't even try other brands.

MCN

Banned
It amazes me that while computers have got exponentially better over the past 25-30 years, printers are still fucking awful.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I've had Epson, Lexmark and HP. Out of those 3, HP is the less bad, the other two unusable. I've never seen an Epson printer working as intended a year after bought, I've never seen one working two years after.

My last one was a Brother MFC, 5 years and still going strong, GREAT brand, cheap, ink doesn't use chips, so when I installed the refillable ones, it just works. Fast, quiet, WiFi, etc.

Amazing printer, go Brother.

I have a continuous ink system on a cheap-ish multifunction Brother printer which is great cost-effectiveness wise. Their tanks are huge and aren't a pain in the ass to top up. I use original ink as the ink price isn't as outrageous as individual ink cartridges. I leave it turned on all the time which is great for wifi printing convenience plus it activates the self-cleaning system which is a must for all inkjet printers so the ink doesn't dry up on the printhead.

However, I can't recommend it if you're really looking for quality. The print output is usually washed out and the built-in scanner scans the most horrendous colored scans I've ever seen. Build quality seems poor too. If my printer ever breaks down I'm replacing it with a comparable Epson continuous ink system printer. It's just a bit more expensive than the Brother.

Go color laser. All the ink printers are so awful. Ink is awful.

I really like my Brother; I think they really thought things through with it, especially for the price.

I've had Epson, Lexmark and HP. Out of those 3, HP is the less bad, the other two unusable. I've never seen an Epson printer working as intended a year after bought, I've never seen one working two years after.

My last one was a Brother MFC, 5 years and still going strong, GREAT brand, cheap, ink doesn't use chips, so when I installed the refillable ones, it just works. Fast, quiet, WiFi, etc.

Amazing printer, go Brother.
Brothers (or at least some of them) have those nice front-loading ink cartridges too. Not sure how that's not a thing that's caught on. Every other printer it's like 5 steps to get to the ink.

Koren

Yeah, ink is a rip off, but most printers do not force you to buy new ink even if you don't need it by denying you access to your own printer.
Well, they may not, but it's a sure way to destroy the printing head (even if you print in black & white and it's a color ink that is missing). I destroyed one myself on a Canon because of this... and replacing a print head is hard.

So, it could simply be a safety measure...

I find the fact that Canon printers refuse to *scan* when the print head is defective FAR MORE annoying (still, it's a semi-pro Canon, and it's 8 years old and perfectly fine).

And it's old, but I found Epson repair services wonderful... My printer broke, I called them:
- they sent someone the next day to take the printer away, asking for the hour I would like, and were there at the exact time
- they repaired the printer in 48h, like promised
- they offered to lend me a printer during those 48h.
Basically, best customer service I've ever dealt with.

Go color laser.
I probably should, but the price has always been a hurdle (though isn't laser awful for pictures?)

Sorry for the nearly ten year necro but I've just fallen victim to this epson scam of not being able to print a black and white document if a colour is out.

I'm really pissed.

Any recommendations for non scummy manufacturers of printers who don't cripple your printer?

In my understanding:
It's common for CMYK printers to lock you out because the "K" black is technically not true black (as from RGB + Black) and requires some CMY ink for the black the computer wants. You can try and set your computer to "Print grey scale black" or something to save ink, but I'm not sure if it'll circumvent the issue you're having.

I had a CMYK Brother printer (pretty old), and it locks you out without color, so yea, watch out. Can't recommend a model/brand because it's been a while since I used or bought one. ^.^

I probably should, but the price has always been a hurdle (though isn't laser awful for pictures?)

Color lasers are hella affordable now, especially in the long run because ink is the most overpriced shit in the world - one of the most expensive liquids people buy in their normal lives at $13/oz (more than fine champagne).

Also they do photos great IF you get photo paper and use the special loading tray.

SiRatul

Had both Epson and HP over the last years and they were total crap. My sis and I have been using Brother laser printers for the last few years. The black and white ones are very affordable (around 100€ with scanner and wifi) and have worked without any issues so far.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Get a black and white laser printer and if you ever need color print it at kinkos goddamn printers are a fucking scam and half

Anyone got any experience with EcoTank? I'm intrigued and have heard good things about them, but it would be nice to hear other opinions.

faridmon

I worked for Canon for a time. High level support , including engineering things like Novel and 'nix support. Many HP printers are essentially rebranded Canons. Their toner cartridges are fabricated in Canon factories. Epson basically just tries to reverse engineer Canon printers. All other printer manufacturers pay license fees for Canon intellectual property, regarding everything from how bubblejet printers work at just about every level, to how laser printer components work.

If you really need a printer for some reason, may as well shell out the extra money for a Canon.

Yeah. We have a Canon Printer at work and its been amazing with great support from the company.

Thats for business though, don't know about how a consumer one would fair

OP just buy cheap off-brand cartridges in bulk and you'll have enough supply to last you longer than the printer itself.

That's exactly what I do, my Epson C84 is older than this thread and it still works, for the little I print it's more than good enough.

Patrick S.

Banned
I print super rarely, so every time I really need to print something, my ink had dried and I had to spend a lot of money for new HP cartridges, because my HP AIO always has problems with off brand ones, like telling me the heads need to be aligned, but no matter how often I aligned them, the error never goes away.

Now I said fuck this and bought a used Samsung laser printer from 2011 that still has a half full toner, and I even got an off brand, full 2500 page toner along with it. I got it for €25 off eBay classifieds, and the guy still has three more after he had closed his business and is selling them now. I'm so damn happy with my purchase that I might even get another one of them in case mine breaks. Another €25 would give me another printer and another full replacement toner, can't beat that.

I remember people always recommended Brother laser printers, but I heard they have toner DRM now, too?

mcrommert

Banned
Stop buying ink jets... Wirecutter recommends a cheap brother and Samsung laser printer... That is definitely the way to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom